Family Medicine Residencies heavy sports med training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KG1007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Current MS4 very interested in pursuing sports medicine fellowship after family medicine residency. I've realized it's been hard to find a good list of family medicine residencies that have strong sports med backgrounds. I've heard/seen that it doesn't necessarily have to be a place with an in house sports med fellowship. Wondering if anyone can speak to this and the best way to search for the programs that would be best suited.

I'm also interested in research and see myself in an academic center or university setting afterwards.

Members don't see this ad.

The easiest is finding programs with a fellowship.

The other thing to look at is looking at previous graduates who have done sports fellowships. If there is at least 1 resident a year matching, then there is a pipeline for it. If a program hasn’t had a resident match into sports in 5 years, then I question how much sports exposure you really get.

I did residency that had a fellowship. That helped me.

I practiced academic family medicine for years. We didn’t have a sports med fellowship, but anyone who was interested in sports I took them under my wing and mentored them to build up their CV to match. With programs that don’t have a fellowship, it will really depend on how involved their sports medicine faculty is.