Question about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctry23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a medical student with other medical schools nearby (like 3-4 others), is it okay for me to do research at other places? Does that look bad? Will other PI's be okay with taking on a medical student from another med school? I go to a mid level-school but there are a couple of schools near me that are ranked higher so I want to see if I can be involved in research over there.

Members don't see this ad.

No one will care. Reach out and get some projects done

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How would one go about trying to make these connections?
By far the easiest way is through an introduction from an existing mentor. If you don’t have one, then I would start with a PD at the target institution who may know researchers in need of student support. If that doesn’t work either then you’re stuck with cold emails

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mine, the logistical hurdles of getting to do "research" at another institution is usually too much of a burden to bear, unless of course it is a full-time, paid position.
Just to emphasize this--I work in a health system affiliated with two medical schools. The faculty hold appointments at the medical schools, but are employees of the health system. So, when they do research, they do it as employees of the health system, not as faculty of the medical school. When all the people are employed by the health system, there's no big deal.

However, when we get a medical student, it becomes significantly more complicated. Our IRB has separate requirements from what the medical school does, so the student has to do both, and then to be added to a protocol, we have to complete a reliance agreement because the student is still a representative of the medical school and not an employee of the health system, so their efforts on the project constitute a collaborative agreement rather than simply another investigator on the study.

We do it, because we like working with medical students, but it is such a pain...

Reactions: 2 users
As a medical student with other medical schools nearby (like 3-4 others), is it okay for me to do research at other places? Does that look bad? Will other PI's be okay with taking on a medical student from another med school? I go to a mid level-school but there are a couple of schools near me that are ranked higher so I want to see if I can be involved in research over there.
I go to a medical school and have published more papers with a different medical school's research department than my own. Do what you have to do to build your resume. No one will think badly of you because your papers don't come from your own medical school.

Reactions: 1 user