Other OT-Related Information SJSU 2017/2018 Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tamara will tell you what day they are reviewing but can't provide you with any other information!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I see it as there are so few spots left haha now I'm really sure they got through October apps already and are probably into November ones. Eek!
I just emailed Tamara and she said they are still looking at apps from late October so there's still hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my conditional acceptance into SJSU today!

Reactions: 1 users
My application was received on the 11th I believe so it looks like I was probably on the waitlist!

Hi Crew, friendly first year here. Congrats and applying to the program, you will love it! Just wanted to let you all know to NOT look at FB group membership to determine how many spots are left. Tamara added about 30+ 1st year and 2nd year students to answer your questions.

Best of luck to those waiting!

Hi Crew, friendly first year here. Congrats and applying to the program, you will love it! Just wanted to let you all know to NOT look at FB group membership to determine how many spots are left. Tamara added about 30+ 1st year and 2nd year students to answer your questions.

You are giving my mind and heart peace right now lol. From the FB member count earlier to hearing NJK17 getting accepted from an Oct 11th app, I was so confused where they were at with looking at applications. So, here's to keeping the hope alive! :)

You are giving my mind and heart peace right now lol. From the FB member count earlier to hearing NJK17 getting accepted from an Oct 11th app, I was so confused where they were at with looking at applications. So, here's to keeping the hope alive! :)

There's still around 40 people accepted forsure in the Facebook group tho. A big wave in February should come soon. Hoping for some good news for all of you still waiting!

Thank you!! Can you tell us a little about the program and how rigorous it is? Is it possible to work??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! Can you tell us a little about the program and how rigorous it is? Is it possible to work??
Sure! In semester one I would say that I spent an average of 1-2 hours/week just doing to reading assignments for each class (so about 5-10 hours/week outside of class spent reading). As you get acquainted with the program, you will learn what needs to be understood well and what you can get by with by just skimming the material. But then you get assignments on top of the reading throughout the semester and those take up a bit more time. The good (?) news is that most of the big assignments are group projects so the work can be divided between your group members. There are also papers due throughout, but nothing that is really that hardcore. Mostly reflections, so no real research assignments until Semester 2. Your cohort will be divided into 2 tracks. One track will take Kinesio and the other will do Level 1 Fieldwork. I had Kinesio last semester and that is the only "scantron test" type class I had. This course will require a bit more attention because you will need to memorize a lot of form and function. It is not unlike your anatomy prereq in that way, but we only really deal with everything above the waist (so no hips or legs). I think it is possible to work a day or two a week - many of my classmates do. But trust me when I say that you will need to be a rock star at time management because falling behind is not an option. If you do, you will just get railroaded with assignments and it doesn't quit. So stay on task and set aside plenty of time to get your stuff done and you will be just fine. Also (VERY IMPORTANT!) don't forget to also set aside time for self-care. You need to care for yourself and schedule in breaks - it's the only way to keep yourself invigorated for what you have to do. But I can honestly tell you that this program is fantastic and a lot of fun. There is a lot expected of you, but it is manageable. And the best part is, your instructors and classmates WANT you to succeed (unlike many other programs, this program completely stops being competitive after the application process, so that mindset can change immediately. We are all a team working toward the same goal!). You will do great! Please let me know if you have anymore questions - I remember being freshly admitted and having tons! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Sure! In semester one I would say that I spent an average of 1-2 hours/week just doing to reading assignments for each class (so about 5-10 hours/week outside of class spent reading). As you get acquainted with the program, you will learn what needs to be understood well and what you can get by with by just skimming the material. But then you get assignments on top of the reading throughout the semester and those take up a bit more time. The good (?) news is that most of the big assignments are group projects so the work can be divided between your group members. There are also papers due throughout, but nothing that is really that hardcore. Mostly reflections, so no real research assignments until Semester 2. Your cohort will be divided into 2 tracks. One track will take Kinesio and the other will do Level 1 Fieldwork. I had Kinesio last semester and that is the only "scantron test" type class I had. This course will require a bit more attention because you will need to memorize a lot of form and function. It is not unlike your anatomy prereq in that way, but we only really deal with everything above the waist (so no hips or legs). I think it is possible to work a day or two a week - many of my classmates do. But trust me when I say that you will need to be a rock star at time management because falling behind is not an option. If you do, you will just get railroaded with assignments and it doesn't quit. So stay on task and set aside plenty of time to get your stuff done and you will be just fine. Also (VERY IMPORTANT!) don't forget to also set aside time for self-care. You need to care for yourself and schedule in breaks - it's the only way to keep yourself invigorated for what you have to do. But I can honestly tell you that this program is fantastic and a lot of fun. There is a lot expected of you, but it is manageable. And the best part is, your instructors and classmates WANT you to succeed (unlike many other programs, this program completely stops being competitive after the application process, so that mindset can change immediately. We are all a team working toward the same goal!). You will do great! Please let me know if you have anymore questions - I remember being freshly admitted and having tons! :)
Thank you so much for the insight :)

When can we expect to hear back about financial aid? I know SJSU has in state tuition but I was wondering if people still got grants? Perhaps for low income students. Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for the insight :)

When can we expect to hear back about financial aid? I know SJSU has in state tuition but I was wondering if people still got grants? Perhaps for low income students. Thank you so much!

I wish I knew more about financial aid for you! I have been paying as I go and don’t deal with them at all (my husband makes too much money for me to qualify - good problem to have, I guess). I do know that there are several grants available, but they’re small (talking $500 small). What most students do is take out loans and budget well. The great news is that the tuition total is in the neighborhood of $30K (without books and all else), this is a DEAL compared to many other programs. I know it’s rough, but it’ll be worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
What's up everyone? Just seeing how everyone is doing and keeping the hope alive! I'm in that limbo stage where I haven't heard back about acceptances OR rejections (from almost any of the schools), so I'm just doing my best to plan for 2019 entry. Hopefully we hear of more acceptances from people on these forums!

What's up everyone? Just seeing how everyone is doing and keeping the hope alive! I'm in that limbo stage where I haven't heard back about acceptances OR rejections (from almost any of the schools), so I'm just doing my best to plan for 2019 entry. Hopefully we hear of more acceptances from people on these forums!
Haven’t heard back!!! :(

Haven’t heard back!!! :(

Me neither! But I also haven't heard back from Columbia, SUNY Downstate, or Pacific University lol. Those are the only other schools I applied to >_<

Hi Guys!

I received my acceptance 12/27 and was so shocked & thrilled when I read the email. I took the UCLA extension neuro class and paid $700 (I used a coupon code to get 10% off), definitely seems like one of the cheapest options out there. The class wasn't too difficult and I enjoyed the subject matter. FYI this was my second time applying to SJSU.

I haven't received an acceptance or rejection from SJSU MSOT yet but decided I wanted to take neuroanatomy anyway. So for those who haven't taken it yet, the registration is open for April 2nd, 2018 start (ends June 17th) of UCLA's Extension of PHYSCI x 412 Functional Neuroanatomy. Use code EARLY for 10% off.

Here's the link: PHYSCI X 412 Functional Neuroanatomy | UCLA Extension

Waaaaah! Just got my conditional acceptance email! Whooo!

Dunno if anyone can answer this, but I'm taking General Bio right now for Spring 2018. Only 2.5 weeks in... do you think I still have to take it or can I drop it? Unfortunately, it's a couple days past the drop deadline without a "W" on the transcript... Lol I feel like it's not very useful to take right now!

Reactions: 5 users

Dunno if anyone can answer this, but I'm taking General Bio right now for Spring 2018. Only 2.5 weeks in... do you think I still have to take it or can I drop it? Unfortunately, it's a couple days past the drop deadline without a "W" on the transcript... Lol I feel like it's not very useful to take right now!
AHHHH CONGRATS!
Thanks for the Neuroanatomy link but I will probably take my medical terminology, neuroanatomy and skills course this summer at local junior colleges/SJSU!
Do you think you will attend SJSU?

@MrTL HECK YES! I actually emailed Dr. Smith something similar when I was accepted because I was taking some foreign language classes for fun. She said I was already accepted and it was only conditional upon getting at least a B in Neuroanatomy. I don't think the 'W' will affect the acceptance.

AHHHH CONGRATS!
Thanks for the Neuroanatomy link but I will probably take my medical terminology, neuroanatomy and skills course this summer at local junior colleges/SJSU!
Do you think you will attend SJSU?

I'm 99% sure I will attend. SJSU is also the only school I've been accepted to lol

@MrTL HECK YES! I actually emailed Dr. Smith something similar when I was accepted because I was taking some foreign language classes for fun. She said I was already accepted and it was only conditional upon getting at least a B in Neuroanatomy. I don't think the 'W' will affect the acceptance.

That's good to know! Tamara just told me that it wouldn't affect the OT department side but to double check the GAPE side. So I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what I can do :)

Ugh does anyone know how long it's been since the UCLA Neuro class became full? I completely forgot to sign up until now and both online courses have a waitlist.

Congratulations!!

Ugh does anyone know how long it's been since the UCLA Neuro class became full? I completely forgot to sign up until now and both online courses have a waitlist.

I signed up on Monday, so maybe I got one of the few last spots?

I signed up on Monday, so maybe I got one of the few last spots?

Okay thanks. That gives me some hope for getting in then. Hopefully not too many people signed up since Monday. T_T

Okay thanks. That gives me some hope for getting in then. Hopefully not too many people signed up since Monday. T_T

Hope you can get in off the waitlist!

Just wanted to let you all know that there's still hope of getting into the UCLA neuro class! I just got taken off the waitlist for the course, and I signed up last Wednesday! I think they opened a new section recently, which is why I was still able to get in.

Congrats! Would you be able to share your stats?
Thank you! Sure. Keep in mind this is my third time applying.

Major: Psychology
Last 60 Units GPA: 3.3-3.4
Pre-req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 154 V 4 AW (they don’t look at your quantitive score)
Hours settings: pediatrics, hand therapy, skilled nursing facility, horse therapy, and I did some volunteer experience at a hospital, but I didn’t get an form filled out for this one.
LOR: 3 OTs (to verify hours peds and hand therapy hours), 1 letter from the horse therapy setting to count as my community service setting, and for my three standard letters were from 1 occupational therapist from a skilled nursing facility, 1 professor, and 1 supervisor from an internship.
Work experience: social services for two years and currently work in development for infants and toddlers.

In college, I was in multiple organizations and leadership roles all four years. I was highly involved in the community service center as well. I’m bilingual. I know I can be a big help in the OT community because of it, so I made sure to put that in my letter.

Applied to: SJSU (currently live in San Jose and moved in hopes of getting into this program)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! Sure. Keep in mind this is my third time applying.

Major: Psychology
Last 60 Units GPA: 3.3-3.4
Pre-req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 154 V 4 AW (they don’t look at your quantitive score)
Hours settings: pediatrics, hand therapy, skilled nursing facility, horse therapy, and I did some volunteer experience at a hospital, but I didn’t get an form filled out for this one.
LOR: 3 OTs (to verify hours peds and hand therapy hours), 1 letter from the horse therapy setting to count as my community service setting, and for my three standard letters were from 1 occupational therapist from a skilled nursing facility, 1 professor, and 1 supervisor from an internship.
Work experience: social services for two years and currently work in development for infants and toddlers.

In college, I was in multiple organizations and leadership roles all four years. I was highly involved in the community service center as well. I’m bilingual. I know I can be a big help in the OT community because of it, so I made sure to put that in my letter.

Applied to: SJSU (currently live in San Jose and moved in hopes of getting into this program)

3rd time's a charm! Congrats!

If its true that they dont look at quant, its a heaven-send because thats the section I'm doing badly at. I've done well in the verbal and writing sections.

Congrats to everyone accepted thus far! I was wondering of those accepted was anyone time stamped in November? I am trying to get a sense of where they are in applications for a friend who applied as well.

Congrats to everyone accepted thus far! I was wondering of those accepted was anyone time stamped in November? I am trying to get a sense of where they are in applications for a friend who applied as well.

Mine was time stamped on October 31st and I received my conditional acceptance email on Feb 21st. Not sure if that means anything, but hope it helps!

Mine was Nov. 7th!

3rd time's a charm! Congrats!

If its true that they dont look at quant, its a heaven-send because thats the section I'm doing badly at. I've done well in the verbal and writing sections.
Thanks!! Yes, they don’t as long as you meet the minimum for the GRE total.

Thanks!! Yes, they don’t as long as you meet the minimum for the GRE total.
What is that min for the total? Asking in case I apply for next year? I got into 2 programs but I'm considering dropping my seats in favor of reapplying to some cheaper programs. I'm an untraditional applicant with a child, so cost is everything. I've been following these feed for a while now and I'm starting to think I may have a fighting chance if I apply early enough in the cycle.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

What is that min for the total? Asking in case I apply for next year? I got into 2 programs but I'm considering dropping my seats in favor of reapplying to some cheaper programs. I'm an untraditional applicant with a child, so cost is everything. I've been following these feed for a while now and I'm starting to think I may have a fighting chance if I apply early enough in the cycle.

SJSU requires 297 minimum combined Verbal & Quant, and 4.0 minimum for AW. I had a 311 V&Q Combined and a 4.0 AW

Hi group! For those that got their conditional acceptance thru email already, how long did it take for you to receive the snail mail from the OT dept and from GAPE? I'm at about two weeks since the email and just want the security of having the physical mail in my hands haha.

Hi group! For those that got their conditional acceptance thru email already, how long did it take for you to receive the snail mail from the OT dept and from GAPE? I'm at about two weeks since the email and just want the security of having the physical mail in my hands haha.

I think it took about 2 weeks for me. I remember reading how someone had gotten it a week after getting their email acceptance, and mine definitely took longer than that.

Nice score ! Did you get in?

Yeah I did. I was concerned about my AW score since I had met with Dr. Gigi Smith last year who advised that I should really aim for a 4.5 or higher since my GPA was on the lower side. Looks like 4.0 was good enough haha!

Yeah I did. I was concerned about my AW score since I had met with Dr. Gigi Smith last year who advised that I should really aim for a 4.5 or higher since my GPA was on the lower side. Looks like 4.0 was good enough haha!
That and she probably remembered meeting with you!

Hi Everyone! Has anyone else heard anything or have any updates? Congrats to everyone accepted! :)

Hi Everyone! Has anyone else heard anything or have any updates? Congrats to everyone accepted! :)

Not that I know of. Still waiting on my official letter though lol

Hey Guys! I just recently received my email for conditional acceptance earlier today. I applied end of november if that helps anyone. I believe ill be going to USC though since Ive already submitted my intent to enroll believing that I wasnt going to get into SJSU so changes are that my spot will go to someone else. Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know the cost of tuition for the program? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!