SOAP 2017 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are in a better situation than someone who matched advanced but is SOAPing for a prelim. This gives you some to find an open advanced spot for the following year, and there are always people who get a waiver for their advanced position because they change their mind about the specialty. In a worse case scenario, you can go through ERAS again for the advanced spot and have a year off between your prelim year and advanced year. Or you could change your mind about your future specialty and have an opportunity to switch to a categorical spot after your prelim year. Getting your foot in the door was the key, and you accomplished that.
thx bro.. i kind of regret posting that comment i realize there are worse situations.. its just that this system really can get your hopes up and shut it down quick... and the anxiety of waiting for an email or just a message its brutal.

Members don't see this ad.

I just saw the updated programs. Can someone confirm with me that im not going crazy, but i saw more programs in the surgery preliminary that I never saw the first time. Did anyone else notice this?

There were originally 138 programs - 486 positions

hey so my understanding is that even if we used all 45 in the beginning, apps roll over to the next round if didnt get an offer in R1, which is different from last year's 30, 10, 5 system. But I just can't find that information in NRMP's website!! This is so frustrating. Can anyone confirm??
Yes. I called to confirm. They roll over.

yeah a lot of the programs are taken, best wishes to us!

thx bro.. i kind of regret posting that comment i realize there are worse situations.. its just that this system really can get your hopes up and shut it down quick... and the anxiety of waiting for an email or just a message its brutal.

Be calm bro. You got into something, go there and work your ass off.

Sorry for the rookie question, but do we get to apply to another 15 programs no in Round 2?

FMG - No calls!

FMG No calls, but... from the positions that I applied, There are still 40% of those positions in the game for 2nd round... let's hope for the best!

Sorry for the rookie question, but do we get to apply to another 15 programs no in Round 2?

FMG - No calls!

It depends on whether or not you already applied to 45 programs. If not, then yes, add more to the places that still have open slots. It would be close to impossible for them to be considered for Round 2, but your info would be there for Round 3. If you have already used your 45 applications, then you have already maxed out.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely a ton of surg prelim, I just don't remember how many there were before.

More calls when? After 5? Or should we expect them between 2-3? Not sure if I should take a break.

There were like 450 spots i think

no calls, no email, no offers. someone go back in time and shoot myself in the face for going to med school.

Reactions: 10 users
Would having step 3 completed for next year's match application deadline improve ones chances of matching? I was reading something about different states having different rules?

I went through my list of 45 applications... 22 of the spots I applied to were taken

Anyone received any calls so far? I am still in the dark..
Staring at my phone
200, pass, 230, 200

Did anyone get an offer during Round 1 without any interview?

Would having step 3 completed for next year's match application deadline improve ones chances of matching? I was reading something about different states having different rules? Im a FMG (Canadian that studied in Europe)

The only way i see it improving your chances is if your interviewing. They may compare you with another FMG who is literally equivalent on every level but doesn't have it, and you'd win that battle. What are the chances of that happening though? Ofcourse it will never ever hurt to have it, you only have to gain. But the gain is not life-changing. In other words, don't expect it to magically change your application to a winner automatically. Actually step 3 was ranked as the least thing PDs look at when ranking/offering interviews to applicants (source: nrmp program director survey). Step 1 scores, mspe, and LOR remain the biggest deciding factors for getting interviews in the first place, and then actually getting ranked high enough to match (source: nrmp program director survey). And don't forget, step 3 score may matter when you apply for fellowship (so be careful). Tbh with you, as an FMG, i think the ultimately BEST THING you can do is to find a hospital that offers externships which has a ERAS residency program you want to join that is FMG friendly and do rotations there build inner connections: preferrably do it 2 months before the interview season and maybe 1 month during interview season to increase your chances there when you apply to that program during the match.

Ok so there is nothing we should do between 2-3 pm but sit and wait? Should we let the program we talked with know we are still available or will they already know?

If a program has interviewed / contacted you, and the spot is still open, then you can def email them and tell them how interested you are.

If they haven't contacted you, then you can't contact them.

So I obviously did this wrong. I applied to 45 programs yesterday, thinking the sooner the better... I'm guessing I should have left some open to apply later in the game...
Does anyone know if the spots you applied to are no longer available if there is a chance to apply to more? So the question is do we get 45 active applications or 45 total?

As mentioned, it's 45 total. There's no more for later rounds.

I'm not convinced you did it "wrong". If this year goes like prior, at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the spots will fill in the 1st round. Apps saved for the 2nd round will have that many fewer spots available. Plus, given the timing between rounds 1 and 2, how much programs will review new apps is unclear.

Would having step 3 completed for next year's match application deadline improve ones chances of matching? I was reading something about different states having different rules?
Some programs require it but if a program does not require it then could be a double edged sword if you get a low score.

well it seems the odds are not in my favor today!

If a program has interviewed / contacted you, and the spot is still open, then you can def email them and tell them how interested you are.

If they haven't contacted you, then you can't contact them.

As mentioned, it's 45 total. There's no more for later rounds.

I'm not convinced you did it "wrong". If this year goes like prior, at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the spots will fill in the 1st round. Apps saved for the 2nd round will have that many fewer spots available. Plus, given the timing between rounds 1 and 2, how much programs will review new apps is unclear.

As a progdirector, i wonder if you could shed some light on a situation. I interviewed at a program late in the season (got it because someone cancelled). I went there, felt like it was a positive experience. Sent thank you email afterwards, heard back they were glad i liked the program and wished me best of luck. Also knew some prior people who went through that program and put in a good word for me. Eventually, I did not match and their program went unfilled quite a few spots. Reapplied to them in the SOAP, never ever heard back. As a progdirector, in what situation would you think about doing this to an applicant? Also, is it advisable for me to speak to them after SOAP to find out what went wrong so I can use that a building experience for better chances next match? Thanks for your insight

Reactions: 2 users
The only way i see it improving your chances is if your interviewing. They may compare you with another FMG who is literally equivalent on every level but doesn't have it, and you'd win that battle. What are the chances of that happening though? Ofcourse it will never ever hurt to have it, you only have to gain. But the gain is not life-changing. In other words, don't expect it to magically change your application to a winner automatically. Actually step 3 was ranked as the least thing PDs look at when ranking/offering interviews to applicants (source: nrmp program director survey). Step 1 scores, mspe, and LOR remain the biggest deciding factors for getting interviews in the first place, and then actually getting ranked high enough to match (source: nrmp program director survey). And don't forget, step 3 score may matter when you apply for fellowship (so be careful). Tbh with you, as an FMG, i think the ultimately BEST THING you can do is to find a hospital that offers externships which has a ERAS residency program you want to join that is FMG friendly and do rotations there build inner connections: preferrably do it 2 months before the interview season and maybe 1 month during interview season to increase your chances there when you apply to that program during the match.

Thanks for the advice! I think doing an externship is a great idea and should hopefully help in making some connections. Has anyone heard of any FMGs doing any externships at FMG-friendly hospitals - anything would help at this point tbh.

I matched in the 2nd round. I had a phone interview with the place yesterday morning, and the PD called me between rounds to ask if I was still interested.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 12 users
Nothing for the 2nd round.
Oh well.........you win some, lose some. Life goes on.
Will work on improving my application and try again next year.
Good luck to everyone, especially to people who did not match.

GUYS I SOAPED INTO FAMILY MED!!!!! best of luck to everyone else here you all deserve the absolute best, i couldn't have lasted these days without the consolation you all provided. x

Reactions: 23 users
No offers :(

Your advanced program will try everything they can to help you after SOAP. So there is still great hope. Often times they even find positions in their own hospital. That would be so great. So better to accept things the way they happen, you never know!!

GUYS I SOAPED INTO FAMILY MED!!!!! best of luck to everyone else here you all deserve the absolute best, i couldn't have lasted these days without the consolation you all provided. x

so happy for you, having read your p0sts during these past two days. Glad you got what you wanted!

No offer second round. Had such a positive 3 part interview, including with the PD yesterday. What a roller coaster of emotions. I would tell everyone not to get their hopes up, because I was at rock bottom after the match, then it was uplifting when I got the call and had such a great interview and received, what I felt, feedback that implied I would get an offer, only to be snubbed for two rounds - AKA back to hitting rock bottom. At this point, I feel so numb so I am just going to take whatever happens in stride and hope for the best. I will prove myself by working my A** off if somebody gives me the opportunity to do that. All the best to everyone who matched.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations.
Did you have any Phone interviews?

so happy for you, having read your p0sts during these past two days. Glad you got what you wanted!
thank you! wishing everyone here the best of luck we all deserve a chance and i know you all will make amazing physicians

Your advanced program will try everything they can to help you after SOAP. So there is still great hope. Often times they even find positions in their own hospital. That would be so great. So better to accept things the way they happen, you never know!!
You are right!! But waiting for this is just super stressful and energy draining :(

As a progdirector, i wonder if you could shed some light on a situation. I interviewed at a program late in the season (got it because someone cancelled). I went there, felt like it was a positive experience. Sent thank you email afterwards, heard back they were glad i liked the program and wished me best of luck. Also knew some prior people who went through that program and put in a good word for me. Eventually, I did not match and their program went unfilled quite a few spots. Reapplied to them in the SOAP, never ever heard back. As a progdirector, in what situation would you think about doing this to an applicant? Also, is it advisable for me to speak to them after SOAP to find out what went wrong so I can use that a building experience for better chances next match? Thanks for your insight

What their actions are telling you is that they liked you "below the unknown". That could mean they are overestimating the quality of "unknown" or that someone there didn't like you and that got you crossed off the list.

Either way, the program didn't "do this to you". They are not deliberately treating you badly; they're just trying to make the best decision for their program, which includes balancing the various personalities. Sorry about that.

Reactions: 3 users
some PDs are residency-criminals just like war-criminals, they just poke you with questions, show hopes, poke more questions and kill you silently.

how do we apply post-soap? through eras or bombard with email/fax? what do i do tomorrow?

Anyone else convinced that some of the unfilled programs intend to keep spots open and fill internally after the SOAP ends?

For the record for now and next year. Yes, you can get an offer without having had an interview. It just happened to me.

(DO, 247/250, failed EM applicant, accepted Surg prelim at program I rotated at)

Reactions: 12 users

Congrats! Go kill that Residency :D

What their actions are telling you is that they liked you "below the unknown". That could mean they are overestimating the quality of "unknown" or that someone there didn't like you and that got you crossed off the list.

Either way, the program didn't "do this to you". They are not deliberately treating you badly; they're just trying to make the best decision for their program, which includes balancing the various personalities. Sorry about that.

Thank you for your response. What I meant by doing to you, i meant more like what process is going through their minds for this to happen.

I agree with the above. If you ranked them, didn't match, and they didn't fill (and you were not in the couple's match), then the only possibility is that they didn't rank you. So now your questions are 1) is there any value to reapplying, and 2) can I contact them afterwards for feedback.

Reapplying - this is a mixed bag. My sense is that if they didn't rank you the first time, they won't take you in SOAP. As mentioned, they decided they would rather SOAP than take you. If they have a large number of open spots, they might decide that a known quantity is better than someone unknown in SOAP. Maybe.

Contact afterwards -- you certainly can do this, but don't expect much useful information. This is an HR dictum -- if you don't hire someone, you usually don't tell them why -- mainly because of risk of lawsuits. If they tell you "the residents you met with didn't like you", you might reinterpret that to "They didn't like me because of my ethnicity, and thus they discriminated against me illegally". So, you're likely to be told that there "were more competitive candidates". That said, it can't really hurt to ask.

Reactions: 4 users
Got a prelim med offer in round 2 and accepted immediately!!!

For everyone still going through this, wish you guys the best of luck!!! This process is so awful and random. I started crying after my one and only interview this morning because I thought it went horribly and thought I would lose my advanced spot. So miracles can happen.

Reactions: 14 users
No offers :(

I'm so sorry :( Hang in there! There's still more rounds to go. And like someone else said, once you find out where you matched advanced on Friday, they will do everything they can to help you find a prelim as well because it's in their best interest as well. Crossing my fingers for you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Got a prelim med offer in round 2 and accepted immediately!!!

For everyone still going through this, wish you guys the best of luck!!! This process is so awful and random. I started crying after my one and only interview this morning because I thought it went horribly and thought I would lose my advanced spot. So miracles can happen.

Congrats :) That's great news!! Can I ask if you are an IMG??

Can someone explain how to apply to programs post-soap? How do I send my app? Do they need LOR? If so how do I get them to send them out?

Status
Not open for further replies.