Stupid/Silly things I read in residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
esclavo said:
"...I sucked puss..." It is like a play by play of the entire experience.
Complete with extracurriculars.

Members don't see this ad.

Externs suck puss? That place must let their externs do a LOT. I just thought they were good for pens and opening doors. :D

esclavo said:
I have to write this becaue I have read for the umpteenth time what happens on an OMFS externship. On the CV just list the externship place and the director of the externship and the date. "we wired jaws, and trached 4 patients, and rounded in the morning and rounded in the night and sewed lacerations, and raised flaps to pull out teeth, and we smelled beer on patients breath, and we sewed up those flaps with real stitches, and I sucked puss..." It is like a play by play of the entire experience. I'm like, gee thanks, otherwise I wouldn't have known what happens on those mysterious externships.

Personally, I'd just like a letter of recommendation from the director of that externship that says. "This guy busted his butt, took as much call as possible, listened, learned, and has potential as a future resident". Run with me for 48 hours and I (and anyone else on these externships) can get a glimpse at what your 95 boards score can't say.

Jediwendell said:
Externs suck puss? That place must let their externs do a LOT. I just thought they were good for pens and opening doors. :D

I've always enjoyed making the extern suck pus on a big PTA (decompressing these can be like a pus bomb) when the patient is awake, gagging, coughing, choking with pus and blood everywhere while simultaneous telling the extern, "quick, get it, don't let it go down the hatch"... makes for really entertaining show. I had one big old black dude just about punch the extern out...ahh memories

Members don't see this ad :)
sara25 said:
I see your point with the example above. If you would also list things that you DID like

So far, I liked it when our our pass deadline came...and I didn't have to read the incomplete files.

esclavo said:
So far, I liked it when our our pass deadline came...and I didn't have to read the incomplete files.

I can't believe you actually read that stuff?

north2southOMFS said:
I can't believe you actually read that stuff?

No doubt, I've made it this far in my education completely illiterate. Now I finally had to take on that prorogued duty of learning to read. You'd think someone would have picked up on it in grade school, high school, college or dental school.... you have to face your monsters at some point...

After finally getting around to looking at the applications, here are a few of my favorite things...

Utilization of superfluous G.R.E. vernacular to procreate a perspicacious, baronial disquisition to inculcate our coterie with their prodigious adroitness.

"I know everyone must say this, but I really want to help people."

While reading some of them, I feel like "Turn Around (Bright Eyes)" ought to be playing along, with the refrain coming at key points...

For those of you that are applying and interviewing, keep in mind that I don't care what your personal statement says or doesn't say. You've proven, by getting the interview, that the attendings feel that you are a qualified candidate. I only want to see if I like you, if I think you will work hard, and if I think you will sleep with TX_OMS's wife. Even if I don't like you, I'll vote for you if I think you'll do the latter.

OMFSCardsFan said:
After finally getting around to looking at the applications, here are a few of my favorite things...

Utilization of superfluous G.R.E. vernacular to procreate a perspicacious, baronial disquisition to inculcate our coterie with their prodigious adroitness.

"I know everyone must say this, but I really want to help people."

While reading some of them, I feel like "Turn Around (Bright Eyes)" ought to be playing along, with the refrain coming at key points...

For those of you that are applying and interviewing, keep in mind that I don't care what your personal statement says or doesn't say. You've proven, by getting the interview, that the attendings feel that you are a qualified candidate. I only want to see if I like you, if I think you will work hard, and if I think you will sleep with TX_OMS's wife. Even if I don't like you, I'll vote for you if I think you'll do the latter.

Maybe someone should start a dedicated thread on how much a resident's ass has been kissed by an interviewee.

:idea:

OMFSCardsFan said:

Or, what about ones that havent done a single externship and the reason they decided to apply was because they really enjoy doing extractions.

toofache32 said:
Been there, done that...
You have any little brothers (or I guess sisters) applying this year? I'll put in a good word for them, then...

WestCoast said:
Or, what about ones that havent done a single externship and the reason they decided to apply was because they really enjoy doing extractions.
Haven't seen any of those. Most of the people applying with us this year are way more qualified than I was. I'm kind of worried that they may be interviewing for my spot, too...

Members don't see this ad :)
omfsres said:
They are.

Jesus, omfsres, that is THE most disturbing avatar I have ever seen.

omfsres said:
They are.
Please tell me thay you didn't have to wear that thing around the hospital as an intern! :barf:

paceman said:
Jesus, omfsres, that is THE most disturbing avatar I have ever seen.

I can't decide if omfsres or drhobie7 has a more disturbing avatar: gential parts barely convered or David Hasselhoff. (Why do you guys have to torture us like this?!)

jk5177 said:
I can't decide if omfsres or drhobie7 has a more disturbing avatar: gential parts barely convered or David Hasselhoff. (Why do you guys have to torture us like this?!)

The battle of the most disturbing avatar is on! ....omfsres won. A close-up of the banana hammock is much worse than Hasselhoff....for now.

drhobie7 said:
The battle of the most disturbing avatar is on! ....omfsres won. A close-up of the banana hammock is much worse than Hasselhoff....for now.

I wish I could take credit, but I have a bad habit of leaving the computer logged on in the resident room. I guess its too tempting for the guys. I usually don't bother changing them. That's all right, cardsfan is still my bitch.

I thought my avatar was nice. Why does his chin look like a sac?

What if I wanted to go into OMS and wrote the following for my essay:

"I still want to be an oral surgeon despite the fact that an internet messageboard will be my main means of social interaction, and that when I say I am 'going out' I'm really going to make love to my keyboard and post on SDN".

Do I stand a chance?

DcS said:

"I still want to be an oral surgeon despite the fact that an internet messageboard will be my main means of social interaction, and that when I say I am 'going out' I'm really going to make love to my keyboard and post on SDN".

Do I stand a chance?

You make love to your keyboard?

north2southOMFS said:
You make love to your keyboard?

Not me, that would be esclavo.

Maybe I should be working instead of constantly surfing the net

sweet. let the contest begin...(of avatar codpieces that is)

OMFSCardsFan said:
Maybe I should be working instead of constantly surfing the net

Hey, did I miss anything in the PM Monday? Anyone self destruct? :smuggrin:

drhobie7 said:
sweet. let the contest begin...(of avatar codpieces that is)
What is more disturbing than the avatars is how TX_OMS finds the pics...

GatorDMD said:
The lists were already finished by then...anyway, the residents are always the drunkest kids around. We did have a good showing for that night...

I had a link up but it was just too weird. There are innocent pre-dents scouring this message board. Some things are best left unseen.

Getting back to the original thread....this is really entertaining. Got any other stupid things from applications/interviews?

GatorDMD said:
I self-destructed with multiple painful hiccups... Someone, please end me :scared: :scared:

DcS said:

Do I stand a chance?

Then, if I was an adcom I would be wondering why you haven't donated money to SDN, and why aren't you a moderator yet?

OMFSCardsFan said:
What is more disturbing than the avatars is how TX_OMS finds the pics...
smomcodpiece1iu.jpg

LOL!!!

LOL!!! Stupid!!!
LOL!!!

TiggerJSA said:
I self-destructed with multiple painful hiccups... Someone, please end me :scared: :scared:
:laugh: yeah man you got to get that checked before you do some damage. Any good "Tim and Al" action missed by my early departure? Someone had to come out the shed after a few drinks.

GatorDMD said:
Ha Ha!! You guys have the best humor!
Man, neurosyphilis can do odd things to some OMS residents :D :D

TiggerJSA said:
Man, neurosyphilis can do odd things to some OMS residents :D :D

Ha Ha!! It was odd that everyone had Chancre's, Maculopaplar rashes, and Gumma's. :confused: (probably spelled everything wrong)

tx oms said:
I don't know how you worked that out, but that rocks...very clever...I can't help but give you props for it...

Wow, that's oustanding! That takes me back to the good old days when me and my buddy would pull pranks on each other.

Wow, this forum is hitting all time lows...or highs...either way, good times.

Jeeez....you guys gotta get out more. I'm not even gonna touch this one.

toofache32 said:
Jeeez....you guys gotta get out more. I'm not even gonna touch this one.
I don't think anyone wants to do any "touching" when it comes to this thread!

drhobie7 said:
I had a link up but it was just too weird. There are innocent pre-dents scouring this message board. Some things are best left unseen.

Getting back to the original thread....this is really entertaining. Got any other stupid things from applications/interviews?

Damnit u idiots.... for god's sake, if u truly want to get into an OMFS residency, dress like what is expected of u. NO COWBOY BOOTS, NO BOW-TIES, NO FREAKY CLOTHING OR PIERCINGS, and again, NO BLOODY COW-BOY BOOTS!!!!!!! For one day in your life, just wear a simple black suit, white shirt, properly tied Tie, and black polished shoes. Is it too much to ask for??????

Once you are in an OMFS residency, wear whatever the hell u want... That will probably only last 2-3 days before your attendings kick ur @$$.

If you are gonna show up to the interview in Bright Snake-Skin Cowboy Boots, you better have spurs on them, and your horse better be tied outside of the waiting room!

Bifid Uvula said:
If you are gonna show up to the interview in Bright Snake-Skin Cowboy Boots, you better have spurs on them, and your horse better be tied outside of the waiting room!
I knew that when I wore those cowboy boots I shouldn't have worn those backless chaps too :eek: :eek: But still, my ass looks damn good in those things :love: :love:

TiggerJSA said:
I knew that when I wore those cowboy boots I shouldn't have worn those backless chaps too :eek: :eek: But still, my ass looks damn good in those things :love: :love:
:laugh: you did look good in those :laugh:

At least one of our guys wore brown jeans and cowboy boots while conducting the interview.

tx oms said:
At least one of our guys wore brown jeans and cowboy boots while conducting the interview.

But he was a stud. :D

Um long time listener, first time caller.

I cannot believe you wasted your time editing that google search, you are seriously a joke irl.

I dont know either of you, nor do I really care to take up for one of you, but that strikes me as being completely homo.

1FutureDDS said:
I cannot believe you wasted your time editing that google search, you are seriously a joke irl.

What is a joke irl?