SOAP 2017 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, so it seems if I only got one call on Monday and nothing since then, and that program didn't offer a spot, they my chance of getting a spot at other places is very slim as programs already have made the list, right?
They might still offer you the spot in 2nd or 3rd round.
You have much much better chances than people who didn't get the phone interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, so it seems if I only got one call on Monday and nothing since then, and that program didn't offer a spot, they my chance of getting a spot at other places is very slim as programs already have made the list, right? Then what's the point of however we can use within 45 max limit during the entire SOAP process?? that's so stupid!
Most likely but you never know.. Stay positive

Congratulations, Just out of curiosity did you take the one with the skype offer?

Thank you! The program that offer the position call you?

It was one of the ones that called, but to be honest I think the main reason I got it was because I was fortunate enough to have done an elective at the institution in the anesthesia department so they kind of knew me already.

It was one of the ones that called, but to be honest I think the main reason I got it was because I was fortunate enough to have done an elective at the institution in the anesthesia department so they kind of knew me already.
Thanks for the info, and congratulations again.

Would it be ok to contact someone between round 1 and 2 that had contacted you prior to round 1 or is that a violation?

DO student, scored 35th-ish percentile for step 1, 95th percentile for step 2, some research experience and >> average leadership/volunteer/extracurricular activities. Applied for general surgery.

Applied broadly and ended up with 14 ACGME categorical interview offers, 15 AOA interview offers, made the (poor) call mid-season to participate in ACGME match only for a number of reasons. Was able to go to 12 ACGME interviews, ranked 11 places, and did not match. Being an osteopathic student in ACGME surgery and having a below average step 1 score, I knew I wouldn't be ranked at the top of any program, but its still very disappointing to fail after risking so much opportunity and thinking I had pretty good odds of matching. I hope this helps other osteopathic students in the future.

SOAP: Talked on the phone with 7 programs for preliminary surgery positions, ended up with 4 offers. Still kicking myself for the mistakes I think I've made but I'm grateful to have those options and hope that I will eventually be a stronger, better surgeon because of it.

I hope you all get what you deserve eventually. I know I will never fully understand the stress and struggle that some of you may be going through. Keep your support system close and hang in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
DO student, scored 35th-ish percentile for step 1, 95th percentile for step 2, some research experience and >> average leadership/volunteer/extracurricular activities. Applied for general surgery.

Applied broadly and ended up with 14 ACGME categorical interview offers, 15 AOA interview offers, made the (poor) call mid-season to participate in ACGME match only for a number of reasons. Was able to go to 12 ACGME interviews, ranked 11 places, and did not match. If I could do it again, I would rank strategically. In retrospect, post-interview communication can be very revealing and I wish I had inferred into the feedback I received, however cryptic it seemed. Being an osteopathic student in ACGME surgery and having a below average step 1 score, I knew I wouldn't be ranked at the top of any program, but its still very disappointing to fail after risking so much opportunity and thinking I had pretty good odds of matching.

SOAP: Talked on the phone with 7 programs for preliminary surgery positions, a couple of places at which I interviewed for categorical positions but ranked toward the bottom of my list for whatever reason. Ended up with 4 offers in the first round. I'm grateful to have those options and hope that I will eventually be a stronger, better surgeon because of it.

I hope you all get what you deserve eventually. I know I will never fully understand the stress and struggle that some of you may be going through. Keep your support system close and hang in there.

Congrats!! All the best !!

so the general consensus is offers if you've IV ?
but not the other way around?

Would it be ok to contact someone between round 1 and 2 that had contacted you prior to round 1 or is that a violation?
Once they initiate contact it's a fair game afterwards.
So, contact away......

I guess if they unfilled spots after round 2, maybe?
At least there's just one day left til this misery is over, so moving on can start. I feel for everyone, including myself of course, for experiencing such heartbreak. Don't judge me if I say that I matched last year and stayed only for 5 months and applied late this year and only applied to 44. Extremely poor decision making on my part, now suffering the consequences. But i think there's a reason for everything. I do believe that only when we experience failures can we know true success. I've been disillusioned that I'm a great candidate but this is def a humbling experience. I'm happy for the people that matched. Perhaps last year wasn't the right time. I will surely work on it and get a spot next year. We can still do this!

Reactions: 1 users
At least there's just one day left til this misery is over, so moving on can start. I feel for everyone, including myself of course, for experiencing such heartbreak. Don't judge me if I say that I matched last year and stayed only for 5 months and applied late this year and only applied to 44. Extremely poor decision making on my part, now suffering the consequences. But i think there's a reason for everything. I do believe that only when we experience failures can we know true success. I've been disillusioned that I'm a great candidate but this is def a humbling experience. I'm happy for the people that matched. Perhaps last year wasn't the right time. I will surely work on it and get a spot next year. We can still do this!

Lol and the news agencies are still talking about the doctor shortage and how important it is to create new residency positions. I wonder how long they will do that before any action will be taken.

Applied broadly and ended up with 14 ACGME categorical interview offers, 15 AOA interview offers, made the (poor) call mid-season to participate in ACGME match only for a number of reasons. Was able to go to 12 ACGME interviews, ranked 11 places, and did not match. If I could do it again, I would rank strategically. In retrospect, post-interview communication can be very revealing and I wish I had inferred into the feedback I received, however cryptic it seemed. Being an osteopathic student in ACGME surgery and having a below average step 1 score, I knew I wouldn't be ranked at the top of any program, but its still very disappointing to fail after risking so much opportunity and thinking I had pretty good odds of matching.

SOAP: Talked on the phone with 7 programs for preliminary surgery positions, a couple of places at which I interviewed for categorical positions but ranked lower than I should have. Ended up with 4 offers in the first round. I'm grateful to have those options and hope that I will eventually be a stronger, better surgeon because of it.

Congrats, but FYI, there is no "strategy" to your rank list that made you go unmatched. The rank list favors the applicant, and if any of the programs you interviewed at had you in a rank slot that would have matched, you would have. The only strategy is to rank every program you interview at, unless you would rather SOAP.

Reactions: 7 users
So when the new list is posted at 2 pm, if a program we interviewed with still has spots left, do we have to reapply to them? There's a section on ERAS soap that says "Soap programs eligible for reapply"....what does that mean? Or can they just still see that we are still available in the system?

So when the new list is posted at 2 pm, if a program we interviewed with still has spots left, do we have to reapply to them? There's a section on ERAS soap that says "Soap programs eligible for reapply"....what does that mean? Or can they just still see that we are still available in the system?
i think it means you are still in the system and prob on their list if you've IV, if theres spots available. on ERAS the area that says for SOAP reapply was for monday when we reapplied to 45 programs.

Lol and the news agencies are still talking about the doctor shortage and how important it is to create new residency positions. I wonder how long they will do that before any action will be taken.
Under this administration, it is highly unlikely.

i think it means you are still in the system and prob on their list if you've IV, if theres spots available. on ERAS the area that says for SOAP reapply was for monday when we reapplied to 45 programs.

Ok so there is nothing we should do between 2-3 pm but sit and wait? Should we let the program we talked with know we are still available or will they already know?

Had a 3 part interview and spoke with the PD who told me "we would love to have you" at the end of my interview. No first round offer. Pretty disheartening to say the least. Hoping for better luck next round and if it comes to it, then perhaps the AOA scramble.

Ok so there is nothing we should do between 2-3 pm but sit and wait? Should we let the program we talked with know we are still available or will they already know?
i don't know, i asked some friends but they said contacting again would sound desperate, but at this point aren't we all.

i'm watching the hobbit battle of 5 armies nerding out till round 2.

Reactions: 2 users

They will see that you are still available, but if you have already had contact with them there is no harm in a quick email or phone call to express interest if they still have a spot open. If their first round offer was rejected because the applicant they targeted received multiple offers, they are highly likely to go with the sure bet in the 2nd round.

Under this administration, it is highly unlikely.

I was loling at the idea of this administration if it starts ranting at the residencies to hire Americans first.

"On the phone with the NRMP! Tell the residencies to hire all American doctors FIRST or no federal funding for their residency!!! We will keep AMERICA FIRST!"

XD

Congrats, but FYI, there is no "strategy" to your rank list that made you go unmatched. The rank list favors the applicant, and if any of the programs you interviewed at had you in a rank slot that would have matched, you would have. The only strategy is to rank every program you interview at, unless you would rather SOAP.
Thanks, you're right.

I GOT AN OFFER AND ACCEPTED.

It was at the place that called me 1 hr before the deadline.

Congrats! And congrats on switching from EM to Path!

Now that we got some of the stronger candidates weeded out let's go round 2! It is my understanding that an unfilled program will likely go down their current list for round 2 but with round 3 we could absolutely get phone calls till tomorrow morning but they will not come till after 5pm est as that is when rd 2 concludes.

I think that "Programs eligible for reapply" are the programs that you applied for during the main residency match and that you are eligible to re-apply for during SOAP. :)

Had a 3 part interview and spoke with the PD who told me "we would love to have you" at the end of my interview. No first round offer. Pretty disheartening to say the least. Hoping for better luck next round and if it comes to it, then perhaps the AOA scramble.
Thats brutal man. I would rather not get a call at all. There is nothing worse than false hope. Although, your chances are higher during the second and third round compared to people who have not heard anything at all. Still, sometimes I feel like most of these PD's have not even been through situations like SOAP and don't fully understand how significantly tough it can be. We are all humans first. I just dont see why at such a tough time, people can't be open and honest instead of keep trying to play a game and have as many options open. Such a dirty buisness for a career thats meant to help improve peoples lives.

I was loling at the idea of this administration if it starts ranting at the residencies to hire Americans first.

"On the phone with the NRMP! Tell the residencies to hire all American doctors FIRST or no federal funding for their residency!!! We will keep AMERICA FIRST!"

XD
LOL

They will see that you are still available, but if you have already had contact with them there is no harm in a quick email or phone call to express interest if they still have a spot open. If their first round offer was rejected because the applicant they targeted received multiple offers, they are highly likely to go with the sure bet in the 2nd round.

That makes sense, I will do that. Thanks!

They will know. Candidates who matched in the first round will be greyed out.

I think that "Programs eligible for reapply" are the programs that you applied for during the main residency match and that you are eligible to re-apply for during SOAP. :)

Ah, I see. I matched advanced on Monday but not prelim, so the prelim programs on soap are all places I had never applied to so it says zero there...guess that's why I was confused.

So I obviously did this wrong. I applied to 45 programs yesterday, thinking the sooner the better... I'm guessing I should have left some open to apply later in the game...
Does anyone know if the spots you applied to are no longer available if there is a chance to apply to more? So the question is do we get 45 active applications or 45 total?

Ah, I see. I matched advanced on Monday but not prelim, so the prelim programs on soap are all places I had never applied to so it says zero there...guess that's why I was confused.
Same here. I matched advanced but not prelim, and some of the prelim programs I have already applied for initially and I was eligible to re-apply for them during soap. Best of luck... i know this is stressful!! I just hope we get anything during SOAP.

Just wondering if it's better to wait for one more year and improve the CV, and then get somewhere you like rather than SOAPing a position reluctantly.

IIRC you are path. If you soap into any path position obviously take it. You are likely talking about using your remaining 45 apps for prelim surg or categorical fam/cat int which are the 3 best shots.

For me it is a soul-searching kinda thing. I want pathology and it took me a long time to come to that realization; and now that I know it; and know it's possible (I did get 4IVs), I am not giving up and will apply and improve what I can every year until it happens. This was first eras for me and it's been enjoyable except for these last few days.

Now if you want path, why do categorical 3 yr positions? Are you gonna do 5 yrs of path after that? Also, you want to try not to get a cat, then apply for path next year and leave the program vacant, cause well.. you just shouldn't plan things that way.

Now you are thinking prelim surg cause it's only 1 yr then apply to path in sept right? This strategy will work if you are extremely confident clinically and know you will perform excellent in prelim surg and get great new letters for pathology by sept 15. If you are not confident in aceing prelim surg then the strategy (I think?) is to improve elements of your app and reapply. That's also the easy way to do it because some of these prelim surg programs are so toxic. You will not be happy or do well in their eyes.

Find a way to make money. Defer loans or move to income contingent repayment if you can. Improve your app. Reapply. SOAP. Repeat till match.

Same here. I matched advanced but not prelim, and some of the prelim programs I have already applied for initially and I was eligible to re-apply for them during soap. Best of luck... i know this is stressful!! I just hope we get anything during SOAP.

It's ridiculously stressful. Best of luck to you too!!! I really hope we both find something and get to keep our advanced spots!

So I obviously did this wrong. I applied to 45 programs yesterday, thinking the sooner the better... I'm guessing I should have left some open to apply later in the game...
Does anyone know if the spots you applied to are no longer available if there is a chance to apply to more? So the question is do we get 45 active applications or 45 total?

45 in total. I did the same thing. So basically if the place you applied to filled in this round, its a lost application. But in hindsight I dont think it will make any difference. As people have mentioned most all places will have already made a list of people they are willing to take in the SOAP in advance for all rounds. So even if you had applied to other programs during this next round, the chances of getting that option is just way too low. Know what I mean? I still believe the best thing is to apply for 45 spots from the beginning to the places that had the most spots and less competitive. I feel like updating the list of unfilled spots doesn't really do much besides telling the people who are still SOAPing which places they may still hope for some miracle from. Unless ofcourse you needed advance and prelim. And you filled the 45 with prelim, matched in round 1. Then you have no more apps to try your luck with an advanced program during SOAP. Even so, for someone to pull that off and SOAP in to 2 spots is divine intervention IMO.

Thats brutal man. I would rather not get a call at all. There is nothing worse than false hope. Although, your chances are higher during the second and third round compared to people who have not heard anything at all. Still, sometimes I feel like most of these PD's have not even been through situations like SOAP and don't fully understand how significantly tough it can be. We are all humans first. I just dont see why at such a tough time, people can't be open and honest instead of keep trying to play a game and have as many options open. Such a dirty buisness for a career thats meant to help improve peoples lives.

the same here, I got false hope and no offers. I don't blame anyone but it's very hard when you have your hopes on and it goes down again.

I need an advanced position, i matched in prelim had a cpl rads interviews no luck, had a soap iv no first round offer.. the pd even called me in the morning before the round asking if I was serious about moving and ready.. i told him yes and than no offer

completely agree

Reactions: 3 users
So I never got any calls and am looking to cold call DO programs tomorrow.

Some of them are not part of eras. So when I send them my apps, how do they get my LORs?? Doesn't that add an extra layer of complication?

Damn bro,, thats cold...

well advanced program is over for me.. only one iv and the place was taken.. hopefully after prelim i can get somewhere

Can we reapply to programs we have applied to already for SOAP?

I just saw the updated programs. Can someone confirm with me that im not going crazy, but i saw more programs in the surgery preliminary that I never saw the first time. Did anyone else notice this?

could be one of the worst experiences ever! atleast i matched into a prelim position

well advanced program is over for me.. only one iv and the place was taken.. hopefully after prelim i can get somewhere

I think you are in a better situation than someone who matched advanced but is SOAPing for a prelim. This gives you some to find an open advanced spot for the following year, and there are always people who get a waiver for their advanced position because they change their mind about the specialty. In a worse case scenario, you can go through ERAS again for the advanced spot and have a year off between your prelim year and advanced year. Or you could change your mind about your future specialty and have an opportunity to switch to a categorical spot after your prelim year. Getting your foot in the door was the key, and you accomplished that.

I just saw the updated programs. Can someone confirm with me that im not going crazy, but i saw more programs in the surgery preliminary that I never saw the first time. Did anyone else notice this?

Definitely a ton of surg prelim, I just don't remember how many there were before.

More calls when? After 5? Or should we expect them between 2-3? Not sure if I should take a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.