Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When is the last day students can withdraw from a school and what day do they start contacting wait-list students? I cant seem to find this info online.

Members don't see this ad.

Yah know, I'm unsure when the date is for DO schools. You hear the date for MD schools thrown around constantly (May 15th), but I'm unsure when exactly when the movement begins for just DO schools. There will be movement on the 15th though.

As for the waitlist movement at Rowan. They just finished interviewing recently and had their last meeting on April 25th presumably. They should have the waitlist ranked a week later. So hopefully this Friday. Ill probably call Monday so I don't bother them too much. Can't be easy to get it all ranked.

If anyone finds anything out id definitely love to hear too. As of right now, it's just exercising the same patience we have done since this started nearly a year ago. Whew. Good Luck everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
To update, I had my interview on 4/23, and as of today, 4/30, (accidentally posted previously that it was 3/23 due to lack of sleep and an excess of stress from finals) I got a letter and was placed on the alternate list. As others have mentioned, the list moves a lot and very fast throughout May (I was told this by admissions). I don't believe they have an actual ranked list yet since they are still giving out wait-list positions, but within a week they should. No news is good news.

For anyone waiting, I'd call by this time next week for an approximate rank of where you are on their list. It takes some type of zen-like patience to wait and see if you'll be accepted up until August, but that's all you can do! If you're in the area, Phillies tickets are starting to be dirt cheap, so that can keep you occupied ;).

For people wondering, I'd absolutely continue with a new application process for the Class of 2019. From what I have heard, if you have interviewed late in the previous cycle, you'll interview much earlier in the following cycle. Keep your head up! I have heard from multiple physicians I work with that they were originally waitlisted at the school they matriculated - one of them being my father at UMDNJ-SOM, as well as a couple others.

Finally, if anyone is looking to room in the Collingswood or Haddonfield area soon, message me.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
To update, I had my interview on 4/23, and as of today, 4/30, (accidentally posted previously that it was 3/23 due to lack of sleep and an excess of stress from finals) I got a letter and was placed on the alternate list. As others have mentioned, the list moves a lot and very fast throughout May (I was told this by admissions). I don't believe they have an actual ranked list yet since they are still giving out wait-list positions, but within a week they should. No news is good news.

For anyone waiting, I'd call by this time next week for an approximate rank of where you are on their list. It takes some type of zen-like patience to wait and see if you'll be accepted up until August, but that's all you can do! If you're in the area, Phillies tickets are starting to be dirt cheap, so that can keep you occupied ;).

For people wondering, I'd absolutely continue with a new application process for the Class of 2019. From what I have heard, if you have interviewed late in the previous cycle, you'll interview much earlier in the following cycle. Keep your head up! I have heard from multiple physicians I work with that they were originally waitlisted at the school they matriculated - one of them being my father at UMDNJ-SOM, as well as a couple others.

Finally, if anyone is looking to room in the Collingswood or Haddonfield area soon, message me.

Good luck!

I'm going to give you a hug right now.

The wait list is ranked! I called today and got a ballpark idea of where I stand. Hoping for lots of movement this year

Reactions: 1 user
Just called myself too! Thanks for the heads up. I wonder what percentile they got through in previous years. As always, good luck everyone! This is the next step towards acceptance!

They also said that most of the movement will occur in June if that helps anyone with a time frame.

I'm really surprised how few posts this thread has. I would love to know how big the wait list is this year and what percentage they typically accept off the wait list. I remember seeing something like 1/3. Whether that means 1/3 of the class came from the wait list or the top 1/3 of the wait list was accepted, I don't know. I'm also not sure if there's room for movement on the wait list After it's been ranked...

I'm really surprised how few posts this thread has. I would love to know how big the wait list is this year and what percentage they typically accept off the wait list. I remember seeing something like 1/3. Whether that means 1/3 of the class came from the wait list or the top 1/3 of the wait list was accepted, I don't know. I'm also not sure if there's room for movement on the wait list After it's been ranked...

I'm curious to know what percentage usually gets off the waitlist as well. I called yesterday and was told I'm in the middle :/

It definitely varys from year to year so it's hard to say what it will be this year. One thing to consider though. If the waitlist is ranked on stats as its primary factor (assumption) then you can be safe to assume that to highest ranked waitlistees are also accepted elsewhere. Remember that the deposit for many schools can be well over $1,000 and many might have signed leases for housing already. Others convinced by a school's accepted students days. Even more might be out of state students that decided to stay in-state for financial reasons. Also consider MD waitlist movement might take some of these students too.

There are a lot of factors for passing up a newly opened spot and I think and many of them weighing most heavily on the students at the top. So don't sell yourself short. You guys made it this far! Being in the middle is a great accomplishment and by no means says your out of the race. Keep in there!

In case you guys got calls and were worrying why (if you missed the call), they are calling everyone on the waitlist to make sure all of their contact information is up to date and they give you an idea of where you stand. For me, she said I'm in the top 25% but we shall see what happens.

Hey guys, I was just looking at the acceptance package and it says that the average debt of a 2013 graduate from rowan was 178,000 but the estimated cost of attendance for a new student was $63,000 a year. I'm no mathematician but that doesn't quite add up. They even claim that includes in state tuition...did the school become private?

Hey guys, I was just looking at the acceptance package and it says that the average debt of a 2013 graduate from rowan was 178,000 but the estimated cost of attendance for a new student was $63,000 a year. I'm no mathematician but that doesn't quite add up. They even claim that includes in state tuition...did the school become private?

No, Rowan is still a public school but they're giving you COA which includes tuition+housing/food/books/car etc. The 63K they quoted you includes all of that, tuition for IS is 35K/yr. During Accepted Students Day they went over the cost in detail, for OOS the total COA is closer to 80K, with OOS tuition being 55K/year. IS kids get to save anywhere around 60-80K.

No tuition is over 35, graduating 4th year here. Went up 18% year I started, moved from high 20s to high 30s in 4 years. I believe this year was a little over 38,000. By the way in state all 4 years, native Jersey girl. Tuition in NJ has gone up astronomically. Went up by 4-5,000 during summer before I started..

Members don't see this ad :)
No tuition is over 35, graduating 4th year here. Went up 18% year I started, moved from high 20s to high 30s in 4 years. I believe this year was a little over 38,000. By the way in state all 4 years, native Jersey girl. Tuition in NJ has gone up astronomically. Went up by 4-5,000 during summer before I started..

Check your bursar account again. My tuition was just over 35k this past year and is expected to be 35,823 this next year

If you aren't a 4th year, it may be different. Over $1-2,000 for mandatory Kaplan course. I'm quite certain.

If you aren't a 4th year, it may be different. Over $1-2,000 for mandatory Kaplan course. I'm quite certain.

That's not tuition... And you can opt out of that course if you score 600 on comlex. The COA is around 68k in state because of fees and other expenses that someone posted previously. As a rising 4th year (3 weeks left) I can tell you that tuition is just under 36k

Not if you include fees, and not all fees are optional. I opted out of health insurance and still had around 38,000 with fees. And you have to do more than just get 600 (not as easy as it sounds), at least for my year we also needed all honors/high pass, and having been sick on one rotation where I required surgery, that excluded me from opting out. I'm graduating next week, I love our school but as a soon to be intern, I can say tuition has been rising substantially. 4-5,000 just in one year the summer before I started first year.

EDIT: Reviewed records, approx 37,600 without health insurance but including other fees.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying, but every school has extra fees on top of tuition. I can't wait to be done with this next year myself

Congratulations!

Hoping for some solid waitlist movement this month (especially after May 15th)! Keeping my fingers crossed for myself and everyone else on the WL hoping to attend Rowan!

Officially Withdrew my acceptance. Goodluck to all you on the waitlist.

Any waitlist movement? How many people are on waitlist? what percentage are pulled from the waitlist?

Any waitlist movement? How many people are on waitlist? what percentage are pulled from the waitlist?

There has been movement, I know a friend who got pulled off the list but I don't know his percentage on the list. Please don't go off past percentages of who got pulled off as it changes every year. There is no "average". Sorry I can't help out more, don't loose hope!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

-TR

For those still waiting on the waitlist. Purely amazing quote by good ol Theodore Roosevelt.

anyone know if any of the dual degrees cost additional money? For example would we have to pay for the MBA as well or would it be free as part of the DO/MBA?

anyone know if any of the dual degrees cost additional money? For example would we have to pay for the MBA as well or would it be free as part of the DO/MBA?
You have to pay for each degree

Hey guys, I am applying this cycle with a 3.932 cGPA and 4.00 sGPA with a 29 MCAT (12p, 8v, 9b) and am in-state. Do you think I have a good shot at an interview? Thanks a ton!

Absolutely a great shot! I had essentially the same science GPA and MCAT (different individual scores though) and got an interview. I had a much lower cGPA as you too so I think your in a really good place as long as your extra curricular are in good shape and no outstanding red flags in your application.

The average cGPA for last year was 3.6 and MCAT a 28. They have new numbers for this year I believe if you look around. Good Luck! It's a long process so keep yourself busy and try not to SDN too much haha.

Absolutely a great shot! I had essentially the same science GPA and MCAT (different individual scores though) and got an interview. I had a much lower cGPA as you too so I think your in a really good place as long as your extra curricular are in good shape and no outstanding red flags in your application.

The average cGPA for last year was 3.6 and MCAT a 28. They have new numbers for this year I believe if you look around. Good Luck! It's a long process so keep yourself busy and try not to SDN too much haha.

That's great news! Yeah I've been an EMT for 5 years and I have an accounting/finance/consulting internship as well (just because I'm good with numbers and it's kind of fun, Biomathematics major here). I have also held leadership positions in my school as well as being a counselor for a Youth Leadership program that Rotary International runs, for the past 3 years.

Last edited:
That's great news! Yeah I've been an EMT for 5 years and I have an accounting/finance/consulting internship as well (just because I'm good with numbers and it's kind of fun, Biomathematics major here). I have also held leadership positions in my school as well as being a counselor for a Youth Leadership program that Rotary International runs, for the past 3 years.

Looks like your in a really good place. Good Luck this application cycle!

Has anyone heard updates on the laptop policy? I know that at accepted students day Dr. Boyd mentioned that they were working on an Apple based option for those students who prefer Mac. She also mentioned they are working an iPad initiative. I was in touch with her via email a few weeks ago and said they were still discussing. Any second, third, or fourth years hear anything?

Has anyone heard updates on the laptop policy? I know that at accepted students day Dr. Boyd mentioned that they were working on an Apple based option for those students who prefer Mac. She also mentioned they are working an iPad initiative. I was in touch with her via email a few weeks ago and said they were still discussing. Any second, third, or fourth years hear anything?
+1
Would love the mac/iPad combo

I didn't hear anything as of yet but I did hear chatter in the beginning about the iPad thing for the anatomy practical specifically. Still no official word though.

Does anyone know if there has been any movement on the waitlist and if so how far down are they? Thank you!

It's definitely moving, but I'm in the same situation. No idea on how far it's moved other than its definitely started moving. I'm just trying not to think about it the best I can. Starting another application cycle just in case. Was hoping to save the money on the primary application, but it's better than having to apply late and not get in twice in a row. Oof.

Good Luck! We got this!!

It's definitely moving, but I'm in the same situation. No idea on how far it's moved other than its definitely started moving. I'm just trying not to think about it the best I can. Starting another application cycle just in case. Was hoping to save the money on the primary application, but it's better than having to apply late and not get in twice in a row. Oof.

Good Luck! We got this!!

I know exactly how you feel...was also trying to avoid applying again but better safe than sorry

Good Luck! We got this!!
There has been some movement butperhaps not much, Maywe know what your ranking on the waitlist is?

I called today and they said im in the top 22% of waitlist...really hoping it goes down that far

Does anyone know how many people are on the wait/alternate list? and does Rowan SOM place everyone who is not offered admission on the waitlist or are there post-interview rejections?

Does anyone know how many people are on the wait/alternate list? and does Rowan SOM place everyone who is not offered admission on the waitlist or are there post-interview rejections?
No, everyone is not placed on waitlist. There are pre and post interview rejections.

almost everyone who isn't accepted post interview gets waitlisted.*

that was as per Paula watkins, I spoke with her a month ago, she said they interviewed about 500 and gave out very few rejections, and the rest waitlists.

that was as per Paula watkins, I spoke with her a month ago, she said they interviewed about 500 and gave out very few rejections, and the rest waitlists.
That means more than 300 people were waitlisted if what you are saying is true.

Any updates on this?

Wow!!! what are the possibilities then?

I wouldn't worry too much about the possibilities or probabilities. It is far more important (and better for your psyche) to realize that you all got interviews and that is already beating a huge odd. At this point it's best not to obsess with finding out extraneous information, it will drive you crazy trust me. I know it is difficult but just hold on, go traveling if you can or pick up a hobby. Taking your mind off of things will help make the time pass by faster I promise. Good luck to you all!

Any updates on this?

I don't foresee the faculty telling us till the beginning of the semester. I know the class is trying to get our future exam schedule but we prob won't get that till the end of June so at EARLIEST maybe July.

Great advice - it has been driving me crazy! Like some other waitlisters, I too will be starting the reapplication process. I'm still debating retaking the MCAT since I know my unbalanced score is the weakest part of my application, but the thought is just so daunting :blackeye: I wish I had time to travel!

I wouldn't worry too much about the possibilities or probabilities. It is far more important (and better for your psyche) to realize that you all got interviews and that is already beating a huge odd. At this point it's best not to obsess with finding out extraneous information, it will drive you crazy trust me. I know it is difficult but just hold on, go traveling if you can or pick up a hobby. Taking your mind off of things will help make the time pass by faster I promise. Good luck to you all!