Other OT-Related Information SJSU 2017/2018 Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OH GOSH THANK YOU SO MUCH! (if any OT schools are checking these forums out, I promise that I am much more put together then I am coming across!)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so at least we know that they are looking through applications from people who aren’t second/third time applicants. When did you submit your app?

I submitted the OTCAS app on Friday the 13th of October :D I was confused and thought that the applications couldn't be turned in until October 1st for OTCAS and GAPE... but it was just GAPE that didn't open until October 1st. Doh! I had my volunteer evaluator send in the eval on her own rather than the packet, so that came much earlier. So, hopefully my app counts as being submitted on October 13th instead of when the packet came!!! But, if it was when they received my packet, then that was like October 31st. Haha too confusing!

Okay awesome! I believe that they count your application as submitted once you have all of the volunteer forms, your essay, and the application as submitted! The only reason I believe this is because Tamara contacted me to ask if I wanted to either keep my submission date the same or add another volunteer evaluation. I already had over 300 at the time so I ended up just saying to ignore that form and keep my application as completed on the 11th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that it can be the same essay and someone from GAPE said we didn't have to really write anything at all (they just look at GPA and whether you earned your degree). From my understanding the Cal State portion doesn't even go to the OT department. They just use it to make sure you are eligible to get into the school. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but that was my understanding.

A few of us talked about it before here: Program-Specific Info / Q's - SJSU Cal State Apply
Is everyone able to access their mysjsu student portal? Im not able to for some reason......

The website was down for like 5 days for maintenance. It's running again now.

^^^ Yup, it was this!

Oh man, this waiting is tortuous right now lol

Has anyone heard anything or know of any other acceptances?

Has anyone heard anything or know of any other acceptances?

I haven't heard anything new, but I also don't know anyone else applying to SJSU except you guys in this thread lol

I haven't heard anything new, but I also don't know anyone else applying to SJSU except you guys in this thread lol
Me too. I’m surprised we’ve only heard of one acceptance on here. I keep checking my phone to see if I’ve gotten an email from them!

Has anyone heard anything recently?

Has anyone heard anything recently?

Thanksgiving weekend? I wouldn't expect a response from SJSU. From previous threads, when they're on holiday, they don't take their work with them. I can appreciate that ;)

Hahaha I guess I just completely forgot about that (I only got one day off of work and work weekends so I forget other companies/organizations are actually nice and give employees time off)! I did have a question regarding accessing the portal! Since I just turned in the application for the actual school I am waiting for them to contact me with my information to get into the mysjsuportal. How long did this take for you guys? It has been a week1

Members don't see this ad :)
I think for me it took about 6 or 7 business days (so in your case, I would keep in mind that they probably won't be processing applications during Thanksgiving break). I would give it until next week, and then you can give them a call to check on the status.

I think for me it took about 6 or 7 business days (so in your case, I would keep in mind that they probably won't be processing applications during Thanksgiving break). I would give it until next week, and then you can give them a call to check on the status.
Thanks so much!

This wait is torturous haha. From doing research from previous threads, it seems that they don't update mysjsu right away even if you get in. Some statuses stayed the same even months after some students were accepted. Does anyone know of other acceptances outside of this thread?

This wait is torturous haha. From doing research from previous threads, it seems that they don't update mysjsu right away even if you get in. Some statuses stayed the same even months after some students were accepted. Does anyone know of other acceptances outside of this thread?
It really is a pain! I have been checking my email almost every ten minutes waiting and waiting! I don't think I would be as stressed if I hadn't found out that someone already did hear back (I feel like because I have not heard back that means I won't be accepted)!

Has anyone called or emailed and asked what the status of the process is? I want to, but I don't even know what I would ask.

I have not, but I assume that they will not be able to reveal too much. The only info it seems that they are giving out is when your app was officially date stamped and ready to review.

I hope we hear some news before winter break!

Reactions: 1 users
I have not, but I assume that they will not be able to reveal too much. The only info it seems that they are giving out is when your app was officially date stamped and ready to review.

I hope we hear some news before winter break!
Based on the forums from previous years, it seems like there was a large number acceptances in early January. But I really hope we hear back before winter break as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Based on the forums from previous years, it seems like there was a large number acceptances in early January. But I really hope we hear back before winter break as well!
If not then heres to another month of frantically checking our email/mail and quietly dying inside!

Hi! I've also applied to start at SJSU Fall of 2018. I'm super nervous about my chances and about the whole process overall. Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone I have also applied for fall 2018, and I too feel very nervous! I wish you all here the best of luck!!

Welcome newcomers to the thread!

Looks like we're all just waiting to hear back. To help deal with the stress, all I'm doing is preparing for the worst lol. So, just working on my volunteer hours and planning more courses for the Spring semester to boost my GPA that teensy bit. If I don't get in this round, I'll be more than prepared for the next!!!

Hey guys! I have a really stupid question! I just finally got my sjsu ID and I am having trouble signing into my SJSU! I keep getting the following message. is anyone else getting this?

Sorry, you can't access PeopleSoft Campus Solutions because you are not assigned this app in Okta.

I just tried to log in, and I'm not getting that message. I would recommend calling GAPE if you're still getting it today.

Oh I actually have another question for all you fellow applicants! Have any of you not completed all of your prerequisites yet? I plan to take the skills course over the summer once I know that I have been accepted to the program! For those already accepted did you have all of your prerequisite courses completed?

Oh I actually have another question for all you fellow applicants! Have any of you not completed all of your prerequisites yet? I plan to take the skills course over the summer once I know that I have been accepted to the program! For those already accepted did you have all of your prerequisite courses completed?

I haven’t! Im taking physiology and the skills course in spring

I still have to take the skills course and neuro!

I think I took all the prereqs. For Neuroanatomy, I put in a Biological Psychology course. If they don't accept that, I'd take it at SJSU in the summer. Or if I found out sooner, I'd take that UCLA one everyone was talking about it in other, older SJSU threads.

For the skills course, I took a sketchbook course during a semester abroad but I haven't filled my neuroanatomy prerequisite yet. For most MOT programs, it's embedded into the program, so I figured I won't overextend myself to fill it until I know if I'm accepted into the SJSU program.

All prereqs are done except for neuro! I was wondering what everyone's stats are?

University: University of Portland
Major: Psychology
Minor: Neuroscience
Overall GPA: (OTCAS) 3.49
Last 60 credits GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: Around a 3.8 depending on the school
GRE 1: 157V, 154Q , AW:4.5
GRE 2: 156V, 158Q, AW: 5.0

Current Work: Behavioral Therapist at the Center for Autism and Related Disorder's

Observation/Volunteer hours: Autism Clinic volunteer (154 hr), Providence Sports Center (14 hr), Armwork hand therapy (8 hr), Advanced Pediatric therapies (72 hr), Orthopedic clinic (111 hr), Albertina Kerr (20 hr), Battle Ground Healthcare (142 and continuing).
Total hours: 521 hours total

LOR: A professor from my senior year, my OTL/R mentor who I have been working with for over a year and am currently conducting research with, the OTL/R that I worked under at the orthopedic clinic.

Applied to: Midwestern-Downers Grove, San Jose State, Cleveland State, Washington University, Midwestern-Glendale, Touro University Nevada, University of Illinois at Chicago

Acceptances:Cleveland State

Rejections:

Interviews:Midwestern-Gelndale

University: University of California, Davis
Major: Economics (2009)
Overall GPA: OTCAS 2.76 (let's just say I wasn't passionate about econ haha)
Last 60 credits GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (All taken within this last year lol. It helped boost my last 60 by a lot!)
GRE 1: 155V, 150Q , 4.5W

Current Work: Personal Fitness Trainer (anyone looking for an online personal trainer/nutrition coach? :D)

Observation/Volunteer hours: 120 hours at USC Keck Medical (inpatient/outpatient/rehab cardiac, neuro, ortho, cancer, edema, hand), 40 hours at NAPA Center (neuro/physio pediatrics), 40 hours senior community health workshop volunteer

LOR: OTR/L from Keck, Psych prof, former manager

Applied to: SJSU, Pacific U, Columbia, SUNY Downstate, TJU

Acceptances: None yet

Rejections: TJU

Interviews: None yet

University: Arizona State University
Major: Applied Biological Sciences w/ focus on Health Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.16
Last 60 Units GPA: 3.9
Pre-req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 154 V 157 Q 4 AW
Hours: 926 all Pediatrics
Experience: interned with a behavioral therapist, LAUSD substitute for TK-12th & Special Ed
LOR: 2 OTs, 1 Behavioral Therapist, 1 Professor (OChem), 1 Employer (LAUSD Principle)
Current Work: OT Aide, Substitute Teacher & High School Cheer Coach
Applied to: CSUDH, USC, SJSU, AT Still, USA San Marcos
Rejections: CSUDH
Acceptances: none yet
Interviews: none yet

Last edited:
Amazing stats everyone! Now I'm scared lol
UCLA- psychobiology 2015
Undergrad gpa:3.33
Last 60:3.6
prereq gpa:4.0
GRE: 154V 151Q 4.0W (Barely made the verbal requirement, had to retake. English is my second language and it was a struggle...)
Work: rehab aide at snf and outpatient physical therapy clinics
volunteer: Hand therapy clinic, SNF
hours: Around 800
LOR: 2 OTs, 2 PTs, 1 anatomy professor
applied: SJSU, USC, USA San Marcos, Samuel Merritt, Stanbridge
interview: USA San Marcos, Samuel Merritt, Stanbridge
rejections:
acceptance:

School: UC Davis
Major: Human development
Cumulative: 3.44
Last 60: 3.8
GRE: 161 V 158 Q 4.5 AW
Observation: 40 acute, 40 outpatient, 52 pediatric, 27 hand therapy
Work: managed a church nursery, caregiver for people with developmental disabilities, overnight caregiver for newborn twins
Other: research assistant for 1 year, surgical intern in South Africa, Deans list, Order of Omega honors society

Acceptances:
Interviews: Rush University, Loma Linda University
Rejections:

Wow, some really competitive stats from everyone. Seems like they'll have a hard time choosing... or they could choose all of us ;)

Am I the only one who is confused as to why one person has heard back but a majority of us are still waiting. I feel if they had started accepting students then there would be a steady flow of acceptance/waitlist/denial updates!

Am I the only one who is confused as to why one person has heard back but a majority of us are still waiting. I feel if they had started accepting students then there would be a steady flow of acceptance/waitlist/denial updates!
No I don’t think so because they admit on a rolling basis.

No I don’t think so because they admit on a rolling basis.
Thats what I mean! If they have started to go through the applicants shouldn't more of us be hearing from them!

Wow, some really competitive stats from everyone. Seems like they'll have a hard time choosing... or they could choose all of us ;)

Seriously I hope we all get in haha
I hope the people that aren't on this forum have less competitive stats. SJSU gets around 600-800 applicants a year so it's pretty discouraging. However, I don't think that number takes into account the people that don't make the requirements since schools like SJSU have a strict cutoff. For example, if you don't meet 153V or 4.0W you won't even be considered, unfortunately. So maybe that leaves around 500-600 people fighting for around 80 spots?

Seriously I hope we all get in haha
I hope the people that aren't on this forum have less competitive stats. SJSU gets around 600-800 applicants a year so it's pretty discouraging. However, I don't think that number takes into account the people that don't make the requirements since schools like SJSU have a strict cutoff. For example, if you don't meet 153V or 4.0W you won't even be considered, unfortunately. So maybe that leaves around 500-600 people fighting for around 80 spots?
EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO CRY!!!!!

Hey everyone!

I have been lurking this forum for a while and it has really been helping me through this application process so I decided to join in. I last talked to Tamara on October 19th and she said they might not start looking for another couple months. So I am assuming mid-late December they will review and we will start to see the first acceptances. @NJK17 I am assuming they reviewed the re-applicants first. By the way everyone's stats are impressive! Good luck to you all during this process!

Thats what I mean! If they have started to go through the applicants shouldn't more of us be hearing from them!
Mmmm I guess but it really depends on when everyone submitted & when their GPAs and Transcripts cleared with OTCAS.

EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO CRY!!!!!

I would not be crying if I had your stats lol. If you have a great personal statement and letter of recs, I think you have a very good chance of getting in with your stats.

I would not be crying if I had your stats lol. If you have a great personal statement and letter of recs, I think you have a very good chance of getting in with your stats.
HAHAHA Thanks! At this point I hope we all just get in cause I am so attached to all the people in this group and feel we have bonded over a shared anxiety!

Also, I went to SJSU for my undergrad so i you guys have any questions about the campus, community, or living feel free to ask :)

I just found some of my notes from their info session so I thought I would share:
- Avg accepted GPA last year was 3.86
- You need to hit the minimum GRE to be considered
- The waitlist had about 20 students
- I believe the final cohort had 82 students
- And they were still accepting people in April so don’t lose hope now!!!

Reactions: 3 users