RUSH Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPM22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start hearing from people who has been accepted to RUSH, class of 2012! Congratulations to all. The first letters are out. We can start talking about the pros and cons about the school. Let's get more Rush students to use SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

Got my letter today from Dr. Deutsch. I am so excited!!

The small envelope made my stomach drop but all worked out! A single sheet of paper with a great message. (I interviewed on 10/24 and live in the Chicago area.)

now... SLU or Rush??

I have some thinking to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, the small envelope was weird but they did tell us that the letter is one single sheet of paper, regardless of the outcome...
deciding will be tough. i am trying to remember all the pros and cons from the interview day... good luck deciding!

I interviewed at Rush 10/31/07. Anybody from that interview date get a letter yet?

Im still waiting. I interviewed with you on the 31st and have not heard anything yet. This wait is killer.. Should be here soon though.

Hi all. Congratulations if you've been accepted to Rush already. I'm an M1 and part of a group called RMstudents. We're very interested in promoting technology in our education at Rush. For example, our group worked with the administration to start video-taping our lectures to put online so students can use them to review. We also redid our website recently, which is very exciting for us and (we hope) the rest of the students. If you're looking into our school, and you'd like to see a little bit of what's going on at Rush (at least from a student's perspective) check us out:
http://rmstudents.com

You won't be able to create an account or comment on anything until you're actually a student (with a Rush email address), but I thought some people might like to browse. Students are still getting used to using the website, but it's catching on to the point that by the time you guys get here next year, it will be a happenin' place :hardy:

If you have any questions about the site or our group, feel free to PM me.

Jonathan

Rush's letter came in today... but it went to my old address cuz I moved just a couple weeks ago. My roommie got the lettter from Rush and he asked if i wanted him to open it and I told him I'd have to deliberate before I ask him to open it for me or not. If not, I'll go back downtown to open the letter myself (I only moved 40 minutes away from downtown). What should I do, ask my roommie to open it or do it myself?

Jonathan,

Thank you for the effort your group is putting into integrating technology into the Rush curriculum. I stumbled across the new rmstudents.com last week and was very impressed. Hearing now about the video taped recordings and the growing momentum of your efforts really excites me about Rush even more! I can't wait until September '08!

No problem. It's very much a group effort. My efforts are mainly focused on the website, since web design is a hobby of mine. But I'm also very excited with how receptive the administration has been in integrating more technology into the curriculum. We're just trying to steer them in the right direction as to where the technology would be most beneficial. Things should be really interesting by the time your class gets here. Anyways, see you in the Fall!

Last edited:
we aren't falling off the first page!

Where are all the Rush people?

I recently got an interview invite to Rush, and will be interviewing there in Jan. Is this considered "late" in the cycle to be interviewing? Im hoping there are a decent amount of spots still available in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my letter today, it was probably the best late Christmas present. This will make next semester far less stressful.

To get back to the OP's hopes for this thread, what are some of the cons to Rush? I have a long mix of personal and objective pros... but there has to be another side to this shiny new coin...

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hey

I am also starting at Rush Med this fall and was wondering is there anyone here who is apt hunting? I am already at Rush and looking for room mate.

I'm an M1 at Rush, so I can try to give you some cons. Remember, what you read on the internet could be drastically different from your personal experience - take everything with a grain of salt. That said, there are a few things about Rush that I don't love. The technology is pretty bad. I'm sure you've experienced the less-than-stellar website. It's pretty indicative of the computer lab, and the student email account is the worst I've ever seen, and I thought my undergrad's was the worst out there. Nope, Rush has that beat. Our class is also pretty homogeneous. It's definitely not representative of the population in Chicago, and I miss the diversity of my undergrad at times. If you're obsessed with rankings, Rush doesn't do well there either because there's no real university behind the med school to get vast NIH funding for a huge research effort, and I believe we're not on the top 50 list for primary care either. I think rankings are bunk, especially for the majority of med students who aren't set on doing research.

I personally love Rush. I'm really happy here and glad I chose it. The only other alternative I wish I would have considered is an inexpensive state school, i.e. those in TX. I didn't feel that the cost difference between UIC and Rush was big enough to justify UIC for me.

Last edited:
I recently got an interview invite to Rush, and will be interviewing there in Jan. Is this considered "late" in the cycle to be interviewing? Im hoping there are a decent amount of spots still available in the class.

Hi everyone I'm an M1 along with Jonathan at Rush (class of 2011). My name is Usama but my fellow M1s have taken to calling me "fresh" (long story).

Anyway to answer your question Dave501, I interviewed in February and I got in, so although it is later than everyone who interviewed back in November/December, there are spots!

Just a bit of background: I was set on going to UIC College of Medicine. I went to UIC for my undergrad and although it was big and impersonal (even the Honors College felt blah to me), I wanted to go to UIC-COM because of the cost, familiarity and friends. I was accepted at UIC-COM in November and put my deposit in and didn't care that I was getting rejections from Northwestern and Univ of Chicago and the like (I mean, I didn't really have a chance I think, didn't do any research because I don't like it).

Somehow I got an interview from Rush around February. Now I was happy going to UIC so I didn't want to go to this interview. Rush was more expensive and wasn't ranked especially high, you know? But my parents convinced me to go to the interview, and so I did, and it made all the difference. I loved the feeling I got from the students and the faculty. The whole "family" spiel actually seemed true here. When the day was over I was really hoping I got in. I did, and I went back on their 2nd look day (Rush and UIC had it on the same day, which was dumb, so I went to Rush's) and I was convinced.

In terms of price UIC and Rush aren't very different (over 4 years), but the level of contact with Rush faculty is very different. And I can't speak to the level of comradeship among UIC students (I have a few friends there but I don't get time to talk to them too much anymore) but I am pretty sure we've got them beat, and I'd like to think we've got a good many schools beat. Okay, maybe it's just a little bit of 2011 pride. But seriously, I love my fellow classmates (of course not everyone, there are a few I don't like, but out of 138 that's not bad!), and I'm really impressed with the admissions committee and how they're able to select such a diverse student body that still shares core values.

Our class is so helpful to each other, and friendly and, well I won't make this any longer because I've got mid-terms next week :( But to make it short, it's great here. And for the record I'm a Muslim and I don't drink alcohol and generally avoid the post-test/exam parties, but it hasn't hindered my social life at Rush at all.

Now there are some faculty, in some classes, who are not great teachers. What I mean is, they're willing to give you time and help you, but they aren't very good at explaining concepts/ideas. It's disappointing but I also think it's unavoidable, it's rare to be in a school that has all excellent teachers. For the most part you don't need to purchase books because the faculty/school prints out entire lecture notes for you in a series of binders/notebooks, but those teachers who aren't very good at explaining their particular topic/organ will also have poor lecture notes and so you'll need to use actual textbooks. But it's med school, so you should be prepared for that.

Never feel too shy to ask us M2s (well, we'll be M2s when you get there... if this mid-term goes well).

Also as was mentioned by PacoX, the technology at Rush lags. A lot of things are in their infancy (like video recording lectures) and other things just need to be updated. Although Histology uses computer slides (instead of microscopes) which is a great way to learn together, it wasn't until our class that these slides were made available to be streamed to outside access (off-school network).

But the faculty is helpful, as is the staff at student services. Medical school is hard enough, I'm grateful that the good people at Rush help us keep everything in order.

Okay I should really go, but I'll try to check this forum at least once every few days, so feel free to reply and/or ask any questions as they relate to the school itself. I probably couldn't answer much in the way of whether your interview was too late or too early, and how many spots Rush has and all that.

Got my letter of acceptance on 1/31 and interviewed 1/9! I'm still in shock that a school trusts me to become a doctor and wasn't expecting to hear from them so soon.

To be honest, I don't really remember the interview that well because I've had a whirlwind January traveling and was horribly sick, just hoping I would make it through the day. I remember I ate a bagel and the interviews, but not anything about the school/facilities. Can anyone refresh my memory? Anyone get in that interviewed the same day?

Hey all!
I just got an interview invite to Rush and I was all excited about it until I heard that last year's match list at Rush was abysmal and most students got theri 5th or 6th choice :eek: and many had to scramble....is this true??

Hey all!
I just got an interview invite to Rush and I was all excited about it until I heard that last year's match list at Rush was abysmal and most students got theri 5th or 6th choice :eek: and many had to scramble....is this true??

I actually did not hear about that. But you can probably e-mail the school and find out for yourself. More than a few were trying to match at Rush because they liked the school so much (or so they said to me when I interviewed last year). I know one of them, he's a first-year resident in Psychiatry, and he had to choose between Harvard and Rush. He chose Rush because he says he loves the place. Obviously that is just one man's opinion. E-mail the school.

[email protected]

I remember I ate a bagel and the interviews, but not anything about the school/facilities. Can anyone refresh my memory? Anyone get in that interviewed the same day?

As a student I can tell you our computer facilities leave much to be desired. Our lockers are tiny. If you choose to live in the Center Court apartments Rush has, they're decent. It doesn't always feel like a school, it feels like a school was added onto a hospital. Still, I love it here.

Just wanted to thank all the students posting on here to help give us more information about the school....I'm an OOS so I don't know a whole lot about the city or the school....I do have to agree with what was said about the students and faculty there...at least those I had contact with during my interview (I also stayed with an M1 the night before the interview)...the students all seemed very happy there and were genuinely cool people...as far as interview groups go too, I think Rush had the best group of interviewees that I have experienced, and would love to be classmates with many of these people...this fact, along with what I perceive to be great clinical opportunities are why I am holding definitely holding onto this acceptance...but I would love to hear more pros/cons!!

Just wanted to thank all the students posting on here to help give us more information about the school....I'm an OOS so I don't know a whole lot about the city or the school....I do have to agree with what was said about the students and faculty there...at least those I had contact with during my interview (I also stayed with an M1 the night before the interview)...the students all seemed very happy there and were genuinely cool people...as far as interview groups go too, I think Rush had the best group of interviewees that I have experienced, and would love to be classmates with many of these people...this fact, along with what I perceive to be great clinical opportunities are why I am holding definitely holding onto this acceptance...but I would love to hear more pros/cons!!

May I ask who you stayed with? I commute because I live in the city, but I'm too far to host interviewees. I wish I could but it wouldn't be practical for the interviewee. One night though I was at a friend's place in Center Court Gardens, playing the Gamecube or the Wii, I forget, and he was hosting two interviewees that night. This was over winter break, just after our finals I think.

I'm sorry, can you be more specific in regards to what pros/cons you're looking for? So far it sits like this:

Pros:
  • Faculty (nice, give you a lot of attention)
  • Administration (support you with everything from finding research opportunities, volunteer opportunities, Financial Aid stuff, religious requirements/needs)
  • Your Class! - Almost everyone is my class is awesome, must be related to Rush's procedure for accepting students
  • Hospital + School together, plus Cook County right there = relatively pain free rotations for most of your 3rd and 4th year (but there will be times when you may have to go further out, especially if you find a specific rotation somewhere else you want to do during electives)
  • related to the previous bullet point, Location. I love Chicago, I'm born and raised here. For OOS, especially those from warmer climates (like California and Florida), it does take a lot of adjustment. When you start the school year you've already got so much work and on top of that the days get shorter and colder. A friend in my class from California hates it here, but he doesn't live in the city, he's out somewhere in the suburb because his wife has a job out there, so he's missing what I think is the best part of Chicago: the city life! You can get some free time every week if you're on top of your work, and although Chicago in the winter can be tough, Chicago during the spring/summer is AWESOME.
Cons:
  • Cost. You're paying for all that support, and getting printed lecture notes for every class!
  • Technology. Apparently we're not paying for this? Rush is behind, and I don't know how much of a hurry they're in to move forward. I think a lot of their energy is going into the expansion (which is going to look amazing, but still this is important too)
  • Faculty (I know they're in the Pros, but some faculty aren't good at teaching.. they have the best of intentions but they're not just cut out for teaching)
  • cold winters? I like Chicago though

I'm pretty set on going to Rush this fall... I'm too excited and have major senioritis! Any tips on how to spend the last few months?

and do you guys really have no life? I'm very into sports/music...will I still have time for that?

Thanks for the info! I just sent my email for the student host program for my interview so I hope I can stay with someone :) I visited Chicago back in October and loved it. :love: Can't wait to come back! And just by looking at the US News, once you interview it looks like you have a pretty good chance of acceptance. Hope i can join you all on this list!

I'm pretty set on going to Rush this fall... I'm too excited and have major senioritis! Any tips on how to spend the last few months?

and do you guys really have no life? I'm very into sports/music...will I still have time for that?

Awesome! Glad to hear you'll be coming to Rush. I'm sure you'll love it here and the then-M2s will help in any way we can.

Last few months.. hm. Well I don't blame you for getting senioritis but end on a strong note, I don't believe it'll matter to Rush but further down the line you want to have that nice GPA that you've got right now.

I mostly worked the summer before school, and hung out with my friends A LOT. I also traveled a bit (around the U.S.). Dabbled in my hobbies (computers and whatnot). I'm glad I did because although traveling and doing all those other things are still possible, it sort of has to be scheduled you know? Like if I want to have dinner with a friend I first check my calendar. I'm not the type who keeps calendars and stuff, I like to do things spontaneously and whatnot, so I've had to adjust to that. Pretend it's your last summer, because if you do research or something after your first year of med school it may actually be your last summer!

Because you like sports and music I'd suggest joining a league or something like that but related to music. Are you an Illinois resident? I'd also suggest a visit to Chicago if you can afford it, especially if you would prefer your own apartment as opposed to living in the Rush Center Court apartments.

In short I don't have any tips for you other than do what you love doing. Consider it your last summer as a kid, free from any responsibilities.

As for whether or not you'll have time during medical school. You will, and as I said, if you're organized and plan things out you'll have more time to do the things you want to do. For example, the first quarter here (Fall) you'll have a ~13 week quarter (not including Thanksgiving break). For the most part if you stay on top of your work you can have a good amount of time free on weekends. When mid-terms roll around half-way through the quarter, I'd say the two weekends before mid-terms you'll probably want to study/review as much as possible. Then after mid-terms you can "relax" again and use your free time to yourself... then when finals come creeping you'll again want to devote most of your free time to study. So there are periods, about 2 weeks long, where you'll just be reading/reviewing/studying, but other than that it's pretty OK.

Sports? We have a football and softball tournaments (M1s and M2s each make their own team, sometimes if there's a lot of interest in it, like our class, we had 2 teams to represent the M1 class). Softball won't happen until Spring but football started like a week after school starts for you guys. Aside from that we don't have any group sports activities really, but I know we have a lot of runners and in general people who work out and stay in shape, and they get their regular runs and work outs in. The only time that's affected is again, during or around mid-term or finals.

Music? Actually I think this is new this year, but a few of the students have come together to have a recital or something. I'm not sure about the details, sorry, but I can try and find out more if you want. Basically anyone with musical talent is being asked to participate, and it's not a medical school only thing. As you may know Rush has an excellent nursing school and other health-related schools so I believe students from those schools will also be participating.

This spring quarter has been tough, as they extended Winter vacation from 2 weeks to 3 weeks, and I think they took some time out form our Winter quarter (Jan-March), so it's only like 11 weeks, and so after 4 weeks we had mid-terms. I haven't see my friends (by friends I mean those outside of school) much this quarter but it wasn't like I never saw them.

Oh and I should add, I do work part-time, like 8 hours a week, sometimes only 4 hours a week. I still volunteer in clinics and what not. I'm not a phenomenal student, but I did honor 1 class last quarter (barely, though).

Hey everyone-

I was a pretty active member of the Rush Class of 2011 thread, so i thought I would just offer anyone who has any questions about anything (and hasn't already gotten enough information) additional advice. Feel free to PM me.

Good luck in your decisions / interviews / etc.

Hey all!

Is this true? Where is the proof?

Thanks Fresh! I stayed with an M1 named Ross (i forget his last name)...I know he went to Emory for undergrad...your list of pros/cons are definitely helpful...I'm from Michigan, so I'm not terribly worried about the weather, so I'm safe on that one!!...the rest are mostly what I figured...truthfully I really like the school, students, and faculty...and it sounds like there are great volunteer and research opportunities too which are both important to me...and lastly, I love Chicago too...I think if I could ignore costs I would be set on going there....but I'm waiting to see what financial aid looks like b/c I'm afraid when I begin comparing a public state school to Rush I'm not going to be able to justify the possible large difference in cost even if I may like it better:(

Is this true? Where is the proof?

Bottom line: If you're a good candidate for a residency you want (having good course grades, clinical grades, competitive board scores, etc.), you will get the residency you want.

I don't know where you got this information, but I would LOVE to see it. It is simply wrong.

Bottom line: If you're a good candidate for a residency you want (having good course grades, clinical grades, competitive board scores, etc.), you will get the residency you want.

I don't know where you got this information, but I would LOVE to see it. It is simply wrong.

I really really hope it's wrong! but one of the SDN mods who lives in Chicago told me this. Maybe they were misinformed!

I absolutely love Rush! it is my first choice...i interviewed there about three weeks ago. does anyone know how long it takes for them to send out the desicion? the wait is impossible, they told us 3-6 wks and i am hoping i hear from them sooner than later cause I heard from my second choice and i have to make a decision in 5 days :scared:

I absolutely love Rush! it is my first choice...i interviewed there about three weeks ago. does anyone know how long it takes for them to send out the desicion? the wait is impossible, they told us 3-6 wks and i am hoping i hear from them sooner than later cause I heard from my second choice and i have to make a decision in 5 days :scared:

Why would you have to make a decision in 5 days??? The majority of programs are on the may 15th decision...with a needing decisions in april b/c of earlier start times...never heard of a mid february deadline...anyway...unless things have changed, Rush made me wait about the whole six week period...interview early november (first week), heard back early december (around the 14th or so)

Yeah, that's strange, why would you have to make a decision in 5 days? I mean I interviewed at a school (MCW) and when I was accepted they wanted a YES/NO in 1 week, but really what they wanted was a $100 deposit for the seat in 7 days. Send the check, it's refundable (at least with Allopathic schools I know it is) and you'll have that seat, since it is your 2nd choice and you'd go there if in the event you don't get into Rush. Send the check tomorrow, ASAP. Then wait on Rush. If you get into Rush call your 2nd choice and tell them you won't be needing the seat and they'll send you a check of equal amount back.

cost wise is it cheaper to live at center court or to just find a place in the city. I have some friends moving to chicago after we all graduate, but my main concern is price, the commute i don't mind cause i have faith in chicago public transportation...for the most part.

cost wise is it cheaper to live at center court or to just find a place in the city. I have some friends moving to chicago after we all graduate, but my main concern is price, the commute i don't mind cause i have faith in chicago public transportation...for the most part.

CTA's been going downhill as of late. I think recent "golden age" was back when I was in high school.

I'll have to talk to some people but I can get back to you. I want to say it's cheaper finding a place in the city, assuming you've got a roommate. So if you're going to be living with your friends that'd be good. If you don't mind spending long hours at school it should be fine. If you're living with friends they'll have their own schedule and you may not be able to get as much studying there as you would like, and so you'll end up going to a library or hanging out at Rush. You'll be here anyway for anatomy and histology that first quarter.

Also if you really want to have a part of your life separate from med school then you'll want to live "off-campus," it won't hurt your ability to make friends/socialize. Still there is that advantage of living w/ your classmates and near M2s and whatnot. I'll try to get back to you on specific prices though. In the mean time, were you going to live with your friends?

Hey everyone, another M1 pitching in. If you're looking for an apartment, the Chicago Reader's classifieds are your friends. I live in Wicker Park, which (sans car) takes me about 30-40 minutes to get to class, which only sucks if I have a gap between classes and tutoring or a meeting. Still, that's what Starbucks/library/Au Bon Pain are for.

Things I like:
Really open, approachable faculty that seems to extend to hospital employees. I've had a few shadowing opportunities that have come up from simply asking, and everyone has been really great about it. Some of the attendings are particularly good teachers who scale down to my meager M1 level of medical knowledge.

Complete syllabi/class notes are the gold standard. They are amazing when they're well constructed, so much so that I am very much spoiled when a poorly made one comes along (RESPIRATORY!).

All of our classmates are at least friendly (usually very friendly). There's no one I would go out of my way to avoid sitting next to or making conversation with.

Tons of great volunteering/community service opportunities. Get involved, it does so much good for you.

About one week out of the month will have free food. Hope you like pizza.

Things I don't like:
Facilities, as a rule, suck. No gym, crappy computers. Decent lecture halls, though.

As a more "traditional" curriculum i.e. basic sciences, then clinical stuff, I get pretty discouraged when I feel like I'm lost in the trees and unable to see the forest. By that I mean that I'm sick of detail oriented courses that I know I'll never remember in a year and would like to see a bit more of why it matters when I actually become a doctor. However, they are converting the curriculum for class of ~2013, and shadowing/volunteering really helps remind me of why I want to do this.

It definitely feels more like a hospital than a university, somewhat cold and (haha) sterile at times or certain locations. When I interviewed I liked this, but as time goes on I miss having a quad in the vicinity, or political science wonks to chat with.

They make us do a preceptorship for the first two years of our schooling, and from what I can tell it's pretty hit or miss depending on where you have to travel to and who the preceptor is. Mine is a solid whiff on both counts–I have to go 30 miles out of the city (without a car!) to shadow a really terrible family practice doctor who treats me like office staff. At least it's only twice a quarter.

I think anything else love/hate wise would be pretty consistent across medical schools. Feel free to contact me with questions, but I rarely come to this site anymore.

Things I like:
Really open, approachable faculty that seems to extend to hospital employees. I've had a few shadowing opportunities that have come up from simply asking, and everyone has been really great about it. Some of the attendings are particularly good teachers who scale down to my meager M1 level of medical knowledge.

Complete syllabi/class notes are the gold standard. They are amazing when they're well constructed, so much so that I am very much spoiled when a poorly made one comes along (RESPIRATORY!).

All of our classmates are at least friendly (usually very friendly). There's no one I would go out of my way to avoid sitting next to or making conversation with.

Tons of great volunteering/community service opportunities. Get involved, it does so much good for you.

About one week out of the month will have free food. Hope you like pizza.

Things I don't like:
Facilities, as a rule, suck. No gym, crappy computers. Decent lecture halls, though.

...but as time goes on I miss having a quad in the vicinity, or political science wonks to chat with.

I agree with all of that. Especially the last part. I mean there are other schools at Rush and you can meet them at events, but they're busy too so it's rare. I went to UIC for undergrad so I still have contact w/ people there and a life there, so it's not so bad for me, but in that respect, it's true, you're a bit isolated from the other schools in the area.

I haven't looked at this site since I was interviewing...I love procrastinating!

Way cheaper living in the city...Wicker Park is cool, but I say PILSEN! Its dank cheap and right next to Rush (one stop on the train), plus its the best mexican food in the city.

CTA is the way to get around, forget about the slowness, just talk to some weirdos and the time will fly by.

Word.

Got my letter today from Dr. Deutsch. I am so excited!!

The small envelope made my stomach drop but all worked out! A single sheet of paper with a great message. (I interviewed on 10/24 and live in the Chicago area.)

now... SLU or Rush??

I have some thinking to do.

hey, congrats to those with interviews and acceptances.

I'm interviewing at RUsh on 2/27, but already accepted at Temple. I finally decided to take the RUsh interview, but not sure if what I'll find will be any more spectacular than Temple. On website both seem similar in what they offer students. I'm just going to the interview to check out the area and attitude of school and ability to *travel* for summers and rotations... Anyone else been to temple? have any ideas? :idea:

thanks - tejal

Is Pilsen dangerous? A friend of mine was teaching at a low-income private school and gangs were a big problem. Otherwise, it seems like a cool neighborhood, especially since I am a Mexican food addict (I'm from Texas).

How long does it take you to get to school on public transport/driving?

Do any of you use UIC's gym and is it good? How much does it cost and is it convenient to get there?

I haven't looked at this site since I was interviewing...I love procrastinating!

Way cheaper living in the city...Wicker Park is cool, but I say PILSEN! Its dank cheap and right next to Rush (one stop on the train), plus its the best mexican food in the city.

CTA is the way to get around, forget about the slowness, just talk to some weirdos and the time will fly by.

Word.

These are the words of a madman who knows no fear. You should see this man's incredible testicular fortitude.

That comment is completely unrelated to Pilsen. Seriously, the free clinic I'm on the steering committee for just relocated from there primarily because it's become so gentrified.

How is the class schedule like? 8-12? all day? is it manageable? Thanks!

when i interviewed there they said they make changes every year. From what I heard the class schedule is very in-class focused...this could be a good or bad thing depending on how you learn

On website both seem similar in what they offer students. I'm just going to the interview to check out the area and attitude of school and ability to *travel* for summers and rotations... Anyone else been to temple? have any ideas? :idea:

thanks - tejal

Sorry, have no idea what Temple is like. I'm glad you decided to take the interview. I think the thing we can impress you with most is our friendliness, how much the students love being here and love the support of the faculty. In terms of facilities Rush isn't any better than other school, in fact we do lack in a few things (see above posts for Pros/Cons, especially regarding technology).

Is Pilsen dangerous? A friend of mine was teaching at a low-income private school and gangs were a big problem. Otherwise, it seems like a cool neighborhood, especially since I am a Mexican food addict (I'm from Texas).

How long does it take you to get to school on public transport/driving?

ArgaWarga took care of this one but just wanted to repeat him and say that yes, it's become gentrified in some places, quite a bit, and so it's become safer. There are some areas which are not gentrified, but I wouldn't say that they're necessarily dangerous either. If you live in Pilsen and drive it won't take you more than 15min once you learn the shortcuts and which roads to avoid (rush hour). Public transport, I'd put the commute at around the same time, maybe a little longer.

I don't know if this will be offered next year but for now Rush has a deal with Teamsters and has secured parking for students at the low rate of $1/month. So w/ $12 I've paid my entire year's parking fees. The Teamster's lot is a mere 6-8min walk from Rush (or at least the part of Rush you'll be going to), and that's if I move at leisurely pace.

Do any of you use UIC's gym and is it good? How much does it cost and is it convenient to get there?

UIC has 2 gyms, one on the west side and one on the east side. The west side gym is the one that's closest to us, and I'm not sure if buying membership in one gym means you have access to both or not. The East side is newer and in a few ways, better. Still the West side gym will meet your needs, I think. You have the usual weight machines and the treadmills and ellipticals, as well as a short running track, basketball court, racquetball court. There's a juice bar.. and I forget what else if anything.

Here's the website for the gym.
As for cost... I don't have membership myself but I think someone said it was $350 annually. Which is good.. it's not as cheap as what UIC students pay ($315) but better than what an alumni would pay ($400). I can find out for you by Monday evening what they're actually charging us.

As for proximity to Rush, it's no more than a 5min walk from Rush. Problem is it's in the opposite direction of the Center Court apartments, so after you're done you have to walk back to Rush and then walk to your apartments. Still this isn't always a bad thing, as that longer walk may force you to go to Rush and study? But in between Rush and the gym there's a Pink (and sometimes Blue) line stop (Polk) and so if you don't live in Center Court and need to leave the area, you're close to a stop.

How is the class schedule like? 8-12? all day? is it manageable? Thanks!

No, not 8-12. It's definitely 9-5. You must treat it like a job. You get an hour for lunch. It's manageable, but I won't lie to you: there are periods where I just come in at 10 or 11am or leave early. Rush realizes they have us in class for a long time and they've been trying to incorporate "self-study" hours where you're responsible for learning certain material on your own. Still you should know that when we have anatomy the lecture hall is FULL, and during biochem there are barely 50 students (out of a total of 138). And I know some of my classmates almost never come to class, as they have the discipline to read and learn everything on their own.

So for some classes you do want to be in lecture (anatomy, for example), but others (like 1st quarter Physio, or biochem) you can be fine if you don't go.

hey, congrats to those with interviews and acceptances.

I'm interviewing at RUsh on 2/27, but already accepted at Temple. I finally decided to take the RUsh interview, but not sure if what I'll find will be any more spectacular than Temple. On website both seem similar in what they offer students. I'm just going to the interview to check out the area and attitude of school and ability to *travel* for summers and rotations... Anyone else been to temple? have any ideas? :idea:

thanks - tejal

One more thing, I just saw the other thread and how you (MMdoM) were worried about lack of patient contact in the first 2 years. I know some schools are changing, for instance UIC has more patient contact in the first 2 years than Rush does. That was one of the reasons why I was debating between UIC and Rush.

Rush assigns you to a preceptor (a doctor who you will follow around in his/her office) to whom you report to monthly for 4-5 hours. This is Rush's attempt at giving you an idea of what primary care is like as well as giving you patient contact in your first year. Some preceptors only let you take blood pressures, others let you do that and take a history (oh and we're taught how to take a basic history in our first quarter), and some preceptors let you do a whole lot more! (like procedures!)

M2s have days where they go to Rush's hospital (attached to our building) to see patients and take history and get vital signs and a basic assessment

This is fine with me actually, because we have so much basic science to learn anyway. They sort of sprinkle patient contact throughout the first 2 years so we're not complete robots and have some skill in doing a physical exam and taking a history.

BUT, you should know that just because Rush hasn't outlined specific hours for patient contact doesn't mean you can't have patient contact on your own time. If you get involved in Rush's volunteer groups (and there are many!) you'll get more patient contact. I volunteer at a student-run clinic on the North side of Chicago where usually an M1 and an M2 see a patient together, get all the history and take the physical exam and then present their findings to an attending, who then goes into the room with them and sees the patient. (It sounds like it's all very smooth, but as may be typical some days the clinic's pretty crazy and everything gets backed up). Also this clinic has a huge South Asian patient population so I get to serve as translator too.

But there are many organizations that serve a variety of neighborhoods (including a mobile van that serves the homeless, which I love and hate because I think it's a great thing but everyone wanted it so I couldn't get on that committee).

So there is some patient contact in the curriculum, but if you really want it there are opportunities for you to do it on your own time.

listentofresh, i hope i have as much time as you as an M1. thanks for all the detailed and helpful answers!

and to anyone who can respond, why is bad technology such a con? i did interview at places that had better technology, but i don't really understand how not having it will get in the way of my education. from what i know, i will just need e-mail, decent histology slides/pictures, and maybe a recorder for class. am i missing something?

also, does rush have practice patients and do you ever do things like get videotapes of your patient interaction for critique? i guess in that sense technology would be highly beneficial.