Sports med and interventional spine training.....Path possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patelfmpain

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
FM residency -> sports medicine fellowship -> interventional spine

Is this above path possible (specifically the sports med fellowship to interventional spine training)? Going to do a sports medicine fellowship for sure but interventional spine training after fellowship came up during conversation with one of my attendings, just curious if it can be done

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You might be able to find a NASS or non-ACGME spine fellowship that would take that background if you complete a sports fellowship that gets you some intro to spine.

PM&R -> ACGME sports would get most of it done in one trip (minus SCS, PNS, etc.).

There are actually some pain fellowships that take FM, and they do interventional spine. FM can now sit for pain boards because of this. Other than that, I suggest going to a sports medicine fellowship that does spine procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are actually some pain fellowships that take FM, and they do interventional spine. FM can now sit for pain boards because of this. Other than that, I suggest going to a sports medicine fellowship that does spine procedures.
Please share the names of those fellowships if you have them at the top of your head.

Well not really interested in pain management, but a quick google search got me UCI, VCU, maybe Wake Forest (they have in the past I believe). Don't care to search any further, but like I said, the info is out there.

It's rare for FM to go into pain so the applicant pool for those individuals are rare, but they exist.

On the ABFM website, doing a quick "find a physician" search, there are 20 FM docs in the country that are double board in FM and Pain medicine.
Of those 20 boarded in FM and pain, six are triple board in FM, pain, and sports
Of the 6 triple boarded docs, four of them trained at JPS in Fort Worth. One trained at St. Mary's in Grand Junction, CO, and the other one may have grandfathered into sports (and also boarded in brain injury medicine btw).

Anyway another thing to do is to look up those 20 FM docs boarded in sports and see where they trained, or just maybe reach out to them! Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user