Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a wait list letter today wondering if I'll get in during the summer

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing sticking out to me is your GPA. You can try doing a post bac or something to raise that GPA. Otherwise, your MCATs and ECs look good so I would highly suggest a post bac or anything else that can boost your GPA. Perhaps retake some classes that you got lower grades on?
At this point, I could prepare to get a Master's next year or start retaking courses that I did poorly in... But do DO school's look down on retaking courses or do they prefer for a student to just take other undergrad courses to raise the grade point averages? It wouldn't be a real problem, but I'd need a year's worth of courses (20-30 semester credit hours) to raise my science GPA to a 3.2-3.3 range, and it will be difficult to find courses that I can manage while working to make this happen...

Got a wait list letter today wondering if I'll get in during the summer
I am also on the waitlist. Hopefully admissions will begin looking at the wailist a bit earlier this year, maybe late April? I don't know, I am just hoping. The waiting can be quite stressful (especially when it's your top choice) but to restate advice that others have given, we got to try and stay as relaxed as possible and just wait and see. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, I could prepare to get a Master's next year or start retaking courses that I did poorly in... But do DO school's look down on retaking courses or do they prefer for a student to just take other undergrad courses to raise the grade point averages? It wouldn't be a real problem, but I'd need a year's worth of courses (20-30 semester credit hours) to raise my science GPA to a 3.2-3.3 range, and it will be difficult to find courses that I can manage while working to make this happen...

I am unsure as to which they prefer. It never really came up and I just choose to go for the Master's because during my time, they did the whole grade replacement thing. If you are unsure you could always request a phone appointment with Mrs. Watkins and see what she says.

It might be a bit unrealistic to do 30 credit hours in 2 semesters at a Masters school. These credits are a little harsher than undergrad courses so I wouldn't suggest it. I thought the same thing and took 10 credits my first semester at Masters school and didn't get the greatest of scores. I guess my general advice is to concentrate on your GPA. Whether it be by taking undergrad courses or Masters courses is up to you. I don't know if I could give decent advice about that.

Last edited:
I am also on the waitlist. Hopefully admissions will begin looking at the wailist a bit earlier this year, maybe late April? I don't know, I am just hoping. The waiting can be quite stressful (especially when it's your top choice) but to restate advice that others have given, we got to try and stay as relaxed as possible and just wait and see. Best of luck to you.

Thank you! All the best to you too!

I'm not sure if their intention was to encourage or terrify me when they told of a faculty member/DO that had to apply 6 times total to gain acceptance.
I was wait listed last year and then accepted this year after taking the MCAT for the third time. There's less to be gained from losing hope.

Anyone have any info on match lists or dual degree programs and likelihood of doing one if interested?

I'm not sure if their intention was to encourage or terrify me when they told of a faculty member/DO that had to apply 6 times total to gain acceptance.
I was wait listed last year and then accepted this year after taking the MCAT for the third time. There's less to be gained from losing hope.
Same story here! I was accepted after my third round of Mcat scores; don't lose hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody on the waitlist hear anything about when they're going to rank it?

Anybody on the waitlist hear anything about when they're going to rank it?

I called a while back and was told that they would rank it mid March. So I am assuming it is currently ranked, but I thought I would wait until April to call them just in case. Would love to hear back from people if they find out about this earlier! Good Luck everyone!!

Anyone have any info on match lists or dual degree programs and likelihood of doing one if interested?

Dual degree info can be found here:

http://www.rowan.edu/som/education/degree_programs/combinedDegrees.html

You will also receive a lecture about doing these programs during your orientation. I know the JD requires you to take the GREs as well but other than that, i really didn't pay attention. Bare in mind that some of those programs also would mean you won't graduate in 4 years, more like 7.

Dual degree info can be found here:

http://www.rowan.edu/som/education/degree_programs/combinedDegrees.html

You will also receive a lecture about doing these programs during your orientation. I know the JD requires you to take the GREs as well but other than that, i really didn't pay attention. Bare in mind that some of those programs also would mean you won't graduate in 4 years, more like 7.
JD requires LSAT and you complete the DO/JD in 6 years. JD classes occur between 2nd and 3rd year after you've taken COMLEX level 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any word on if they are still sending out invites, getting a bit nervous as I have a decision pending at another school this week and don't think it will be in my favour...

Any word on if they are still sending out invites, getting a bit nervous as I have a decision pending at another school this week and don't think it will be in my favour...

I got an invitation for interview a week ago today so I think they are still sending them. They offered me 3/28 and 4/4 and I took this Friday.

I just received an interview invite last night via e-mail. Very excited! I will be interviewing 4/4.

They actually called me after I sent them an email saying I was withdrawing and said, "What can we do to get you to stay in the program?"

Anyone else have this experience? Seems like a strange policy...

They actually called me after I sent them an email saying I was withdrawing and said, "What can we do to get you to stay in the program?"

Anyone else have this experience? Seems like a strange policy...

Lol you should be flattered. When I sent them a withdrawal email..they didn't even respond.
You should demand full free tuition and a $1000 monthly stipend ;)

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what they think my chances are of getting accepted. My interview is Friday 3/28. MCAT-29 (P-8,V-10,B-11). GPA-3.85. IS.

That sounds impressive to me! Any volunteer experience?

That sounds impressive to me! Any volunteer experience?

Not really by any normal standards haha. My a cappella group does a lot of performances at nursing homes and fund raisers etc, but not a lot of formal volunteer work (probably my weakest area in my app).

My other experiences include shadowing a Neurologist and Neuro-oncologist and working as a receptionist for an oral surgeon for 5 years. I also have been doing research at my school for the past year which has culminated in an honors thesis.

To be honest that sounds somewhat like my resume! (I sing in a choral group too!) I wish you the best of luck! Just be yourself and have a friendly conversation ;)

To be honest that sounds somewhat like my resume! (I sing in a choral group too!) I wish you the best of luck! Just be yourself and have a friendly conversation ;)

Oh awesome! Thanks so much! =)

Not really by any normal standards haha. My a cappella group does a lot of performances at nursing homes and fund raisers etc, but not a lot of formal volunteer work (probably my weakest area in my app).

My other experiences include shadowing a Neurologist and Neuro-oncologist and working as a receptionist for an oral surgeon for 5 years. I also have been doing research at my school for the past year which has culminated in an honors thesis.

You sound like you have a really good chance! I believe the average MCAT was a 28 when they gave out their stats during a tour last year. The GPA was around a 3.68 I think, but that is a little fuzzy since I am trying to recall a white piece of paper I saw a year ago now, oof. So you are well above average based on your numbers which will definitely help you out. It looks like your experiences will definitely help you too, although having more formal volunteer experience would have been helpful. Also like any medical school interview let yourself shine through and be unique. Everyone else is as nervous as you are, so your not alone. Keep in there and you should do great!

As a side question, have you shadowed a DO before this? Because with any DO school interview you should definitely be prepared for the "Why DO?" question. They want to know that you are excited to be a DO and not just applying because its another option. So definitely do your homework ahead of time, but take a deep breathe. You will be fine. Show them your real self and you will definitely do well. Good Luck!!!

Side note to some of the waitlistees: I followed through and gave them a call regarding the waitlist. It looks like they will have it compiled more around the end of April this year. This also means that they will be interviewing into April too. Not sure exactly what date that might be, but someone above got an interview invite for 4/4 so keep in there ryanc6060! Perhaps a call regarding continued interest would not be a bad idea since its so close to the end of interview season. Cannot hurt at this point id think.

You sound like you have a really good chance! I believe the average MCAT was a 28 when they gave out their stats during a tour last year. The GPA was around a 3.68 I think, but that is a little fuzzy since I am trying to recall a white piece of paper I saw a year ago now, oof. So you are well above average based on your numbers which will definitely help you out. It looks like your experiences will definitely help you too, although having more formal volunteer experience would have been helpful. Also like any medical school interview let yourself shine through and be unique. Everyone else is as nervous as you are, so your not alone. Keep in there and you should do great!

As a side question, have you shadowed a DO before this? Because with any DO school interview you should definitely be prepared for the "Why DO?" question. They want to know that you are excited to be a DO and not just applying because its another option. So definitely do your homework ahead of time, but take a deep breathe. You will be fine. Show them your real self and you will definitely do well. Good Luck!!!

Side note to some of the waitlistees: I followed through and gave them a call regarding the waitlist. It looks like they will have it compiled more around the end of April this year. This also means that they will be interviewing into April too. Not sure exactly what date that might be, but someone above got an interview invite for 4/4 so keep in there ryanc6060! Perhaps a call regarding continued interest would not be a bad idea since its so close to the end of interview season. Cannot hurt at this point id think.

I actually haven't shadowed a DO because I decided rather late that I wanted to try for a DO program. I only applied to them during the first week in March and got the call for an interview 2 weeks later. The reason I applied so late was because I honestly didn't know a lot about what a DO was and didn't want to apply to something I knew nothing about. Over my winter break I did some research on it and found that all of the DO philosophies were things that I had been promoting in my personal statement and application all along! Once I realized how much I liked the program and what a great fit it was for me, I applied right away and thankfully got an interview!

Thanks so much for your advice!

Does anyone know the schedule for Accepted Students Day?

Approx how long did it take for the letter to arrive in the mail post acceptance phone call?

hey! best of luck to everyone! Can anyone who already interviewed tell me more about it?

hey! best of luck to everyone! Can anyone who already interviewed tell me more about it?

Its really relaxed. Its a traditional interview format with an admissions committee member and another medical student. They take turns asking you questions, but its very conversational. So its not like they are asking a question, await a response and then move onto the next one. The interviewer I had was extremely nice and I heard the same from all of the other students I interviewed with so I would not worry about a stress interview situation. I cannot say much on the specific questions, since I am not sure if I can discuss that information but its really what you would expect content wise for a traditional interview. No surprises. There is of course the obvious "Why DO" question, but that's pretty typical of most DO schools.

Good Luck :D!

Anyone know the schedule for accepted students day tomorrow?

Anyone know about the pre-matric program? Pros/cons of it? How difficult is it? I know you have to take quizzes and such

Anyone know about the pre-matric program? Pros/cons of it? How difficult is it? I know you have to take quizzes and such

Just got back from accepted student day, and the upper class men all recommend it. They said it's a really good program to get acclimated with med school, and they tailor it as close to the real thing as possible. None of the grades matter and what not, but it seems like a great way to get use to med school exams and what expected before you start in august! The only thing is that if you get to so the program on campus it does cut your summer short

For anyone who is interested, I just interviewed on Friday and they said that their current class is full, but the wait list is moving all the time. Their next committee meeting is on the 25th. They also said they see a big spike in openings in mid-May so many acceptances off the wait list are offered at that time. Good Luck to everyone and congrats to those already accepted!!

For anyone who is interested, I just interviewed on Friday and they said that their current class is full, but the wait list is moving all the time. Their next committee meeting is on the 25th. They also said they see a big spike in openings in mid-May so many acceptances off the wait list are offered at that time. Good Luck to everyone and congrats to those already accepted!!

Good Luck!! Guess you just missed the last committee meeting by a few days then. Hope you get it! Yeah, mid-May I think is when schools release who is accepted at their school to each other so they can see which students are holding multiple acceptances.

Did you guys receive a confirmation that your deposit and associated forms were received? Approx how long after did they confirm after you mailed it out?

Actually as a 4th year, I considered doing combined JD and was told we did NOT need LSAT, they would use our MCAT. It may have changed since but that is what I was told when considering it. Everything is different now that we are Rowan, not sure how things will work this year.

hey, did anyone else try calling the admissions office today and the phone went to voicemail after a few rings?

hey, did anyone else try calling the admissions office today and the phone went to voicemail after a few rings?

I was supposed to interview today and I received a phone call last night that the school had a power outage. I was told the office would be closed today. Try back on Monday.

Are the done for the season?

Keep in there man. Who knows, they could have had some delays due to that power outage. Id say give em a call. Can't hurt at this point, right?

I just called and they said my application is currently under review. They couldn't tell me any more than they are still doing interviews. Has anyone else heard anything good or bad?

I just called and they said my application is currently under review. They couldn't tell me any more than they are still doing interviews. Has anyone else heard anything good or bad?

That was posted on the previous page, so that might be what you are looking for. Assuming no one that interviewed since the previous committee meeting has heard back yet, but I could be wrong. So you got some time to sit back and relax a bit. No good news but at least its not bad, right?

This also fits well with my call before about waitlist movement too. They told me that they will have not have it ranked until the end of April. Thinking the 25th is pretty key in this. I will probably call again early May.

They're still conducting interviews! Just got a call yesterday and am scheduled for 4/24. I previously spoke to a friend who interviewed last month and they indeed are only interviewing for waitlist spots at this point. The final acceptance committee meeting is on the Friday following my interview, so the 4/26. Final rankings etc... should be available a week afterwards, so I'd give them a call for those who are wondering.
Good luck everyone!

Is the academic center open 24/7?

Yes. Your ID can get you into the Academic Center 24/7 but the library closes are certain points if that was why you are going to the Academic Center. Most people push out into the Auditorium when the library closes. You can also access the Anatomy Lab 24/7 with your ID.