SLU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quick question for you guys... I've been invited to an interview. Would you guys think it would be worthwhile to check it out considering I have an in-state school acceptance? I don't mind the location, obviously... I'm a catholic high school grad, and a moderate Catholic. Does this matter? What does the make-up of the school look like? A lot of cali people? a lot of in-staters? what do you think the student body is like? Am I interviewing for a waitlist at this point? (I got invited a couple weeks ago, I'm just not sure if I should spend the money on the trip) Any suggestions would be great... also what kind of hospital affiliations does the school have? How is financial aid?

Congrats to all that got in :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, i wasn't posting the match lists for you specifically. it is quite good though.

haha, i wasn't posting the match lists for you specifically. it is quite good though.

really? I thought that was your big seeling point ;)

quick question for you guys... I've been invited to an interview. Would you guys think it would be worthwhile to check it out considering I have an in-state school acceptance? I don't mind the location, obviously... I'm a catholic high school grad, and a moderate Catholic. Does this matter? What does the make-up of the school look like? A lot of cali people? a lot of in-staters? what do you think the student body is like? Am I interviewing for a waitlist at this point? (I got invited a couple weeks ago, I'm just not sure if I should spend the money on the trip) Any suggestions would be great... also what kind of hospital affiliations does the school have? How is financial aid?

Congrats to all that got in :)

I think that if you have only interviewed at one school it would be in your best interest to go. At the time I was really excited about the first school that I interviewed at but later found that I liked it the least of the 5 schools that I went to...Its totally up to you though especially since SLU is very expensive.

Here are the answers to your questions:
-From what I've seen, class seems pretty diverse.

-Obviously like most private schools there are many people from cali.

-I have no idea about interviewing for waitlist spots but there has been a lot of waitlist movement in the past.

-School is affiliated with hospitals around the area...WashU, Loyola, etc. (I think also some in cali.)

-FA is only need based. NO merit based. You must include parental information.

I think that if you have only interviewed at one school it would be in your best interest to go. At the time I was really excited about the first school that I interviewed at but later found that I liked it the least of the 5 schools that I went to...Its totally up to you though especially since SLU is very expensive.

Here are the answers to your questions:
-From what I've seen, class seems pretty diverse.

-Obviously like most private schools there are many people from cali.

-I have no idea about interviewing for waitlist spots but there has been a lot of waitlist movement in the past.

-School is affiliated with hospitals around the area...WashU, Loyola, etc. (I think also some in cali.)

-FA is only need based. NO merit based. You must include parental information.

are you going to SLU next year?

are you going to SLU next year?

Very good chance since I liked it the best. But still waiting on financial aid and my state school...which does not release decisions until mid april.

Very good chance since I liked it the best. But still waiting on financial aid and my state school...which does not release decisions until mid april.

wow... SLU over state school tuition? What did you like about SLU so much?

I liked the lovely neighborhood around the campus ;)

I'm going there over my state school. I'd go and check it out.

I finished at BYU 12/2005. Where did you all go? Has anyone received an info packet from SLU? All i have received is an email or two!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't recieved a pack yet. I graduated from Wartburg College (Waverly, IA) last May.

I will graduate from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in May but am originally from Idaho! I haven't received much either.

I'll be graduating from the University of Missouri-Columbia in exactly 51 days... :D

Oh, yeah, and no packets from SLU since my 12/21 acceptance. FinAid e-mails only.

Graduating from Loyola Univ. Chicago this may, no haven't received anything except for financial aid email

Is anyone considering buying a place when they move to St. Louis?

I haven't really thought of buying a place, but it might be beneficial. I don't know the market very well there. ANyone else married, or have kids? I need a 3 bed apt or a house.

Is anyone considering buying a place when they move to St. Louis?

My wife and I own a home where we live now and enjoy it, but we ruled out that option for when we move to STL for two main reasons. The first reason is that the cost benefits of owning a home are often minimal, nonexistent, or negative if you only own the property for four years. The second reason is the cost and time for maintenance, repairs, yardwork, etc. are more than we want while I'm in medical school. So, we decided to rent and have already found a place. We will be living in the Georgetown apartment complex. I encourage everyone to check it out. It's quite nice.

My wife and I own a home where we live now and enjoy it, but we ruled out that option for when we move to STL for two main reasons. The first reason is that the cost benefits of owning a home are often minimal, nonexistent, or negative if you only own the property for four years. The second reason is the cost and time for maintenance, repairs, yardwork, etc. are more than we want while I'm in medical school. So, we decided to rent and have already found a place. We will be living in the Georgetown apartment complex. I encourage everyone to check it out. It's quite nice.

I'm heading down to the area this monday and that is one of the properties I'll be checking out. That housing website is pretty helpful

Hey, since SLU is my only acceptance so far, I guess I'd say right now I'm 100% going there :p and I just wanted to say what's up to my potential future classmates.

Anyway, to anyone going to check out housing in ST. Louis soon, I'd really appreciate some feedback on this thread. Also, it looks like a lot of people are looking for singles....anyone thinking of moving in with some non-med students (grad/law/etc) for an occasional dose of reality outside of med school? That was my thought process, mostly b/c I'm not too into living alone. Anyway, congrats to all and see you in August :D

glad to say that I can finally, in good conciensce post on the allo boards! I got my acceptance yesterday, about 4 weeks after my interview. Man, I was hopping around and yelling at work, turned a few heads I can tell you. :D

Just for clarity's sake.... This is last year's matchlist. This year's hasn't been posted online yet (As far as I know), but it should be soon.

I've been told that a lot of badasses went into surgery that year......

How are you guys going about finding a roommate?

How are you guys going about finding a roommate?

I might live with my brother, however, I haven't really been down to look at apts. For all of you that have checked into it, is it a better bet to get an apt with 3 or even 4 roommates?

i heard they are gonna put up a message board for us to find our roommates... ;)

they have a forum open already. if you are impatient and want the key without waiting for them to e-mail it to you...PM me. I'm actually in St. Louis right now and just checked out some of the recommended properties. Right now it looks like either Park Forest, Georgetown Apts, and West End Terrace in that order. My top two involve more of a commute relative to the West End Terrace. The ammenities in all of them are very nice. They all have fitness rooms, nice kitchens, and parking doesn't seem to be a chore.

Oy vey! Nice to see people excited about SLU med! I'm a first year student here and I couldn't be happier that I came here. Although it's expensive and the first year curriculum definitely needs some fine tuning, I feel like I'm getting a solid medical education. It's easy to enjoy learning at SLU (except for the week before an exam). I don't know if it's medical school in general or SLU med, but the faculty and staff here really take to heart what students have to say. The Dr. S's are real advocates for the students. Students get along well and the weather is nice in the spring and fall. Come here if you can!

You know...in some way, I'm actually dreading getting my financial aid package. I have this feeling it's not going to be a pleasant day when I see that in my mailbox. Also...when are people planning on moving to StL...I have a FT job right now, and I haven't quit yet...but I'm itching to turn in that two weeks, move home, chill out, read, and get to StL.

I am planning on moving in early July. I can't wait to quit my job as well. Blah blah.

I am planning on moving in early July. I can't wait to quit my job either. Blah Blah.:laugh:

dont have a match list yet but here is what i know just from talking to people, it sounds pretty impressive so far.

6 urology 1 at loyola dont know where the others are going
1 rad-onc at wash u
several radiology and anesth
at least 5 ortho
2 derm 1 at slu and the other ??
several G surg. 1 at mayo clinic rochester, 1 at wash u, 1 u of kentucky
1 vascular surgery 5 yr program at pitt
1 Emergency at UCSD,1 at HOPKINS!!
Lots of PEDs
the people i spoke with that matched internal med are going to stanford, wash u, vanderbilt...
integrated plastics.. ??
lots of cali people matched back in cali which was a goal for a lot of students here.

I will post the match list when it becomes available.

Question for current students or other informed individuals--I know that emergency medicine is not a core clerkship at SLU and I also noticed that SLU doesn't have an EM residency program, is it possible to do EM at least as an elective clerkship or does SLU Hospital's ED have nothing to do with med.education?

Question for current students or other informed individuals--I know that emergency medicine is not a core clerkship at SLU and I also noticed that SLU doesn't have an EM residency program, is it possible to do EM at least as an elective clerkship or does SLU Hospital's ED have nothing to do with med.education?

Yes, emergency medicine can be done as a three week elective during the fourth year (all of our fourth year electives have been changed from four weeks to three weeks). It can also be done as an elective in the third year if you are able to delay one of your core clerkships until the fourth year, but don't worry about that quite yet.

I have also heard some rumors that SLU is attempting to get an EM residency established, but I don't know the status of that.

Hope this helps.

Some students said they would have an EM program by the time we were through. I talked to four students and by chance all of them were looking at EM. It is very popular there, maybe due to the location of the school and the access to lots of experience with trauma at the school's hospital. Our tour guide really emphasized this as a selling point.

How are y'all planning on moving? U-haul? container? full-service moving company? I'm exploring the options right now, and was wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences. IT's not looking like it's going to be cheap to come from the west coast any way you slice it.

How are y'all planning on moving? U-haul? container? full-service moving company? I'm exploring the options right now, and was wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences. IT's not looking like it's going to be cheap to come from the west coast any way you slice it.

I will personly be doing it via Uhaul. But it may be economical for you to use PODs. The company drops off a storage container at your current address and then ships it to your new address. Very convenient if you dont have a car, you could just fly to SLU.

My wife and I have been contemplating the container thing, but it seems that your stuff would be bounced around quite a bit once the container's on a flatbed truck. At least with Uhaul you can control the abuse to some extent. I am not relishing towing my car from Oregon to missouri in the middle of the summer.

they have a forum open already. if you are impatient and want the key without waiting for them to e-mail it to you...PM me. I'm actually in St. Louis right now and just checked out some of the recommended properties. Right now it looks like either Park Forest, Georgetown Apts, and West End Terrace in that order. My top two involve more of a commute relative to the West End Terrace. The ammenities in all of them are very nice. They all have fitness rooms, nice kitchens, and parking doesn't seem to be a chore.

You really liked Park Forest better than Georgetown? What did you like better about it, if you don't mind me asking?

I like them both about the same. I'll go to whichever calls me first with an apartment available. I just like the surroundings of Park Forest a little more and the fitness center was more to my liking as well.

I like them both about the same. I'll go to whichever calls me first with an apartment available. I just like the surroundings of Park Forest a little more and the fitness center was more to my liking as well.

I didn't look at the fitness center. Maybe I should have. Oh well. All the trees surrounding Park Forest are pretty cool.

yeah, the prices are similar and both are pretty much cool in my book...just a gut feeling I guess. It was also the last place I looked in the day, so that could make a difference.

Hey guys, im gonna be going to SLU this fall as well. I talked to a graduating M4 who has a house that will have I believe will need to fill 3-4 roommates. It is 0.5 mile away from campus and the 400 dollar rent covers everything except gas and electric. He said the electric usually costs each roommate about 38 bucks, but fluctuatues depending on the season. If anyone else is interested email me at [email protected]

Does anybody have a copy of SLU's '07 matchlist? or know when it will be posted?

Does anybody have a copy of SLU's '07 matchlist? or know when it will be posted?
The matchlist hasn't been added to the SLU website yet, but it's on display at the med school if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Does anyone know is SLU has a student health plan? OR do we need to be looking for private health insurance. I have a wife and a kid, so any info would help.

Does anyone know is SLU has a student health plan? OR do we need to be looking for private health insurance. I have a wife and a kid, so any info would help.

My understanding is that SLU offers health insurance. But I'm waiting to find out what the rates are before I decide between their policy or private.