SLU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The matchlist hasn't been added to the SLU website yet, but it's on display at the med school if anyone wants to take a look at it.

That's difficult to do from Wichita.

Still, I'd personally like to see it since I know most of the students involved........

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone!
just wanted to say hello to my classmates of next year! i took the official plunge this week and sent in my final acceptance to slu! i am extremely excited about starting there!! now am looking into housing options...what's everyone thinking? i stayed with a friend in central west end when i interviewed an absolutely loved the area. thinking about looking around there. anyone looking for a roommate?
look forward to meeting all of you!

Anybody know which neighborhoods it's better to avoid when apartment hunting? I'm not used to considering this since i'm from a smallish city.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you really need to avoid any "rough" areas (at least out of the reccommended properties on the website). I think the danger of living in St. Louis is way overrated the more people I talk to.

I am concerned about the highway construction that is going to be going on in the next few years. The commute from apartments like Georgtwon or Park Forest could be affected big time and I was really looking at living in those. This might sway me more towards West End Terrace

I don't think you really need to avoid any "rough" areas (at least out of the reccommended properties on the website). I think the danger of living in St. Louis is way overrated the more people I talk to.

Well, that's just plain wrong. St. Louis is an extremely dangerous city and it is very very very important that you take that into consideration when picking out a residence.

That being said, I lived in West End Terrace for 2 years and only had minor problems (car was broken into 2 x in their gated parking lot, which you'll find to be the most common crime you'll encounter).

so you are saying there are properties on the website that are bad recommendations for places to live due to them being in dangerous areas??? I understand you have had experience, but others I've talked to who live there or lived there like you have seriously played it down.

hey everyone!
just wanted to say hello to my classmates of next year! i took the official plunge this week and sent in my final acceptance to slu! i am extremely excited about starting there!! now am looking into housing options...what's everyone thinking? i stayed with a friend in central west end when i interviewed an absolutely loved the area. thinking about looking around there. anyone looking for a roommate?
look forward to meeting all of you!

congrats Soccer!!!! Oh and welcome to SDN ha ha ha. there seem to be a lot of people looking for roommates....we should start a SLU roommate thread (unless there already is something like that :confused: ). In case you didn't guess, I'm looking for rommates too, but coming from CA it's going to be hard to do....the housing website for SLU is supposed to be pretty informative, and I'm perusing craigslist to see what's out there. How many people are you looking to live with?

Hi everyone! Waiting on one more interview, but it looks like I'll be joining you guys at SLU! I really liked the school when I went there...looking forward to meeting you all!

so you are saying there are properties on the website that are bad recommendations for places to live due to them being in dangerous areas??? I understand you have had experience, but others I've talked to who live there or lived there like you have seriously played it down.

Don't get all worked up....I'm trying to help. I lived in St. Louis for 8 years, so I know the city well. Honestly, if the people you talked to were from SLU, and trying to sell you the school and city, of course they're going to play it down. Anyway, the "I understand you have had experience, but" line makes me not really want to help you that bad......

I went to SLU for college and med school, and I'm extremely happy with my medical education, but I just want you to be prepared for what type of city it is, and prevent you from making a mistake.

There is no truly safe area within the city limits. It is a very sectionalized city, and it's hard to get more than a half mile or so from a bad area. The other option is to move out west, but that will make your commute miserable, especially with highway construction.

Like I said before, I was happy at West End Terrace for 2 years. I then spent 2 years living in the Phi Chi Medical Fraternity house 5 blocks from the school, and was happy there. There's nothing wrong with the places you've mentioned, but you really shouldn't take the city's danger too lightly.

Bad areas are really bad. Almost all of my friends have had their cars broken into, regardless of where they parked them. Many of my friends, especially those from college, have been mugged. My wife (then girlfriend) has been mugged at gunpoint once and punched in the face and robbed another time. You have to take the city seriously, always be smart and aware of your surroundings, don't go certain places at night, etc.

Let me help you get started: Buy a club, lock it on your steering wheel every time you get out of your car, regardless of where or time of day, and never leave anything in your car. People will smash your window for the change in your ash tray.

I'm not getting worked up man. I was honestly just curious and wanted more info. I appreciate your help. You read me wrong. Sorry if my post came off like I was annoyed or something. I have friends who have gone to SLU and have no reason to sell me the area just like you do. The obviously just have a different impression of the area than you do. Please don't be discouraged from posting your experiences. I wouldn't want that...

Don't get all worked up....I'm trying to help. I lived in St. Louis for 8 years, so I know the city well. Honestly, if the people you talked to were from SLU, and trying to sell you the school and city, of course they're going to play it down. Anyway, the "I understand you have had experience, but" line makes me not really want to help you that bad......

I went to SLU for college and med school, and I'm extremely happy with my medical education, but I just want you to be prepared for what type of city it is, and prevent you from making a mistake.

There is no truly safe area within the city limits. It is a very sectionalized city, and it's hard to get more than a half mile or so from a bad area. The other option is to move out west, but that will make your commute miserable, especially with highway construction.

Like I said before, I was happy at West End Terrace for 2 years. I then spent 2 years living in the Phi Chi Medical Fraternity house 5 blocks from the school, and was happy there. There's nothing wrong with the places you've mentioned, but you really shouldn't take the city's danger too lightly.

Bad areas are really bad. Almost all of my friends have had their cars broken into, regardless of where they parked them. Many of my friends, especially those from college, have been mugged. My wife (then girlfriend) has been mugged at gunpoint once and punched in the face and robbed another time. You have to take the city seriously, always be smart and aware of your surroundings, don't go certain places at night, etc.

Let me help you get started: Buy a club, lock it on your steering wheel every time you get out of your car, regardless of where or time of day, and never leave anything in your car. People will smash your window for the change in your ash tray.

You are scaring me!

I agree with you completely, but I'd like to make an additional comment and ask some questions. I have 3 friends who went to SLU and I've lived near the city most of my life. I think there are a lot of precautions you can take to make yourself safe. How did your friends/wife get mugged? What did you do to prevent yourself from being mugged? Where they walking after dark? What could we take from those situations to make ourselves safer? Is it ideal to drive a car that maybe less attractive to a car thief, or does it even matter?

I agree with you completely, but I'd like to make an additional comment and ask some questions. I have 3 friends who went to SLU and I've lived near the city most of my life. I think there are a lot of precautions you can take to make yourself safe. How did your friends/wife get mugged? What did you do to prevent yourself from being mugged? Where they walking after dark? What could we take from those situations to make ourselves safer? Is it ideal to drive a car that maybe less attractive to a car thief, or does it even matter?

In undergrad, it was easier to stay out of trouble if you stayed on campus, as this was mostly safe.

My friends and wife got mugged when they let their guard down (e.g. walking through dark parking lot at night, being in wrong neighborhood, etc), and some just had bad luck and did nothing wrong.

I didn't get mugged because 1. I'm lucky, 2. I kept my guard up, 3. I'm a bigger guy (3 much less important than 1 and 2).

As far as cars go, they don't get stolen as often as they get broken into. The most important things to do are to always keep a club on (regardless of where or time of day), and never leave anything of value in your car. Also, apparently in the school of hard knocks, the first thing they teach you is how to break the lock on a Pontiac Grand Am (my roommate had his grand am broken into more than 20 times in 4 years, so he just started leaving the door open and window down to save money), so don't drive one of those. I think a screwdriver under the outside handle pops the lock or something.

Overall, St. Louis can be a very fun city. I also think that SLU is a great medical education, and it set me up to do well on boards, the match, etc. You just need to keep your guard up and be smart about things. I would definitely not get an apt or house without first physically seeing the area and asking a St. Louis native about it.

St. Louis is the most dangerous city in America (according to cnn.com, take that, Detroit). The med school isn't in the worst part, but it's adjacent to some hellish areas, so just be safe. I'll check back on this thread later in case there are more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)

In undergrad, it was easier to stay out of trouble if you stayed on campus, as this was mostly safe.

My friends and wife got mugged when they let their guard down (e.g. walking through dark parking lot at night, being in wrong neighborhood, etc), and some just had bad luck and did nothing wrong.

I didn't get mugged because 1. I'm lucky, 2. I kept my guard up, 3. I'm a bigger guy (3 much less important than 1 and 2).

As far as cars go, they don't get stolen as often as they get broken into. The most important things to do are to always keep a club on (regardless of where or time of day), and never leave anything of value in your car. Also, apparently in the school of hard knocks, the first thing they teach you is how to break the lock on a Pontiac Grand Am (my roommate had his grand am broken into more than 20 times in 4 years, so he just started leaving the door open and window down to save money), so don't drive one of those. I think a screwdriver under the outside handle pops the lock or something.

Overall, St. Louis can be a very fun city. I also think that SLU is a great medical education, and it set me up to do well on boards, the match, etc. You just need to keep your guard up and be smart about things. I would definitely not get an apt or house without first physically seeing the area and asking a St. Louis native about it.

St. Louis is the most dangerous city in America (according to cnn.com, take that, Detroit). The med school isn't in the worst part, but it's adjacent to some hellish areas, so just be safe. I'll check back on this thread later in case there are more questions.

Yeah i'm a very small, weak, defenseless type of girl, and you've totally freaked me out.. :scared: Other than not walking alone in the dark, using a club, and gated parking.. I'm more afraid of some type of assault and getting mugged than getting my car broken into.. and i guess taking my new LV purse is out of the question? :( (it's my fav birthday gift)

Any advice on areas to avoid? i.e. if you came to LA i would tell u it's probably not advisable to be walking around in compton or inglewood, dressed in all red or blue... (no offense to anyone or their affiliations :D )

Yeah, I'm definately not taking my new LV purse ;)

I've lived in STL for the last 15 years and he has ME freaked out. I went to undergrad there. I currently work at the med center part-time. I haven't had any problems. Ever. Not to say they don't exist, and I sure as hell wouldn't live within walking distance of the med school. I've had more problems at my office by the other med center. Stolen credit card, stolen sticker off my license plates- nothing violent.

There are plenty of safe places to live within a 10-15 minute drive from campus. Georgetown's nice.. I have friends who have lived there. Don't know Park Forest.

(oh, and I've had no problems with anyone bothering my Kenneth Cole purse btw. ;) )

I've lived in STL for the last 15 years and he has ME freaked out. I went to undergrad there. I currently work at the med center part-time. I haven't had any problems. Ever. Not to say they don't exist, and I sure as hell wouldn't live within walking distance of the med school. I've had more problems at my office by the other med center. Stolen credit card, stolen sticker off my license plates- nothing violent.

There are plenty of safe places to live within a 10-15 minute drive from campus. Georgetown's nice.. I have friends who have lived there. Don't know Park Forest.

(oh, and I've had no problems with anyone bothering my Kenneth Cole purse btw. ;) )

Thanks for chiming in. Park Forest is in the same general area as Georgetown. What are you predictions on how badly the construction will affect the commute to the med school from that area? If you have any idea that is...

Thanks for chiming in. Park Forest is in the same general area as Georgetown. What are you predictions on how badly the construction will affect the commute to the med school from that area? If you have any idea that is...
Both of them are going to give you pretty easy access to 44, which is going to be a much better route to take in. Of course, 44 will start getting more congested the more people start avoiding 40..

I think the construction will cause huge headaches, without a doubt. But my understanding is that when Boston did The Big Dig, it caused problems. They're a much larger city and they lived through it, so I imagine we will, too. It'd be nice to see this as an incentive to carpool or increase MetroLink ridership. Or- god forbid- the bus system. And I think it'll be bad at first and then we'll get more used to it- knowing how much extra time to give ourselves on a "normal" day.

Perhaps I can be so optimistic because 1) I live off of 44, not 40 and 2) if I get into the class of '12, it may very well be out of the area and I won't have to deal with it anymore. :smuggrin:

Edit: Did I mention that around here we call I-64/US Hwy 40 "40" as it goes through STL? Yeah... sorry for any confusion... :oops:

Just withdrew. Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear back

Yay! I got accepted in the beginning of November, and I think I'm 99% sure I'm going to go to SLU :). I am in town this week for my spring break, so I might go look at apartments this week. I am definitly interested in having a roommate, but I guess we'll all figure that out on the housing boards.

Yeah i'm a very small, weak, defenseless type of girl, and you've totally freaked me out.. :scared: Other than not walking alone in the dark, using a club, and gated parking.. I'm more afraid of some type of assault and getting mugged than getting my car broken into.. and i guess taking my new LV purse is out of the question? :( (it's my fav birthday gift)

Any advice on areas to avoid? i.e. if you came to LA i would tell u it's probably not advisable to be walking around in compton or inglewood, dressed in all red or blue... (no offense to anyone or their affiliations :D )

Hey, all this talk about St. Louis being dangerous....

There's some things to understand here. If you've lived in any large city - probably even small cities - you know that you need to be smart about your surroundings - especially at night. I grew up in New Orleans - the former murder capital of the US (not that it's anything to brag about). You learn that you shouldn't be stupid.

Please don't let all this dangerous talk freak you out. I'm probably as small (actually, probably smaller) than you. I don't go to campus at night if I can help it. If I can't, there's security available, I let people know where I'm going to be, and I keep in close contact with them on my cell phone. I know SLUser means well to give warnings - and he's right to give them, but an internet forum is a place where things can become grossly exaggerated.

St. Louis has dangerous spots just like any other city. Avoid them. It won't be too hard to figure out where they are. If you want to find a good place to live, rely on the student housing forums on the SLU website. Or rely on current/former SLU students. Or rely on just going for a visit to the city.

As for the commuting issues - just avoid living anywhere that you'll be forced to use 64/40. There are other highways to get to SLU. Yes, they're going to be a bit more crowded, but it's unavoidable. It won't be impossible though (like 64/40 will be).

Respectfully yours,
Chanjurban

Hi y'all. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be heading to SLU this fall too, so just wanted to say hi to everyone. Also, I really don't want to be commuting to school, so are there places you can rent where you can just walk to school or take public transit? :)

Yes, it seems everybody is talking about driving to school, is public transportation not popular at all, I've ridden train all throughout undergrad and like it. What kind of Pub.Trans. are there, what are the costs, do they offer student plans?

One area that I might recommend is that of St. Louis Hills. It is in southwest St. Louis city, close to the intersection of Hampton and Chippewa, in the area around Francis park (Google map it, it's not difficult to find). I think the SLU housing websites are helpful, but this area doesn't get mentioned much because the apts in this area are smaller, privately owned buildings that aren't advertised much past rent signs in the yard. I'm not from StL, and I was lucky to find this area just by driving around when I was looking for a place. The apartments are smaller, mostly 1 bedrooms, and most of the buildings are older, so some don't have central air (some do, but some just have window units) and might have some various problems with older pipes or things such as that, but I have not had major problems. They are also fairly cheap...500-550. Anyway, I love the area, and the commute is about 10-15 minutes...Hampton to 44 to Grand. I think the places that have been mentioned are fine to live in...I have friends who live in Georgetown and Park Forest, and haven't heard of problems, but I just wanted to offer another alternative. I know moving to a new, unfamiliar city can be stressful, and finding a nice place to live can be difficult if you don't know the right places to look.

Hope this helps.

One area that I might recommend is that of St. Louis Hills. It is in southwest St. Louis city, close to the intersection of Hampton and Chippewa, in the area around Francis park (Google map it, it's not difficult to find). I think the SLU housing websites are helpful, but this area doesn't get mentioned much because the apts in this area are smaller, privately owned buildings that aren't advertised much past rent signs in the yard. I'm not from StL, and I was lucky to find this area just by driving around when I was looking for a place. The apartments are smaller, mostly 1 bedrooms, and most of the buildings are older, so some don't have central air (some do, but some just have window units) and might have some various problems with older pipes or things such as that, but I have not had major problems. They are also fairly cheap...500-550. Anyway, I love the area, and the commute is about 10-15 minutes...Hampton to 44 to Grand. I think the places that have been mentioned are fine to live in...I have friends who live in Georgetown and Park Forest, and haven't heard of problems, but I just wanted to offer another alternative. I know moving to a new, unfamiliar city can be stressful, and finding a nice place to live can be difficult if you don't know the right places to look.

Hope this helps.
I second third and fourth this recommendation. I lived down there for 4 years before buying my house in the 'burbs, and it's a fantastic location. PLUS- easy to avoid the highways and get to the med center the back way.

I had a 1-BR in a 4-family flat. Street parking (very safe area), newly-redone hardwood floors, new appliances in the kitchen, and central air all for the bargain price of.. $425/month (but that was a while back, so the 500-550 sounds about right now). There are more 2-BRs closer to Kingshighway rather than Hampton. To find an apartment, you take a Saturday, drive around the neighborhood, and call the phone numbers on the For Rent signs to set a time to get a tour. OR, some may be on Craigslist now.. haven't looked. Some may include a garage parking space in the back alley, but you have to be good at parallel parking (or be willing to learn how).

According to my best friend, a lifelong St. Louisan, due to the SLPD and SLFD having city residency requirements, St. Louis Hills is particularly safe because that's where a huge number of cops and firefighters live.

Hey, all this talk about St. Louis being dangerous....

There's some things to understand here. If you've lived in any large city - probably even small cities - you know that you need to be smart about your surroundings - especially at night.

St. Louis has dangerous spots just like any other city. Avoid them. It won't be too hard to figure out where they are.

Respectfully yours,
Chanjurban

Well, my main reason for chiming in was that somebody was saying that St. Louis is not that dangerous, and seemed to be taking it lightly. I painted a dark picture to prevent people from doing this, and accidentally signing a year long contract to live in a bad area.

Most people who came to SLU for med school were from cities equal in size or bigger to St. Louis, and still made rookie mistakes that ended up with them being victims. I'm sorry, but it's not just like any other city. It's more dangerous, and people need to be careful. There's a reason it was voted most dangerous city in America, no internet exaggeration necessary.

I'm sorry if I am freaking people out, but I'm trying to get an important point across.

I can give a thousand more examples of crimes happening in supposed nice areas if you guys want to hear them, but I think it's best if you just take my advice.

Well, my main reason for chiming in was that somebody was saying that St. Louis is not that dangerous, and seemed to be taking it lightly. I painted a dark picture to prevent people from doing this, and accidentally signing a year long contract to live in a bad area.

Most people who came to SLU for med school were from cities equal in size or bigger to St. Louis, and still made rookie mistakes that ended up with them being victims. I'm sorry, but it's not just like any other city. It's more dangerous, and people need to be careful. There's a reason it was voted most dangerous city in America, no internet exaggeration necessary.

I'm sorry if I am freaking people out, but I'm trying to get an important point across.

I can give a thousand more examples of crimes happening in supposed nice areas if you guys want to hear them, but I think it's best if you just take my advice.

Once again. Everyone appreciates you chiming in. You viewpoint is very important as obviously St. Louis has dangers and maybe more dangers than I personally was told by others. I was not speaking from experience so I shouldn't have been so sure that those who told me the dangers of St. Louis were hyped up. Maybe my friends just have happened to have different experiences than you did and therefore have a different impression of the city, especially around the campus. My post was wrong if it implied no mind should be payed towards being cautious about the city. Cheers.

Hi y'all. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be heading to SLU this fall too, so just wanted to say hi to everyone. Also, I really don't want to be commuting to school, so are there places you can rent where you can just walk to school or take public transit? :)

Hey MoonDoggie,

I posted this earlier but you may have missed it. I found a M4 who has a house that is a half mile walk from school. Email me at [email protected] if you want more info. Rent will be around 450-500, its 4bdrom, 2.5 bath, washer and dryer in the basement.

Hey MoonDoggie,

I posted this earlier but you may have missed it. I found a M4 who has a house that is a half mile walk from school. Email me at [email protected] if you want more info. Rent will be around 450-500, its 4bdrom, 2.5 bath, washer and dryer in the basement.

Case in point. If this is the same guy I think it is, he bought his house with verbal agreements from three of his classmates that they were moving in. They then later realized it was in a really bad area, and decided not to live there, screwing the guy over, and leaving him with a big mortgage and no roomies.

That is what happens when you don't scout out your prospective living area well.

And to MSundi, you're right, and I'll stop acting all unappreciated. Search my old posts, and you'll see I have an uncontrollable urge to argue and start s#@t, which was unprovoked in your case. My bad.

Case in point. If this is the same guy I think it is, he bought his house with verbal agreements from three of his classmates that they were moving in. They then later realized it was in a really bad area, and decided not to live there, screwing the guy over, and leaving him with a big mortgage and no roomies.

That is what happens when you don't scout out your prospective living area well.

And to MSundi, you're right, and I'll stop acting all unappreciated. Search my old posts, and you'll see I have an uncontrollable urge to argue and start s#@t, which was unprovoked in your case. My bad.

:cool: We cooooooool

Haha. I thought that arguing was the point of forums.:laugh:

Haha. I thought that arguing was the point of forums.:laugh:

Of course not. The point of these forums are to post MCAT scores and see what your chances are :D

Anyone down for pretending to be a Wash U. student for a weekend? I was perusing their class thread (looking for info about living in St. Louis) and they're having a second look weekend with a Cards game, Brewery tour, Zoo visit, and ice cream social. Who's up for a Cards game before our orientation in August :D ?

Also, people over there seem to think that the central west end is an okay place to live (closer to Wash U. than SLU, but safer). Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Anyone down for pretending to be a Wash U. student for a weekend? I was perusing their class thread (looking for info about living in St. Louis) and they're having a second look weekend with a Cards game, Brewery tour, Zoo visit, and ice cream social. Who's up for a Cards game before our orientation in August :D ?

Also, people over there seem to think that the central west end is an okay place to live (closer to Wash U. than SLU, but safer). Just thought I'd throw that out there.

What???? I thought we were all going to Wash U, there are two schools??? Ah man this blows! ;)

What???? I thought we were all going to Wash U, there are two schools??? Ah man this blows! ;)

Uh oh, not trying to create Wash U. envy here (just second look weekend envy :p ). Sorry for the rude awakening, but welcome to the spritually advanced Saint Louis Medical School :thumbup:

Are lectures posted online in mp3 format? Is there always a transcription service or is it up to the class to organize it?

I am gung-ho SLU for next Aug.; these are just a couple of things that have slipped my mind for some reason.

HI everyone! I too am accepted at SLU, and will most likely be attending. Can't wait to meet everyone! Oh and carn311- I went to SUNY Albany too :D

Jeez, reading this thread is making me all stressed about finding living accommodations. It really is too bad that there isn't any organized second look weekend, but I'm looking to head out there sometime in April or May to scope out the area myself (and hopefully not get mugged, which seemingly occurs everyday according to this thread :) ).

My first post on the allopathic forum, yet another rite-of-passage for me.

HI everyone! I too am accepted at SLU, and will most likely be attending. Can't wait to meet everyone! Oh and carn311- I went to SUNY Albany too :D

Wow, small world! Hope to see you this fall.:thumbup:

ANyone living in St. Louis know any good apartment complexes or neighborhoods for married students with children? Thanks!

Well, I just got a call from West End Terrace and that is where I'll be calling home next year. The staff there seems really nice.

Hey guys,

MSII here. I lived in Park Forest Apartments, and am familiar with a lot of the places my classmates live in. Feel free to PM me with specific questions about housing or SLU in general. Don't freak out! Saint Louis is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (unless you are a *****, then beware!) and it is relatively easy to find nice, cheap, safe housing.

Hey guys,

MSII here. I lived in Park Forest Apartments, and am familiar with a lot of the places my classmates live in. Feel free to PM me with specific questions about housing or SLU in general. Don't freak out! Saint Louis is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (unless you are a *****, then beware!) and it is relatively easy to find nice, cheap, safe housing.

I'm screwed :eek:

Hey all, i FINALLY booked a trip to SLU 4/23-4/25 and was planning to look at the school (i'll be touring with interviewees!) and also scoping out some places to live.. Im going to look at the 5 popular buildings listed on the student affairs housing page as well as St. Louis Hills, any other recommendations? This may sound like a stupid question but what's the difference b/w central air and indiv units (maybe i can excuse some of my ignorance by saying im not used to weather)? Finally, I'm thinking about having a roommate, since i don't want to be lonely ;) and was wondering if i should find a roommate first or whether or not i should sign a lease while im in STL? Finally, when will those of you living further away from St. Louis be moving to the area? Thanks :p

This may sound like a stupid question but what's the difference b/w central air and indiv units (maybe i can excuse some of my ignorance by saying im not used to weather)?

Central air means that air conditioning is carried by air ducts and pumped into each room in the house. This type is usually easily noticeable by the presence of heat/air vents in either the ceilings or the floors. An individual a/c unit is one that is installed in a window and vents directly to outside. Central heat and air is usually preferred because it is more efficient.

Hey all, i FINALLY booked a trip to SLU 4/23-4/25 and was planning to look at the school (i'll be touring with interviewees!) and also scoping out some places to live.. Im going to look at the 5 popular buildings listed on the student affairs housing page as well as St. Louis Hills, any other recommendations? This may sound like a stupid question but what's the difference b/w central air and indiv units (maybe i can excuse some of my ignorance by saying im not used to weather)? Finally, I'm thinking about having a roommate, since i don't want to be lonely ;) and was wondering if i should find a roommate first or whether or not i should sign a lease while im in STL? Finally, when will those of you living further away from St. Louis be moving to the area? Thanks :p

I think all the apts that people have been listing are fine. I'll be moving in around mid-June... somewhere in STL. BTW, I think there are plenty of places you'll feel safe in.

Hmm...I think I'll probably be moving in sometime late July. No idea where yet. :| I'm also from So Cal., Anjlprincezz. :p

I might take you up on your offer, andiluvsk, about housing information and whatnot. Expect a pm sometime in the future. :)

Has anyone received any info on when the school yr starts or all the forms such as immunizations etc. that we have to fill out?

Hi Everyone -
I'm pretty sure I'll be attending SLU in the fall!
I actually contacted the admissions office last week about acceptance packages and they will be mailed out in early June.