So I just failed anatomy.....a second time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not gonna lie, I just rocked my OMM practical

Not gonna lie, I did okay on my OMM practical.

It was a bit awkward having this whole conversation and then heading off to sit in a waiting room with @O Grady and trying not to giggle every time I looked in his direction.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dissecting made remembering the lecture material a little easier.

At the end of the day, it was still a lot of rote memorization and repetition. I'd keep redrawing stuff until getting a better spatial relationship and then adding more clinical stuff and embryo in later.

I was a TA but kept getting sick from the formaldehyde and stopped after a semester. Also, a lot of the students only wanted to know what was likely to be pinned and weren't the least bit interested in learning.

Sounds like my class. Though honestly don't blame some of them since anatomy may just be something they hate and never have to use later.

Everything is more simple than head and neck, except for pelvis and perineum.

I remember the day we started on the pelvis and identifying the female reproductive organs...it was like an epiphany for some of the guys as to what the uterus actually was and that it's really small when there's no baby. One was surprised that there were 3 orifices. And then there was the one guy who thought that a baby just grows in the abdominal cavity. :confused:

But yeah all the nerves down there are a pain.

Reactions: 4 users
I remember the day we started on the pelvis and identifying the female reproductive organs...it was like an epiphany for some of the guys as to what the uterus actually was and that it's really small when there's no baby. One was surprised that there were 3 orifices. And then there was the one guy who thought that a baby just grows in the abdominal cavity. :confused:

Lol female reproductive was the opposite for me. I did well on that part because I was curious and wanted to know each and everything down there that a normal joe wouldn't know. I guess I thought it as an investment in the future.lol

I'm a little terrified for any woman he's ever had a relationship with.

And even more, I'm shocked that he would actually admit this to classmates. It's like the kid I went to high school who told us he believed Santa was real until freshman year. I still don't think he's ever lived that down.

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah, seriously. The uterus is tiny... I still don't get how babies fit in, and go through, any of those places. :shrug: My OB rotation is going to be eye-opening, methinks.

With the way the atlas picture looks - you'd think the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovary, take up most of the abdominal cavity, when not pregnant. Magnitude and size can't be appreciated well with an atlas. Definitely not surprised about the not knowing the 3 orifices thing based on some people (not me) attempting to put the speculum in the wrong hole due to pt's body habitus.

The guy who thought a baby just grows in the abdomen o_O -- yeah um, I have nothing.

Yeah, seriously. The uterus is tiny... I still don't get how babies fit in, and go through, any of those places. :shrug: My OB rotation is going to be eye-opening, methinks.
A lot of hyperplasia and a lot of hypertrophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of hyperplasia and a lot of hypertrophy.

Yeah, for the "fit in" part, babies have a nice long time to grow, and the uterus and surrounding tissues have time to grow with them.

As for "go through", well, there's often a lot of screaming involved...

Yeah, for the "fit in" part, babies have a nice long time go grow, and the uterus and surrounding tissues have time to grow with them.

That's where smooth muscle contraction, natural oxytocin, and pitocin helps.

Both. We started out with head and neck, which I felt was a tough place to start. My biggest issue before was waiting too long to start studying, but for this next exam I'm going back to class and setting time aside to study every day, so hopefully come exam time in 4.5 weeks it will just be a review. That UMich site is pretty awesome. I looked at BRS but didn't find it that helpful.

Since we go to the same school, all the anatomy questions practically came from Gray's Anatomy Review.

Yeah, for the "fit in" part, babies have a nice long time to grow, and the uterus and surrounding tissues have time to grow with them.

Also tearing sometimes.

Reactions: 1 user
Since we go to the same school, all the anatomy questions practically came from Gray's Anatomy Review.
Are you for serious? Damn imma buy that now.

Also re people not understanding orifices:

I knew this chick in high school who didn't get it at all and the first time she tried to put in a tampon she put it in her butthole. I still laugh every time I think about it. Also the fact that we weren't even friends and she just told that story like it was completely normal. Lololol

Reactions: 5 users
Are you for serious? Damn imma buy that now.

Also re people not understanding orifices:

I knew this chick in high school who didn't get it at all and the first time she tried to put in a tampon she put it in her butthole. I still laugh every time I think about it. Also the fact that we weren't even friends and she just told that story like it was completely normal. Lololol

To give you an idea, I was absolutely horrible at Head and Neck anatomy. I could not visualize these pathways and their ganglia and what associated symptoms i would see; before using the book I would get 3-7/20 on practice questions right. After using the book and then going into the final for anatomy. My head and neck score was 50 out of 50 correct.

Gray's Anatomy Review is written by one of our anatomy heads (whom was also a Teacher at Harvard) at SGU. These questions are really really good for Anatomy clinical questions for both tests and step 1 /dental boards (from what I hear).

EDIT: I thought O'grady went to my school, but regardless gray's anatomy review is one of the most solid practice question book for anatomy.

Last edited:
Yeah i was about to say, Robotman I don't think you go to school with us...

Hmmm. @touchpause13 your probationary status disappeared for a while but it's back again?

How much math is there in biochem?

Nothing has been going on for some time. Ark posted like a year ago that he failed anatomy, then the thread persisted throughout time and ultimately sealed the deal on his banning. Then people spent a little time debating the causes of said banning. Then it devolved into general shenanigans.

Silent Cool for some reason has decided to go trolling today.

Ark got banned? I will miss the socially awkward comments greatly..

The only math you need to know is counting how far below the class average your grade is

True. I can't even lie.

I passed anatomy tho :p

Reactions: 5 users
True. I can't even lie.

I passed anatomy tho :p

I think in Biochem they had us calculate Anion gap and the whole Henderson-Hasselbach equation for pka-ph = log for kinetics and thats about it.

EMDO don't let other MS1's get to you, don't let your class get to you.

In MS1, I would hear people going over objectives as we waited for the exam rooms to open up and they would be stuff I barely know the answer to; this would freak me out but never once were these things ever covered on the test or the info they were giving out ended up being wrong.

What I'm getting at is people in MS1 are idiots. Every single one of them. Only focus on yourself, don't read facebook posts by classmates about material, just updates on whether there is lecture today or reminders of assignments due. Seclude yourself from other's academically because they don't have the same thought process as you. If you are the type that divulges in study groups, I don't think this applies, but I do think people shouldn't do study groups unless its lead by a tutor that scored an A in that class. But that's my personal opinion and I digressed a little.

Once you get to MS1, you'll realize who you are as a student and where you need to improve or if you are doing great, just coast along. The real gauntlet is in MS2 and the techniques you develop in MS1 will allow you to adjust to MS2.

At my school we have anatomy by itself in the summer, before things really get started in the fall. They do it so people get a good foundation and be able to focus only on anatomy. It's a challenging class, it would have been pretty annoying having to balance it with all of the other classes in the fall, especially with the amount of time you have to spend in open lab.

Also, if people can't pass anatomy over the summer, they can't continue. They have to have a good reason why they failed, to be able to re-take it next summer. If they weren't able to handle just anatomy by itself, they wouldn't have been able to handle fall.

I honestly think this is a really good idea that other schools could pick up.

So, I don't want to make a new thread about this, but I just finished reading the last god knows how many pages of the "So I just failed anatomy" thread that Ark started.

Now I'm exhausted and need a nap, and I feel like I'm stupider for having read it.

'Tis a shame him and Anasto are both gone :( They would've made a perfect pairing.

It's the Red Wedding of SDN.

Reactions: 3 users
At my school we have anatomy by itself in the summer, before things really get started in the fall. They do it so people get a good foundation and be able to focus only on anatomy. It's a challenging class, it would have been pretty annoying having to balance it with all of the other classes in the fall, especially with the amount of time you have to spend in open lab.

Also, if people can't pass anatomy over the summer, they can't continue. They have to have a good reason why they failed, to be able to re-take it next summer. If they weren't able to handle just anatomy by itself, they wouldn't have been able to handle fall.

I honestly think this is a really good idea that other schools could pick up.
Agreed. Anatomy was really tough -- IMO, much more difficult than the variously overlapping biochem, genetics, physio, micro, and immuno we have had so far this semester; It's a critical class and an important framework for everything we're currently doing (and will do).

I certainly appreciated having it by itself... even though it meant starting a couple months early. No reason to rush med school!

So, I don't want to make a new thread about this, but I just finished reading the last god knows how many pages of the "So I just failed anatomy" thread that Ark started.

Now I'm exhausted and need a nap, and I feel like I'm stupider for having read it.

'Tis a shame him and Anasto are both gone :( They would've made a perfect pairing.

It's the Red Wedding of SDN.

Anasto is gone too? Ayyyyyyyyyy lmao

Dude you're sounding more and more like Ark each day

Derm said YOU were sounding more and more like Ark. I think "sounding like Ark" is just code for annoying.

Derm said YOU were sounding more and more like Ark. I think "sounding like Ark" is just code for annoying.
lol touche. I fully acknowledge my weirdness/annoyingness, but I definitely lack the misogyny though. Just the way you asked TP like that sounded like something he would say.

TP do you like me or hate me?
I am capable of holding multiple feels about one individual.
There are things I don't like about you. There are things that I like about you.

If you ask for advice about something I can help with I am going to.

Reactions: 2 users

Obviously i hate you. You are the worst

Worst.gif

(Not srs. Don't ban me plz)

Anatomy is a freaking pain! and on top of it, my school put physiology in the same block... Are there any other schools out there that torture their students withe these two classes in the same block?

Last edited:
Anatomy is a freaking pain! and on top of it, my school put physiology in the same block... Are there any other schools out there that torture their students withe these two classes in the same block?

Like, all of physiology? To me, physiology only makes sense longitudinally (i.e. not in a "block") or systems-based. Doesn't make sense to stick it with anatomy unless you're doing anatomy all year too.

We didn't do physio until the end of MS1, when we started the organ system-based curriculum that carried through 2nd year, which is physio, path, and pharm for each organ system separately.

Like, all of physiology? To me, physiology only makes sense longitudinally (i.e. not in a "block") or systems-based. Doesn't make sense to stick it with anatomy unless you're doing anatomy all year too.

We didn't do physio until the end of MS1, when we started the organ system-based curriculum that carried through 2nd year, which is physio, path, and pharm for each organ system separately.
I think Physiology is ok along with Anatomy due to the same organ being taught at the same time. However, the most "tie-ins" will be with Pharmacology, obviously, as Pharmacology alters Physiology, or Pathology, since pathology tends to alter physiology.

Nothing has been going on for some time. Ark posted like a year ago that he failed anatomy, then the thread persisted throughout time and ultimately sealed the deal on his banning. Then people spent a little time debating the causes of said banning. Then it devolved into general shenanigans.

Silent Cool for some reason has decided to go trolling today.
Damn, I missed that. I really need to stop studying so much.

It is a 4-month longitudinal block....