Medical Should I send a letter of intent - and mention its my only interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Okay, I have a general feeling of how you guys feel about these things. I get adcoms are busy and don't want to hear this BS from most students who are desperate to get in. Should I sent a LOI especially if it really is one of my top choices and I do sincerely plan on going if I get the A?

Also, would it be dumb to mention in the LOI that it was my only interview and I plan on attending if accepted?

Again, I understand how LOI can be negatively received and have read the "while you wait" article. I read Goro's anecdotal quote from adcoms. But in my specific case where I'm actually serious about the letter, would it be reasonable to send it if the school accepts them?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

If the school does not specifically state 'no LOIs' then it shouldn't hurt. At the very least it will make you feel like you've done everything in your power when it's all said and done.

I'm not sure you should mention that it is your only interview. I will let others chime in on that, but I would lean toward leaving that out.

I know it's difficult to perceive on your side, but on the other side, extra correspondence tends to be a little I guess on the obnoxious side. I feel awful saying that, but it's true. Our general feeling is "We have all the information we need to make our decision. Thank you, we don't need anything else."

The exception is updating schools or programs about legitimate updates/accomplishments to an app (especially if they were discussed on interview day). Again, a LOI shouldn't lower your chances, but it might not help a lot. However, it will make you feel better. At the very least, that's worth something.

Best of luck on your interview. Hopefully this will be a non-issue.

Reactions: 1 user
LOIs really are not effective for medical school admissions, though it could work with other graduate programs that have more intimate interactions with candidates.

You should ask about how the admissions office gauges interest if you wind up waitlisted. Do you get surveys asking of your continued interest, and could you update them then? Find out what the followup procedures are, but I would hold off with LOIs until you get to the CYMS process in spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless a school says "no updates/LOIs," it is unlikely to hurt and clearly it seems like it would help put your mind at ease that you did as much as you could. So if you'll sleep better at night, it's fine to send if they accept it.

I absolutely would not say that this is your only interview. Volunteering that information isn't going to help you.

Agree with above. I understand the desperation about saying "you've been my only interview" but that can open a whole can of worms about how that is perceived by the AdComs and frankly, they won't bat an eye or increase their consideration for you to be accepted with that statement.

How would you interpret an nonbinding contract from a desperate candidate?

If the school accepts them, and it makes you feel better, then sure, go ahead and send it.

Desperation is a terrible cologne, so DO NOT mention the only interview part.

Agree with @Mr.Smile12 that spring is now the best time for a LOI, especially since the loss of the multiple acceptance reports. Signaling that you're still interested around the time that waitlist movement is approaching (~April) is about the best you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.