SOAP 2017 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matched advanced but no prelim. When do you have to secure a prelim year by in order to keep an advanced position? If I am undecided on where I want to be could I just sit SOAP out and just pick at what's left in a few weeks?
you don't get the luxury of picking where you want to be...you should have applied to any prelim out there (unless you have a neuro advanced spot, then you have to apply for IM) and take whatever you get...if you do not secure a prelim spot by july 1st, then m/l you will have to forfeit your adv spot and re apply next year.

Members don't see this ad.

It is 9pm est , 12 hours before final offers...

safe to say i'm done.....

you don't get the luxury of picking where you want to be...you should have applied to any prelim out there (unless you have a neuro advanced spot, then you have to apply for IM) and take whatever you get...if you do not secure a prelim spot by july 1st, then m/l you will have to forfeit your adv spot and re apply next year.

Are you sure its july 1st? Cuz if so, how will that give the program time to find another person to replace?

Just got a call about 11am, and they asked for a different name then mine (meaning she called me thinking I was a different applicant). She sounded confused and then hung up. :(
you should have said, oh he's not here, but i too am looking for a position, what would you like to know? :)

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to everyone with offers in this SOAP. I am genuinely happy for each and everyone of you. Go show them that you are great and you are worthy! I know how painful all this is for those of us who had a bad experience with all of this. This match has killed me. :( I had no calls during soap, so I can't expect anything tomorrow. What do I do now? I have 2 kids that were counting on me to make it. Everyone believed in me and I let them down. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Friend matched into a Neurology advanced position, but did not get a prelim medicine spot. I have 2 questions:

1. In general, how often do advanced positions help to create prelim spots for their matched applicants?
2. Do the people who SOAPed but did not get a position after round 3 - does their advanced program get revealed to them tomorrow?

Congratulations to everyone with offers in this SOAP. I am genuinely happy for each and everyone of you. Go show them that you are great and you are worthy! I know how painful all this is for those of us who had a bad experience with all of this. This match has killed me. :( I had no calls during soap, so I can't expect anything tomorrow. What do I do now? I have 2 kids that were counting on me to make it. Everyone believed in me and I let them down. :(
Maybe move to Missouri and consider the Assistant Physician program for a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you sure its july 1st? Cuz if so, how will that give the program time to find another person to replace?

They can match a PGY-1 to the PGY-2 position in the next cycle. Aka someone who got a prelim position in this cycle and doesn't have an advanced position can apply for that advanced position next year.

2. Do the people who SOAPed but did not get a position after round 3 - does their advanced program get revealed to them tomorrow?

Friday

Maybe move to Missouri and consider the Assistant Physician program for a year.
I greatly appreciate your advice! Thank you! It's a possibility. But, from what I have heard, it's very difficult to get a job with that license since it is so new.

Clinical Site Monitor
Missouri Assistant Physician
Career Development Award
Analyst for State Funded Insurance
Clinical Research Coordinator

Other than the first one, I'm pretty sure I can stay in PSLF and make the federal government eat the money it loaned me. These jobs start at 40-60k

Mom is strong!

they will have a year to find someone to take your advanced spot...all those out there doing a prelim this year will be able to take over your advanced spot next year.

You didn't let them down! This system has just let everyone down! You should be proud of everything you've accomplished so far - you've worked hard. Don't give up just yet!!

Reactions: 2 users
I matched to a prelim year but not advanced. Thought I would be able to get something, anything, in the SOAP.

I got 7 calls from various fields.
0 offers

US MD
250+ Step I-II, P CS
Multiple publications
good third year grades
no red flags that I know of

:(

I matched to a prelim year but not advanced. Thought I would be able to get something, anything, in the SOAP.

I got 7 calls from various fields.
0 offers

US MD
250+ Step I-II, P CS
Multiple publications
good third year grades
no red flags that I know of

Holy cow, those are some amazing stats. Do you mind me asking what you were originally applying for?

Also, Im guessing that all offers are sent at the same time
Thats brutal man. I would rather not get a call at all. There is nothing worse than false hope. Although, your chances are higher during the second and third round compared to people who have not heard anything at all. Still, sometimes I feel like most of these PD's have not even been through situations like SOAP and don't fully understand how significantly tough it can be. We are all humans first. I just dont see why at such a tough time, people can't be open and honest instead of keep trying to play a game and have as many options open. Such a dirty buisness for a career thats meant to help improve peoples lives.

I had the same thing wasted A LOT OF TIME DURING CRITICAL hours probably a total of 2 hours talking to 4 different faculty members at one program how bogus. They really should limit their interaction to like 30 minutes max and only 2 people contact you at most not 4 with each of them telling you "we would love to have you"!

Also, Im guessing that all offers are sent at the same time

I had the same thing wasted A LOT OF TIME DURING CRITICAL hours probably a total of 2 hours talking to 4 different faculty members at one program how bogus. They really should limit their interaction to like 30 minutes max and only 2 people contact you at most not 4 with each of them telling you "we would love to have you"!

Did you miss other calls because of this?

I want to share a little bit about my experience: IMG, 229, 245, Pass, all first attempt, failed a couple of courses in basic sciences (due to me being very immature and making very bad deductions), 4 months of USCE, 1 US LOR. Didn't apply broadly in the regular match and also applied late in the cycle, got 2 interviews, thought they went fine but I was almost certain that I wasn't going to match. The Soap has been one of the most stressful experiences ever, applied to 20 IM programs and 25 FM. Got one call from one program as a preinterview, during the next couple of days I received an additional call from the PD and the chief resident, today I got a 2 min call from a faculty member expressing their interest to have me.
First round comes, and I got an offer from that program, of course I accepted it. The take out from this is that there's a spot for everyone, maybe not this year but the next one, you've worked so hard to get here, keep your head up and if you don't get an offer tomorrow (my SO didn't get any in the first 2 rounds), just go out and grab a beer and have some fun, you deserve it

Reactions: 3 users
4th year DO 220/249 Matched advanced in Neurology. Having to SOAP for an intern year
Got 2 phone interviews yesterday. Got 0 offers in round one or two and both places that interviewed me have filled.

Since I'm neurology I can only do Med/Prelim years and Transitional years. Can't do surgery prelim(which I wouldn't want to do but at this point I need something but this isn't even an option.) Wish there was a way for advanced neuro people to get first dibs on med/prelim years since we don't have the option to do surgery.

I noticed one of the med prelim has not filled any of their 3 spots that were open at the beginning of SOAP. Is this a case of them being unlucky with their offers or is this one of those dummy openings that they're not even trying to fill. It's in the state that I grew up in and would love to go there.

Figuring chances of getting an offer are slim tomorrow since the programs I interviewed at are done. So frustrating, because I matched at the only place that didn't guarantee their intern year. Really regretting having them so high on my rank list. Really liked the residency hence it being high but didn't consider the chance of not matching prelim year. The other major downer was knowing exactly where I matched on Monday because they were the only program that didn't include intern year.

Is there any concern about doing an AOA intern year and the ability to do fellowship after ACGME residency?

Really hoping my Advanced place can help me out. I'd hate to lose my spot. I also have a tons of friends and family coming Friday to celebrate the match and I haven't told anyone besides my wife that I didn't fully match.

Does the scramble generally all happen tomorrow or does the process drag out over weeks? Is there any way I'll be fully matched by Friday?

Clinical Site Monitor
Career Development Award

Other than the first one, I'm pretty sure I can stay in PSLF and make the federal government eat the money it loaned me. These jobs start at 40-60k

What is PSLF? Edit: nevermind- got it

Last edited:
4th year DO 220/249 Matched advanced in Neurology. Having to SOAP for an intern year
Got 2 phone interviews yesterday. Got 0 offers in round one or two and both places that interviewed me have filled.

Since I'm neurology I can only do Med/Prelim years and Transitional years. Can't do surgery prelim(which I wouldn't want to do but at this point I need something but this isn't even an option.) Wish there was a way for advanced neuro people to get first dibs on med/prelim years since we don't have the option to do surgery.

I noticed one of the med prelim has not filled any of their 3 spots that were open at the beginning of SOAP. Is this a case of them being unlucky with their offers or is this one of those dummy openings that they're not even trying to fill. It's in the state that I grew up in and would love to go there.

Figuring chances of getting an offer are slim tomorrow since the programs I interviewed at are done. So frustrating, because I matched at the only place that didn't guarantee their intern year. Really regretting having them so high on my rank list. Really liked the residency hence it being high but didn't consider the chance of not matching prelim year. The other major downer was knowing exactly where I matched on Monday because they were the only program that didn't include intern year.

Is there any concern about doing an AOA intern year and the ability to do fellowship after ACGME residency?

Really hoping my Advanced place can help me out. I'd hate to lose my spot. I also have a tons of friends and family coming Friday to celebrate the match and I haven't told anyone besides my wife that I didn't fully match.

Does the scramble generally all happen tomorrow or does the process drag out over weeks? Is there any way I'll be fully matched by Friday?

Why isn't surgery pre-lim not an option? I get its tough, but its not a death sentence. Its just one year, do it with enthusiasm and your half way to getting the job of your dreams (hopefully a career 20+ years). In hindsight, the "suffering endured" during the 1 year surg-prelim wont matter none in the long run. Just get your foot in the door!!! Unless ofcourse, there is another reason why you can't do it. In any case, I hope the best for all of us left unmatched.

Not expecting any interviews tonight. Good luck to everyone still in limbo.

Why isn't surgery pre-lim not an option? I get its tough, but its not a death sentence. Its just one year, do it with enthusiasm and your half way to getting the job of your dreams (hopefully a career 20+ years). In hindsight, the "suffering endured" during the 1 year surg-prelim wont matter none in the long run. Just get your foot in the door!!! Unless ofcourse, there is another reason why you can't do it. In any case, I hope the best for all of us left unmatched.

Neurology requires essentially 8 months of Internal Medicine during intern year. Surgery intern years do not qualify. No surgery program is going to be like yeah we'll take you and let you only do 4 months of surgery.

I would gladly take a surgery prelim year at this point if that was an option.

Reactions: 5 users
neurology requires 6 months of IM rotations so only prelim IM and TY that do 6 months of IM are allowed.

Wow, these are some crazy soap stories. The one poster got 2 IVs then soap worked in their favor! nice! Then you have neurology which is an even more intense story due to the ultra-competitiveness of prelim medicine and transitional positions, but the one caveat that you can't soap prelim surg!! BS!!!! You can do prelim surg and go into psych even but not neurology!! Change that asap and fully match this guy/girl now!!!

My soap experience is 4 ivs beforehand so not a huge chance of match but i felt they went well. Then I see two of my programs which I ranked in soap! Then no contact whatsoever, but both programs go unfilled first round! They fill second round. No calls all week.

I'm extremely inspired by the SOAP stories on this site and this experience had taught me a lot about the system and how to play it. We shall all rise up to the occasion and apply next year with an even more impressive profile.

For those of us without a SOAP offer tonight, I thought this video might help. My heart hurts a little less and I feel a littler better about myself after watching it. We can't let the match define who we are and what we have accomplished.

I really liked this quote - "Trade your expectations for appreciation for what you DO have"
The past few days reminded me how lucky I am to have the support from friends & family no matter what happens.

Yeah, this process is insane. I really wish the PDs would be up front with their intentions. It is so incredibly frustrating to go through this. I am a US DO student, did not match. I had a 3 part interview with a program and even spoke to their PD. She told me, "you seem to be a great applicant that was looked over" and that "we would love to have you at our residency". Was SURE that I would get an offer. Nothing. First or second round. Come to find out they filled all of their spots (there were multiple) and now I am essentially reduced to nothing. This process is so, so incredibly humbling and frustrating at the same time.

How can one afford to have a gap year between residency and medical school graduation? What does one do? Publish? Get an advanced degree? What if I do a DO residency that does not get accredited? I am so frightened but so numb at this point that I don't even know how to feel or proceed. My school has given be zero guidance, just said "take the first offer you get if you get one". How reassuring.

Neurology requires essentially 8 months of Internal Medicine during intern year. Surgery intern years do not qualify. No surgery program is going to be like yeah we'll take you and let you only do 4 months of surgery.

I would gladly take a surgery prelim year at this point if that was an option.
It still is an option. You could scramble into a surg prelim and then match next year into anesthesia or rads or even psych. I know it might seem jolting to switch medical careers like that, but lots of other folks in this thread already have.

I want to share a little bit about my experience: IMG, 229, 245, Pass, all first attempt, failed a couple of courses in basic sciences (due to me being very immature and making very bad deductions), 4 months of USCE, 1 US LOR. Didn't apply broadly in the regular match and also applied late in the cycle, got 2 interviews, thought they went fine but I was almost certain that I wasn't going to match. The Soap has been one of the most stressful experiences ever, applied to 20 IM programs and 25 FM. Got one call from one program as a preinterview, during the next couple of days I received an additional call from the PD and the chief resident, today I got a 2 min call from a faculty member expressing their interest to have me.
First round comes, and I got an offer from that program, of course I accepted it. The take out from this is that there's a spot for everyone, maybe not this year but the next one, you've worked so hard to get here, keep your head up and if you don't get an offer tomorrow (my SO didn't get any in the first 2 rounds), just go out and grab a beer and have some fun, you deserve it

where did you do your usce? were you still med student at that time?

Yeah, this process is insane. I really wish the PDs would be up front with their intentions. It is so incredibly frustrating to go through this. I am a US DO student, did not match. I had a 3 part interview with a program and even spoke to their PD. She told me, "you seem to be a great applicant that was looked over" and that "we would love to have you at our residency". Was SURE that I would get an offer. Nothing. First or second round. Come to find out they filled all of their spots (there were multiple) and now I am essentially reduced to nothing. This process is so, so incredibly humbling and frustrating at the same time.

How can one afford to have a gap year between residency and medical school graduation? What does one do? Publish? Get an advanced degree? What if I do a DO residency that does not get accredited? I am so frightened but so numb at this point that I don't even know how to feel or proceed. My school has given be zero guidance, just said "take the first offer you get if you get one". How reassuring.

yeah been following your story as well and you might win the heartbreak award. damn was sure you'd get a spot.

the only guidance the dean of student affairs will give you is how to proceed for the next match. They will not help you get job. That's on you. I would not get another degree unless you want to leave medicine.

Clinical Site Monitor
Career Development Award

Pretty good ball park. But it becomes 70-90k bracket after a year depending on state. Being a state worker is like a dungeons and dragons game I swear. There are different levels. At beginning level you are in 40k-60k range. Start low 40's with guarantee 5-10% raises per year till you hit 60k. Max. Unless you leveled up and allocate you higher on the flowchart (which happens, unless you are lazy). Then ti's like 70k with 5-10% till 90k (this is pretty much the peak). Anyways The PSLF is a nice perk. Hours are chill too. I believe I get almost 12 holidays pear year. With like 3 weeks PTO (it becomes like 4-5 weeks after 5 years with state).

Crazy job security after you pass probation. Basically I seen people straight up watch Chinese dramas while at work. If you get laid off, another state department has to hire you per union contract.

I remember when I went to med school they made a "look to your left, look to your right, one of you will not finish" joke; saying ," don't worry lol those were the olden days of medical school; we now have a 95% graduation rate!"

I have a joke: Look to your left, look to your right; 1/3 of apps will not match.

This might not be the right place to post this (could someone move it if so) but does anyone know if it is possible to complete a TY year and then start a categorical medicine program as a PGY-2 if I get offered a spot? That would be the ideal situation for me moving forward I think.

yeah been following your story as well and you might win the heartbreak award. damn was sure you'd get a spot.

the only guidance the dean of student affairs will give you is how to proceed for the next match. They will not help you get job. That's on you. I would not get another degree unless you want to leave medicine.

Am a IMG with decent scores. Did not match and no movement in SOAP. What are suggested next steps? Am I done for this year and re-apply again?

where did you do your usce? were you still med student at that time?
No, I graduated in 2015. I did most of my USCE with a contact of a contact, which was good because it ended up being more hands on, the rest I set it up myself just by applying to several programs. That one was an Observership that honestly I don't think it helped as much as the first experience.
I feel that I got very lucky because I've seen people with incredible stats that haven't gotten a spot, and I think the SOAP actually worked better than the regular match for me, it's just a very stressful situation, also the fact that IM isn't as competitive as other specialties helped.
My SO is going for a more competitive field, has 248, 240, pass and 5 months of USCE with 3 US LORS, and didn't received an IV during SOAP

Last edited:
Am a IMG with decent scores. Did not match and no movement in SOAP. What are suggested next steps? Am I done for this year and re-apply again?

I don't know. Re-apply if you can improve.

Scramble technically goes till june. Some people are idiots and fail a drug test or whatever. Positions can open. Your app is on file if you applied soap and if not eras is open till may?

With that being said, it is easily 10X more difficult to land a position during scramble (next 3 months) than this week.

I had the exact same experience, we probably talked to the same person! LOL

This is probably a dumb question, but when am I allow to call programs I didn't apply to during soap? Is it today or tomorrow? And what time?

This is probably a dumb question, but when am I allow to call programs I didn't apply to during soap? Is it today or tomorrow? And what time?
I believe we can start today (someone please correct me if I am wrong), when the NRMP releases final lists of unfilled programs at 12. Can someone give us some advice on what to say or what to write in an e-mail. What should we/should not say? Are calls better than e-mails? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Congratulations to all of you that have successfully found a match. For those that actually talked to programs during these last few days and did not get offers, good luck in round 3. They do say third time's is a charm. All the best to everyone!

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but anxiety is taking a toll on me right now. I have a few questions for people who did NOT match and did not receive any SOAP interviews/offers last year, but did match this year.

Between now and the next application cycle/match week, what are things that we should be doing in order to improve our applications? Is research imperative, or is it more important working in a clinical setting (i.e., medical assistant, scribe, working in a medical office)

Furthermore, should we obtain additional rec letters? Also is it true that my chances for matching have decreased substantially because it will be my second time applying? I'm a US IMG btw, I believe I did not match because I sent in my apps pretty late.

Also--is that Missouri assistant physician license worth it? do they have a lot of job openings for that position?

I just want to know what you guys did this past year in order to better your chances of matching...help a lost fella out.

US IMG Scores [passed on 1st attempt]: Step 1 209/Step 2 232/CS Passed

Welp no offers again :arghh:
into the scramble we go.

This entire process has been a complete waste of time and energy. They need a better system set in place. I'm taking myself to breakfast arghh :mad::mad:

keep your head up! things will work out!

Welp no offers again :arghh:
into the scramble we go.
There is still hope, according to the schedule it says programs can create spots for their partially matched applicants starting at 11. So something might work out! Hang in there!

You can apply for a Physician Assistant position. People told me I couldn't because I didn't have a PA license, but I was like dude... I have an MD... so when I contacted the job posting I told they wanted to interview me. They have good compensation, I would recommend it. Keeps you in the medical field, gives you experience, could get a LOC from the docs you work with, plus $$$$.

If you don't get into this apply for observerships, see if your school offers any temporary junior faculty spots, (I would recommend research last, most PD I talk to don't really care about it),publish a clinical case which isn't too hard (just pick a 1 unique case). APPLY FOR PTAL!!!! (if your from cali)

Get STEP 3 out of the way, there is only 6 months till September. You need to pass step 3 in 4 1/2 months (VERY SHORT TIME from now), other wise your scores won't but up on time (Cuz u know its get gotta get through the school & uploaded to ERAS etc.)

Trust me I'm in the same position, just don't waste your time crying or being depressed. You'll just keep feeling worse. I'm just giving you a plan for these next 6 months. Other people are acting fast.

Then again there's still scramble after this, so there's still a chance.

You can apply for a Physician Assistant position. People told me I couldn't because I didn't have a PA license, but I was like dude... I have an MD... so when I contacted the job posting I told they wanted to interview me. They have good compensation, I would recommend it. Keeps you in the medical field, gives you experience, could get a LOC from the docs you work with, plus $$$$.

If you don't get into this apply for observerships, see if your school offers any temporary junior faculty spots, (I would recommend research last, most PD I talk to don't really care about it),publish a clinical case which isn't too hard (just pick a 1 unique case). APPLY FOR PTAL!!!! (if your from cali)

Get STEP 3 out of the way, there is only 6 months till September. You need to pass step 3 in 4 1/2 months (VERY SHORT TIME from now), other wise your scores won't but up on time (Cuz u know its get gotta get through the school & uploaded to ERAS etc.)

Trust me I'm in the same position, just don't waste your time crying or being depressed. You'll just keep feeling worse. I'm just giving you a plan for these next 6 months. Other people are acting fast.

Then again there's still scramble after this, so there's still a chance.

I have never heard of getting a PA job with only a MD. What state are you in? Anyone else heard of this?

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but anxiety is taking a toll on me right now. I have a few questions for people who did NOT match and did not receive any SOAP interviews/offers last year, but did match this year.

Between now and the next application cycle/match week, what are things that we should be doing in order to improve our applications? Is research imperative, or is it more important working in a clinical setting (i.e., medical assistant, scribe, working in a medical office)

Furthermore, should we obtain additional rec letters? Also is it true that my chances for matching have decreased substantially because it will be my second time applying? I'm a US IMG btw, I believe I did not match because I sent in my apps pretty late.

Also--is that Missouri assistant physician license worth it? do they have a lot of job openings for that position?

I just want to know what you guys did this past year in order to better your chances of matching...help a lost fella out.

US IMG Scores [passed on 1st attempt]: Step 1 209/Step 2 232/CS Passed
HI all. Did not match and no calls during soap. Please suggest what to do to increase chances for matching next year. Also open for any alternate job suggestions like physician assistant someone mentioned. Can we apply for that job or need training and certification for it? This whole match process has been really expensive for me and it just seems waste because I dint match! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.