RUSH Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys,

This is what admissions e-mailed me back. Just thought it would be informative for anyone who might have had similar questions. If you want the immunizations form, I'll forward it or you can e-mail them.

1. Orientation: Orientation will take place over three full days--September 3-5. The White Coat Ceremony will take place on the afternoon of September 5. The time has not yet been finalized.

2. Immunizations: Attached is a copy of our required immunization form. We will offer immunizations during orientation for students who are not up to date. If your immunizations are up to date, please fill out the form and send it--along with copies of actual lab results--directly to:
Lifetime Medical Associates
Attn: Dr. Jeremy Pripstein
Suite 215
1645 W. Jackson
Chicago, IL 60612
Questions about immunizations should also be sent directly to Dr. Pripstein at [email protected].

3. Transcripts: If you have not already done so, please request an official transcript be sent, from all schools you have attended, verifying classes taken and degrees earned, to:
Rush University, Office of the Registrar
Attn: Dan Weber
Suite 440
600 S. Paulina Street
Chicago, IL 60612

4. Computer Information: Rush does not require matriculating students to have their own computers and therefore does not mandate/recommend any particular type of computer. The Rush computer lab and library both have computer facilities for students. Should you choose to bring your own computer, Rush applications and computer use are currently supported with Windows XP and IE 6.x as the standard OS and browser in our domain.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone still looking, there's a M4 looking for a roommate in the South Loop. $1050 for your own bedroom and bath, which is a good deal for the area. Cable comes with the building, so only utilities are electric and internet. Building is pretty energy efficient. Here's the craiglist link: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/roo/764632919.html

If you don't have a car, there is a roosevelt bus that would pretty much take you roosevelt and ashland which is pretty close to school (5min walk?).

E-mail her if interested, [email protected].

Friend of a Friend looking for a Roommate:

I'm 31, and recently taking an Executive Director position at American Theater Company, finishing my last day today at Chicago Shakespeare. I live with my two cats, and I have a serious girlfriend (who is a doctor at U of C, in case you ever need a second opinion on that homework assignment :). I'm quiet, pretty clean, and I like to cook. My sister lived with me this last year, but will be studying abroad this next year (also a medical student).

About the apartment: It's a spacious and sunny two bedroom in Ukrainian Village/Wicker Park (address is below) with a sun room, living room, dining room, kitchen and shared bathroom. Heat is included in the rent, which totals out to $1300. I don't have cable, but would be happy to get that and split it. Electricity runs about $25. Same for cooking gas. The place is pretty well furnished, including a full-size digital piano and a Nintendo Wii, for those times when you aren't studying. Parking is fairly available on the street.

Michael Thomas Newberry
1100 N. Hoyne Avenue
Apt. 3
Chicago, IL 60622
[email protected]

A dress, skirt, or dress pants and a dress shirt are appropriate. I think most of the females in my class wore dresses, but it depends on what you feel like wearing...there is no rule about what you have to wear. They will tell you more about the white coat ceremony during orientation.

Congrats on getting into Rush!!

Does anybody know what appropriate attire for the white coat ceremony is for women? Like a suit, or a nice dress?

What section of the body do we study first at Rush?

I'm looking for some advice from current students. Have you found it helpful to have a personal computer on campus? Should I buy a new laptop?

Thanks

does rush have any computer related discounts?

The only one I have heard of is the standard Apple Educational Discount of $100 off a new computer.

Last edited:
The curriculum is not systems-based (though this is set to change eventually), so you'll follow through with the entire anatomy of the body over the course of two quarters. FYI, the first quarter of anatomy covers the back musculature, thorax/mediastina, abdomen, and pelvis/perineum, in that order. Yes, you should buy a laptop because of gratuitous wifi availability in the hospital. Any more questions about Rush, feel free to ask.

I don't think laptop is at all necessary but having a desktop will definitely be very helpful. Having said that, the computer labs are open 24/7 and are usually not full. If you do have a laptop, there is free wi-fi throughout the Rush buildings. I currently own a laptop and rarely use it during school.

I'm looking for some advice from current students. Have you found it helpful to have a personal computer on campus? Should I buy a new laptop?

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I worded my original post poorly. I was wondering which section of the body is covered first in our anatomy course. Sorry for the confusion, though I still got my question answered.

See you all soon

does rush have any computer related discounts?

Apple offers their 10% discount (or $100 off, it changes from time to time) and right now you can get a free ipod (well they give you money to buy an iPod).

Through Rush you get discounts at many places, not just computer retailers, through something called Perkspot. Right now you guys don't have Rush IDs so you can't make use of it .. but as jrock said you really don't need a laptop with you at all times, an old desktop will be fine. Or if you can do without internet in your apartment for a couple of weeks and use Rush's lab (open 24/7), you can wait until you're registered at Rush and have a perkspot login to buy a computer through there.

I know you can get decent discounts at Lenovo (10%, sometimes up to 15 and 20% if you combine with some coupons at slickdeals.net).

Not sure if it's available through one of those links, but can we get Microsoft Office or Vista upgrades for cheaper? I went to the bookstore but the guy quoted me ridiculous prices that he claimed to have student discounts built in.

I was pretty set on getting a Dell but the shipping dates are forever. Are Lenovo's good?

Also, does Rush set up podcast type things for the lectures or would we have to do that ourselves?

Not sure if it's available through one of those links, but can we get Microsoft Office or Vista upgrades for cheaper? I went to the bookstore but the guy quoted me ridiculous prices that he claimed to have student discounts built in.

I was pretty set on getting a Dell but the shipping dates are forever. Are Lenovo's good?

Also, does Rush set up podcast type things for the lectures or would we have to do that ourselves?

Tiki if you're looking for Office 2007 for PC then wait it out a couple more weeks and you can get Office 2007 Ultimate Edition (that's everything!) for $60 (+ $3 or $4 for other fees). Microsoft ran this promotion (The Ultimate Steal) for the first time (in the U.S.) last year and I and a few of my classmates took advantage of it. I say a few weeks because you'll need your Rush e-mail. Or if your undergrad's e-mail is still working you can use that too.

I only use Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. I installed Publisher but haven't had to use it. I have Vista and Office 2007 and I love 'em both.

As for Vista .. no siginificant discounts there, sorry. But I recommend purchasing the OEM version from any reputable retailer like http://www.newegg.com. The OEM version is technically for people building their own systems (which is why I bought it) but I've installed it on my uncle's Macbook Pro and it worked fine, just one hiccup but he called Microsoft and got it cleared up. The downside w/ OEM is once you install it on a particular computer you cannot install it on any other computer (if you ever switch computers) .. it's tied to that PC (or Mac).

Some classes are recorded, but not all. It depends on the teacher. Also the recorderings are done by your classmates in coordination w/ RMStudents ... we'll get that stuff squared away after the first month or so. So for the first month you may not have any lectures recorded, but then after whatever classes are OK with it (usually Anatomy and Physiology), you get recordings of the audio and most times a motion screen capture of their powerpoint.

Or if your undergrad's e-mail is still working you can use that too.

As for Vista .. no siginificant discounts there, sorry. But I recommend purchasing the OEM version from any reputable retailer like http://www.newegg.com. The OEM version is technically for people building their own systems (which is why I bought it) but I've installed it on my uncle's Macbook Pro and it worked fine, just one hiccup but he called Microsoft and got it cleared up. The downside w/ OEM is once you install it on a particular computer you cannot install it on any other computer (if you ever switch computers) .. it's tied to that PC (or Mac).

Well I forgot 2 things..

1. it's better if you wait to use the Rush e-mail system for the Ultimate Steal deal because the people at Ultimate Steal can at any point ask for proof that you're a full time student at the institution whose e-mail you used to buy the software, which for you will be Rush
  2. I just noticed that starting Sept 8 the Ultimate Steal deal will include Windows Vista Ultimate (upgrade)! That's amazing, I didn't know they were going to do that. It's at a low price of $70. I might buy this, I'm still debating whether to move on to 64-bit Vista or just upgrade my Home Premium to Ultimate.

I wrote this as a private message to one of your classmates a few months ago but I figured it should be here too, these are the books you will need for the first quarter for school (and sometimes they carry over to the 2nd):

Keep in mind that at some point during the first two weeks of school AMSA (american medical students association) will have a book sale where you can find some bargains. I actually found a brand new Netter's for a decent price, but that was pure luck. You can also usually get a Netter's for free if you sign up for the AMSA credit card but I hate signing up for cards, I already have enough, so I didn't take that deal.

Okay so the classes you'll take over the fall quarter are: Anatomy (thorax/abdomen & pelvis/perineum), Histology, Physiology (heart + kidney) and Intro To Patient.

The classes I highly recommend getting a book for are Anatomy and Histology. I also highly recommend into getting used books unless I specifically state otherwise.

Anatomy:

If you decide you want both the Drake book and Netter brand new, you can get them in 1 package at Amazon here. Also I realize that I just told you to get 3 books (and 1 set of flash cards perhaps?) for 1 class, but remember that you'll continue Anatomy into the 2nd quarter so you'll use these books for two quarters (and except for the Dissector, it's great to have these as reference!)

First quarter of school I relied completely on notes and passed Anatomy fine. 2nd quarter ("Winter") I started using Gray's for more than just the pictures (as in I actually read each page) and it was so much better than just sitting through the lectures (I know what you're thinking: duh!). See Dr. Thorp's lectures are so good they feel like Gray's has come alive .. but obviously there's so much in anatomy that there are little details she can't get to or she'll try to emphasize but it escapes your notice. I HIGHLY recommend reading this book. It's not easy, it's actually kind of boring, but my scores in Anatomy improved. I was above average in the first quarter but in the 2nd I was scoring above 90 on my written tests (which are the hard ones). And as you're reading them you should take notes .. it's hard to describe what format the notes should be in but maybe another time I can explain that part.

I honestly never used the dissector because they usually (usually!) explain how we're going into whatever we're doing for that day in lecture. Dr. Thorp (who you'll come to love) does a pretty good job of that. It's when the other lecturers take over that you may need the dissector's help, but often I would come to lab with knowledge of whatever we're cutting but not how we'll cut into it, and figure it out myself. They always tell you if there's something they really don't want you to cut.

*note: people also buy BRS books for Anatomy (BRS=Board Review Series, which are books divided by subject meant to help you review for boards of course) but I don't recommend them for anything except the sample questions in them. For this reason I recommend if you know someone who has bought a copy then just borrow it one night and take the sample test, or buy it really cheap (like for $5 or $10 dollars).

Histology:

Almost everything for the test is from the "syllabus" (class notes printed out for you). However the syllabus, in some sections, can leave much to be desired. For this reason it was nice to have the text book on hand (though not necessary to buy if you want to save money, you can find it in the library if you need to read more in depth) .. the book is Color Textbook of Histology by Gartner and Hiatt (I used the 2nd edition but there is a newer one, I had no problem myself).

I do highly recommend a Histology Atlas, specifically the one by Gartner and Hiatt. The atlas has sample pictures and idealized cartoons of what you'll be looking at which was really helpful. The textbook, as I said, gives details but all the test questions in the written portion will be from the syllabus/notes.

Intro to Patient

You can pass this class without the book, but I've been told by M2s that it's good to have the book on hand for the 2nd year. The book is Textbook of Physical Diagnosis by Mark H. Swartz (5th ed.) .. you don't really use it in the fall quarter, actually, but you'll probably want it later anyway and from what I hear you'll come back to it during the course of your career as a doctor! Other than describing how to converse and take histories and things like that, it also have detailed info on how to take a physical and what is normal and what is abnormal and so on and so forth.

I bought it brand new but it's so expensive, I recommend you buy this used. Since you don't really need it immediately (they'll give you reading assignments but you can actually get away with not reading the first few) you have time to search for used books.

Physiology (Heart + Kidney)

No books at all. This class is directed by Dr. Tom Shannon, who will probably be the most easy going and most accessible teacher you'll have in your first year. Dr. Shannon says over and over that his questions for the exam will come from the syllabus and only the syllabus. And it's true! I know people who honored the class on the syllabus alone.

However it may help to have the BRS for this class. I used it when it came time for exams because it had sample questions which were pretty good. But it's not necessary because he usually provides 2 or 3 sample exams himself. Again buy used!

Very nice informative post. One point of correction, however: it seems that the Netters atlas will be supplanted by this title for the coming year. Not sure if the AMSA incentive will reflect this change though.