Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU 2022-2023 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringOT!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I haven't seen a thread created yet for this year's cycle for SJSU, so I thought I'd start one for anyone who has questions as we work on the application/go through the process.

I know on their website SJSU says to keep our personal statements to 500 words/1 page long, but does anyone know how strict they are on this, or would they accept statements a bit longer ~600 words? It's so hard to include everything I want to say in just 500 words!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for making this thread! :)

As per the grad advisor, she emailed me when I asked about the word limit: “ While there is no word limit for the personal statement, we recommend 500 words or 1 page. Please keep in mind to not make your personal statement too long. “

I totally can relate to this! It has been a huge struggle keeping my personal statement to 1 page as well!

Does anyone know how long it should take OTCAS to verify our application?

I believe it can take up to 5 business days for the verification process, but mine got verified in fewer than that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for making this thread! :)

As per the grad advisor, she emailed me when I asked about the word limit: “ While there is no word limit for the personal statement, we recommend 500 words or 1 page. Please keep in mind to not make your personal statement too long. “

I totally can relate to this! It has been a huge struggle keeping my personal statement to 1 page as well!

Does anyone know how long it should take OTCAS to verify our application?

That is great to know, thank you for sharing this! So there is no strict limit to exactly 500 words, but rather it is a recommendation to keep it shorter or within that range of length?

On the OTCAS site, I believe it says it typically takes around 3 weeks, but I heard as long as your transcript entry is accurate and they received your official transcript already, it shouldn’t take too long. My friend said it only took a few days for her to get verified.

That is great to know, thank you for sharing this! So there is no strict limit to exactly 500 words, but rather it is a recommendation to keep it shorter or within that range of length?

On the OTCAS site, I believe it says it typically takes around 3 weeks, but I heard as long as your transcript entry is accurate and they received your official transcript already, it shouldn’t take too long. My friend said it only took a few days for her to get verified.
Yes, exactly! Thanks, that’s super reassuring since my transcripts are all good to go!

Thanks for making this thread! In response to the personal statement, are they reading the one we upload on OTCAS? I really don't want to shorten it either if that is the case, because I want other schools to be able to read my full statement as well :-/

Thanks for making this thread! In response to the personal statement, are they reading the one we upload on OTCAS? I really don't want to shorten it either if that is the case, because I want other schools to be able to read my full statement as well :-/
Here is what the grad advisor also emailed me that will hopefully help: “You are welcome to personalize or adjust your personal statement that you mail to us in your application packet as long as you specify that you would like that one to be read over the one submitted in OTCAS.”

I actually attended the MSOT info session this past week and asked about the personal statement. Dr. Smith said that the 500 word count is not a strict limit, and the statement can be about 1-2 pages! Just nothing over 2-3 since they have so many to get through. So I think uploading your original statement should be fine!!

Do you guys know how you would go about adding an experience you just started? Would you just estimate the amount of hours you’re going to complete? I wanted to add this experience asap since I know the application cycle starts in October and I’ve already turned in my OCTAs app for SJSU

Last edited:
Do you guys know how you would go about adding an experience you just started? Would you just estimate the amount of hours you’re going to complete? I wanted to add this experience asap since I know the application cycle starts in October and I’ve already turned in my OCTAs app for SJSU
Did you mean like adding the experience on OTCAS?

For those who have submitted already, any hunches on when we can expect to hear back?? Hoping it’ll be sometime before the holidays

Did you mean like adding the experience on OTCAS?
Yes! But I emailed Emily and she said I can turn in an eval form for the projected hours and she’ll attach it to my application. So no need for me to add it to OTCAs.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who have submitted already, any hunches on when we can expect to hear back?? Hoping it’ll be sometime before the holidays
I was looking at previous years threads and it seemed like people were notified as early as Nov so hopefully it’ll be the same this year! Did you turn in your materials Oct. 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at previous years threads and it seemed like people were notified as early as Nov so hopefully it’ll be the same this year! Did you turn in your materials Oct. 1?

Yes I did!! What about you?

Yeah, I saw previous threads the earliest people usually hear back is mid-end of November, so let’s hope for that this year too! The wait is definitely hard!

Yes I did!! What about you?

Yeah, I saw previous threads the earliest people usually hear back is mid-end of November, so let’s hope for that this year too! The wait is definitely hard!
Yes I did as well! And I agree. The wait has already been tough and it’s only been half a month 😅

Yes I did as well! And I agree. The wait has already been tough and it’s only been half a month

Ahhh it’s finally November, the wait continues!! Hoping some of us will hear back in the next few weeks

Ahhh it’s finally November, the wait continues!! Hoping some of us will hear back in the next few weeks
Yes hopefully! Goodluck! Hope we all get in 😮‍💨

Guys 😭 I got the acceptance email about an hour ago. I hope you guys got yours too!

Reactions: 2 users
Guys I got the acceptance email about an hour ago. I hope you guys got yours too!

AHH omg congrats!!!! Good to know they’ve started reviewing apps already! Was the email from the OT Department? And if you don’t mind, could you share your stats?

AHH omg congrats!!!! Good to know they’ve started reviewing apps already! Was the email from the OT Department? And if you don’t mind, could you share your stats?

Thank you!! And yeah, sure! I submitted my app mid-September. I think if you submitted early Oct. you should be hearing soon too :)

STATS:
Cumulative GPA (last 60): 3.9
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Observation/Volunteer Hours (the hours I submitted through evaluation forms):
-204 peds
-40 neuro
-1200 hand therapy
-58 feeding the homeless
-26 adult day program
Letters of Rec: 2 OTs, 1 professor, 1 professional
GRE: V:155, Q:153 Writing: 4.0

Last edited:
Yeah, sure! Just keep in mind that I submitted my app as early as I could, so I think that's why they might've gotten back to me sooner. I submitted my app mid-September. I think if you submitted early Oct. you should be hearing soon :)

STATS:
Cumulative GPA (last 60): 3.9
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Observation/Volunteer Hours (the hours I submitted through evaluation forms):
-204 peds
-40 neuro
-1200 hand therapy
-58 feeding the homeless
-26 adult day program
Letters of Rec: 2 OTs, 1 professor, 1 professional
GRE: V:155, Q:153 Writing: 4.0

Wow you have great stats and so many observation hours!! Congrats again, and thank you for sharing :)

I’m super nervous because I also submitted OTCAS in September and sent in my mail-in packet the last week of September. I’m hoping I’ll hear back soon as well because SJSU is my first choice what time did you receive your acceptance last night?

Wow you have great stats and so many observation hours!! Congrats again, and thank you for sharing :)

I’m super nervous because I also submitted OTCAS in September and sent in my mail-in packet the last week of September. I’m hoping I’ll hear back soon as well because SJSU is my first choice what time did you receive your acceptance last night?
Thanks so much. I can't wait to meet you! You got this. It's just a matter of time until they reach out to you :). Oh sorry, I realized I didn't answer one of your questions. I received an email Sunday night around 10:30 pm from Dr. Gigi Smith. Really unexpected lol.

Guys 😭 I got the acceptance email about an hour ago. I hope you guys got yours too!
Omg!! Congratulations!! So excited for you!!! Thanks for sharing your amazing stats, hopefully we all hear back soon!!

Congrats on your acceptances you guys! Do you know how many students they're hoping to accept for the first cohort? Also, have you all taken neuroanatomy already? I wasn't going to apply until I noticed they extended their deadline, and neuroanatomy is the last prereq I would need! Are we able to take it over the summer at SJSU?

Congrats on your acceptances you guys! Do you know how many students they're hoping to accept for the first cohort? Also, have you all taken neuroanatomy already? I wasn't going to apply until I noticed they extended their deadline, and neuroanatomy is the last prereq I would need! Are we able to take it over the summer at SJSU?
I’m not too sure, but I hear each cohort is roughly about 75-80 students. I haven’t taken my neuroanatomy course yet! I was waiting to see if I would get into SJSU before I made that decision. Yes they have a neuroanatomy course available during the summer and their website says registration for this course begins in April.

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! That is amazing! I’m planning on applying next cycle and would love to hear what you think made you stand out as an applicant as well as your stats (GPA, GRE, obs hour #)! I’m also curious to know if most applicants are from CA? Thanks!

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! That is amazing! I’m planning on applying next cycle and would love to hear what you think made you stand out as an applicant as well as your stats (GPA, GRE, obs hour #)! I’m also curious to know if most applicants are from CA? Thanks!
I'm not completely sure what made me stand out but I know timing is key. Try to get all your materials at the dept. Oct 1st since they are on rolling submissions. I think it's also important to have observation hours from different settings. Lastly, I think a thoughtfully written personal statement is crucial as well (according to the SJSU MSOT website) since they don't hold any interviews. I'm not sure if most applicants are from CA, but I am (bay area). Good luck with your application :)!

Omg!!! I am literally crying it’s been such a long and tough journey. I received my conditional acceptance this morning 😭 Hope everyone hears back also!!!

• Love
Omg!!! I am literally crying it’s been such a long and tough journey. I received my conditional acceptance this morning 😭 Hope everyone hears back also!!!
Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you!! Are you going to confirm your seat? If so, can't wait to meet you :)

• Love
Omg!!! I am literally crying it’s been such a long and tough journey. I received my conditional acceptance this morning Hope everyone hears back also!!!

omg congrats!!! this is so exciting! when was your application time stamped? still anxiously waiting :/

Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you!! Are you going to confirm your seat? If so, can't wait to meet you :)
Thank you so much!! Yes, I have officially confirmed my seat this morning! I am so excited for this journey ahead of us and I cannot wait to meet you!!

omg congrats!!! this is so exciting! when was your application time stamped? still anxiously waiting :/
Thank you so much!! My application was stamped 10/1! Hang in there!! Looks like they are rolling out 10/1 applications, best of luck to you! You got this!! :)

omg guys!!! I just got my conditional acceptance email too about an hour ago 🥹🥹 I really appreciate all your guys support on this thread and i’m still in shock rn

• Love
omg guys!!! I just got my conditional acceptance email too about an hour ago 🥹🥹 I really appreciate all your guys support on this thread and i’m still in shock rn
Ahh congrats! So excited for you! 🥲 from support buddies on SDN to support buddies in grad school 😄? are you confirming your seat at SJSU? I saw you got into csudh also!

Congratulations! May I ask when you submitted apps? And if I'm correct, SJ doesn't require an interview right? Anxiously waiting...

Ahh congrats! So excited for you! 🥲 from support buddies on SDN to support buddies in grad school ? are you confirming your seat at SJSU? I saw you got into csudh also!

I did confirm my seat!! I’m from the bay area, so I was definitely leaning towards SJSU’s program from the start, although I also really liked CSUDH’s program and their faculty as well, so it is tough!

Congratulations! May I ask when you submitted apps? And if I'm correct, SJ doesn't require an interview right? Anxiously waiting...

Thank you so much! I also submitted my application time stamped 10/1, and you’re correct, no interviews for them! Good luck, I’m rooting for you and hoping you hear back soon as well!!

Hi everyone! I have just a quick question to those who have already been accepted into the MSOT program, did you already submit your transcripts through GAPE? If so, how did you do that? In my Student Center it says my application is "incomplete" because transcripts aren't submitted but I'm not sure how to do so. I also am completing two prerequisites within the next two weeks and still need to take Physiology next semester.

Hi everyone! I have just a quick question to those who have already been accepted into the MSOT program, did you already submit your transcripts through GAPE? If so, how did you do that? In my Student Center it says my application is "incomplete" because transcripts aren't submitted but I'm not sure how to do so. I also am completing two prerequisites within the next two weeks and still need to take Physiology next semester.
You only need to submit transcripts for classes you’ve already finished so far and submit transcripts for the remaining classes later on when you complete them. For my schools I went on my school’s website to order my transcript and had it electronically delivered to [email protected]

Hey guys! I got my acceptance yesterday at around 4:45 pm! Definitely surprised to hear back so early (I was time stamped 10/11). I don’t have nearly as many observation hours as others i’ve seen post on these threads so if you also have less hours hopefully this gives you some hope! :)

P.s for those accepted: has anyone started a facebook group yet? Can’t wait to meet you guys!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I got my acceptance yesterday at around 4:45 pm! Definitely surprised to hear back so early (I was time stamped 10/11). I don’t have nearly as many observation hours as others i’ve seen post on these threads so if you also have less hours hopefully this gives you some hope! :)

P.s for those accepted: has anyone started a facebook group yet? Can’t wait to meet you guys!!!
Congrats!!! Can’t excited to meet you too 🙂 I haven’t seen one yet! Not sure if a student usually starts one or if the grad assistant does 😅 it’ll be nice to have though!

Has anyone taken the neuroanatomy prerequisite yet and have a suggestion for a somewhat cheap school to take it at? I know SJSU is like $1300 😞

Out of curiosity, how many observation hours did you have?

Has anyone taken the neuroanatomy prerequisite yet and have a suggestion for a somewhat cheap school to take it at? I know SJSU is like $1300

I haven’t taken it yet either! I know the UCLA extension offers it online for $845 though, which is still expensive much better than $1300 haha. I know they offer it every spring and fall quarter, so the next session would be this April I believe! I think I may register for that later.

Out of curiosity, how many observation hours did you have?
I had like 25 hours observing a hand therapist and 55 hours observing an inpatient OT. Had other hours at an internship (not directly OT related) and like 30 hours doing like general volunteering in an outpatient rehab center. But as far as actual observation hours just the 80 combined hand therapy and inpatient. Hope this helps!

I haven’t taken it yet either! I know the UCLA extension offers it online for $845 though, which is still expensive much better than $1300 haha. I know they offer it every spring and fall quarter, so the next session would be this April I believe! I think I may register for that later.
Ahh okay, thank you! I had UCLA in mind but just wasn’t sure if there were any classes cheaper out there 😅. In the grand scheme of things taking that class as a prereq for SJSU is still a lot cheaper than going to a private program lol