2018-2019 Stony Brook University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD/General:

ESSAY QUESTIONS (Please limit your responses to 500 words per question)
10. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? YES NO
If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date.
If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.

11. DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU'VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.

MSTP:

Please describe the basic and/or clinical research fields that you think you might like to explore and/or develop expertise in during your MSTP training. To the extent that you have defined potential specific future clinical interests, please describe the type(s) of medicine that you might be interested in pursuing once you have completed the MSTP. (500 words).

Interview Feedback: SUNY - Stony Brook University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ESSAY QUESTIONS (Please limit your responses to 500 words per question)
10. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? YES NO
If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date.
If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.

11. DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU'VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.

Just received secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Neurotic pre-med with a dumb question, but when secondaries say college, they mean undergrad right? So, since I'm doing a masters program between undergrad and medical school, I would answer no then.

Neurotic pre-med with a dumb question, but when secondaries say college, they mean undergrad right? So, since I'm doing a masters program between undergrad and medical school, I would answer no then.
correct, I suppose

If I applied to the BA/MD program in high school and never got in, would I still be considered a reapplicant to their medical school? Also, what would I put down for the question that asks whether I've applied to medical school at all? I'm a first time applicant btw.

If I applied to the BA/MD program in high school and never got in, would I still be considered a reapplicant to their medical school? Also, what would I put down for the question that asks whether I've applied to medical school at all? I'm a first time applicant btw.
yes, I remember one of the adcom people on this forum said yes in the past.

Reactions: 1 user

I said "yes" and then just explained that I applied to the BA/MD program as a senior in high school, but have not applied to medical school through AMCAS before this cycle

Secondary submitted as well. I really would like to attend med school in New York!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i'm a little confused by the mention of the background check in the secondary. does that mean i need to order my background check now, or do i wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a little confused by the mention of the background check in the secondary. does that mean i need to order my background check now, or do i wait?

I thought med schools pull the background check - you don’t need to order one. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do we need to send our transcripts to the school now? Or is this similar to the mention of the background check?

@Lucca if you don't mind me asking, how long after you sent your secondary did you get the email that says it's completed? XD I submitted mine today and didn't get anything besides a payment confirmation.

Regarding section 8, "Have you applied to medical school before" - do we need to explain if we answered yes to any, or just the last question above the box, about being accepted before?

What do you think it is considered "early", "average" and "late" to submit a secondary application? My primary application still has not been verified, preventing me from submitting my SBU secondary application... and I'm getting worried.

What do you think it is considered "early", "average" and "late" to submit a secondary application? My primary application still has not been verified, preventing me from submitting my SBU secondary application... and I'm getting worried.

complete everywhere (secondaries + LORs + CASPeR if applicable) by Labor day = average timing.

Is anyone just repeating their AMCAS most meaningful experience for the question about our proudest accomplishment? Seems to be the same thing...

Do we need to send our transcripts to the school now? Or is this similar to the mention of the background check?

I believe that they mean that if we are accepted, we will have to send them our final transcripts (i.e., after graduation) before we are allowed to attend.

Is there a completed stage beyond submission? My app says

Your application documents are being processed.
You will be notified of status updates.

and I'm not sure if I'm complete... anyone else?

Is there a completed stage beyond submission? My app says

Your application documents are being processed.
You will be notified of status updates.

and I'm not sure if I'm complete... anyone else?
My current status page says:
Your application is under consideration.
We will email you as soon as a final decision is rendered on our candidacy.

We appreciate your patience during this process.

Is it true that Stony Brook averages your MCAT attempts? For those of us that had a huge improvement in our MCAT but with a very low first one, should we just not apply here?

I think CASPer is now required for Stony Brook. I see it on the CASPer list.

Lol just logged in and saw that too. I was complete before this tho and it's not on the requirements yet! What now??
I love how they don't send applicants who have already submitted their secondary app/completed CASPER an update about requiring it.....how is that ok LOL.

I think CASPer is now required for Stony Brook. I see it on the CASPer list.
Just got off the phone with the Admissions and they confirmed that all the applicants REQUIRE to submit casper and it would be used for admissions

Why do they do this in the middle of the application cycle and not inform anyone???

They just sent an update email informing us about Casper!

Reactions: 1 users
Conveniently announced it after yesterday’s test date. I hope no one got screwed...

To give everyone an example of the way CASPer has spread like wildfire, my situation is the perfect example:

Started out application cycle with ONE school on my list recommending it and the rest nothing so I decided not to take the test.

A month or two later, SIX of my schools require it. Thank god I just sucked it up and took it earlier this month.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I know I feel bad for people who didn’t intend to take it this cycle. I personally think it’s fine for a school to request it but it should be decided before the cycle begins, as with all other requirements.

Reactions: 5 users
Lol I took Casper last month because I thought one of the schools I was applying to needed it. Turns out they didn't.... But now I sure am glad I took it!

But come on Stony Brook, this is ridiculous. You can't just pull this out at the last minute.