SUNY Downstate vs University of Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awang85284

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was recently accepted to both these schools on the waitlist. I am an Arizona resident, but I also like the experience I could get clinically at suny. Any information or opinions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was recently accepted to both these schools on the waitlist. I am an Arizona resident, but I also like the experience I could get clinically at suny. Any information or opinions would be very helpful.

Thanks

I'd say go with what costs less....but one thing that I guess we should all know is whether the clinical experience at UofA is significantly different from Downstate? If it is indeed, then you may want to consider Downstate, but I'd say stick with UofA assuming it's cheaper and located in a "better area".

If I'm reading this correct, the tuition is ~11k per semester. You will save a good deal of money going to Arizona considering cost of living is also substantially lower. Go with Arizona.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm reading this correct, the tuition is ~11k per semester. You will save a good deal of money going to Arizona considering cost of living is also substantially lower. Go with Arizona.

Tuition is not that low. It's about the same as the in state tuition as suny I think. Though cost of living would be higher. Another factor making this difficult for me to decide is that I have spent 4 years as an undergrad at Arizona, and this may be an exciting experience going to school in new York. But maybe I'm just being stupid even questioning to go to suny over az.

Depends how much you want to stay in Arizona, I'm a arizona resident as well, got into UA Tucson and another state school which was more expensive, but I rather go to the OOS. Additionally, look at the stats of the two school, and see which school has similar stats to your case. UA average MCAT is a 29-30 while downstate is closer to 32. Now if you think of the kind of students that get these scores what kinda of student do you want to be around. And before anyone gets antsy I know scores aren't everything but there is a small correlation between scores and type of student.

UA average MCAT is a 29-30 while downstate is closer to 32. Now if you think of the kind of students that get these scores what kinda of student do you want to be around. And before anyone gets antsy I know scores aren't everything but there is a small correlation between scores and type of student.

I actually agree with this.

Tuition is not that low. It's about the same as the in state tuition as suny I think. Though cost of living would be higher. Another factor making this difficult for me to decide is that I have spent 4 years as an undergrad at Arizona, and this may be an exciting experience going to school in new York. But maybe I'm just being stupid even questioning to go to suny over az.

You will be paying around 48k in tuition first year @ DS and in addition, the living expenses are much higher. DS is a great place, I'll be attending next fall, just want you to realize that it's not just a drop in the bucket, the cost difference is still substantial.

go to Zona.

the whole MCAT comment is absolutely bogus. there are very nerdy people at all medical schools and very social people at all medical schools. trust me. i know.

SUNY will be depressing. you'll have more fun at Zona, the weather is legit, you've got all the college sports with zona gonna be dominant in basketball and top 3 in the pac 12 in football. at this point, ur probably like "what do i care man? i'm gonna be in med school."...ur going to need some mental breaks to survive. no place better to do down in t-town on 4th ave and at the games (yah, i'm a former wildcat lol) in awesome weather. snow and cold are downright depressing

the school is very reputable....i know it has been referenced at my medical school and i recall interviewing at places like UCLA that spoke very highly of it. you'll save money....and that's also key.

go to Zona.

the whole MCAT comment is absolutely bogus. there are very nerdy people at all medical schools and very social people at all medical schools. trust me. i know.

SUNY will be depressing. you'll have more fun at Zona, the weather is legit, you've got all the college sports with zona gonna be dominant in basketball and top 3 in the pac 12 in football. at this point, ur probably like "what do i care man? i'm gonna be in med school."...ur going to need some mental breaks to survive. no place better to do down in t-town on 4th ave and at the games (yah, i'm a former wildcat lol) in awesome weather. snow and cold are downright depressing

the school is very reputable....i know it has been referenced at my medical school and i recall interviewing at places like UCLA that spoke very highly of it. you'll save money....and that's also key.

Wait...you're an Arizona resident/went to undergrad at UofA? You're recommending that this applicant stay in Arizona.......but you didn't. I'm confused.

Wait...you're an Arizona resident/went to undergrad at UofA? You're recommending that this applicant stay in Arizona.......but you didn't. I'm confused.

the OOS medical school i attend (BCM) is less expensive than my former in-state medical school (UA).

additional reasons: Houston is warm (not cold like SUNY), Houston has the largest medical center in the world (TMC), and Houston has sports too that SUNY doesn't have...soo hopefully that clears up any confusion you may have!

I think your happiness/sanity is the most important factor, followed by cost. If you would be happy at either school, I'd go with the cheaper one. In my opinion, med school is what you make of it - search out great opportunities yourself if you don't feel the clinical experience is up to par. There's plenty to do to get more out of any school if you are proactive. In the end, I figure most students end up being happy with their schools and for the most part end up getting a similar education to every other school, so do yourself a favor and spend less $$. IMHO.

the OOS medical school i attend (BCM) is less expensive than my former in-state medical school (UA).

additional reasons: Houston is warm (not cold like SUNY), Houston has the largest medical center in the world (TMC), and Houston has sports too that SUNY doesn't have...soo hopefully that clears up any confusion you may have!

just to clarify, you're worried that NYC won't have enough championship caliber sports teams and/or other distractions, but arizona will? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.