Teaching style of KCUCOM/Touro-Nevada vs ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a really quick question! I wanted to know if anyone knows the teaching style in KCUCOM and Touro-Nevada compared to ACOM?
So I got accepted to ACOM and I love their teaching style which is heavily team based. I rejected LECOM because the teaching style is more PBL rather than TBL, so I denied an interview there. Does anyone know if KCUCOM and Touro-Nevada is more TBL or PBL? I can't really find information about this, except for KCUCOM that says it has some critical thinking learning in class? But that really doesn't show anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't describe ACOM's teaching curriculum as heavily team based since we work in teams to solve clinical scenarios once every 1-3 weeks. Overall, the teaching style is fine.

I wouldn't describe ACOM's teaching curriculum as heavily team based since we work in teams to solve clinical scenarios once every 1-3 weeks. Overall, the teaching style is fine.
Oh when I went to interview, I was told that was a huge feature they pushed at ACOM, that they were trying to really push teamwork in it. Is that not how it works?? Because that is one big thing I do love about learning, is learning in teams!
Also any advice on the other schools? :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Always best to inquire in the school-specific threads.

Hey I have a really quick question! I wanted to know if anyone knows the teaching style in KCUCOM and Touro-Nevada compared to ACOM?
So I got accepted to ACOM and I love their teaching style which is heavily team based. I rejected LECOM because the teaching style is more PBL rather than TBL, so I denied an interview there. Does anyone know if KCUCOM and Touro-Nevada is more TBL or PBL? I can't really find information about this, except for KCUCOM that says it has some critical thinking learning in class? But that really doesn't show anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh when I went to interview, I was told that was a huge feature they pushed at ACOM, that they were trying to really push teamwork in it. Is that not how it works?? Because that is one big thing I do love about learning, is learning in teams!
Also any advice on the other schools? :D

It's not a daily thing. Maybe they'll integrate more TBL lectures for your year and future classes. They just opened up the new TBL space so we haven't had ample opportunities for a lot of TBLs, which is fine with me. You will work in groups for the Primary Clinical Skills classes, so that's a plus for you :D

The TBL at ACOM is more of a supplement to their actual curriculum... like was mentioned above, it is only every few weeks..

The TBL at ACOM is more of a supplement to their actual curriculum... like was mentioned above, it is only every few weeks..
I wonder why they pushed the idea of teamwork so much in my interview this year D: They really seemed to push it. So is the curriculum the same pretty much at every school?
Also do you have any information on the other schools? I'm very curious about them :)

I wonder why they pushed the idea of teamwork so much in my interview this year D: They really seemed to push it. So is the curriculum the same pretty much at every school?
Also do you have any information on the other schools? I'm very curious about them :)

Probably to show off the new TBL space.

Reactions: 1 users
All that Tbl crap sounded pretty annoying. Maybe someone at acom can chime in on this. Isn't mandatory attendance bad enough?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

I really felt like the interview at ACOM was a huge sales pitch, I didn't like it much. Curriculums vary by school, of your two listed above I know the most about KCU. It is intense to say the least.

I really felt like the interview at ACOM was a huge sales pitch, I didn't like it much. Curriculums vary by school, of your two listed above I know the most about KCU. It is intense to say the least.
So KCU seemed pretty intense to say the least? Compared to ACOM? Can I ask why you would say this?

So KCU seemed pretty intense to say the least? Compared to ACOM? Can I ask why you would say this?

Because their curriculum is really intense? I don't know what you want me to say. They cover each system twice, it's really conducive to good board scores though.

ACOM's mandatory attendance was a big turn off for me. If you have interviews to the other two I would go to those to at least check it out for yourself.

Agree with the above. Mandatory class attendance is a massive time sink for individuals who are self sufficient learners and know how to time manage and get **** done.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If im not mistaken KCU has tests nearly weekly? I know Touro Nevada has one big exam at the end of each block

I think KCU's comlex average being 30+ points above the national average should speak for itself. That being said, you have to put in the work yourself to do well on boards, I doubt the curriculum makes too much of a difference.

If im not mistaken KCU has tests nearly weekly? I know Touro Nevada has one big exam at the end of each block

Not "nearly" every week. It will vary between 2-3 weeks. About halfway through the semester yes it will become almost every week because you have to take midterms for the semester long exams (OS and clinical medicine) in addition to your normal course. This also occurs near the end of the semester but it's staggered in a way that you can get some time to study for the other exams after you're done with the other.
I think KCU's comlex average being 30+ points above the national average should speak for itself. That being said, you have to put in the work yourself to do well on boards, I doubt the curriculum makes too much of a difference.

I think what makes KCU's curriculum successful is not only covering systems twice but literally making 2nd year brutally hard haha. Our required textbook is Big Robbins. You cannot pass any exam doing pathoma. The pathologists who teach these courses have studied pathoma, and have small robbins and pocket robbins in their office to ensure what minutiae they test is only found big. So it forces you to read and study like you never have in your life or first year of med school for that matter. Add in the fact that every exam questions is a minimum third to fourth order you start to realize they push you a bit further and so far, coming back to start reviewing for boards has made path, pharm, and micro much easier because you had to know high yield to just get through the case but had to know more to answer the question.

Reactions: 3 users
Not "nearly" every week. It will vary between 2-3 weeks. About halfway through the semester yes it will become almost every week because you have to take midterms for the semester long exams (OS and clinical medicine) in addition to your normal course. This also occurs near the end of the semester but it's staggered in a way that you can get some time to study for the other exams after you're done with the other.

I think what makes KCU's curriculum successful is not only covering systems twice but literally making 2nd year brutally hard haha. Our required textbook is Big Robbins. You cannot pass any exam doing pathoma. The pathologists who teach these courses have studied pathoma, and have small robbins and pocket robbins in their office to ensure what minutiae they test is only found big. So it forces you to read and study like you never have in your life or first year of med school for that matter. Add in the fact that every exam questions is a minimum third to fourth order you start to realize they push you a bit further and so far, coming back to start reviewing for boards has made path, pharm, and micro much easier because you had to know high yield to just get through the case but had to know more to answer the question.

shhh
don't let out trade secrets!

yeah I don't think any of the schools you mention are actually super team-based. I think the main thing that stood out to me as team based at ACOM was the test review after each exam where students go through the questions they missed and if there's one that seemed unfair, they can petition to have it thrown out.

KCU seemed lecture intensive, especially with covering the systems twice -- although I think the first go-through with the normal and then second with pathology is really great and makes a lot of sense.

tbh TUN felt like a sales pitch the entire day for me, which just goes to show how variable personal feelings can be. it's also lecture-based.

also is LECOM-Bradenton the II you declined? because their PBL is essentially team-based learning.. I'm not sure what you mean by it's more PBL than TBL, unless TBL doesn't stand for team-based like I'm assuming. but if you meant for LECOM-Erie, you can rank which styles of learning you prefer whether that's individual study, problem-based learning, or traditional lecture-intensive.

yeah I don't think any of the schools you mention are actually super team-based. I think the main thing that stood out to me as team based at ACOM was the test review after each exam where students go through the questions they missed and if there's one that seemed unfair, they can petition to have it thrown out.

KCU seemed lecture intensive, especially with covering the systems twice -- although I think the first go-through with the normal and then second with pathology is really great and makes a lot of sense.

tbh TUN felt like a sales pitch the entire day for me, which just goes to show how variable personal feelings can be. it's also lecture-based.

also is LECOM-Bradenton the II you declined? because their PBL is essentially team-based learning.. I'm not sure what you mean by it's more PBL than TBL, unless TBL doesn't stand for team-based like I'm assuming. but if you meant for LECOM-Erie, you can rank which styles of learning you prefer whether that's individual study, problem-based learning, or traditional lecture-intensive.

Isn't this exactly what TUN does too? I remember the new dean mentioning this at the interview.

Isn't this exactly what TUN does too? I remember the new dean mentioning this at the interview.

I think so, I remember him reiterating many times how they're structuring the new TUN curriculum based off of KCU's proven one. believe the class of 2021 will be the test run.

I'm not really sure because in my interview ACOM really pushed the idea of learning in a team and I really love learning in teams. When online, I was finding that project based learning seemed more independent(from peoples perspective of being students) and ACOM pushed team so much, I assumed it was far more about team learning. However, now people are saying it isn't very team oriented which is leaving me with a ton of ????? on my head.
So does no school really push teamwork? Is most just independent studying?

I'm not really sure because in my interview ACOM really pushed the idea of learning in a team and I really love learning in teams. When online, I was finding that project based learning seemed more independent(from peoples perspective of being students) and ACOM pushed team so much, I assumed it was far more about team learning. However, now people are saying it isn't very team oriented which is leaving me with a ton of ????? on my head.
So does no school really push teamwork? Is most just independent studying?

At every school the bulk of studying and learning will be solo. From my understanding the team thing at ACOM is that you meet every few weeks to do essentially case problems that incorporate everything you have learned, more of an application of knowledge if you will, to help drive the points home. All schools push teamwork but I think that the kind of team learning you are talking about doesn't exist during pre-clinical years.