Other OT-Related Information SJSU 2017/2018 Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the cost of tuition for the program? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!

http://www.sjsu.edu/faso/docs/1718COA_UgrdGradCred.pdf

Source: Cost of Attendance | Financial Aid and Scholarship Office | San Jose State University

If there are only 4 semesters, at $7176 per semester (over 6.1 units), then the total for tuition ONLY is $28,704.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone planning on going to the grad orientation? The one hosted by the school, not the OT department.

Congratulations to everyone accepted to SJSU!

Does anyone know if SJSU has hands-on, simulation labs?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I haven’t heard back at all, but I keep getting messages from Financial Aid. So I’m not sure if I should take the time to follow through on the Financial Aid Dept.’s requests. I’m assuming no...but just wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat as me?

So I haven’t heard back at all, but I keep getting messages from Financial Aid. So I’m not sure if I should take the time to follow through on the Financial Aid Dept.’s requests. I’m assuming no...but just wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat as me?

Same. But they also messaged me just yesterday telling me that the SSN that they have on file for me is different from the one I have listed on my FAFSA application, so that's probably why they keep messaging me.

Same. But they also messaged me just yesterday telling me that the SSN that they have on file for me is different from the one I have listed on my FAFSA application, so that's probably why they keep messaging me.
Oh thats one of the emails I got too, but I'm wondering if I should even bother fixing it with them since I havent even heard back

Lol I filled out the Financial Aid info before I got accepted. It doesn't hurt to do it just in case you get in! What if you get in later, but you didn't fill out FAFSA. That would suck.

Lol I filled out the Financial Aid info before I got accepted. It doesn't hurt to do it just in case you get in! What if you get in later, but you didn't fill out FAFSA. That would suck.
No I filled out the FASFA but they're saying that my SS# is different from my app and FASFA so they want to me mail a copy of my SS Card. So I mean if I don't have to sit in a line to get an extra SS card and then pay to mail it with a tracking number, then I'd rather not lol

No I filled out the FASFA but they're saying that my SS# is different from my app and FASFA so they want to me mail a copy of my SS Card. So I mean if I don't have to sit in a line to get an extra SS card and then pay to mail it with a tracking number, then I'd rather not lol

I'm not sure if they require an official copy. I just figured a photocopy of my original SSN would be good enough. I'll have to ask.

I'm not sure if they require an official copy. I just figured a photocopy of my original SSN would be good enough. I'll have to ask.
Yea it says copy, but I actually don't even have an original copy as it got lost in the mail when I had applied for my passport & they were mailing my documents back (my mail man sucks)...so I would have to go in and get a new one specifically for this. I know I have to go get a new one eventually, but I've been getting by with using my passport as a substitute and I actually am going out of the country this Friday so the time crunch is reeeal.

Yea it says copy, but I actually don't even have an original copy as it got lost in the mail when I had applied for my passport & they were mailing my documents back (my mail man sucks)...so I would have to go in and get a new one specifically for this. I know I have to go get a new one eventually, but I've been getting by with using my passport as a substitute and I actually am going out of the country this Friday so the time crunch is reeeal.

Okay, I just called the financial aid office. They said a photocopy should be fine, as long as it can be clearly read. Maybe call yourself and let them know about your situation. The number is 408-283-7500.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, I just called the financial aid office. They said a photocopy should be fine, as long as it can be clearly read. Maybe call yourself and let them know about your situation. The number is 408-283-7500.
Yea I emailed them and they haven't responded yet, so I'll have to give them a call when I get off work. Thanks!

Okay I called Tamara and she said they’re on Nov 19th apps and there are a few spots open still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck!!! Is SJSU your first choice?
Thanks! Mmmm yes but it’s also kind of a pipe dream lol my stats are a little average for such a sought after program

Thanks! Mmmm yes but it’s also kind of a pipe dream lol my stats are a little average for such a sought after program

When did you apply? Don't give up yet! You're not out until they send you a rejection letter.

Hi Everyone!! Does anyone happen to know what it means to be officially accepted by the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions? I got my conditional acceptance last week, but I wasn't completely sure if I needed to contact GAPE to find out if I had been officially accepted. I tried checking my application status online through the MY SJSU website, but found nothing. Thank you!!! :)

Hi Everyone!! Does anyone happen to know what it means to be officially accepted by the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions? I got my conditional acceptance last week, but I wasn't completely sure if I needed to contact GAPE to find out if I had been officially accepted. I tried checking my application status online through the MY SJSU website, but found nothing. Thank you!!! :)
I think a conditional acceptance from the OT Dept. means that you're in as long as you finish your prereqs before the start of the program. For the OT Department to even of been passed on your materials to review, that means you met the GAPE standards of admission.

I think a conditional acceptance from the OT Dept. means that you're in as long as you finish your prereqs before the start of the program. For the OT Department to even of been passed on your materials to review, that means you met the GAPE standards of admission.

Thanks a lot!! Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking but definitely started to over think the email and get paranoid :)

Okay I called Tamara and she said they’re on Nov 19th apps and there are a few spots open still.
Did Tamara give you an exact number of how many spots are left. I applied late December but it seems that spots will be filled before the date. Does anyone know how many are accepted on the wait list ?

Did Tamara give you an exact number of how many spots are left. I applied late December but it seems that spots will be filled before the date. Does anyone know how many are accepted on the wait list ?

So I went to the info session today. Pretty pointless for me since I've already been accepted, but during her talk, Dr. Smith mentioned that they were wrapping up the admissions for this application period. It was sort of an offhand comment, so I don't know how much you should take that to heart, but I'm guessing that means they've filled almost all the seats at this point.

Hi Everyone - planning to apply to SJSU in the future and have a quick question re the Human Anatomy prereq which they note requires either a class with human cadavers or virtual cadavers. I have a choice to take the Anatomy/Phys sequence at Saddleback CC (summer class) or next year at the University of Alabama. Saddleback said they use a human cadaver for the muscle section of the class, and UA says they use human torso models, along with a Pearson virtual cadaver dissection tool called PAL. Before committing to either option I really want to ensure it satisfies the SJSU prereq. Anyone here with any insight on this? Thx!!

I also emailed the SJSU OT dept but have not gotten a response - sure they are busy with applicants.

Hi Everyone - planning to apply to SJSU in the future and have a quick question re the Human Anatomy prereq which they note requires either a class with human cadavers or virtual cadavers. I have a choice to take the Anatomy/Phys sequence at Saddleback CC (summer class) or next year at the University of Alabama. Saddleback said they use a human cadaver for the muscle section of the class, and UA says they use human torso models, along with a Pearson virtual cadaver dissection tool called PAL. Before committing to either option I really want to ensure it satisfies the SJSU prereq. Anyone here with any insight on this? Thx!!

I also emailed the SJSU OT dept but have not gotten a response - sure they are busy with applicants.
Saddleback option sounds more legitimate in my opinion. I believe it is required to have a real-life cadaver, so the torso “models” and virtual cadaver might not count (model usually means it’s plastic unless otherwise specified). Taking the summer option may also be beneficial because A&P are the most important prereqs and they require a lot of studying. That’s just my two-cents, but you definitely need to check with the OT department. If they haven’t responded by now, I recommend sending them another email :)

Saddleback option sounds more legitimate in my opinion. I believe it is required to have a real-life cadaver, so the torso “models” and virtual cadaver might not count (model usually means it’s plastic unless otherwise specified). Taking the summer option may also be beneficial because A&P are the most important prereqs and they require a lot of studying. That’s just my two-cents, but you definitely need to check with the OT department. If they haven’t responded by now, I recommend sending them another email :)

Thanks - appreciate the response. No response from the dept but will try again!

Hi she just said that a couple of spots are still open, that they're working through November apps still and probably won't make it to Decembers apps--mine was submitted in November but verified the 1st week of December so I'm sure that means I'm out.

Has anyone heard back recently as to whether or not they have been accepted? Has anyone for sure been denied? My application was marked as complete and ready to be reviewed on Nov 20th. Tamara said last week they still had a few openings and would be nearing the end of November applications. If anyone has any info that would be great!

Has anyone heard back recently as to whether or not they have been accepted? Has anyone for sure been denied? My application was marked as complete and ready to be reviewed on Nov 20th. Tamara said last week they still had a few openings and would be nearing the end of November applications. If anyone has any info that would be great!
I JUST heard back, I got accepted!! Completely out of the blue! I submitted my app end of November, I had completely written off SJSU because it's been so long and I've heard nothing... I have no idea their system for processing apps, but I guess never give up until you've gotten the rejection letter!

Reactions: 2 users
I JUST heard back, I got accepted!! Completely out of the blue! I submitted my app end of November, I had completely written off SJSU because it's been so long and I've heard nothing... I have no idea their system for processing apps, but I guess never give up until you've gotten the rejection letter!

Congratz! See you when school starts :)

Congratulations on everyone who made it in! I turned in my application on the 22nd of November and I am still anxiously waiting. How exciting that at least 1 person has been accepted today. Is there anyone else who turned in their application end of November and does anyone know if all spots have been filled? Thanks in advance!

I just received my acceptance today! I applied in early November. Def thought it was a lost cause at this point haha

Congratulations on everyone who made it in! I turned in my application on the 22nd of November and I am still anxiously waiting. How exciting that at least 1 person has been accepted today. Is there anyone else who turned in their application end of November and does anyone know if all spots have been filled? Thanks in advance!

I think there were a few mid-to-late November apps that got acceptances. Not sure how many. But they're definitely looking at November apps right now. Not sure if all the spots are filled but it seems like they're down to the last few spots if people are not accepting the offer.

I just received my acceptance today! I applied in early November. Def thought it was a lost cause at this point haha

Yay! Do you know if you'll attend? Congratz!

Congrats! That's awesome!

Thanks for the congrats! Also I should mention that I'm 90% sure I'll be attending Samuel Merritt instead, so my spot might open up soon for those still waiting to hear... Good luck everyone, what a stressful process!!

Thanks for the congrats! Also I should mention that I'm 90% sure I'll be attending Samuel Merritt instead, so my spot might open up soon for those still waiting to hear... Good luck everyone, what a stressful process!!
When did they say you have to accept or decline by?

Why are you choosing Samuel Merritt instead?

Congrats on getting into both schools! Are you able to share your stats? Thank you!

I think there were a few mid-to-late November apps that got acceptances. Not sure how many. But they're definitely looking at November apps right now. Not sure if all the spots are filled but it seems like they're down to the last few spots if people are not accepting the offer.

Yay! Do you know if you'll attend? Congratz!

I’ll be declining my spot. I’ll be attending Washington University in St Louis instead. I’m glad someone else will have a chance to attend SJSU and snag that amazing tuition price

When did they say you have to accept or decline by?

They usually expect a response within 2 weeks, although they didn't really specify that in my acceptance email.

Does anyone know for sure the last day that we should be expected to hear by? Has anyone gotten a straight up rejection letter?

Does anyone know for sure the last day that we should be expected to hear by? Has anyone gotten a straight up rejection letter?

Not sure. They may be waiting for some people to decline the offer, which would open up some spots. Can't really tell from the facebook group either because many are already students. Sorry I can't help more!

Has anyone else heard back at all? I'm still waiting for any type of decision before I commit to the other program that I was accepted into and I was wondering if anyone has any idea of when we should all know where we stand by?

Has anyone else heard back at all? I'm still waiting for any type of decision before I commit to the other program that I was accepted into and I was wondering if anyone has any idea of when we should all know where we stand by?

Still not sure. I don't think SJSU does a waiting list where they tell the applicants what number they are, so possibly just waiting for the last few spots to accept or decline (and if they decline, I guess they'll let the next applicant know then).

Still not sure. I don't think SJSU does a waiting list where they tell the applicants what number they are, so possibly just waiting for the last few spots to accept or decline (and if they decline, I guess they'll let the next applicant know then).
Damn that’s what I was worried of. The other rolling app school I applied to doesn’t even send out rejections lol it’s so open ended

After putting down a deposit and attending orientation at another program, I received my conditional acceptance to SJSU via email on Friday! Very unexpected this late in the game, but I couldn't be more excited as this was my top choice school. A few questions to those who have been in frequent correspondence with the department...

1) When will we be able to enroll in the Neuroanatomy course offered at SJSU over the summer?
2) Will there be a department orientation to meet the faculty, cohort, tour campus, etc.? If so, when?
3) Would anyone be willing to add me to the Facebook group? I have been unable to locate it through FB's search features.

Good luck to those who are still waiting! I know I gave up hope months ago, but my recent acceptance shows they are still filling the final few spots. I can't wait to meet everyone else very soon!

After putting down a deposit and attending orientation at another program, I received my conditional acceptance to SJSU via email on Friday! Very unexpected this late in the game, but I couldn't be more excited as this was my top choice school. A few questions to those who have been in frequent correspondence with the department...

1) When will we be able to enroll in the Neuroanatomy course offered at SJSU over the summer?
2) Will there be a department orientation to meet the faculty, cohort, tour campus, etc.? If so, when?
3) Would anyone be willing to add me to the Facebook group? I have been unable to locate it through FB's search features.

Good luck to those who are still waiting! I know I gave up hope months ago, but my recent acceptance shows they are still filling the final few spots. I can't wait to meet everyone else very soon!

Congratz!

1. I believe you can enroll in the neuroanatomy course right now. It's called OCTH190 and it's thru SJSU's open university. So your status doesn't need to change or anything. Anyone can enroll.
2. There's a mandatory orientation on Aug 20th. First day of class is Aug 21. There's also a luncheon at SJSU in a couple of weeks, but you'll be notified of that soon.
3. Tamara will add you to the SJSU OT group and tell you about the luncheon!

Congratulations again! I'll see you in August!

Congratz!

1. I believe you can enroll in the neuroanatomy course right now. It's called OCTH190 and it's thru SJSU's open university. So your status doesn't need to change or anything. Anyone can enroll.
2. There's a mandatory orientation on Aug 20th. First day of class is Aug 21. There's also a luncheon at SJSU in a couple of weeks, but you'll be notified of that soon.
3. Tamara will add you to the SJSU OT group and tell you about the luncheon!

Congratulations again! I'll see you in August!

Thanks for all the info, MrTL! I'll keep a look out for an email from Tamara with further details. :)

Has anyone who has applied for FAFSA gotten an award yet? I've been checking constantly but I still haven't heard anything yet.

I literally just received my conditional acceptance!!! Can anyone send me information as far as the summer online neuro course???

I literally just received my conditional acceptance!!! Can anyone send me information as far as the summer online neuro course???
Congratz!

I believe you have to sign up for SJSU open university and sign up for OCTH 190. That's it, I think.

Not much info on the SJSU website about it lol: Info.sjsu.edu