Stupid/Silly things I read in residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just reviewed approximately 65 applications for our residency position. To reward myself, I thought I'd start this thread and invite all those have reviewed applications to comment on silly/stupid/alarming things in applications they have reviewed. Only one rule. Don't reveal too much information so that some poor prospective doesn't go jump off a bridge into a dried up river or something. Hate to have another persons blood on my hands. This thread has entertaining and educational potential.

My justification is that I have spent countless hours reviewing these frickin applications and now is my time to vent/poke fun/or acknowledge bad or good things.

I know many are sweating bullets out there (I know this based upon how many pm's I've received in the last 3 weeks) and think this is cruel, but I think now is the time to do this thread because in a couple of months, I won't remember stuff. Besides, in life, you have to learn to laugh at yourself when you do something stupid/silly. And if you don't, don't worry, I'll laugh at you for you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start this off since I know no one wants to be the first. How about some of those personal statements that come with a table of contents, foot notes, and a bibliography. I mean, come one. I have to read 60+ of those. I don't drink caffeine... how's a guy suppose to stay awake! How many times do you have to say that you really like to help people? How about helping me by writing a shorter statement. Some people start their statements around the time of their births and they read like an epic journey across the earth hunting snipes in every climate. If I was program director (which I'm glad I'm not) I would take the first guy with decent numbers/experiences who writes something like, "I will do oral and maxillofacial surgery or die trying, thank you".

I know they have done studies that show that the reaction time of a resident after 24 hours of straight work is like .08 blood alcohol equivalents. I'm going to do a study that shows that reading 15 personal statements is like a .16 blood alcohol level....

I see your point with the example above. If you would also list things that you DID like with the personal statements, resumes, that you saw that would be helpful as well. Just curious, did your opinion of personal statements mimic that of the director's? Or did he/she maybe like the ones that you didn't. Was there a difference between whom a resident might like and what a director is looking for??????

Members don't see this ad :)
sara25 said:
I see your point with the example above. If you would also list things that you DID like with the personal statements, resumes, that you saw that would be helpful as well. Just curious, did your opinion of personal statements mimic that of the director's? Or did he/she maybe like the ones that you didn't. Was there a difference between whom a resident might like and what a director is looking for??????
I knew this thread was going bring out more questions from applicants than anything else. One of my pet peeves: when people ask what to say to impress the residents/directors. Esclavo, maybe you could just write a personal statement and post it on here for all to use, so that they can take the easy road and put forth no creative effort of their own.

Here's an idea for those of you that will spend way too much time writing and editing your PS: think about what you would want to read if you had to read 60 of them. The less you say, the more I'll remember. Agreed, Esclavo? It really shouldn't be a difficult project...

I'm sure I'll have some comments to add re: applications soon. Apparently we've got our twenty interviewees chosen, so I only have to review twenty personal statements before the interviews. In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading some of the other posts. This thread will be amusing. Good idea.

I don't know if it is annoying, but it is pretty pathetic when people get letters of recommendation from private practice guys. I think those letters get immediately round filed.

I'm sure you wrote the same stuff when you were groveling for a spot in OMFS, looks like you're enjoying the view from your high horse.

esclavo said:
Some people start their statements around the time of their births and they read like an epic journey across the earth hunting snipes in every climate.
Ooops...it's amazing I matched.

DcS said:
I'm sure you wrote the same stuff when you were groveling for a spot in OMFS, looks like you're enjoying the view from your high horse.

:laugh: I guess that's always the case....hopefully we'll be in his position next year... :thumbup: But hopefully not on a high horse..but on level ground

OMFSCardsFan said:
I knew this thread was going bring out more questions from applicants than anything else. One of my pet peeves: when people ask what to say to impress the residents/directors. Esclavo, maybe you could just write a personal statement and post it on here for all to use, so that they can take the easy road and put forth no creative effort of their own.

Here's an idea for those of you that will spend way too much time writing and editing your PS: think about what you would want to read if you had to read 60 of them. The less you say, the more I'll remember. Agreed, Esclavo? It really shouldn't be a difficult project...

I'm sure I'll have some comments to add re: applications soon. Apparently we've got our twenty interviewees chosen, so I only have to review twenty personal statements before the interviews. In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading some of the other posts. This thread will be amusing. Good idea.

:p I think all applications and PERSONAL STATEMENTS are already at the schools.....so don't worry...no one is going to copy anything you say here.

DcS said:

its not really a horse... more like a donkey.

The truth is, when u are in a program you develop a completely different respect and appreciation for everything. You see things in a completely different light.

It may sound harsh, but esclavo is right....

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go ride my trusty burro to the call-room.

This isn't from an application, it's something I heard an extern say to a resident that I thought was pretty funny: "I think I should extract some teeth now."

sara25 said:

This is a good question Sarah. I don't have the foggiest how any other specialty does this. What we do in OMFS, as you can tell, is probably opposite side of the world different from others. I have read every complete applicants file from cover to painful cover. You spent the time to make the 4 part saga, I feel it necessary to read everything. Other residents, attendings at my programs are more glazers. We all take our private notes, get together and come up with an interview list. Then when they get here we start a new list and it is based upon human interaction, verbal proficiency, communication excellence, and personality stuff. We only go back to the original list to separate individuals who are in a dead heat when it comes to the interview. We banter with each other. Everybody sees different things. Thats what makes the process more excellent and less random. Off of this bantering, the program director makes his final match list and presents it too us. Only if we feel very strongly about a change do we dare alter the directors list. But he trusts us and we trust him. My director has to be one of the best surgeons and humans I have ever met. We have alot of mutual respect and understanding. We think like each other. Does this answer your question?

Now for another funny thing in applications. Handwritten opening letters on lined paper! This one guy didn't send his board scores. The secretary let him know via email. He emailed his board scores back. The secretary printed up the email interaction with a big smiley face and put it in the front of the chart. Holy cow. Or the passport photo in a tee shirt. Good grief...

As for Mr. North Carolina (tar baby) other wise known as the "anti-equestrian" nazi. Leave me and my horse alone. Sometimes you have to lighten up. The south lost, the sky isn't falling, beans give you gas, Hillary Clinton is the devil in carnate.... laugh a little.... just because I find humor in life and the projects I have to do doesn't mean that I am a jerk. Besides one of my missions in life is to utterly humiliate those who take themselves too serious or who are overly sensitive. Now go back to petting my horse through the fence. I know your butt is just aching to sit in the saddle... your time will come little buckaroo. We all were toting a plastic snap gun like you are now... :smuggrin:

esclavo said:
This is a good question Sarah. I don't have the foggiest how any other specialty does this. What we do in OMFS, as you can tell, is probably opposite side of the world different from others. I have read every complete applicants file from cover to painful cover. You spent the time to make the 4 part saga, I feel it necessary to read everything. Other residents, attendings at my programs are more glazers. We all take our private notes, get together and come up with an interview list. Then when they get here we start a new list and it is based upon human interaction, verbal proficiency, communication excellence, and personality stuff. We only go back to the original list to separate individuals who are in a dead heat when it comes to the interview. We banter with each other. Everybody sees different things. Thats what makes the process more excellent and less random. Off of this bantering, the program director makes his final match list and presents it too us. Only if we feel very strongly about a change do we dare alter the directors list. But he trusts us and we trust him. My director has to be one of the best surgeons and humans I have ever met. We have alot of mutual respect and understanding. We think like each other. Does this answer your question?

Now for another funny thing in applications. The name of the specialty is Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (spelling the specialty wrong causes much laughter in some, much disgust in others), not oral surgery. And the OMFS experience is more than, "I know I want to do oral surgery because I love taking teeth out". Taking out teeth in my program is less than 40% of what you do in my residency. While we all know private practice guys spent 70-99% of their time shucking teeth, most program directors/attendings practice the entire scope even the fringes of the specialty. Many don't like taking out teeth and would rather a dentist/exodontist do it. I get a good belly laugh from those who think that OMFS is shucking teeth. It shows me that you haven't been exposed to the profession enough...

As for Mr. North Carolina (tar baby) other wise known as the "anti-equestrian" nazi. Leave me and my horse alone. Sometimes you have to lighten up. The south lost, the sky isn't falling, beans give you gas, Hillary Clinton is the devil in carnate.... laugh a little.... just because I find humor in life and the projects I have to do doesn't mean that I am a jerk. Besides one of my missions in life is to utterly humiliate those who take themselves too serious or overly sensitive. :smuggrin:

Thanks for the insight. To add a little to this forum..what I heard some people put in their personal statements were things like....I love to ride my bike...and I like to help my dad in the garden...I like to play tennis, volleyball, badminton...now these things would be o.k....except if you finished reading the rest of it....it would really make you wonder how old the person was. I guess I have found out that people's perception of what should be in a personal statement is very different from oneanother. I personally think it's all about that first sentence to capture the reader's attention..and the last sentence..to leave an impression. In between kind of gets lost....just my humble opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it really so cliche to say you like to help people? Especially if it's true? Or is it just how you say it? I still think it's one of the best motivations for doing it. What other reasons would be better?

esclavo said:
As for Mr. North Carolina (tar baby) other wise known as the "anti-equestrian" nazi. Leave me and my horse alone. Sometimes you have to lighten up. The south lost, the sky isn't falling, beans give you gas, Hillary Clinton is the devil in carnate.... laugh a little.... just because I find humor in life and the projects I have to do doesn't mean that I am a jerk. Besides one of my missions in life is to utterly humiliate those who take themselves too serious or who are overly sensitive. Now go back to petting my horse through the fence. I know your butt is just aching to sit in the saddle... your time will come little buckaroo. We all were toting a plastic snap gun like you are now... :smuggrin:

Don't worry, he'll get his...he's a pedo applicant. :) I can't think of anything worse than that, short of law. And ripping on beans is fine--just stay away from the barbq and slaw.

Esclavo's Arabian Steed.... of finest blood-lines.

Attachments

• donkey-farm4.jpeg
    donkey-farm4.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 291
wayoutwest said:
Is it really so cliche to say you like to help people? Especially if it's true? Or is it just how you say it? I still think it's one of the best motivations for doing it. What other reasons would be better?

You brought up a good point. Don't say "I like to help people!". Discuss what you have done in your life that proves it. Give examples of charitable work, volunteer experience, contributions you've made, etc. This is what proves you practice what you preach.

Bifid Uvula said:
Esclavo's Arabian Steed.... of finest blood-lines.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love it. And to think that Tar Baby was so offended by my "high horse".

sara25 said:
Thanks for the insight. I also had a friend who was accepted on the spot by the program director. I was curious if you or anyone else heard of this happening alot?

Was it post match? Otherwise this smells a little like tuna... wait halibut.

rrc said:
You brought up a good point. Don't say "I like to help people!". Discuss what you have done in your life that proves it. Give examples of charitable work, volunteer experience, contributions you've made, etc. This is what proves you practice what you preach.

It isn't specific. My mechanic likes to fix my car because he likes to "help people". My plumber likes to unclog my toilet (after a good mexican meal) because he "likes people".

This all brings me to another funny thing. The CV. Put the OMFS meat on it. I kid you not I saw work experience on a CV that stated that they had worked at "Bubbas Bar and Grill". When I look at a CV, and picking the OMFS specific stuff out is like picking the meat off a cheap steak that is mostly fat and bone, I get ticked. Tell me your education, experience (all OMFS no other bull crap), Research (all medical/OMFS/Pathology related-if you must tell me of how you spent 10 years discovering the sheer strength of composite please make it so brief I can skip over it ), OMFS work related stuff, then at the very end and no more than 1/4 of your CV tell me a FEW interesting things that I'll remember. BUBBAs.... for crying out loud.....Operative Dentistry award......give me a break.....

esclavo said:
Was it post match? Otherwise this smells a little like tuna... wait halibut.

It wasn't related to match.

sara25 said:
I saw the offer letter mailed a couple of days letter. She was told at the interview...and given a couple of days to think it over and get back to them. I do think that it was a rare case..the only one I have heard of. I guess they really liked her. She was told at the exit interview.

Couldn't have been OMFS or anyone tied to a MATCH. Either that or it was post match. I would do more research to find the specifics of the situation out. Otherwise what you state is prosecutable under the match agreeement.

esclavo said:
Couldn't have been OMFS or anyone tied to a MATCH. Either that or it was post match. I would do more research to find the specifics of the situation out. Otherwise what you state is prosecutable under the match agreeement.

not related to MATCH whatsoever.

sara25 said:

Enough of this story Sara. This isolated incident and petty bantering are going to cause people to think we are married... back to the thread subject of funny/dumb things in applications. How much weight does a letter of recommendation from a periodontist carry in OMFS application? I'd rather have a letter from your boss at Taco Bell telling me you stir the best pot of refried beans this side of Texas. :laugh:

esclavo said:
Enough of this story Sara. This isolated incident and petty bantering are going to cause people to think we are married... back to the thread subject of funny/dumb things in applications. How much weight does a letter of recommendation from a periodontist carry in OMFS application? I'd rather have a letter from your boss at Taco Bell telling me you stir the best pot of refried beans this side of Texas. :laugh:

:eek: bantering????? Alright..alright...time to move on...bring on the funny and often shocking things found in OMFS applications...

btw...I was mistaken...just talked to my friend..no one has been told they are accepted on the spot...just told that they in the running for a position...which i guess basically includes everyone else at that interview.. :laugh:...I wish it really WAS that easy... :oops:

esclavo said:

It was meant as a joke, nothing more. I thought you had the intelligence to realize sarcasm without the use of smilies. In the future, when I make a sarcastic comment i'll be sure to follow it with a :smuggrin: or a ;) . Does that make it all better now :confused: As far as the south losing, I'm from New Jersey. Enough said...you know, the jersey shore, italian with chest hair overflowing out of my kids small wife-beater, tinted windows on my honda civic and an italian flag bumper sticker yelling how you doin', I'm sure we all know the stereotype. For someone who is supposed to laugh at everything you sure got worked up over an internet post. As pollei can attest, there is very little i take seriously. About the top of that list is an internet messageboard. Half the reason I even come here is for comic relief.

DcS said:
I wrote mine in about two hours, while having a couple beers. It was about a half-a-page long. I did nothing more than express my interest in the field. Appreciate your perspective, though...

OMFSCardsFan said:
I wrote mine in about two hours, while having a couple beers. It was about a half-a-page long. I did nothing more than express my interest in the field. Appreciate your perspective, though...

man, you're such a laid back dude, how cool.

sara25 said:
That's the point. All OMFS exceptances are related to the match, or it's a violation of the match agreement.

wayoutwest said:
Money......cooter.....early retirement.....

wayoutwest said:
Even if that is your true reason for doing it, not a single person that reads your PS will say, "Wow, this guy wants to help people. Noble. Let's give him an interview." That line will be read over and forgotten before the end of the next sentence, regardless if you think you "really" mean it. I think it's understood that to some degree, we all like what we do because we have the opportunity to help people that need it--and make good money doing it.

DcS said:
man, you're such a laid back dude, how cool.
I like you, man. Good stuff. You applying for OMFS? I tend to be a prick, and I tend to like other people who can be a prick...

OMFSCardsFan said:
I like you, man. Good stuff. You applying for OMFS? I tend to be a prick, and I tend to like other people who can be a prick...

I thought that was a requirement in OMFS? Once again, sarcasm people. Relax.

esclavo said:
.... for crying out loud.....Operative Dentistry award......give me a break.....

What's wrong with putting something like this in? It's related to dentistry. At my school the person who has the highest scores over the first two years of lab practicals gets this award. I'd say it's pretty impressive.

I am not sure if this has been discussed either here or somewhere else...if it was..please direct me to the place..if not..I would appreciate an answer. I know that most of you guys are OMFS residents...which I think usually presents the most number of hours spent in school/clinic than most other residencies. I was curious to know if anyone of you are married/dating..etc..and how your significant others were coping with your sometimes unbearable schedule. Was it a huge difference from the number of hours spent in dental schools...vs. OMFS residency? I wanted a little insight into how your lives were now vs. before.

toofache32 said:
That's the point. All OMFS exceptances are related to the match, or it's a violation of the match agreement.

I hope this is the last time...I WAS WRONG...NO ONE WAS ACCEPTED ON THE SPOT ANYWHERE...NO MATCH VIOLATION OCCURED...I HAD MISUNDERSTOOD A SITUATION THAT I HEARD FROM A FRIEND OF A FRIEND OF A FRIEND. :eek: IT DIDN'T EVEN INVOLVE A FIELD IN DENTISTRY..O.K. MY BAD..I'LL CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK MY SOURCES BEFORE I POST ANYTHING HERE... :eek: But thanks for the clarification. Again.

KUMBAYA EVERYONE..... :love:

dc-10 said:
What's wrong with putting something like this in? It's related to dentistry. At my school the person who has the highest scores over the first two years of lab practicals gets this award. I'd say it's pretty impressive.
I guess I'd be interested if the person managed this while cutting all his preps with a Striker or other surgical handpiece...

OMFSCardsFan said:

You probably won't have as many silly/stupid things to write about. Lucky you gets to read the 20 legit applications while the other 90 the secretary culled out of the herd. Just think of me, reading 2 pathetic packets for every legit application. Its kind of like panning for gold... swishing my pan, letting the stream carry away the dirt...see if there's some gold dust left at the bottom...something for all my pain.

sara25 said:
I am not sure if this has been discussed either here or somewhere else...if it was..please direct me to the place..if not..I would appreciate an answer. I know that most of you guys are OMFS residents...which I think usually presents the most number of hours spent in school/clinic than most other residencies. I was curious to know if anyone of you are married/dating..etc..and how your significant others were coping with your sometimes unbearable schedule. Was it a huge difference from the number of hours spent in dental schools...vs. OMFS residency? I wanted a little insight into how your lives were now vs. before.
I'm dating a girl that is a D3 at the school from where I graduated. She is not the greatest fan of the distance, or the hours, or the fact that when I get home after a 36-hour shift I'm not always a delight to talk to, or that I never get enough days off in a row to go visit her for a change. She's been taking it all very well, though--much better than I had given her credit for in the beginning. It's a lot easier for me. There isn't a whole lot of time during the 100-120 hours/week while I'm at the hospital to think about her, much less spend time missing her. I see her every four to six weeks, when she flies down to see me, and it always feels like she was just here. The time goes that quickly.

Dental school life: golf 2-3 times per week, lots of travel, going out, TV, sporting events, bar league sports...

Residency life: only fill my gas tank every 3-4 weeks since I live a mile from the hospital, rarely go out since I usually get only one weekend day off, haven't watched TV since I've been here (didn't even bother getting cable or an antenna), played golf once in four months, the only sport that I play is shooting teeth into the biohazard container, the only travel that I get to do is driving to the grocery store or Target occasionally

Life sucks in a residency, but it's only temporary. However, it's great to finally be doing what you like. Any time that I start hating life, I stop and think about my former classmates taking impressions, cutting Class II's, and adjusting partial dentures--cheers me right up. By suffering now by working a ton of hours and getting **** on, you set yourself up pretty darn well for the future. It can be miserable, but it's always tolerable. Gotta stay focused on the big picture...

sara25 said:

When you are interviewing, it's a good idea to ask how many residents are married / have kids. Find out how family-friendly the program is. For any program, the spouse has to be just as committed to the program as you are or else it just won't work. It's a ridiculous number of hours and when you are finished and finally do come home, you need sleep or have to work on a presentation for rounds or something ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE THE INTERN. It is not easy on the significant other. It's good if your spouse has a tough job and they work a lot of hours too, they miss you less and are tired too. Either way, you need to let them know how crappy it's going to be. In a 6 year program, there are 3 crazy years and 3 not so crazy years. The toughest years are 1-intern, 4-general surgery intern, 6-chief (at least this is how my program is). Years 2,3-med school and 5-senior resident aren't so bad, still busy, but not like the other three. No matter how you slice it, it's a long 6 years.

OMFSCardsFan said:
... the only sport that I play is shooting teeth into the biohazard container...
:thumbup:

I hear that's gonna be a new one in the 2008 Summer Olympics.

esclavo said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love it. And to think that Tar Baby was so offended by my "high horse".

On a sad note.... Esclavo's Trusty Arabian Steed broke its leg today and was put down... Next time you use a little glue, think of Esclavo and say a prayer for that sad donkey of his....

dc-10 said:

Toofache and Cardsfan kill me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lab practicals? Are you kidding me. Impressive? Not in OMFS. Great for Pedo, endo, perio, pros... EXAMPLE: I blew my dental class away in the clinic in dental school. Essentially graduated 6 months early and practiced with a dentist for 5 months in an outreach clinic somewhere on the frozen tundra of the Iron Range in Minnesota. I came back to the school for graduation and I turned in all my work from the 5 months up north. When I left school before Christmas, I had done 1/3 more clinical productivity, money charged, and total procedures performed than the next person to me in my class at graduation in May!! Then add on the 5 months of working in a clinic with a full time secretary, two assistants and a lab to do all my work, seeing 8-15 patients a day w/o the dental school red tape crap.... Needless to say I could have graduated 4 times over in total dentistry performed (the conventional mind would think I used this to get into OMFS...never mentioned it, wasn't on my CV, no letter of rec from anyone who knew this crap except for the dean...and I begged him to keep his mouth shut because none of this has anything to do with potential success as an OMFS resident). I took boards 3 months before graduation and received letters from the dean that stated I had essentially graduated which permitted me to apply for dental licenses. While my class mates were graduating, finishing requirements, sweating taking boards, I had a dental license in two states. I practiced for a little over a month waiting for residency to start. You might think this gave me a huge advantage starting my OMFS residency a few months later. It did! But that advantage lasted for approximately... 30 seconds. Then I was about the same as every other poor bastard dental child starting his first year, getting the !#$!#% whipped out of me. Deer in headlights.... learning curve equal to scaling Mount Everest.... Dentistry is dentistry and OMFS is Surgery with a dental component. My whole first year my chief, attendings, and senior residents kept on saying that they were going to "beat the dentist" out of me. Everytime I made errors they universally stemmed from thinking like a dentist and not a surgeon, I got pounded. I was black and blue all over. Now a few years later, I am thankful for the lickings...but some of the scars are still there +pity+ But go ahead...tell me about your lab practicals... tell me of the miles of cord you've packed... of how fast you can put on a rubber dam....don't forget your gold foil award....how pleased your dentoform manequine is with his inlay....I'm listening. I honestly do thank you for giving an excellent live example of silly/stupid things on applications.

esclavo said:
You might think this gave me a huge advantage starting my OMFS residency a few months later. It did! But that advantage lasted for approximately... 30 seconds. Then I was about the same as every other poor bastard dental child starting his first year, getting the !#$!#% whipped out of me. Deer in headlights.... learning curve equal to scaling Mount Everest.... Dentistry is dentistry and OMFS is Surgery with a dental component. My whole first year my chief, attendings, and senior residents kept on saying that they were going to "beat the dentist" out of me. Everytime I made errors they universally stemmed from thinking like a dentist and not a surgeon, I got pounded. I was black and blue all over.
This has to be the funniest summation of the first month of residency that I've ever heard. Funny, and dead on...

OK esclavo, so you are the OMS hot shot now and have proudly forgotten any notion of restorative dentistry possible. Go stroke your ego some more.

But how could a dental student with 3 years behind him when he (or she!) applies to OMS have a resume that is 75% OMS and 25% other stuff? At our school, at least, it was impossible. The resumes probably read more like 25% OMS and 75% other stuff (ASDA, academic awards, volunteering for Pedo stuff, etc) and guess what - we still get people into OMS each year. The most a candidate could have at our school applying as a senior is maybe an externship or 2 in OMS. Maybe a mission trip here or there. There is practically no OMS research to participate in unless you go waaaaay out of your way to find something. Almost no one does this - I don't remember any OMS hopefuls ever doing any research during my time in the dental school. Maybe they won't get into the superstar programs of the south, but they probably dont apply there since we are a northeast school.

When you look at applications that are 75% OMS, what is it that these superstar studs have done to show they are so gung-ho OMS?

OMFSCardsFan said:
I'm dating a girl that is a D3 at the school from where I graduated. She is not the greatest fan of the distance, or the hours, or the fact that when I get home after a 36-hour shift I'm not always a delight to talk to, or that I never get enough days off in a row to go visit her for a change. She's been taking it all very well, though--much better than I had given her credit for in the beginning. It's a lot easier for me. There isn't a whole lot of time during the 100-120 hours/week while I'm at the hospital to think about her, much less spend time missing her. I see her every four to six weeks, when she flies down to see me, and it always feels like she was just here. The time goes that quickly.

HAHA! I am in the exact situation as you, cept I am in ms2 now, so I get more time to d!ck around. When the going get tough, the tough listens to some good ol' Jay-Z songs.....

"If you're havin' girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one."

griffin04 said:
Go stroke your ego some more.

But how could a dental student with 3 years behind him when he (or she!) applies to OMS have a resume that is 75% OMS and 25% other stuff? At our school, at least, it was impossible. The resumes probably read more like 25% OMS and 75% other stuff (ASDA, academic awards, volunteering for Pedo stuff, etc) and guess what - we still get people into OMS each year. The most a candidate could have at our school applying as a senior is maybe an externship or 2 in OMS. Maybe a mission trip here or there. There is practically no OMS research to participate in unless you go waaaaay out of your way to find something. Almost no one does this - I don't remember any OMS hopefuls ever doing any research during my time in the dental school. Maybe they won't get into the superstar programs of the south, but they probably dont apply there since we are a northeast school.

When you look at applications that are 75% OMS, what is it that these superstar studs have done to show they are so gung-ho OMS?

It is possible. Many are doing it. I wrote this huge long thing trying to help you understand how you can do what you say a person can't. Then I said to myself why hand feed you the recipe. Then you don't go through the experiences to know how to do it. Go to your OMFs program director and he'll teach you. I get exasperated because I get the feeling that even if I explain it to you you'll still not believe it or wonder how it is possible. If you are that serious pm me. One page CV (just your name and education fill 1/3 of the dang page!) with good OMFs stuff is better than 2 page CV with good OMFS stuff diluted with operative and fixed pros awards...give kids a smile day volunteer....now back to my thread....

The other funny thing I read is how many people think that the one day volunteer of "National Give Kids a smile Day" is note worthy....With so many putting this on a CV you'd think every kid in the country should be smiling like crazy. I did this 5 times and realized it was just publicity...Every kid that came in could smile just fine. Most of them when they left weren't smiling at all...Hey, I actually did an entire day of volunteer work...I'm going to put this on my CV....cause I like to help people....

DcS said:
It was meant as a joke, nothing more. I thought you had the intelligence to realize sarcasm without the use of smilies. In the future, when I make a sarcastic comment i'll be sure to follow it with a :smuggrin: or a ;) . Does that make it all better now :confused:

Since I'm not that intelligent (this isn't a joke-just ask Uvula) thank you for putting in the smiles. It does help me alot. Also, since I can't read very well, write S L O W L Y. Lastly, when I write back teasing you by either altering your name to a Disney Charcter (Tar Baby-briar patch) or using imagery (you petting my steed through the fence) to explain our relative positions along the path, you can also laugh for me. Thank you for trying to make things better. My ego can't handle it when you poke fun at me like you don't agree with me.... The only thing better than sarcasm is layered sarcasm...