Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aml868

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am an M1 interested in ophthalmology and got two good opportunities for research over the summer. I need to make a decision on what to do. The MSTAR program is research on aging medicine and I would probably be working with an ophthalmologist (I won’t officially know who for a few weeks but I put one as my preference when I applied). I have been told it’s pretty flexible and it is what you put in with didactics just on Thursday afternoons. The other research would be an NEI/NIH summer internship with an ophthalmology focused lab and I don’t really know what the dedication would be yet (I will be talking with someone from the lab soon). The research project with the NEI/NIH is interesting. I also like the past ophthalmology research MSTAR has had.

I am thinking I could probably make better connections at the MSTAR program since there are multiple students and PIs working on other projects, and the school has a good residency. I also know that NIH funded research is recognized nationally. What kind of questions should I ask to figure out which place is best for me and my goals to be a competitive applicant? Probably not possible, but I would like to do both since the labs are ~30 min from each other. I don’t want the quality of my work or relationships to suffer. If anyone knows more about these programs and could give me more input that would be great as well :).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am an M1 interested in ophthalmology and got two good opportunities for research over the summer. I need to make a decision on what to do. The MSTAR program is research on aging medicine and I would probably be working with an ophthalmologist (I won’t officially know who for a few weeks but I put one as my preference when I applied). I have been told it’s pretty flexible and it is what you put in with didactics just on Thursday afternoons. The other research would be an NEI/NIH summer internship with an ophthalmology focused lab and I don’t really know what the dedication would be yet (I will be talking with someone from the lab soon). The research project with the NEI/NIH is interesting. I also like the past ophthalmology research MSTAR has had.

I am thinking I could probably make better connections at the MSTAR program since there are multiple students and PIs working on other projects, and the school has a good residency. I also know that NIH funded research is recognized nationally. What kind of questions should I ask to figure out which place is best for me and my goals to be a competitive applicant? Probably not possible, but I would like to do both since the labs are ~30 min from each other. I don’t want the quality of my work or relationships to suffer. If anyone knows more about these programs and could give me more input that would be great as well :).
Hi Can you please share your experience with MSTAR program. How was it, were you able to work with Ophthalmology. Got accepted today, trying to decide.

Hi Can you please share your experience with MSTAR program. How was it, were you able to work with Ophthalmology. Got accepted today, trying to decide.
Which site are you considering? Your experience will vary depending on where you're at

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I did mstar at John Hopkins, the only ophthalmologist they had was located in Bethesda and even with expression of wanting to work with them I matched with a mentor in my second interest which was neurology. My mentor is really good and I am still in connection with her working on a manuscript. They try to match you with really good mentors based off your interest, however you might want to do a different site if there is no ophthalmologist. It’s what you make of it, only requirement is a deliverable and to attend Thursday afternoon didactics. Lmk if you have any other questions!

Nih fell through anyways they found someone before I even got to talk to them (after they reached out to me) I’m glad it didn’t work out