If you are applying to OMFS read this thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Curious how often private practice (or mostly PP) OMFS does benign path stuff. I could see this being a big part of PP along with dentoalveolar, but I say that as a student, so obviously no clue.
Not a big part definitely done in private practice (obviously varies by clinician, just speaking in general).
A lot of larger lesions that require more complex treatment are commonly referred to OMFS programs.
Pre malignant and Malignant pathology also commonly referred out as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes but most practicing OMFS do not make their career on orthognathics / trauma / TMJ / pathology

So you are saying you want a full time dentoalveolar residency? If you need to spend 3.5 - 4 years to get good at dentoalveolar; something is very wrong with the program or the residents.

It is nice to have the option to do some of the orthognathics / trauma / TMJ / pathology. And just because it may only make a periphery of your billable procedures; a lot of private practice OMS still do some of it. Once again, also useful for boards and providing a one-stop shop for your referrals.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask the outgoing chiefs about the program during the interview… they’re usually chilling in the back enjoying the free food and drinks… they have no reason to fluff things for you…they’ll never have to work with you.
They've been drinking the kool aid for the last 4-6 years.
I don't think even they give an honest outlook. Everyone wants to talk like they did a zillion orthognathics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious how often private practice (or mostly PP) OMFS does benign path stuff. I could see this being a big part of PP along with dentoalveolar, but I say that as a student, so obviously no clue.

Most private practice oral surgeons will do the biopsies for benign stuff. If small enough, they'll do the enucleation and curettage (scooping out) in the office under local or sedation. Some will even do the larger surgeries at a hospital under general anesthesia.
Most private practice guys will atleast have someone in their group who will be willing to take these cases to the OR (hospital) to get it done.

So you are saying you want a full time dentoalveolar residency? If you need to spend 3.5 - 4 years to get good at dentoalveolar; something is very wrong with the program or the residents.

It is nice to have the option to do some of the orthognathics / trauma / TMJ / pathology. And just because it may only make a periphery of your billable procedures; a lot of private practice OMS still do some of it. Once again, also useful for boards and providing a one-stop shop for your referrals.
I agree but it seems like many OMFS aren’t interested in being a one stop shop just want to do mainly T&T

Not saying go to a purely dentoalveolar program I’m just saying it would be of great benefit to go to a program that is strong in dentoalveolar