MD So, it looks like I may have failed a class by four questions? Any advice and recommendations please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I really hope you all are doing well. It seems that I may have unfortunately failed a course by four questions? I will talk with my professor, and see, if I may be able to pass somehow. Any advice and recommendations from others that have been in this situation before? I REALLY tried SO VERY HARD for this NIGHTMARE of mine NOT to happen..... but it looks like it happened anyway..... Thank you all so much for all of your time, help, patience, advice, and consideration. It is all greatly appreciated..... ☺️

Members don't see this ad.

Try for leniency but expect you won’t get it. Your student handbook should spell out the process for remediation of a failed class. Obviously your first priority is figuring out how to pass this class so you can move forward.

Take this as a wake up call and opportunity to turn things around early. Do whatever it takes to get it together so this is the only blip in your record. If it is, you shouldn’t have any doors closed to you later.

Reactions: 3 users
First , you need to admit you failed. Not by 4 questions, but you failed. You didn't master the material to the expected level. Next, honestly asses, with your professor what were the reasons why you we unable to be successfu? You have been successful in other courses, why is this one different?. Address these reasons in a systematic fashion. You might have not put in the necessary time, or utilized quality study time, or were caught with your pants down and just unprepared. Were external forces, family, illness, relationships, etc., a factor? After an honest assessment of your situation, you can move forward with a plan for success. You have performed in other courses, no reason you can't perform in this one during remediation. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a running joke that academic support services are mostly used by students who don't need them. The student swho are in serious trouble have a strong tendency to disappear and try to hide their shame. While this response is understandable on some level, it's also self defeating.

My strong recommendation is to be as proactive as possible and make use of every resource your school offers. There are people in your school who can help you succeed, you need to form relationships with them and be ready to follow their advice. This will also show the faculty that you are mature and willing to take ownership of your education.

If you have distractions in your life you may need to consider reducing or eliminating them. Struggling students sometimes cope with the anguish by actually diverting more time away from studies and into other activities they find enjoyable. It's sort of an emotional salve, but again it becomes a self perpetuating downward spiral.

Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Thank you all, and I will heed your advice. Is there any way I could get four questions back possibly, after maybe challenging a few questions from my final and midterm? Has anyone done this before? If so, what are all of your advice and recommendations to succeed in this?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You are welcome. Please head the advice about admitting you failed and didn't master the material. Wasting time on trying to get a few questions thrown out will.prevent you from.moving forward toward successful remediation.

• Love
Thank you all, and I will heed your advice. Is there any way I could get four questions back possibly, after maybe challenging a few questions from my final and midterm? Has anyone done this before? If so, what are all of your advice and recommendations to succeed in this?
It depends. If it’s a MC NBME exam then it’s highly unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody,
I really hope you all are doing well. It seems that I may have unfortunately failed a course by four questions? I will talk with my professor, and see, if I may be able to pass somehow. Any advice and recommendations from others that have been in this situation before? I REALLY tried SO VERY HARD for this NIGHTMARE of mine NOT to happen..... but it looks like it happened anyway..... Thank you all so much for all of your time, help, patience, advice, and consideration. It is all greatly appreciated..... ☺️
Your best bet is to evaluate where you fell short at so that you’re able to better prepare for the remediation. It could be study habits, amount of studying, or maybe needed a tutor for certain concepts. Hard to know with the lack of info.

• Love
Challenging four questions is not worth your time and energy that could be better spent getting your foundational knowledge where it needs to be in order to pass whatever remediation process is likely coming your way as stated above by @Angus Avagadro.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Asking us about your chances of getting four points back are a waste of time. This is something between you and your professor.,

TG, I know that you're in almost a grieving state right now, but you're not an UG student anymore who has to beg for points so your GPA won't be harmed and thus affect your chances to get into med school. This mindset is harmful! The most important thing to do now is find out why you failed this class, and then gain the skills to pass the remediation.

And honestly, if you were my student, you'd have failed the class. You failed to display even minimal competence, much less displayed any mastery. Med school faculty aren't in a position to give back sympathy points just to pass students.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Is there any way I could get four questions back possibly, after maybe challenging a few questions from my final and midterm? Has anyone done this before? If so, what are all of your advice and recommendations to succeed in this?
This is certainly how I want my doctors to approach their learning.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Sorry... this isn't undergrad. You cannot plead for extra credit or give some bribe to get your score raised to a pass. You can't do this on your board exams, so don't think this will work. You could make yourself liable for a professionalism issue if you aren't careful.

• Love
The amount of time that you would spend trying to challenge questions which are likely perfectly legitimate would be better spent learning the material better for your remediation. Being given the opportunity to remediate is leniency.

Lots of good advice here. Avail yourself of the resources at your school rather than trying to hide your shame and "bootstrap it."

• Love
I think the problem is that you still think like an undergrad - as if every exam is just to move on to the next one. Start thinking like a future doctor - every exam is to master the material that will later be useful for patient care. You will be responsible for people's lives and health. So, start holding yourself to a higher standard.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Don't get your hopes on having that exam turn into a pass, presumably most students passed the exam. If perhaps a much larger than an anticipated portion of the class failed then maybe they'd reassess their questions to see if it was an issue from their front.

Unfortunately, the reality is that you failed your exam. That doesn't make you personally a failure, far from it, because your next step is you're going to start being introspective and see where and how you went wrong and not waste energy and time blaming the exam. That's your only way to succeed going forward.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
OP, tell you what. I failed the first module exam of my M2 year by 1 point. A single point. It felt awful but I took it head-on and studied and retook the exam for a pass and sought advice and resources from faculty so it wouldn't happen again. Being in denial about your failures or shortcomings means you will never grow and improve.

Four questions is a lot… maybe I might understand you complain about one single question. In reality you should pass by like 30+ questions. So you really actually failed hard.

Reactions: 2 users