SOAP 2017 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, there is something very odd about his lack of match. I know programs with spots that will bend over backward to have him).

If I were him right now I would need to have a frank discussion with my PD about why the lack of match from home program and interview feedback since per him everything else are golden.
Speculation here as I don't know the poster but sounds like a few possibilities:
-IR/DR ranks with few spots and lack of IR background to justify getting ranked highly artificially shortening their effective rank list. Seemingly would have still gotten a DR spot.

-Geographic restrictions not disclosed in the post.

- Background will be potentially off putting to some programs. Taking 10? Years to complete a 4 year program could be a red flag. Even though the time was productive, there is much less flexibility of residency and can't adapt as well to taking extra years.

- Personality. With rads that means can you spend 8 hours a day for a month with someone in potentially a small space. This feedback will be hard to get so think long and hard about this.

-3rd year evals were lightly touched upon but seemed like a potential red flag source.

Best feedback will be a frank discussion with home PD.

Members don't see this ad.

Find the list of unfilled spots that was posted after the end of SOAP yesterday. Then begin calling all you feel fit your needs. It will be tedious. You can also send emails to programs with open spots. Look for the post made by @aProgDirector a few pages back on this thread for more details
Thanks.
I did look at aProgDirector's post but he doesn't cover the part about reapplying to the same program(s).
I can't apply to the same program(s) applied to during the season and SOAP again since the Program search only shows a tick mark in front of those programs and there is no "box" to select those program(s) to apply again.
When I look under "Programs Applied to" there is a "box" to check but only to withdraw from those programs indicating that my application to those programs is still active in ERAS and, therefore, should be accessible to PDs if they want to look.
Hence my question.
Usually, applicants just contact programs directly -- either by phone, email, or fax. As you can imagine, it's a bit of a nightmare for programs, as they could get 100's of calls. So you'll find that many phones get disconnected, or a message is left that the spots are filled / will not be filled / etc. So, expect a very low pick up rate.

If a program is interested, they will want your info. You can either send it manually (i.e email/fax), or you can apply via ERAS. ERAS closes on May 31, so all of your information and documents remain there and can be sent to any program until then. Standard ERAS rates apply. I wouldn't just send applications via ERAS to programs with spots listed -- the chances that they go back into ERAS to look, without knowing your app is there, is low. Although perhaps some programs will instruct you to do just that (which is fine, if that's their process).

If you're sending your app manually, you may not have your LOR's. Your choices are to contact your LOR writers and have them send copies, or use ERAS to send an application to the program.

Just received an email from ERAS about FindAResident.
Do people use it ?

It sounds like my medical school (MD AMG). Our faculty and administrators offered lots of help to all of us during the interview season as well as to a couple of students who did not match in the Main Match but matched later through the SOAP, which gave our class a 100% match.

Silly me! I thought that all medical schools were like mine. After all, it's in medical schools' best interests to match all their graduates. Love my school! :)

Best of luck to all looking for a spot.
Yeah, mine did the same. We had numerous "required all class meetings" throughout the season (beginning in 3rd year before our 4th year rotation/elective/vacation requests were due). Lots of people blew them off...some at their peril.

My graduating class did have 100% of people starting a PGY1 program in July after graduation. But not all of them were doing what they wanted to initially. Both the IM and GS programs created prelim (and 2 cat IM) spots out of thin air to ensure that everybody had somewhere to go.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, mine did the same. We had numerous "required all class meetings" throughout the season (beginning in 3rd year before our 4th year rotation/elective/vacation requests were due). Lots of people blew them off...some at their peril.

My graduating class did have 100% of people starting a PGY1 program in July after graduation. But not all of them were doing what they wanted to initially. Both the IM and GS programs created prelim (and 2 cat IM) spots out of thin air to ensure that everybody had somewhere to go.

As an IMG, I wish my medical school was like that. Once we graduated its like they took our money in exchange for a degree and sayonara, best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I matched so I do not have access to the SOAP data.

Can someone please post the SOAP unfilled programs online and provide the link. I think it shouldn't be illegal now as the match is over now.
I didn't see NRMP providing the data.

Finally got a DO TRI!! I'm so relieved. I applied Neuro and didn't work out but I've found Heme/onc more fascinating. I almost wanted to leave medicine all together but happy I didn't. Welp , back to work and getting to reapply.

Reactions: 6 users
@aProgDirector, thank you for all the words of wisdom and timely advice.

Do I need to reapply for the programs which I applied during SOAP?

If not, will the PDs be able to look at my application if they want to or do I need to send a paper/emailed/faxed application to be considered?

Thanks.

Kinda busy day for those of us in the GME business.

No, you can't reapply to those same programs. If you applied either in SOAP or in the regular part, they have your ERAS application. If that program still has open spots, you can contact them and say you're still interested. Maybe they will ignore you. Maybe not.

There's no reason to send a paper application

Reactions: 5 users
I matched so I do not have access to the SOAP data.

Can someone please post the SOAP unfilled programs online and provide the link. I think it shouldn't be illegal now as the match is over now.
I didn't see NRMP providing the data.

what he said ^
please!

Ok, that's actually just mean. This is a post on a website. Not going for grammatical perfection, written somewhat in haste on a smart phone.
Being a good writer has nothing to do w/ what one writes here. Wow, I can't believe I just had to respond to that. Why be hurtful, and why the likes?
maybe learning to be a *bit* more humble...if you interviewed the way you come off here, that may be a reason you blew your interviews...and blow your interviews you did...you received 25 interviews in Rads...hopefully you ranked all of them and not to match...THAT statistically is the impossibility...15 on a ROL should get you a 97% chance of matching (per the NRMP )...you looked good enough on paper to garner the interviews...but did not match that person in the real world...

you need to make an appointment with the PD of radiology at your home program and ask for a real assessment of your application and what you did wrong and what you need to fix...maybe have have them do a mock interview with you to be able to see what your deficiencies are and give you an idea on what issues need work.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I did look at aProgDirector's post but he doesn't cover the part about reapplying to the same program(s).
I can't apply to the same program(s) applied to during the season and SOAP again since the Program search only shows a tick mark in front of those programs and there is no "box" to select those program(s) to apply again.
When I look under "Programs Applied to" there is a "box" to check but only to withdraw from those programs indicating that my application to those programs is still active in ERAS and, therefore, should be accessible to PDs if they want to look.
Hence my question.
sorry, but what is the point of applying to programs that you applied to in the regular match and SOAP? they didn't rank you the 1st time if you interviewed there and they went unfilled..applying in SOAP and yet not being picked by them lets you know they do not want you in their program, period.

work to strengthen your application for next year. In the mean time, call, email, etc the programs that still have something, and look throughout the year for unexpected openings (some appear the end of July and August when people aren't able to fix problems and don't make it to their residency).

sorry, but what is the point of applying to programs that you applied to in the regular match and SOAP? they didn't rank you the 1st time if you interviewed there and they went unfilled..applying in SOAP and yet not being picked by them lets you know they do not want you in their program, period.

work to strengthen your application for next year. In the mean time, call, email, etc the programs that still have something, and look throughout the year for unexpected openings (some appear the end of July and August when people aren't able to fix problems and don't make it to their residency).
Thanks. I believe they did look at my application first time because I applied late and I got filtered out in SOAP due to my YOG.
I am hoping third time is the charm.
Failing which I'll follow your tip and keep looking for openings this season and strengthen my application for next season.

Last edited:
Kinda busy day for those of us in the GME business.

No, you can't reapply to those same programs. If you applied either in SOAP or in the regular part, they have your ERAS application. If that program still has open spots, you can contact them and say you're still interested. Maybe they will ignore you. Maybe not.
There's no reason to send a paper application
Thank you so much @aProgDirector
I am aware that I am clutching at straws but can't go to bed without trying my best.
I also know you must be busy and very much appreciate your words of wisdom on this forum.
I don't know what me and everyone else on this forum would have done without your timely and useful advice.

Stats: 230s (7 yrs ago...

Have you verified you are eligible for a license in the states you applied? Many states have a 7 year time limit between starting and completing the Steps. While there is additional time allowed for those with graduate education, I believe those are mostly for MD/PhD programs.

deciding to formally do a grad program bc I wanted the formal education

If that was the answer you gave your interviewers, they may have been very concerned about your commitment to the specialty. It a tight year that can make a difference.

As aProgdirector said, have someone from your program inquire. You may be the victim of a tight year and not a long enough rank list or you may need to retool your interview style and answers.

My medical school always reminded me of a school of dolphins always ready to form a life raft to keep afloat the ones who would encounter difficulties. Wonderful feeling of camaraderie and compassion. :)

Last edited:
So now what? Shall we assume that the remaining spots on the NRMP site are dummy spots that won't be filled?

So now what? Shall we assume that the remaining spots on the NRMP site are dummy spots that won't be filled?

Contact the programs that look like they have spots. Send an email to the places where you applied and/or interviewed to let them know you are available if one of their matched applicants decides to withdraw--it's rare, but it does happen. In fact, it won't hurt to send an email to programs who had open positions in SOAP and programs who are geographically convenient to let them know you are available if one of their matched applicants withdraws. Register for Find A Resident. If you get even an inkling of a bite, ask anyone you know who has any connection or influence with programs to call on your behalf. Connections matter at this point.

If all of the above fail, find a knowledgeable person in your field who can review your application and Match strategy to find the weaknesses that you need to address for next year's cycle. Develop a plan and execute it. Do whatever you can to maintain some clinical connection. Volunteer if you can't find something paid. Find a way to make the time from now until September 15th as productive as possible.

I know this is hard, but the only way forward is through. Wishing you the best.

Reactions: 2 users
Contact the programs that look like they have spots. Send an email to the places where you applied and/or interviewed to let them know you are available if one of their matched applicants decides to withdraw--it's rare, but it does happen. In fact, it won't hurt to send an email to programs who had open positions in SOAP and programs who are geographically convenient to let them know you are available if one of their matched applicants withdraws. Register for Find A Resident. If you get even an inkling of a bite, ask anyone you know who has any connection or influence with programs to call on your behalf. Connections matter at this point.

If all of the above fail, find a knowledgeable person in your field who can review your application and Match strategy to find the weaknesses that you need to address for next year's cycle. Develop a plan and execute it. Do whatever you can to maintain some clinical connection. Volunteer if you can't find something paid. Find a way to make the time from now until September 15th as productive as possible.

I know this is hard, but the only way forward is through. Wishing you the best.

Thank you. Now that it's gotten quiet in this thread I'm having to face reality, and that's never fun. I appreciate the good wishes.

When does matching outcomes get released?

After reading this thread I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I am a USMD and was in this this situation 2 years ago following an unsuccessful match attempt into EM and last minute change to IM and failed to SOAP into a categorical or prelim IM. I looked considerably worse on paper than many posters here though I didn't have board/class failures or major red flags. I found my school admin and faculty largely unhelpful through the ordeal. I took the route of delaying my graduation rather than doing an additional degree or scrambling for one of the remaining prelim surg spots. I was successsful in matching into categorical IM last year and so far have been greatly enjoying intern year even through all the hard work. Personally I'm pretty satisfied with where I ultimately ended up though I occasionally still feel some bitterness about the whole situation and understand a lot of the negativity and feeling of being abandoned as part of going unmatched.
If there's anyone looking for advice on navigating being a match reapplicant or just looking for someone to complain to freely you're welcome to PM me.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if it is okay to ask PD's at programs we interviewed at why they ranked us as such?

You can ask. They likely won't give you a useful answer. Now if you didn't match, asking for thoughts on how to improve your application could be more beneficial.

Thanks! I did match, but not in the specialty I wanted and am considering reapplying.

Rank list = 14. All said and done. I go to a school where people with much lower scores and grades end up at great places. No one has dipped before 3 in 10 years. Range of programs. Spoke to 4 PDs and nothing. Just missed. Interviewing=not a problem. And yes I am MD/PhD. Modesty on the forum and who nit picks that language? Someone not in my world. I am the victim of terrible luck. It's not the first or 4th time. It hurts when you spend 10 years devoting yourself to something bigger than yourself. It's isolating and time to move on. I put the post up because I needed to know that someone else has gone thru this or gets it. That's pathetic, because that's how I feel when I've read in passing what people write on here when I started to use this forum to check interview dates. That you feel the need to tear me down -- and clearly not be constructive in anyway -- tells me much more about you than you think you're doling out to me. My application wasn't perfect - yours isn't either. I am the furthest thing from perfect. I know my story sounds incredulous. Why are you interested in it? You may be hurting too because you've hurt me. This is the last time I'll be posting anything. This works out for me. I won't bother coming here to let you know.

The poster you were responding to didn't seem to be malicious and their post actually looked like they were trying to be helpful. As for no one at your school dropping below third on their rank list? I'm not sure how you would even know that. The schools themselves don't even know where their own students ended up on the rank lists.

Good luck for finding a spot for the following year. Maybe you'll manage to find a spot that someone gave up because they changed their mind. Keep an eye out for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Rank list = 14. All said and done. I go to a school where people with much lower scores and grades end up at great places. No one has dipped before 3 in 10 years. Range of programs. Spoke to 4 PDs and nothing. Just missed. Interviewing=not a problem. And yes I am MD/PhD. Modesty on the forum and who nit picks that language? Someone not in my world. I am the victim of terrible luck. It's not the first or 4th time. It hurts when you spend 10 years devoting yourself to something bigger than yourself. It's isolating and time to move on. I put the post up because I needed to know that someone else has gone thru this or gets it. That's pathetic, because that's how I feel when I've read in passing what people write on here when I started to use this forum to check interview dates. That you feel the need to tear me down -- and clearly not be constructive in anyway -- tells me much more about you than you think you're doling out to me. My application wasn't perfect - yours isn't either. I am the furthest thing from perfect. I know my story sounds incredulous. Why are you interested in it? You may be hurting too because you've hurt me. This is the last time I'll be posting anything. This works out for me. I won't bother coming here to let you know.

Look, I am going to be straight up because I think you need it. If your application came from a great US school, you have "incredible" writing skills, aced all your boards and rotations and finally went on 14 interviews have you ever considered that the interviews themselves did you in? You come across as arrogant at best, very condescending and unprofessional at worst and this is just online. If you presented yourself on interviews like this I unfortunately believe it probably made you DOA to these programs. We run into these applicants often, and we are looking for team players not people who think they are the best thing since Sir William Osler - they end up DNR.

I hope you take this opportunity to reflect and see what went wrong - your home PD may or may not be comfortable being honest with you on this. Remember you have to earn your way into a competitive residency, just going to a high level school with a great track record won't do the job for you - clearly there is work left for you to accomplish, and some introspection will probably be very helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Oh and 7 year rule? Excempt. What kind of school do you think I go to. I will also mention I matched at one of the most competitive TYs. Nothing makes sense here but it's fine. It ends well.
what the heck is " the most competitive TY"? prelims and TYs are not as concerned about you fitting in or being a team player...they only have to deal with you for a year...again, if you got that many invites, went on 14!! interviews and ranked them all? then you should have matched...sounds like your interview skills did not match up to the person on paper and got you either low on the list or DNR...blaming it on "bad luck" is just a way for you not to take ownership that you had a role in your outcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.