Research Poster Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zobo135

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds like an ignorant question but I am new to the field of research and poster presenting. I plan on presenting a project in which I will be the 5th author of the manuscript. I plan on making a poster and presenting the project at a local conference. Would I list myself as the first author on the poster because I made the poster or list myself in the same order as the manuscript? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this sounds like an ignorant question but I am new to the field of research and poster presenting. I plan on presenting a project in which I will be the 5th author of the manuscript. I plan on making a poster and presenting the project at a local conference. Would I list myself as the first author on the poster because I made the poster or list myself in the same order as the manuscript? Thank you so much!
Ask your faculty PI. Also what does the conference suggest, especially if you are presenting?

It is common practice for the presenting author to be listed as first author on the poster, but as mentioned above, you will definitely need to run this through your PI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with running by your PI, however authorship should be determined by who contributed most to the product. In the case of the poster, if you made it then that is you.

One consideration is that if someone else clearly did most of the research work and you are mostly presenting results that they generated, it may be appropriate to list them as co-first author.

Reactions: 1 users
Author order is determined by project, not by presentation or manuscript. The author order should be the same for the poster and the manuscript if it is the same project.

Author order is determined by project, not by presentation or manuscript. The author order should be the same for the poster and the manuscript if it is the same project.
Disagree. There are many projects that have lots of moving parts and end up producing many different work products. Authorship should be given to anyone who has a significant contribution to the overall project, but the order of authorship will vary based on the individual work product.

For instance, since I'm in endocrinology, say we have a project looking at screening labs in patients with diabetes. We might break up that population into type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes (since the recommended screenings are different). If I write the majority of the manuscript for the type 1 population, and my colleague writes the majority of the manuscript for the type 2 population, there will be different author orders despite it being the same project.

In this case, it's reasonable for a student to be first author on the poster (if they designed it) and a resident to be first author on the resulting manuscript (if they wrote the majority of it). Especially as posters often do not contain all the results of the manuscript.

But OP should definitely ask the PI before doing this.

Reactions: 1 users