Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneralStCloud

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question and hope this is the correct place to put it.
I'm an incoming non-trad with a Ph.D. I just submitted one of my dissertation studies to a journal for a manuscript publication. It took a decent amount of time to edit and format for the journal, and of course 150+ hours to conduct.
How is it remotely possible people are getting 15+ publications in medical school??? What am I missing here? And does the quality matter at all?
Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of the publications people get in medical school are clinical research including case reports, literature reviews, and meta-analysis. The nature of these types of publications allow for them to be completed online and relatively quickly. For residency they will consider the quality of your publications and do view basic science (and other non-clinical) publications differently than clinical research although for competitive specialties quantity still matters a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an incoming non-trad with a Ph.D. I just submitted one of my dissertation studies to a journal for a manuscript publication. It took a decent amount of time to edit and format for the journal, and of course 150+ hours to conduct.
How is it remotely possible people are getting 15+ publications in medical school??? What am I missing here? And does the quality matter at all?
Thanks all!
Agree with above. Med student pubs are not nearly on the level of a PhD dissertation. A lot of it is honestly garbage in/garbage out.

Having quality definitely helps you to stand out from the crowd. But to a certain extent you do need quantity.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. That certainly clears it up. I knew I had must be missing something because there is no way I'm completing research similar to my dissertation during medical school.

Thanks for the info. That certainly clears it up. I knew I had must be missing something because there is no way I'm completing research similar to my dissertation during medical school.

And honestly you won't have time to. Just focus on doing well in classes and if you have a bit of time maybe take on some really light clinical project if you want something on your CV for residency.

Most don't have 15+ publications - usually a combo of "submitted" manuscripts, oral presentations, posters, and abstracts.

Some students do legitimately have 15+ PMID indexed papers published though it's rare for them all to be decent quality. As the other poster mentioned, you can also publish low-quality stuff pretty easily if you aim for quick projects and easy journals.

Most likely you are a basic science PhD. Basic science papers take a long time to publish and a long time to perform due to the inherent bottlenecks with cell culture, animal growth, etc. Plus basic science data tends to be noisy and takes time to generate. Compare this to clinical data which often is already available or accessible via databases - the only bottleneck there is the speed with which you can design hypotheses and test them.

Thanks all!
Because a majority of "academic" research is garbage and every article has a home.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have thoughts on including graduate theses on my CV? I've chaired a number of them in my time as a program director but am not sure if they are useful (clinical exercise physiology MS).

A few examples for context

Moderate Intensity Interval Training and High-Intensity Interval Training Circuit Training in Combating Sedentary Lifestyle and Major Depressive Disorder.

Physical Activity Frequency and Challenging Behaviors in Populations with Autism.

The Relationship between Physical Activity and Change in MS Symptoms One-Year Following the COVID-19 Pandemic.