Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh if only i had known about this forum BEFORE my interview! oh well.here to help those who havent had theirs yet..cuz that's what we're all here for right?
i had mine at a&m on feb. 28th at 4. i loved everything about it! the school is so fair in their admissions process. and it is exactly as shewpharm described the process. 250 interviews will be held..90 accepted. and they rank everyone on a points system. very relaxed interview..so don't go crazy. hope thats comforting for some of yall!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I just found SDN recently and it's been helpful so I want to provide some info that may be of use. I just had my interview here and it was pleasant =) The whole process is only about 2 hours. When you first walk in, you are greeted and sign in. Be sure to bring a photo id. Then you are placed in a room with the other people in your interview group (10 in mine). Everyone is nervous so try to make small talk and get to know them, it helps calm the uneasy mood. They could be your future classmates! When the time comes, a faculty member will come in and greet everyone and tell you the whole process. Like everyone has been saying, I think there were about 575 applications, 375 met the minimum requirements, and the top 250 out of those 375 were selected for interview. So be happy if you have an interview, cause you're a strong enough candidate to be called for interview. 90 out of those 250 will be accepted. I think I was told that they will start informing people if they are accepted on April 4th, after all the interviews are done.

After an initial explanation of the process, the group is split into 2. 1 group will do the writing sample first, while the other group does the interview. The writing sample is nothing to stress about, it is only 20 minutes. You draw randomly for the essay topics and all they're looking for is if you can basically write in coherent logical grammatically correct sentences. They even state they are not looking for English majors, just someone who has strong foundations in understanding how to write. For the interview part, it's 30 minutes. I was interviewed by a faculty member, a local pharmacist, and an outside pharmacist who was not from the area or affiliated with the school. The interview is very casual and they follow up on questions relating to your answers. For practice, do look at the questions they have posted on their website and think of possible answers. However they will most likely only ask about 2-3 of them. Relax and you guys will do fine. About the town, Kingsville is a really dead and rundown town in my opinion, but the pharmacy school is fantastic. I asked a P1 student what he does in free time, and he says most people go to Corpus to relax. The point being is that you're going here to become a pharmacist and I left with the impression that this school will not just give you the education, but will excel at it. Best of luck everyone =)

I don't mean to be a sore applicant or anything, but it bugs me that some people could never create an account to contribute anything. All of this time and they never asked questions, answered questions, or gave comments.

I don't expect people to post all the time or anything, but the fact that they bothered to create accounts just for that says something about their character, in my opinion.

Well Knick, I kinda agreed with you, but lately these newcomers are actually contributing good info... thanks people... way to make our resident SDN veteran eat his words. Keep talking up A&M those of you who came for interviews... the school deserves it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well Knick, I kinda agreed with you, but lately these newcomers are actually contributing good info... thanks people... way to make our resident SDN veteran eat his words. Keep talking up A&M those of you who came for interviews... the school deserves it.

I was talking specifically about the UT thread. Newcomers elsewhere have been making good posts.

well for both knick and robert.... i think its safe to say that we agree on one thing.. SDN FREAKIN ROCKS!!! I really don't know where I'd be without it!!!! :)

Hi there!.. i cant believe how helpful this site is!.. for those of you who have already gone to A&M interviews.. do you all have more feed back on the types of questions they actually ask ... are they general questions about yourself and about latest pharmacy news?.. any info. will be extremely useful to me!.. thanks!:)

Hi there!.. i cant believe how helpful this site is!.. for those of you who have already gone to A&M interviews.. do you all have more feed back on the types of questions they actually ask ... are they general questions about yourself and about latest pharmacy news?.. any info. will be extremely useful to me!.. thanks!:)

Mine was different. At first they ask me about myself, challenges you had to face and then they ask different questions out of my answers. There are 5 groups of interviewers (total 15 interviewers) so dep on who you get :) you'll get different questions.
Sorry if I didn't provide specific questions :)

Thanks!...very helpfull!...i just get more nervous as i count down the days till my interview!..its so stressful!!...lol:barf:

Thanks!...very helpfull!...i just get more nervous as i count down the days till my interview!..its so stressful!!...lol:barf:

lol don't be!!! i'm sure you will do fine. just remember, they're there to see who you are. you've done all the hardwork with school and PCAT and all that. now just go in there and show them what you're about. they are REALLY REALLY REALLY friendly and don't intimidate you at all. do yo thang :)

Everyone is saying they accepted 250 students for interview.

I think that's misleading, because their up-to-date website clearly states:
After February 1, approximately 100 applicants will be chosen to move to the next phase of the process.
Is 250 Approximately 100? No, not really, not out of a pool of a few hundred applicants it isn't.

Would the school lie about something so important? I don't think so.
And, yes, it is important. Students use this type of information, given at their website, to help them make decisions about where to apply and what to expect from the admissions process.

Their website says they are interviewing on five separate occasions: 28, 29, 6, 7, & 20. Were there 50 students present at your interview? Did they have multiple interview periods that day?

I just don't believe the school would misinform their applicants like this. "An aggie doesn't lie, cheat or steal."

Everyone is saying they accepted 250 students for interview.

I think that's misleading, because their up-to-date website clearly states: Is 250 Approximately 100? No, not really, not out of a pool of a few hundred applicants it isn't.

Would the school lie about something so important? I don't think so.
And, yes, it is important. Students use this type of information, given at their website, to help them make decisions about where to apply and what to expect from the admissions process.

Their website says they are interviewing on five separate occasions: 28, 29, 6, 7, & 20. Were there 50 students present at your interview? Did they have multiple interview periods that day?

I just don't believe the school would misinform their applicants like this. "An aggie doesn't lie cheat or steal."

Paracelsian,

I just had my interview on friday. They informed us that 250 students had been chosen for interviews. Out of that, 90 will be accepted. I don't know about their website... there are a couple things on there that I found quite misleading or not updated.

There are five sets of interviews throughout the day (10 applicants each). So there are 50 applicants interviewing per date. I think that chances of you getting in are pretty good. Realistically, from my interview group, Texas A&M didn't seem to be anyone's top choice. We only had one guy from the surrounding area/city who was interviewing for a spot. Everyone else was either from Austin, Houston, Dallas, or CS (others as well). Out of the 250 interviewees, 9 had PCAT scores of 99%. Don't really know if A&M is their top choice or not. I'm not trying to bash A&M but from what the applicants I've talked to, it seems students are more likely to go to a UT or UH or Texas Tech just because their programs have been around longer.

Don't misinterpret the information on the website as a lie. I HIGHLY doubt they did that on purpose. It's just that schools, esp new one's like A&M, expect that they may have a greater number of accepted applicants reject their offers. So no worries, this just gives other students a better chance of being accepted.

STATISTICS FOR THE 250 INTERVIEWEES:

Avergage GPA: 3.5
Avergae PCAT: 80%

Don't misinterpret the information on the website as a lie. I HIGHLY doubt they did that on purpose. It's just that schools, esp new one's like A&M, expect that they may have a greater number of accepted applicants reject their offers.
Well, this may be true, but they seemed to get enough students last year. It may be a lie by negligence, or a lie by intention; I'm not misinterpreting anything.

It's right there on the website: http://pharmacy.tamhsc.edu/prospective/application.html
I'm not exaggerating anything.

If 250 applicants are interviewed, and evaluated on a point system, it could be assumed that many of them have no chance of getting in, regardless of how well they do on the interview. Even if the rest of the students bombed the interview and ALL(90) of the first choice students rejected, with 250 to 90, still many would not cut it. This depends on how much the interview is worth, points-wise. But, for these students the interview is a complete waste of time, gas, and money, other than giving them experience interviewing. It stresses them out and gives them a false sense of hope. Now, maybe that is an exaggeration.

This doesn't seem very nice to the people below the 25 percentile when only 36% of those interviewed are accepted, it seems malicious. If I knew I had no chance, I'd much rather not go through the interview process. Would you?

Well, this may be true, but they seemed to get enough students last year. A lie by negligence, or a lie by intention; I'm not misinterpreting anything.

If 250 applicants are interviewed, and evaluated on a point system, it could be assumed that many of them have no chance of getting in, regardless of how well they do on the interview. Even if the rest of the students bombed the interview and ALL(90) of the first choice students rejected, with 250 to 90, still they could not cut it. This depends on how much the interview is worth, points-wise. But, for these students the interview is a complete waste of time, gas, and money, other than giving them experience interviewing.

That's kinda true but I wouldn't say a COMPLETE waste of time. I mean something like ~360 students made the minimum requirements and 250 were chosen from that. The interview is worth a good amount of points... 25 to be exact. While the essay you do during the interview is worth 10 points (correct me if i'm wrong). Your GPA and PCAT are worth 15 points a piece. Your LOR are worth 10 points. I don't remember what the other points go towards but as you can see... you have the potential to recieve 35 points on the day of your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of the 250 interviewees, 9 had PCAT scores of 99%. I'm pretty sure A&M isn't their top choice.

I think A&M Kingsville is RobertZ's top choice and I believe he made a 99 on his pcat. I apologize in advance if I am wrong.

Out of the 250 interviewees, 9 had PCAT scores of 99%. I'm pretty sure A&M isn't their top choice. I'm not trying to bash A&M but the reality is that students are more likely to go to a UT or UH or Texas Tech just because their programs have been around longer.

Where did you get these statistics for interviewees?

Dr. Robertson told us piror to our interview. He's the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and he's the person who ranked all the applicants according to GPA and PCAT (I would assume that means he chose the interviewees???). In addition, A&M never sends out rejection letters. You are kept "active" up until classes begin.

I think A&M Kingsville is RobertZ's top choice and I believe he made a 99 on his pcat. I apologize in advance if I am wrong.

That is quite an accomplishment. If that is true... I commend you Robert!!! I must admit, when it comes to A&M, they had an EXTREMELY friendly faculty and Dr. Robertson is real cool!!! I do think the school has come a long way in its 2 years in operation!!! The Dean is doing a great job of getting the name out there and showing that the school is up there with UT, UH, Tech, and others. Like I said, thus far, they have had one of the nicest faculty I have met!!!

Yes, all that is true... and I heard the same stats that Achilleus heard. Makes me wonder if perhaps you were at the 4:00 Friday slot??? I think that those of you who interview there will see why I like the place so much. The faculty will bend over backwards to accommodate the students in any way they can.

I just wish that everyone could have met Dr. Bleidt the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs... I think he was in one of the interview panel groups... in 5 minutes I believe he could sell anyone on the place.

I've met several of the faculty there before but I wasn't at all familiar with either of the two professors who interviewed me Friday. They were just as nice and friendly as all the others though.

As far as the other eight 99 PCAT A&M interviewers... Shewpharm is another among that group whose first choice is A&M (Also from TAMU-Kingsville if it is who I think it is - No we didn't test at the same time or place).

Knick's PCAT was up there too if I remember correctly...

I've visited UT and I can honestly say it just didn't have the same feel to me. Tech-Abilene, the other school I applied/interviewed at may have the student family atmosphere but I don't feel like they have it all together quite as well yet as A&M (plus the whole distance learning thing is a turn-off).

P.S. There isn't anything overly exciting about the city itself... you have to go to Corpus for that.

Yes, all that is true... and I heard the same stats that Achilleus heard. Makes me wonder if perhaps you were at the 4:00 Friday slot??? I think that those of you who interview there will see why I like the place so much. The faculty will bend over backwards to accommodate the students in any way they can.

As far as the other eight 99 PCAT A&M interviewers... Shewpharm is another among that group whose first choice is A&M (Also from TAMU-Kingsville if it is who I think it is - No we didn't test at the same time or place).

I've visited UT and I can honestly say it just didn't have the same feel to me. Tech-Abilene, the other school I applied/interviewed at may have the student family atmosphere but I don't feel like they have it all together quite as well yet as A&M (plus the whole distance learning thing is a turn-off).

P.S. There isn't anything overly exciting about the city itself... you have to go to Corpus for that.

yea i had the 4:00 slot. I remember you!!! I was the guy from houston; black suit; red tie; short black hair that was combed back; european looking one. i had my interview at 4... i believe you had your essay at that time. lol... "ohhhh yea... traffic was horrible. i was afraid i'd miss my interview" hahaha

yea i can see why you like it so much. it's just A LOT different there than what i'm used to. i'm so used to the big city so places like UH are a little better for me. yea but the faculty is amazing. Dr. Freeman and I hit it off real well!!!! We had a lot in common and he was very interested in my long term goals!!! I can honestly say that's a first from any faculty member i've interviewed with thus far from any school - yet to interview with UH tho =))))))))))))))

Black hair combed back... you wouldn't happen to look a lot like Andy Garcia would you?

Sorry to take up all this space with our 2 day interview reunion... but the Andy Garcia thing was the very first thing that hit me when I walked into the room. Wow... SDN people are real... I hope to see you in August... or whenever that orientation thing is.

Btw... the student that was talking down Javelina Station as a living place at the end was... unusual. I'd say that's where the majority of non-familied (made a word up) pharmacy students live, I don't think it is as pricey as he stated, and it is already furnished which is a big plus. I plan on living there next fall even if I don't get into pharmacy school... but I hope I do. I'm currently in the campus dorms which I wouldn't recommend for a pharmacy student but they are part of my housing scholarship and work for an undergraduate.

I just noticed you said you interviewed with Dr. Freeman. I interviewed with Drs. Freeman and Ratka too... that's crazy.

Yeah, I guess that I'm one of the nine.

During my time at UT, I spoke to one faculty member for about 15 seconds. My interviewers included one student and one alumni who works for HEB. It sucks because people who had faculty for their interview were asked about their research. Everything else was run by students. That sort of makes me feel that they aren't as interested in me as I am in them.

Tech was my second interview, so it was a big shock to have so much faculty involvement and being treated like they cared. I agree with the distance stuff, though. If I wind up going there, I'm going to ask if I can go to Amarillo instead.

My A&M interview is on the 20th, so I'll see how it goes.

Yeah, I guess that I'm one of the nine.

During my time at UT, I spoke to one faculty member for about 15 seconds. My interviewers included one student and one alumni who works for HEB. It sucks because people who had faculty for their interview were asked about their research. Everything else was run by students. That sort of makes me feel that they aren't as interested in me as I am in them.

Tech was my second interview, so it was a big shock to have so much faculty involvement and being treated like they cared. I agree with the distance stuff, though. If I wind up going there, I'm going to ask if I can go to Amarillo instead.

My A&M interview is on the 20th, so I'll see how it goes.

I changed my interview to the 20th too. What time is yours?

I have an interview at A&M on March 7th and am really looking forward to it. I had a question for all those who already interviewed, did they say how many out of state applicants they admit? I know Texas schools prefer in state people and was just wondering.

I interviewed on Friday the 29th at 2:30 and I was really shocked with how many Asian folks there were with me. I'm indian so technically I guess I fall in that category, but I figured there would be more diversity among the groups. I mean there was one white guy, me, and the rest were asian. Not sure how the demographics break down at the school or if they have certain quotas to fill, anyone care to enlighten me?

I interviewed on Friday the 29th at 2:30 and I was really shocked with how many Asian folks there were with me. I'm indian so technically I guess I fall in that category, but I figured there would be more diversity among the groups. I mean there was one white guy, me, and the rest were asian. Not sure how the demographics break down at the school or if they have certain quotas to fill, anyone care to enlighten me?

These are the stats from those admitted the last two year. This is straight from the tamhsc website:

Fall 2007
49% female and 51% male
31% Asian, 4 % Black, 36% Hispanic, 29% White, and 0% Other

Fall 2006
45% female and 55% male
23% Asian, 3% Black, 37% Hispanic, 34% White, and 3% Other

That may have been an anomaly with your group... i don't know. Per the website which i can vouch for with my own observations...

"This class gender is approximately 45% female and 55% male. The class ethnicity consists of 23% Asian, 3% Black, 37% Hispanic, 34% White, and 3% Other"

That seems pretty balanced relatively speaking to me...

There are no serious quotas that I know of... however south Texas applicants do get preference of a few points in the whole point system thing... but I know of only three TAMU-Kingsville interviewees including myself and all are Caucasian... I claim Irish... I really have no proof.

My group was pretty well diversified...

<EDIT> Ok its not a race Andy...

What I like about TAMHSC is that they don't have rolling admissions unlike most schools. they wait until all the interviews are finished and then they decide. Everyone gets a fair chance, no matter what day you interview. pretty good stuff right there

When our school's pre-pharmacy organization toured UT I was surprised by how many of their students expressed respect for A&M's school. Some had interviewed, others had toured... but even if some of us don't end up there its good that the school is presenting itself so well... especially for a newer school.

For instance, I dont know much at all about UIW other than it is Fake and expensive... i mean Feik. (lame I know forgive me)

I actually wish it was rolling because I'm dying over here. This is my top school even if UH and Tech come calling. I was blown away by the facility and staff. I would like to know what my future has in store for me NOW so I can stop worrying and get some sleep this next month.

Anyone else interviewing at 1:00PM on March, 20th?

By the way, does anyone know if there are any nursing jobs in Kingsville? If I have to move there my wife and I would have to relocate and she would have to find a job so we we're wondering what is available out there. Thanks in advance.

Hi

Last edited:
Where are you coming from?

I'm flying from

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the places the P1 recommended to live at? I saw some apartments that looked really nice and pretty new near the campus - what was the name of it?

Does anyone remember the places the P1 recommended to live at? I saw some apartments that looked really nice and pretty new near the campus - what was the name of it?

http://www.javelinastation.com/

This is where I'm planning to be. It's probably what you saw near the campus. Most of the pharmacy students who don't have families live here. The P1 student at my interview was talking about some places on the south side of town.

As for Nursing jobs... there is one hospital in town: Christus Spohn... that's probably your best bet... I don't know of their hiring needs or anything though (Their director of pharmacy is on the 9 member Texas State Board).

hey, for the ones that interviewed this weekend, when they mentioned the 250 interviews, does anyone one know if they are all scheduled already? are they still sending out invites? I know people have set dates for the 20th already, so do you think they are full by now?

this sucks, I didnt get anything yet, I wonder if I am still a contender.

http://www.javelinastation.com/

This is where I'm planning to be. It's probably what you saw near the campus. Most of the pharmacy students who don't have families live here. The P1 student at my interview was talking about some places on the south side of town.

As for Nursing jobs... there is one hospital in town: Christus Spohn... that's probably your best bet... I don't know of their hiring needs or anything though (Their director of pharmacy is on the 9 member Texas State Board).

Is there another one because the link you provided isnt showing me shots of the area I drove by when heading to the campus? It looked really nice and kind of out of place in relation to the other houses and buildings.

I'm flying from CA.

Oh hmmm... maybe robertzim can help you out with this being that he knows the area better than most of us here. I would probably fly down to corpus christi, rent a car, drive down to the school, then drive back after the interview was over. i don't know that kingsville has a airport or if there are any airports closer then the one in corpus (which is about 45 mins away from the school). thats what i would do but again u might wanna check with robertzim and see if he has insight on this. hope this helps

Anyone knows if there's any traffic congestion in Kingsville around 4pm everyday? I am afraid that if I drive from Houston at 11pm then I wouldn't be there in time.:eek:

Anyone knows if there's any traffic congestion in Kingsville around 4pm everyday? I am afraid that if I drive from Houston at 11pm then I wouldn't be there in time.:eek:

I had my interview at 4 and got to the school at 3:30. there was no congession at all. i left my house at 10:30am from sugarland (southwest houston) and got there at around 3:15-3:30. watch out when ur on 77... there are a BUTT LOAD of cops!!! i'm not even exaggerating, i must've seen 15 ppl get stopped my whole trip and i think thats an underestimate!!!! crazy mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

I had my interview at 4 and got to the school at 3:30. there was no congession at all. i left my house at 10:30am from sugarland (southwest houston) and got there at around 3:15-3:30. watch out when ur on 77... there are a BUTT LOAD of cops!!! i'm not even exaggerating, i must've seen 15 ppl get stopped my whole trip and i think thats an underestimate!!!! crazy mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Sugar Land is exactly where I am from!!~~Thanks for the info.:)

I don't know of any other way for someone from CA to get here reasonably other than as was mentioned flying into Corpus and renting a car. I don't know of any taxi services that run from corpus to Kingsville (its like 45 minutes of burnt off cotton fields.)

As far as other apartments... there are some... I don't specifically know which ones you are referencing SA... javelina station is Northwest across Corral Ave from the campus, the Squares are directly across Corral Ave to the North of campus (I wouldn't want to live there), theres a couple of other ones on Corral that I've never really checked out but don't look too enticing from the street in my opinon. The student who spoke to us at the end of my groups interview referenced the apartment complexes on the south side of town near walmart.

There is no traffic to worry about at all UNLESS you happen to meet a train stopped on the tracks in the middle of town which does tend to happen. I would suggest that you make sure to keep a map of the city with you in your car so you can redirect yourself up the tracks to a different unblocked crossing if you have to. (ie Sometimes King and Santa Gertrudis will be blocked but Corral will be clear or vice versa). I doubt this will be a problem at 4 but... you know... Murphy's Law.

P.S. The worst Speed trap on 77 is in the small city of Driscoll about 15 min north of Kingsville. Make sure you go the 40 mph or whatever (maybe slower during school times). Most of the people that get pulled over are pulling trailers and such (the cops will make up any excuse to pull those over just to search for illegals and/or drugs).

I guess it was Javelina. Hey Zimmerman, since you know so much about the school, how do you think having a degree vs. doing just the pre-reqs looks to the admissions committee? I noticed ALOT of people in my group did not/ were not getting their degree.

I guess it was Javelina. Hey Zimmerman, since you know so much about the school, how do you think having a degree vs. doing just the pre-reqs looks to the admissions committee? I noticed ALOT of people in my group did not/ were not getting their degree.

Hey RZ, imma just put my two cents in here just cuz Dr. Roberston came up to houston and talked about this during his visit. Please correct me if i am mistaken or add anything.

Dr. Roberston told us (UH Pre-Pharmacy Association) that having a degree does help you get an interview. But once you get the interview, that is as far as your degree will take you. Having a degree gives you no advantage on being accepted but will help you in obtaining an interview.

earlier i was reading posts about how people thougth a&m was "lying" about the # of people they are interviewing/accepting. I was as shocked as you because I read up on the school and the past years' stats showed that anyone with an interview basically had a GREAT chance of getting accepted (like 77 out of 100). I think a&m just forgot to update their website. so don't think the school is corrupt. besides, every year's stats are different. this year hasn't completed...so they'll probably update later??

as for the interview: dr. robertson was extremely nice and very detailed when speaking about the admissions process so once you go on your interview you won't have any ?s really. my interviewers asked things like talk about yourself & why do you want to be a pharmacist ( of course) then they asked ?s based on my answers. it was VERY cool & i have to say one of the best experiences ive ever had (even if it was my first real interview ever!) & it is REALLY nice that they don't do rolling admissions, but it is SO difficult waiting until that april 4th date to roll around to see who all makes it.

oh yea..my group consisted of 6 asians out of 10 interviewees. i was part of the 6 asians. lol :D

earlier i was reading posts about how people thougth a&m was "lying" about the # of people they are interviewing/accepting. I was as shocked as you because I read up on the school and the past years' stats showed that anyone with an interview basically had a GREAT chance of getting accepted (like 77 out of 100). I think a&m just forgot to update their website. so don't think the school is corrupt. besides, every year's stats are different. this year hasn't completed...so they'll probably update later??

as for the interview: dr. robertson was extremely nice and very detailed when speaking about the admissions process so once you go on your interview you won't have any ?s really. my interviewers asked things like talk about yourself & why do you want to be a pharmacist ( of course) then they asked ?s based on my answers. it was VERY cool & i have to say one of the best experiences ive ever had (even if it was my first real interview ever!) & it is REALLY nice that they don't do rolling admissions, but it is SO difficult waiting until that april 4th date to roll around to see who all makes it.

oh yea..my group consisted of 6 asians out of 10 interviewees. i was part of the 6 asians. lol :D

another pleasant experience =)
i hate that ppl dawg on A&M without knowing anything about the school!!! "its not fully accredited so it must not be good" ---> ummm what kinda thinking is that???? its two years old... of course its not fully accredited!!! schools have to graduate their first class to be fully accredited!!!
but i'm glad everyone here had a pleasant experience so far!!! :D

can't wait til april for the results!! good luck, everyone. btw, how are interviews going? aren't the facilities impressive? such a cute little town!