SLU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a few climbing facilities....I remember a couple guys from my class were really into it. I think that they're out west in the county a little bit....

No, definitely not, but there needs to be another out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I apparently don't post this often enough - I'm not exactly the best person for advice about where to live... However, that being said...we have quite a few students living in the Tower Grove area. They've been prettying up the area and it looks better than it did about 2 yrs ago. However, I "think" it may not be considered as safe as some places a little further west (Shrewsbury seems popular for example). Sorry I can't help more.

I lived in Tower Grove East for a year. It was really great, but I wouldn't live there alone... I lived with my BF in a house. GREAT park, GREAT restaraunts and bars. Most diverse area of St. Louis... lots of gays and different cultures. The area is 90% 20-40 year olds so it's quite fun and accepting.

If anyone has any questions about the city, hotspots, whatever, I wrote a really long post in either and old SLU or Wash U forum about all of the neighborhoods in the city... Hopefully it won't be too hard to find, or you can PM me. I've lived there five years as an undergrad with lots of time to explore and have lived in a bunch of the areas...

Hey future classmates,

does anyone who chose the SLU/Wachovia lender option for Staffords care to elaborate on why it's better than T.H.E. or MedLoans? I'm kind of deciding between the three right now and going around in circles trying to figure out which one I should choose. Thanks for your help!:D

I'm not too sure about medloans (although I have heard some bad reports of terrible customer service once in repayment), but the main difference between THE and Wachovia was discussed in an earlier post:

Originally Posted by Xotica

For people who are choosing Wachovia over T.H.E are you doing this because you anticipate consolidating your loans later at a lower interest rate? Ie. It does not matter that T.H.E has a lower long term interest rate and better benefits?

Basically, yes. Also for this reason:

THE: "...the 3% origination fee will be credited to your account after you enter repayment."

Wachovia: "A rebate equal to 3% of your loan amount 6 months after disbursement"

(quoted from their own websites)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asking specifically about Staffords. I believe that neither T.H.E. nor Wachovia charges origination fees for these loans. I suppose I should have been more specific. Talking just about Staffords for a moment, is there any reason why Wachovia would be better than T.H.E. or Medloans?

I was asking specifically about Staffords. I believe that neither T.H.E. nor Wachovia charges origination fees for these loans. I suppose I should have been more specific. Talking just about Staffords for a moment, is there any reason why Wachovia would be better than T.H.E. or Medloans?

Oops. My bad. Sorry, I just didn't read your post thoroughly. When it comes to stafford loans, I just made sure there was no origination fees. The rate discounts that are applied after the loans enter repayment didn't really make a difference to me, since I'll probably consolidate them all eventually anyway.

One thing that made me choose T.H.E. for my Staffords last year is the fact that though you accrue interest on the unsubsidized Stafford, they don't capitalize on the interest until you start repayment on the principal.

The gym downtown is awesome! And there is one gym, no "gyms." Come after 5 and you'll see all the regulars. It's called Upper Limits. I think the walls are 30+ or so, they have three auto-belays, lots of boldering and training areas, and two overhangs. 90% of the gym is roped for top roping, and 90% have bolts and quickdraws placed for leading (you don't need to bring your own quickdraws). There is an upstairs area for all the kiddie parties so they stay far, far away from the others.

Thanks for the reply, I'd given up hope of any other climbers being on here. I found the website for Upper Limits and it looks pretty good. Have you seen the gym at the undergrad gym? A few weeks ago I emailed someone from the rec center asking about it but am yet to receive a response.

I've hear great things about that new gym. I'm really excited to work out there because it is supposed to have a lot of great equipment. As long as they have squat racks, though, I'm happy.

Just wondering, in the immediate vicinity of the school, are there supermarkets and other places where you can buy groceries and other goods?

There is an Schnuks on Lindell and Sarah/Vandeventer which is about a mile west of the undergrad campus (<5min drive from medschool) and an Aldi 10min drive north on Grand. About 15-20mins west on Hwy 40 and I-170 is a Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Domincks, Galleria Mall, etc...basically everything.

heads up and check your mail all. i just got an info packet from SLU with orientation info.

Does anyone know what the daily class schedule is? I'm sure I heard at some point during my interview day but I've defintely forgotten. Is it morning lecture with a couple afternoons of small group or preceptorship, etc?

they have last years schedule on th website and i assume its similar if not identical.

Members don't see this ad :)
How's Everyone doing? I am a second year student and it looks like you SLU to be students are excited to get started. I'm excited for you guys and If anyone has any questions feel free to msg me.

Just wanted to start off by saying congrats to all those in the SLU class of 2011! Anyways, I am a male from California looking for a roommate. I have been searching the housing information on the SLU site but it seems most people have already found a place to live. I was also wondering where there are a lot of SLU med students living? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, and I'll see you all in August. Oh yea, if anyone is still looking for a roommate, I'll be in St. Louis in about 2 weeks if you want to look for a place.

I might just be totally missing something, but is everyone else able to access their SLU e-mail? Every time I try, whether directly through the webmail link on the homepage, or through Gateway, it says that it's unable to access the server. I don't show up on a people search, so I thought maybe they haven't enabled the addresses yet... But everyone else is showing up as SLU grad students on faceboook, so I figured I'd ask. :)

I've already done the Password Manager Portal business, so I assumed that my ID would be activated all the way around, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I can get into Banner Self-Service and the Gateway website, but no dice on the e-mail Anyone with the know-how to get this silly thing up and running, PM me please! :D

Looking so forward to meeting you all--and best of luck to those of you still seeking housing! :luck:

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

i experienced the same problems with email so i just emailed tech support and they fixed it all up. i thought i had set up my password for email, but it turns out setting up the password portal didn't affect my email settings. they fixed it in a few minutes after i sent the email.

Thanks a bundle, msundi83. Sounds very painless, and easy to accomplish. :)

anyone know what the dress code is for the white coat ceremony? should we be wearing suits?
For the girls - is it the whole light make-up, no polish interview look or can we jazz it up a bit?

anyone know what the dress code is for the white coat ceremony? should we be wearing suits?
For the girls - is it the whole light make-up, no polish interview look or can we jazz it up a bit?

Dress like you might expect to dress in a church....Because, quite literally, it's in a church. Jazzy's fine as long as it's tasteful. Suits (for women) are not necessary. Dresses are good. Guys, wear a tie.

Just wanted to start off by saying congrats to all those in the SLU class of 2011! Anyways, I am a male from California looking for a roommate. I have been searching the housing information on the SLU site but it seems most people have already found a place to live. I was also wondering where there are a lot of SLU med students living? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, and I'll see you all in August. Oh yea, if anyone is still looking for a roommate, I'll be in St. Louis in about 2 weeks if you want to look for a place.

I live in Park Forest Apartments and love it

Hey im applying for next year. who did the optional essay? I probably will do it but im just trying to see what most of you who got accepted did. Thanks

Didn't do an essay, got accepted

didn't do the optional letter either, got in

First of alll, congrats to all who will be attending SLU next month... :thumbup:

For those of us still without a home... has anyone on the waitlist been accepted in the last 30 days or so.??? As the days go by, I can feel my chances for this year slipping away.

Would someone **anyone** please give me a glimmer of hope and tell me a story about how they got the call a week (or a day) before orientation began. :confused:

First of alll, congrats to all who will be attending SLU next month... :thumbup:

For those of us still without a home... has anyone on the waitlist been accepted in the last 30 days or so.??? As the days go by, I can feel my chances for this year slipping away.

Would someone **anyone** please give me a glimmer of hope and tell me a story about how they got the call a week (or a day) before orientation began. :confused:

Hey I am from the class of 2010. Chances are slim, but not zero. One guy in our class got in a couple of days before the white coat ceremony. Another girl got in very late as well. Hope that gives you a little more hope!

Last I heard (yesterday - Aug 2), there were still 180 students for a class size of 175.