Stony Brook vs UB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgonka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to Stony Brook and UB. I am a NY resident so tuition really isn't a factor. I am from Buffalo, and really would like to get out of here for awhile. I honestly loved Stony Brook, and really think that is where I will end up next year. I was just wondering what you all think, which school you see as being better, and why. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would put my vote in for Stony Brook, I was really impressed when I visited, it seems like a really solid school and the few students I know who go there right now seem to really enjoy it.

I would put my vote in for Stony Brook, I was really impressed when I visited, it seems like a really solid school and the few students I know who go there right now seem to really enjoy it.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say choose UB, so we can be classmates! :)

Also, UB overtook Stony Brook this year in the rankings.

All the UB med students I know like it there, too.

Hey guys, so I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to Stony Brook and UB. I am a NY resident so tuition really isn't a factor. I am from Buffalo, and really would like to get out of here for awhile. I honestly loved Stony Brook, and really think that is where I will end up next year. I was just wondering what you all think, which school you see as being better, and why. Thanks!

If you like being able to go to NYC, then Stony Brook would have that advantage.

Hey, jgonka, have you had any issues paying the deposit online for UB?

I can't get the online epay form to work. The last couple days, it was down for maintenance.

Now, it's back up, but I press continue for part one of the form, I get this message:

"This fee applies to accepted graduate students only. If you believe you need to make this payment or you think there may be an error with regard to your admission status, please contact your academic department or the Graduate Student Recruitment Service at 716-645-3482."

Hey, jgonka, have you had any issues paying the deposit online for UB?

I can't get the online epay form to work. The last couple days, it was down for maintenance.

Now, it's back up, but I press continue for part one of the form, I get this message:

"This fee applies to accepted graduate students only. If you believe you need to make this payment or you think there may be an error with regard to your admission status, please contact your academic department or the Graduate Student Recruitment Service at 716-645-3482."

I am planning on paying it tonight, so I will let you know. Did you make sure you were you selected MD and not graduate tuition deposit? If it doesn't work for me tonight, Ill probably just stop by admissions tomorrow and pay it.

They're both well-regarded programs and I think you'd be fine at either one.

Just keep in mind that being at Stony Brook is not the same as being in NYC, it is pretty suburban. The weather is definitely better than Buffalo's.

I've also heard that Stony Brook has a lot of gunners, but you'll find gunners at every school.

Even though you want to leave Buffalo, you should consider the advantage of having your support system (friends and family) near medical school.

I am planning on paying it tonight, so I will let you know. Did you make sure you were you selected MD and not graduate tuition deposit? If it doesn't work for me tonight, Ill probably just stop by admissions tomorrow and pay it.

Yeah, MD was the only option from the link in the acceptance email.

I'm definitely stopping by the admissions office with a check tomorrow morning.

Maybe we will run into each other.:)

Yeah, MD was the only option from the link in the acceptance email.

I'm definitely stopping by the admissions office with a check tomorrow morning.

Maybe we will run into each other.:)

Maybe! lol Just tried to pay the tuition deposit and it didnt work. So I will just drop off a check tomorrow. Don't forget to sign in and confirm your acceptance with the pin and username they gave you.

I asked myself this question and visited both and would vote for Stony... I've lived in upstate NY my whole life so I also think the change is good, but I really liked that the med school and hospital are actually attached and that was big for me.. Plus the Stonybrook building has all the other health programs in the same place.. I wouldn't worry about the rankings to be honest, they switch frequently and you can't read into one spot as much as people want to... plus location for Stony is definitely better (and I actually like Buffalo unlike a lot of people as a city)

Maybe! lol Just tried to pay the tuition deposit and it didnt work. So I will just drop off a check tomorrow. Don't forget to sign in and confirm your acceptance with the pin and username they gave you.

Yeah, I was able to sign in with the pin and confirm the acceptance. So there must be a problem with the payment system then.

I asked myself this question and visited both and would vote for Stony... I've lived in upstate NY my whole life so I also think the change is good, but I really liked that the med school and hospital are actually attached and that was big for me.. Plus the Stonybrook building has all the other health programs in the same place.. I wouldn't worry about the rankings to be honest, they switch frequently and you can't read into one spot as much as people want to... plus location for Stony is definitely better (and I actually like Buffalo unlike a lot of people as a city)

Yeah I feel the exact same way. Im so glad to hear that somone feels like that. Thanks you made me feel so much better. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.