SLU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received any info on when the school yr starts or all the forms such as immunizations etc. that we have to fill out?

I know it's not a compact Med School calendar, but the first linke below includes all the starts and stops of this coming year at SLU Med.

Looks like the White Coat Ceremony is August 5, followed by a week of orientation, with classes starting the 13th. I've also seen the orientation schedule for last year, and it looks like there are activities for everyone, no matter your marital/parental status, age, or interest. :thumbup:

http://www.slu.edu/services/registrar/pdf/Official2007-08AcademicCalendar.pdf

http://medschool.slu.edu/studentaffairs/Schedule_06.pdf

I'm going to STL in a couple weeks and was wondering if it would be advisable to secure housing before getting a roommate, or if i should do it the other way around?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it snow in st. louis? I know it rains, and it gets pretty cold, but does it snow?

I'm going to STL in a couple weeks and was wondering if it would be advisable to secure housing before getting a roommate, or if i should do it the other way around?

It would probably be wise to make roommate arrangements before securing housing. You don't want to be stuck paying for a 3-bedroom apartment by yourself.

Hi guys. I looked at apartments on Wednesday. Georgetown and Park Forest looked very nice, the staff was friendly, and it seems like the apartments are well upkept. I did not like Hamptom Gardens, the apartments seemed puny for the cost, and did not include as many amenities. West End Terrace was really nice, but the price is like $200 dollars more expensive than other places. There were more extras included, but I don't know how neccesary they all are. Reserve was nice too, but was more expensive than Georgetown and Park Forest and the floor plan wasn't as nice.

Just my two cents. I didn't look at other stuff, I'll do that when I'm home in May. But just from looking, Georgetown seems the best.

Hi guys. I looked at apartments on Wednesday. Georgetown and Park Forest looked very nice, the staff was friendly, and it seems like the apartments are well upkept. I did not like Hamptom Gardens, the apartments seemed puny for the cost, and did not include as many amenities. West End Terrace was really nice, but the price is like $200 dollars more expensive than other places. There were more extras included, but I don't know how neccesary they all are. Reserve was nice too, but was more expensive than Georgetown and Park Forest and the floor plan wasn't as nice.

Just my two cents. I didn't look at other stuff, I'll do that when I'm home in May. But just from looking, Georgetown seems the best.

I felt the same way when I visited a couple of weeks ago.

I was looking at single bedrooms mind you, but the cost between Park Forest and Georgetown and vs West End Terrace was about the same considering the utilities and stuff.

I was looking at single bedrooms mind you, but the cost between Park Forest and Georgetown and vs West End Terrace was about the same considering the utilities and stuff.

That might make a big difference. I was looking at two-bedrooms. What I really liked about Georgetown was their two-bedroom floorplans. They have several to choose from. They have a floorplan called the Arlington that is well over 1,000 sq. ft. for 745 a month. The two-bedroom at West End Terrace was almost 900 a month for only about 800 sq. ft. Similar situation at The Reserve. I did like Park Forest though. You just don't get quite as much square footage for the price as Georgetown (2-bedrooms). My ranking of the apartment complexes I looked at:

Georgetown
Park Forest
West End Terrace
The Reserve
Hampton Garden

I actually really liked the location of The Reserve. The apartments weren't bad either. They were just WAY to expensive on their two bedrooms.

I'm going with West End Terrace mainly because they were the first to get back to me after being put on the waitlist. I would have gone with Georgetown or Park Forest if it were them to contact me first.

I have lived at Hampton Gardens over the past 2 years. true that it isn't as nice as some of the other complexes but it is really quiet and peaceful with a nice park across the street. But if you are getting a roommate it is a pretty good deal considering you don't have to pay for heating. This can get pretty expensive during the winter time ($100+). Plenty of trees around so it stays cool in the summer time. we havea 2 bd and our electric+gas is only like $35-40/month total. Just something else to consider.

We should have a housing forum on SDN, the one on the SLU Housing website doesn't seem to have too much activity...

Members don't see this ad :)
ANyone living in St. Louis know any good apartment complexes or neighborhoods for married students with children? Thanks!

Hey fellow classmates - I will be attending SLU too. Along with Aaronkun, I am also interested in areas that will be will be good for a family.

Are there areas in the county that offer a little more space (house/yard) with a decent commute (30-45 min)?

There are many good areas. When you start to look, and figure out what school district you'll be in (how old are your kids?), I can at least tell you about different school districts.

Hey fellow classmates - I will be attending SLU too. Along with Aaronkun, I am also interested in areas that will be will be good for a family.

Are there areas in the county that offer a little more space (house/yard) with a decent commute (30-45 min)?

Hi. Part of what factors into this are how old your kids are (school age - or will be school age within 4 years), are you looking to rent or buy, how much space are you looking for, etc. You can find just about anything if you're willing to commute 30-45 minutes.

I have a husband and (almost) 3 yr old. We own a house and I have a 30 minute commute. My husband has a job that helps support us. PM me if you'd like more details about where we live.

chanjurban

congrats Soccer!!!! Oh and welcome to SDN ha ha ha. there seem to be a lot of people looking for roommates....we should start a SLU roommate thread (unless there already is something like that :confused: ). In case you didn't guess, I'm looking for rommates too, but coming from CA it's going to be hard to do....the housing website for SLU is supposed to be pretty informative, and I'm perusing craigslist to see what's out there. How many people are you looking to live with?
hey! yeah...i looked at the website, and not sure if i'm a big fan. they have the more pricey apts up...but i think there's more out there. i looked around when i was there before and saw alot of amazing places. i'm looking to live with one or 2 other students. i'm also in cali, so thinking it may be difficult but i do have a friend who is a first year there who is very willing to help out. what about you? what are you looking for? where in cali are you from?

Thanks for the willingness to help.

Another thing that makes this more difficult is that I had a regional interview in Seattle. The only part of St Louis I have seen is inside the airport. My wife and I will be visiting the area in May but getting some information about where to start looking is what I am after.

Here is some additional info:

My daughter will be about 2 yrs old when we start school. So we are not too concerned with the school districts at this point.

We are looking to rent a house in a decent neighborhood. A 2-3 bedroom with some sort of yard would be fine. Price? 600-900. I am not sure what is reasonable.

For commuting, I could beat traffic in the morning and then be flexible in the afternoon.

What are some good starting points?

fisher-

Kirkwood might be a good place to start. Its just a quick drive down 44 from the med school. Its a good area and there should be plenty of reasonable places to choose from.

Hey,
It seems like most ppl here are from Cali....(West Siiide!!) i'm from Fresno n I'm finishing up @ a school here in Missouri. I have an idea of where I may be living..(nothing is concrete yet as i haven't even called them..lol).. I need a roommate n have to find one/two soooon..

Hey,
It seems like most ppl here are from Cali....(West Siiide!!) i'm from Fresno n I'm finishing up @ a school here in Missouri. I have an idea of where I may be living..(nothing is concrete yet as i haven't even called them..lol).. I need a roommate n have to find one/two soooon..

Same here where are you planning on staying...

I have no idea how to go about finding a roommate when moving halfway across the country

Hey guys,
Y'all should check out the facebook group i made for us .. invite your friends to join in so we can start gettin to know each other.:)

Did you make it an open group? I searched for it and all I found was the undergrad class of 2011 group...

I couldn't find it either so I made a new one.

The group that cutie20 started is there, you just have to search for St. Louis instead of Saint Louis or SLU.

The group that cutie20 started is there, you just have to search for St. Louis instead of Saint Louis or SLU.

I tried that too, and still couldn't find it. Could you add some parameters to narrow down the search

Officially got my first med school acceptance and it was SLU. Very excited to meet everyone. I have no idea what I am going to do with housing and if I get off the wait list at my state school I won't be going to SLU. Anyone else in the same situation???

I'm going with West End Terrace mainly because they were the first to get back to me after being put on the waitlist. I would have gone with Georgetown or Park Forest if it were them to contact me first.

**** there's a waitlist already? I have been procrastinating looking for a place, but maybe it's time to start :eek:

Also, anyone from New York?

**** there's a waitlist already? I have been procrastinating looking for a place, but maybe it's time to start :eek:

Also, anyone from New York?

There was probably a waitlist because March/April is sort of a random time to be looking for apartments in a University area. Lots of places will probably open up in May/June/July as school ends...so I wouldn't stress out too much ;)

I'm leaning towards that same apartment complex though, location seems right, rent is okay, and pictures online look nice enough. West End Terrace here I come (once I find a roomie!)

There was probably a waitlist because March/April is sort of a random time to be looking for apartments in a University area. Lots of places will probably open up in May/June/July as school ends...so I wouldn't stress out too much ;)

I'm leaning towards that same apartment complex though, location seems right, rent is okay, and pictures online look nice enough. West End Terrace here I come (once I find a roomie!)

AHA thanks for the info. Was starting to feel like I was really behind :D

Also, you're from Cali and you already know where you might want to live? Are you planning on flying down at some point and checking them out?

Yeah, I'm not going to sign anything until I see the place, that's for sure :D

That said, I've been doing some research into different buildings and hearing what people have said and I think I've narrowed it down to trying to live in the Central West End. It seems like a decent neighborhood, restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc, relatively close to the school but you don't need to take a freeway to get there (which may or may not be a problem with the upcoming construction...no one seems to know for sure so I'd just rather avoid the whole thing :p). People have been saying it's more expensive there, but I'm coming from LA and more recently SF so...yeah, anything will be cheaper than what I've been paying.

Long story short, once I find a potential roommate I'll probably head out there one weekend to check out some places in that area, but that specific apartment complex sounds good right now. I'm staying open-minded though.:)

the waitlist was me, hahaha. i got the first one room apartment they had. did i need to start this early...no. am i glad i already know where and when i'm going to move...yes. at all the complexes i'm sure that there will be a crap ton of openings from here to august. they only require two months notice of leaving at most of the places i looked at so rooms will become available closer to the beginning of classes as students and others move out. I'm really pumped about west end terrace btw.

Anyone going to SLU from New York? I have already located one person, and we are going to meet up for drinks in the city at some point, so if anyone else wants to come along, PM me. It will be great to meet some people before heading out there.

Cheers!

Similarly, anyone going to SLU who is currently in the Boston area? We could meet up for coffee or something. PM me!

Ditto for anyone from Sacramento area

I'll throw my hat into the ring as far as meeting new classmates before August as well. I'm living in Columbia until June 12, then I'll be splitting my summer between the Springfield area and St. Louis.

Woohoo, Missouri residents!! :cool:

What's the consensus on public transportation? is the metrolink safe? the bus? do people bike to school?

i've wondered the same as there is a metro stop right on grand above 40. that's pretty close to the school. still, i've never heard of anyone really using it that much.

I used metrolink on my interview day, rode from the airport to school and then went down to see the Arch and back to the airport. It seemed pretty nice, a heck of a lot cleaner than Philly's subway. On my way back to the airport there were a number of grade school kids riding and a lot of college kids so I figure it's probably fairly safe. Of course on my way to the aforementioned metro stop after my interview a guy did try to hustle me into a game of watch the pebble under the bottle caps. I told him I didn't gamble and he just said I was a square and moved on to the next guy.

MetroLink is safe as long as you don't ride it into East St. Louis (past the downtown stops across the Mississippi River). I ride it all the time since I went to undergrad here.

Sorry to change the subject, but I heard rumors of financial aid awards being sent out soon. Has anyone heard anything?:confused:

Yeah...it would be nice if they'd tell us that already...

MSII here. I think that Financial Aide info should be coming soon. I just got my scholarship/aide info for next year last week, so it should be on its way.