So I just failed anatomy.....a second time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also Allo related: FM shelf and OSCE on Friday 8am-4pm. I don't wanna. :cryi:

good luck :))

tomorrow I have a monthly staff meeting at our office that I dislike the most amongst all of them, and I saw the agenda the manager prepared and it is all whiny employee BS nonsense. cue headache

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure. I secondhand experience it nonstop and it sometimes makes me want to punch a wall.

you can do it! :)
I wonder what is worse. Being a med student or being in a relationship with a med student. I suppose the former is tiring and sometimes annoying, while the latter is just frustrating, and probably annoying too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what is worse. Being a med student or being in a relationship with a med student. I suppose the former is tiring and sometimes annoying, while the latter is just frustrating, and probably annoying too.

Well. I will say that I knew what I was getting myself into. It is frustrating annoying difficult and in general exhausting sometimes. But the long distance part of it sucks more than the med school part

7 months and counting :)

Oh my god, Ark v2.0 over here with the "everyone be happy now that I'm leaving"

:p

Unlike Ark, I actually study. I think biochem will be less time consuming, but more difficult than anatomy.

Probably not more difficult, but I thought it was much more boring.

Anatomy was boring to me, sitting there digging through a dead man for 8-10 hrs a week, ugh-- glad that's over.

I'm at a year and a half. I think you're right that it won't be as bad as it was initially :)

did you guys start dating when you were a second year?
that's when we did. right before his second year started.
then wtf @ third year. like what even happened
now coasting through lots of(hopefully) interviews and straight to the finish line

Reactions: 1 user
did you guys start dating when you were a second year?
that's when we did. right before his second year started.
then wtf @ third year. like what even happened
now coasting through lots of(hopefully) interviews and straight to the finish line

We started dating towards the end of undergrad, and then for several gap years before I started med school. The long distance thing started when I moved away for school. I think you're well past the hard part (third year)... but I'm not so fortunate :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. There were definitely times where I had to be like "well I love you more than anything else on the planet but I don't know how to help or make things better right now so just take some time to decompress and call me in a day when you feel better"

**** third year

Nope. I'm loving biochemistry on the other hand, but anatomy just doesn't click with me
I'm the opposite.

Although now that we are in genetics I'm loving it.idk why but I get a huge nerd boner over this type of stuff

Reactions: 3 users
I'm the opposite.

Although now that we are in genetics I'm loving it.idk why but I get a huge nerd boner over this type of stuff

I was the biggest supernerd in school. I loved all the basic science classes.....
(Mainly because I can memorize facts + regurgitate them on exams really well)
Heh

Took FOREVER to get good at the "teeth" part of school. Stupid sim labs.

I was the biggest supernerd in school. I loved all the basic science classes.....
(Mainly because I can memorize facts + regurgitate them on exams really well)
Me too!!! :highfive:

Not surprising that I then hated M3.

The first item on the agenda for today's meeting is "wasting hours/clock in and out policies"

This is what my life has turned into.

Employees are worst than the WORST patients

Lol. Guys I can't wait for m3.

Yeah our D3 was nightmareish for me. Blech. Give me a textbook and I am happy
Exactly - it has everything I need to know, my job is to internalize the information and then regurgitate it on exams, and then out to bars for drinks and appetizers. M3 on the other hand -- catfights among classmates, passive-aggressiveness from overworked residents, etc. A lot of "hidden" rules, if you're a woman, depending on resident/institution maybe some sexual harassment thrown in. I'll take actual mutual respect from PhD professors anyday - they may not be able to impart the material well bc they're really getting old, but at least you knew they were trying and you had the material already.

The power differential on clerkships is immense. Residents truly do have the power to fail students on their evals if they want to. It's quite scary.

Lol. Guys I can't wait for m3.
Remember that when your female OB-Gyn resident is being passive aggressive to you but being awesome with a male med student. Or when your male surgical attending is getting a little grabby.

Exactly - it has everything I need to know, my job is to internalize the information and then regurgitate it on exams, and then out to bars for drinks and appetizers. M3 on the other hand -- catfights among classmates, passive-aggressiveness from overworked residents, etc. A lot of "hidden" rules, if you're a woman, depending on resident/institution maybe some sexual harassment thrown in. I'll take actual mutual respect from PhD professors anyday - they may not be able to impart the material well bc they're really getting old, but at least you knew they were trying and you had the material already.

The power differential on clerkships is immense. Residents truly do have the power to fail students on their evals if they want to. It's quite scary.

Residents graded us on our away rotations but that was it. I've heard the stories from him about ridiculous residents and it was pretty incredible.

Everything is easier as a sort of flirty girl.

Residents graded us on our away rotations but that was it. I've heard the stories from him about ridiculous residents and it was pretty incredible.

Everything is easier as a sort of flirty girl.
That helps on Surgery, but not as much on OB-Gyn where that will definitely backfire. Works opposite for guys on OB-Gyn, but not on Surgery so it evens out. M3 pretty much requires you to be a social chameleon of sorts bc each clerkship has such a very different "culture": Psych vs. Peds vs. OB-Gyn vs. Surgery, vs. IM vs. Neuro vs. Family Med.

Needless to say, it contributes a lot to specialties not liking each other and laughing underneath when one specialty gets its reimbursement cut and overall lack of cohesiveness when standing up to govt and lobbying. I can't really blame them. If you were a Pediatric attending and you remember how "mean" your attending on your Surgery rotation was as a med student, would you care or be up in arms that Surgery's lap chole or hernia surgery reimbursement is being cut? Probably not.

Remember that when your female OB-Gyn resident is being passive aggressive to you but being awesome with a male med student. Or when your male surgical attending is getting a little grabby.
Yeah I'm scared about that. But also I miss seeing patients. God I hope I don't get harassed tho, I can't deal with that kinda crap.

Kaus' on-gyn resident stories were the worst

Yeah, it can be hit or miss with the female OB-Gyns residents. Guys can also be mistreated too esp. if they're man-hating fuglies.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I'm scared about that. But also I miss seeing patients. God I hope I don't get harassed tho, I can't deal with that kinda crap.
I mean don't go in anticipating that (obviously). But you'll see that what the "rules" are aren't necessarily followed, and you'll notice the hierarchy right away on certain specialties and can feel the power differential. A lot of "hidden curriculum" stuff involved that if you don't know about in advance can leave you a little disillusioned.

I heard that the female OB/Gyn residents and attendings are usually complete dicks to the male med students.

I heard that the female OB/Gyn residents and attendings are usually complete dicks to the male med students.
I was just using that as an example, bc touchpause is a female. See what I said after that. lol.

Not this again...

The vast majority of women who report rape aren't lying

These stats are hard to measure accurately but if you go for unfounded reports (which could be for more reasons than just that she is lying) it's 2 to 8% so even if every one of those was because she is lying, 92% are telling the truth.

Note: I'm using female pronouns because I've never seen a study about male victims.

That's kind of strong statement! The guy was found innocent...
Oh he went to trial? I didn't know that. I thought she was found to be a liar though.

These stats are hard to measure accurately but if you go for unfounded reports (which could be for more reasons than just that she is lying) it's 2 to 8% so even if every one of those was because she is lying, 92% are telling the truth.

Note: I'm using female pronouns because I've never seen a study about male victims.
Yeah, I tend to believe in innocent until proven guilty. Women can be just as guilty of lying as men are, esp. when relationships go awry, or there is a financial motive, etc. Too often rape accusations are more guilty until proven innocent -- see the Duke Lacrosse rape hoax case in which the defendant's lives were ruined bc of a party in which they hired a stripper.

Oh he went to trial? I didn't know that. I thought she was found to be a liar though.
I don't think it went to trial! but there were a civil suit; he gave her some money... She basically was someone who wanted money... I don't like Kobe though, but I just don't think it's fair for these women to damage people's reputation the way she did...

Last edited:
Yeah, I tend to believe in innocent until proven guilty. Women can be just as guilty of lying as men are, esp. when relationships go awry, or there is a financial motive, etc. Too often rape accusations are more guilty until proven innocent -- see the Duke Lacrosse rape hoax case in which the defendant's lives were ruined bc of a party in which they hired a stripper.

Yeah... I always believe the victim. 90 some percent chance she's telling the truth, I'm assuming she's telling the truth. Seeing as I'm not on a jury the most harm I can do is to not believe her. I'd rather error on the side of comforting someone who doesn't deserve it, than to be critical and cruel to someone who is really hurting.

That's kind of strong statement! The guy was found innocent...
I was under the impression that he just paid her to change her story. His story was inconsistent too. I believe in innocent until proven guilty but the story was kind of fishy. You're right though, I was too quick to jump to a conclusion.