Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmmm... When you sign into the TTUHSC e-mail account, you sign in as ttuhsc/jsmith (if your name were John Smith), and the way my laptop was configured, the local account username would be jsmith, with the password being what's written on the post-it affixed to the keyboard of the laptop. Either way, I wouldn't panic, by looking at the Amarillo Itinerary it appears the IT Helpdesk has extended hours (after we're done for the day).

Thanks for your response. I was finally able to login, but not with the password in the laptop cover. Anyhow, my D820 doesn't seem to detect it's LAN port. It doesn't come on and the only option to connect to the internet (in order for me to load the LOJACK) is wireless or the 1394. I don't have a 1395/USB wire and I figured that the ethernet connection should work.

Any ideas?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

We're supposed to load the LOJACK? :confused:

Anyways, I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. My D820 also has a Cat5 slot, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. When I looked in my network connections the other day I remember seeing 3 types of connections, but now I only have 2. Then I looked in the device manager and noticed that it doesn't have any other kind of network device listed besides the wireless and firewire.

Also, I checked the dell site again to see if I could find the specifications for the laptops the school recommended and noticed that they're now on the Latitude D830... T_T

oh, I think I figured it out on accident. These Dell laptops sure are fancy nowadays. My previous one was from 4 years ago and is a lot different.

When you unplug the power adapter, the network card shuts off to conserve energy. I don't feel like bringing my plug over to my modem to test it out, but I think if you plug in your power, you should be able to use the ethernet port.

Guess it makes sense. Why would you be plugged into a router or modem but not have access to power? Those dell people are so clever!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, I think I figured it out on accident. These Dell laptops sure are fancy nowadays. My previous one was from 4 years ago and is a lot different.

When you unplug the power adapter, the network card shuts off to conserve energy. I don't feel like bringing my plug over to my modem to test it out, but I think if you plug in your power, you should be able to use the ethernet port.

Guess it makes sense. Why would you be plugged into a router or modem but not have access to power? Those dell people are so clever!!!!

You are so right! But I went ahead to set up the connection for LAN before realizing the card would shut off. I have a 4 year old Dell laptop as well.

And yes, if you got LOJACK, go ahead and set it up for immediate security. It requires that you be connected to the web for setup. That's why I was trying to set up the connection to begin with. Thanks for your response.:)

Is there any way to set thunderbird(or outlook) to not remove messages from the ttuhsc inbox? Is it because it's an IMAP and not a POP?

I haven't tried to set up my TTUHSC mail with thunderbird yet, but with Gmail's POP configuration, there is a setting where you can choose to leave the messages in the inbox as they are downloaded. I don't see anything like that in the settings menu in the webmail window. I don't know if IMAP makes a difference or not, but ask the IT helpdesk folks about it and see if there is a way to set that up.

Yep, I had the same issue. When AmaTechTel came to set up my abysmally slow DSL, I wanted to test the connection before they left, and I figured out that I had to plug in the AC power adapter to enable to LAN card.

Yes, I think I've set it to not remove things from all my other email accounts. I just can't find any way to not do it for ttuhsc. Tell me if you find a way, thanks.
And the username was weird. I got lucky and found a FAQ in the ttu site.

Username = ttuhsc/"eraider user name here"/"your first name"."your last name"

How do you install the LOJACK?

No idea on the low-jack, I didn't purchase it; I'll just be as careful as I can and not leave it sitting in the back of my car :).

Does anyone know what the oath we're doing tomorrow is? I found this on the AACP website:

http://www.aacp.org/site/tertiary.asp?CID=290&DID=4339

I sure hope that we weren't supposed to memorize this ahead of time :laugh:.

Is there any way to set thunderbird(or outlook) to not remove messages from the ttuhsc inbox? Is it because it's an IMAP and not a POP?

as far as i know, my outlook 2003 defaultly left the messages on the server. office 2007 may be different (it won't let me open it for the first time without being on the ttuhsc wired network :( )

as far as i know, my outlook 2003 defaultly left the messages on the server. office 2007 may be different (it won't let me open it for the first time without being on the ttuhsc wired network :( )

hey, I'm in richardson right this second, (my bro just moved over here from Useless) when do you head back up? I want my Kona

Is anyone else having trouble logging into Techsis? I was going to print out my schedule for tomorrow (to know section numbers and whatnot).

do we need our laptops for the first day of bootcamp?

And yes, I can't log onto techsis either. It says processing, then error. I'm pretty sure I'm signed up for the first 1170 class though, so I'll just go with that.

And yes, I can't log onto techsis either. It says processing, then error. I'm pretty sure I'm signed up for the first 1170 class though, so I'll just go with that.

Yeah, I think I remember signing up for section 404, but that was back in June :).

Mike Schwettmann had this line in an e-mail he sent out on August 3rd:

**BE SURE TO BRING YOUR LAPTOP WITH YOU ON MONDAY, AUGUST 6.

I suppose we need to ensure that we are able to connect to the wired and wireless networks. I see on the itinerary that there is a time slot (5-6PM) everyday of bootcamp to get this taken care of, I assume.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey so, i can't like delete this message.

1182644457886.jpg

hey, I'm in richardson right this second, (my bro just moved over here from Useless) when do you head back up? I want my Kona

saturday 11th

they'll have sheets of paper saying what section you're in

schwetty said:
**BE SURE TO BRING YOUR LAPTOP WITH YOU ON MONDAY, AUGUST 6.
this is because you are now surgically attached to your laptop. you will use them for learnz from day one.

I'm curious about how strict the Amarillo police are about speeding here (in general)? The last 3 mornings when driving down Coulter in between SW 45th and I-40 (where it's a 40 MPH zone), people are passing me like I'm standing still when I'm going the speed limit (or fairly close to it).

When I hit every light on red between 45th and I-40, it was tempting to fall in line :).

I'm curious about how strict the Amarillo police are about speeding here (in general)? The last 3 mornings when driving down Coulter in between SW 45th and I-40 (where it's a 40 MPH zone), people are passing me like I'm standing still when I'm going the speed limit (or fairly close to it).

When I hit every light on red between 45th and I-40, it was tempting to fall in line :).

You mean between the hour of 7 to 8am? I use the same path after 7:30a and I get moderatley heavy traffic every time. No speeding for me. I have no luck in the "pullover" department.

I don't get much traffic from where I live. I have to stop at the light at Amarillo blvd. and wallace, but the rest of the way is pretty quick. 5 minutes tops. I haven't seen anyone get pulled over in amarillo yet. I've seen police cars a few times though, and once I saw a car doing at least 100 on I40.

You mean between the hour of 7 to 8am? I use the same path after 7:30a and I get moderatley heavy traffic every time. No speeding for me. I have no luck in the "pullover" department.

Monday, I left at about 7:10, and on Tuesday I left around 8:00, and today at about 7:35. I haven't hit what I would deem "heavy traffic." From 3 years of commuting in the Denton, TX area (6 lanes => 2 on I-35 most of the time, construction galore), I consider anything more than an average of 20MPH to be "freely flowing." :) No joke, many times it took me 75 and up to 150 minutes to drive 15-20 miles :mad:.

Also concerning traffic: I remember seeing on the local news when I first moved here something about Amarillo installing red-light traffic cameras. Does anyone know anything about this? It's not a big deal to me because we had them in everywhere DFW, but almost every time I approach a light, I see someone clearly run a red.

it takes me 3 minutes to get from winchester to the building. if they ruined the parking lot with that new construction i will be sad. :(

as for police, i think they don't really patrol all that much around the NW part of town (since there are very few residences compared to the rest of town). I also think my school of pharmacy sticker belies my car's "give me a ticket" looks, but i could be wrong.

The only place I've seen cops more than once are near coulter/I-40 mall area and on wallace (when they were fixing the 9th St. bridge). Otherwise they hang out near the 'other' side of town...

it takes me 3 minutes to get from winchester to the building. if they ruined the parking lot with that new construction i will be sad. :(

as for police, i think they don't really patrol all that much around the NW part of town (since there are very few residences compared to the rest of town). I also think my school of pharmacy sticker belies my car's "give me a ticket" looks, but i could be wrong.

The only place I've seen cops more than once are near coulter/I-40 mall area and on wallace (when they were fixing the 9th St. bridge). Otherwise they hang out near the 'other' side of town...

Good to know :thumbup:

Hey Im trying to get someone to take over my apartment. Im a P3 and I need to move ASAP. My apartment is incredibly close to the school also (at the Rennaisance). Its a 2 bed/2 bath 1st floor apartment with free covered parking right outside the front door and its close to the pool. I dont smoke and I dont have any pets. For students, its $804/mo with $300 deposit. I really dont want to pay a reletting fee so any inquiries are more than welcomed!