Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU MSOT 2023-2024 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsetz

Reaction score
hi everyone! i havent seen a thread for the 23/24 cycle so i just wanted to make one so we can be in the application process together :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I was looking for one! I applied and I am so nervous! Good luck to everyone in their applications!

Thanks for making this! Is anyone else on the fence between MSOT and OTD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for making this! Is anyone else on the fence between MSOT and OTD?
At the info meeting, they said you can apply to both with the same evaluation forms. I'm waiting on an email about how I can go about that.

does anyone know if the personal statement guidelines are strict such as the 500-word limit? does it need to be double-spaced, 12pt font, and Times New Roman?

At the info meeting, they said you can apply to both with the same evaluation forms. I'm waiting on an email about how I can go about that

did they get back to you on how we can use one eval form for both programs?

Have you guys applied yet, and if so when? I was going to submit my application on OTCAS on October 1st (first day that SJSU begins looking at applications), however I wasn't aware of a verification/processing time for my application once submitted. So if I submit on October 1st, it might take up to (according to OTCAS) 4 weeks for my application to be verified, processed, and able to be seen by SJSU, which means I might've messed up by not submitting my application at least 4 weeks before October 1st 😭.

Have you guys applied yet, and if so when? I was going to submit my application on OTCAS on October 1st (first day that SJSU begins looking at applications), however I wasn't aware of a verification/processing time for my application once submitted. So if I submit on October 1st, it might take up to (according to OTCAS) 4 weeks for my application to be verified, processed, and able to be seen by SJSU, which means I might've messed up by not submitting my application at least 4 weeks before October 1st .

I applied in July soon after the application opened. I know they accept applications in the order they received them so I would say the sooner the better! I hope you can still apply before Oct 1!

Have you guys applied yet, and if so when? I was going to submit my application on OTCAS on October 1st (first day that SJSU begins looking at applications), however I wasn't aware of a verification/processing time for my application once submitted. So if I submit on October 1st, it might take up to (according to OTCAS) 4 weeks for my application to be verified, processed, and able to be seen by SJSU, which means I might've messed up by not submitting my application at least 4 weeks before October 1st 😭.
I submitted my OTCAS application on August 3rd and it was verified by August 10th so hopefully it's a speedy process for you as well. I think just make sure you at least have the required documents the department requires mailed to them as soon as possible if you haven't already done so!

And so the wait begins...good luck everyone!

Hi Everyone,
Is anyone else having difficulty getting responses from the grad advisor email or Gigi Smith? I've been sending follow-up emails and calling and I have had no answers.
Also- I had completely forgotten about GAPE opening oct.1 and just submitted it all on the 17th... do you think this will affect my chances or impact how early I will hear back? I submitted OTCAS sep.1 and had everything into the department by the first week of September.

Hi Everyone,
Is anyone else having difficulty getting responses from the grad advisor email or Gigi Smith? I've been sending follow-up emails and calling and I have had no answers.
Also- I had completely forgotten about GAPE opening oct.1 and just submitted it all on the 17th... do you think this will affect my chances or impact how early I will hear back? I submitted OTCAS sep.1 and had everything into the department by the first week of September.

From my understanding, you don’t have to complete GAPE in order for them to review and accept your application. I think you just need it done by March. Please let me know if I’m wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, you don’t have to complete GAPE in order for them to review and accept your application. I think you just need it done by March. Please let me know if I’m wrong.

Sorry I meant February 1st, which is the deadline to apply for the MSOT program.

Hi everyone!

Has anyone heard back from admissions yet? I sent in my application early October and was just curious if there's any news of them sending out acceptances. Good luck to everyone! I applied to the OTD program as well, so I hope I hear back soon, although I applied kinda late.

Hi everyone!

Has anyone heard back from admissions yet? I sent in my application early October and was just curious if there's any news of them sending out acceptances. Good luck to everyone! I applied to the OTD program as well, so I hope I hear back soon, although I applied kinda late.
I have not heard anything yet. I only applied to the MSOT program. Last year, I think many people heard back the first week of December and a few around November 14th.

Hi everyone!

I haven’t heard back either and I applied late July. Last year it seemed like people began to hear back mid November. So hard to wait patiently!

I haven’t heard back either and I applied late July. Last year it seemed like people began to hear back mid November. So hard to wait patiently!
I know! I'm checking this forum all the time now to see if anyone has heard back

I know! I can't wait to hear if anyone has heard back! Did you apply to both the OTD and MSOT program?

Does anyone feel comfortable sharing their stats?

Does anyone feel comfortable sharing their stats?
STATS:
Bachelor's: Psychology, Minor: Human Systems Integration
Cumulative GPA (last 60): 3.8
Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
Observation/Volunteer Hours :
-20 peds (with OTs specializing in feeding/swallowing)
-2300 hand therapy (I work as a full-time OT Aide)
-50 soup kitchen serving seniors
-100 outdoor education camp counselor
-20 volunteering in my church
Letters of Rec: 3 OTs( 2 are hand therapists and 1 is a SJSU prof)
GRE: V:154, Q:145 Writing: 3.0
Applied: Stanbridge University, Dominican University, SJSU
Rejected:
Accepted: Stanbridge University, Dominican University
Just waiting for SJSU!

STATS:
Bachelor's: Psychology, Minor: Human Systems Integration
Cumulative GPA (last 60): 3.8
Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
Observation/Volunteer Hours :
-20 peds (with OTs specializing in feeding/swallowing)
-2300 hand therapy (I work as a full-time OT Aide)
-50 soup kitchen serving seniors
-100 outdoor education camp counselor
-20 volunteering in my church
Letters of Rec: 3 OTs( 2 are hand therapists and 1 is a SJSU prof)
GRE: V:154, Q:145 Writing: 3.0
Applied: Stanbridge University, Dominican University, SJSU
Rejected:
Accepted: Stanbridge University, Dominican University
Just waiting for SJSU!
wow, great stats! when did you interview with/hear back from Stanbridge? I just interviewed with them this past Friday.

Here are my stats:
-Bachelor's: Psychology; Minor: Human development
-Cumulative GPA: 4.0
-Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
-Observation/volunteer:
-outpatient peds: 40 hours
-hand therapy: 80 hours
-special needs summer camp volunteer: 35 hours
-4 LOR: 1 OT (peds), 2 professors (A & P) and (Dev. psych), 1 professional reference
-GRE: V(161) Q(151) Writing(4.0)
-Applied: Stanbridge, SJSU, Midwestern (glendale), WashU, Radford, Peiffer, LRU, UNC CH (All MOT programs)
-Accepted (so far): Midwestern
-Regected (so far): N/A

wow, great stats! when did you interview with/hear back from Stanbridge? I just interviewed with them this past Friday.
Thanks! You have awesome stats too! I had an interview with Stanbridge on October 13 and got accepted 5 days later. What's your number 1 school you want to attend?

Thanks! You have awesome stats too! I had an interview with Stanbridge on October 13 and got accepted 5 days later. What's your number 1 school you want to attend?
SJSU 100%! I am from CA and it is soo much less expensive.

Do you know if we have to submit our GAPE app before we can get accepted? I believe we don’t have to as long as we get it in before Feb, but I am getting paranoid and wanted to ask here.

Do you know if we have to submit our GAPE app before we can get accepted? I believe we don’t have to as long as we get it in before Feb, but I am getting paranoid and wanted to ask here.
I honestly don't know! I know admissions are rolling, but I'm not sure if that is regarding the OTCAS app or GAPE as well. Have you submitted your GAPE yet?

I honestly don't know! I know admissions are rolling, but I'm not sure if that is regarding the OTCAS app or GAPE as well. Have you submitted your GAPE yet?

I submitted last week and have yet to order all my transcripts so it isn’t complete yet. I submitted my OTCAS in July and was planning on waiting to hear from the dept first, but couldn’t take the wait so I decided to submit the GAPE app just in case.

I submitted last week and have yet to order all my transcripts so it isn’t complete yet. I submitted my OTCAS in July and was planning on waiting to hear from the dept first, but couldn’t take the wait so I decided to submit the GAPE app just in case.
I would just send in transcripts now, just to be safe, especially if it's the last thing you need before your GAPE is complete. When I sent in my transcripts they received it within a day or 2.

Hi! For those of you applying to both the MSOT and OTD programs, I have some questions. Where did you upload the OTD-specific personal statement? The website says to upload it on OTCAS but I already uploaded the general essay and am not sure where to upload the OTD-specific essay. Also for GAPE, do we only have to request transcripts once since both programs are at the same university?

Hi! For those of you applying to both the MSOT and OTD programs, I have some questions. Where did you upload the OTD-specific personal statement? The website says to upload it on OTCAS but I already uploaded the general essay and am not sure where to upload the OTD-specific essay. Also for GAPE, do we only have to request transcripts once since both programs are at the same university?

I’m not sure about your GAPE question, but at the info meeting Gigi said that you can send it to their OT dept with a note that you want it to be used for your OTD app.

Hey everyone! I got accepted into SJSUs OTD program! I hope you all hear back from the MSOT program soon!

Thank you! Yes, I applied for the MSOT, but no response from them regarding the master's yet.
It sounds like they may be doing doctorate acceptances first? It's so exciting that they are starting the process!

I got my acceptance into the OTD program today! Still waiting to hear back about the MSOT program.

I got my acceptance into the OTD program today! Still waiting to hear back about the MSOT program.
YAYY! Congratulations! Are you accepting or waiting to hear back from the MSOT program? So happy for you!!!

YAYY! Congratulations! Are you accepting or waiting to hear back from the MSOT program? So happy for you!!!
Thanks you too!! I think I’m leaning towards OTD rn but also would wanna wait to hear back about the MSOT program. I asked Dr. Gigi if we could chat because I’m pretty on the fence. The tuition difference makes me :// What about you??

Thanks you too!! I think I’m leaning towards OTD rn but also would wanna wait to hear back about the MSOT program. I asked Dr. Gigi if we could chat because I’m pretty on the fence. The tuition difference makes me :// What about you??
I accepted the OTD program. I hope you hear back from the masters soon so you can make your final decision!

Congrats!! That is so exciting :))) ya, I didn't realize how big the tuition cost difference was.. I still have not heard about MSOT yet. Hoping soon!