Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SippiGirl08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my first "we regret to inform you..." email. And I'm a lot more upset than I thought I would be.:mad: This program is ok... but it's far from top notch. Admittedly, I have no research to my name, but I'm in the top 1/3 of my class, and I kicked a$$ on both steps... What are these people looking for?

EDIT: I know it's not all about the numbers... Just needed to vent!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my first "we regret to inform you..." email. And I'm a lot more upset than I thought I would be.:mad: This program is ok... but it's far from top notch. Admittedly, I have no research to my name, but I'm in the top 1/3 of my class, and I kicked a$$ on both steps... What are these people looking for?

EDIT: I know it's not all about the numbers... Just needed to vent!

hey sippigirl sorry to hear that especially since you seem to have gotten interviews from awesome programs already. i didn't know programs did that...i imagined that they would ignore us if they didn't want to interview us. i wonder if you can contact the program and see why they rejected you? anyways cheer up! you didn't want to go there anywaysright!!! ;)
venting always helps me too :)

:luck::luck::luck:

the email said it was an "arbitrary decision" due to the "daunting task of choosing 80 interviewees from a pool of 300 applicants"... oh well, that's one less road trip i have to pay for!

Members don't see this ad :)
the email said it was an "arbitrary decision" due to the "daunting task of choosing 80 interviewees from a pool of 300 applicants"... oh well, that's one less road trip i have to pay for!

Their loss and you save on an extra trip :D

I got the same e-mail from the same institution =)

Everyone ends up being rejected from places they think they 'deserve' an interview while getting interviews at places they thought they had no chance.. just enjoy the ride and be happy you with the interviews you already have :thumbup:

Make me the 3rd person that got that "arbitrary decision" rejection letter from that particular institution today. They aren't that fantastic anyway.

got the same rejection guys. i kinda like this thread...i might be adding to it later and this is comforting.

I was talking with someone about not receiving interviews from "safe programs," and I thought they made a good point. Some of these programs will reject candidates who are over-qualified in addition to the ones who do not make the cut. If a program, especially smaller ones, only has a set number of interviews to hand out, they want to make each of those interviews high impact. Therefore, they would rather not spend an interview on someone who is unlikely to rank their program. Frustrating for us candidates, but I think it is logical for the programs.

Maybe this is a glass is half-full because you are above the cut.

This thread is comforting. You guys made me feel better. Thanks!

I'll chime in with a reject letter from the same place. Oh well. One greyed out row on my spreadsheet.

It's nice to know we're all really going through pretty much the same thing.

Hmm...I wonder what is really up with Vandy?

LOL .. wow got the same letter .... though must say Vandy was not a "safe programme" for me ... I would have gone for an interview there but it was still not "THE ONE" ..... but I know what you mean .. it still is disappointing esp since since its the first rejection !!

Oh well ... their bad luck folks !!

not to keep beating a dead horse, but did anyone else think it weird that the email didn't even mention what program she was writing from? the one that came to my personal address had a eras address on the return, so i had to go the actual eras site to see what email address it originated from. good thing she used her vandy address to reject us.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes i had to go to eras or apgo.org to figure out who was emailing me. it was as if we should have all known that it was the great vandy emailing us a rejection. oh well...their loss. i hope to see yall on the interview trail though.

turns out my rejection was an "administrative error." i wonder how many other qualified applicants they turned away? i actually would have gone to this interview, but now i am seriously turned off by the entire program. shouldn't there be some checks and balances in place to prevent things like this from happening? if this were my program, i would be SO embarrassed! anyone else get this new email?

I heard a rumor that the reason Wilmington, NC didn't match anyone last year (the only program in the country that didn't fill if I remember) was because the secretary forgot to submit a rank list! Talk about administrative error.

I have no way to verify whether or not this is true.

I got the same "administrative error" email too. And like you I am not sure how I feel about it now. It sort of makes you wonder...

I got my first rejection today... oh well, I didn't want to go there anyway! I also got a rather "b*tchy" email from Mt. Sinai in Chicago. It was basically a don't contact us email... they have 400 apps, and will let us know etc etc.

I received my 2nd rejection today from UNC! I look at it this way, they are helping me to cut down my long list of possible choices. The email was kind of weird b/c it didn't explicity say "we reject you" it was vague but implied. !!:p

Yale :(

And MUSC: put me on a waitlist due to full dates.

I have some pretty cool places though! Still waiting to hear from Northwestern. . . keeping fingers crossed.

I received my 2nd rejection today from UNC! I look at it this way, they are helping me to cut down my long list of possible choices. The email was kind of weird b/c it didn't explicity say "we reject you" it was vague but implied. !!:p

I got the same one! They said something like "we've offered and the candidates have accepted all interview offers for the season." Took me two reads through before I made sure they were rejecting me. I do have to compliment them, though, it sure takes talent to write two paragraphs vaguely informing you that you aren't invited for an interview.

Yale :(

And MUSC: put me on a waitlist due to full dates.

I have some pretty cool places though! Still waiting to hear from Northwestern. . . keeping fingers crossed.

Yep. I am hoping for a Northwestern interview also!
Pegsie, that UNC email was hilarious and kind i must say. Overall, I am pretty happy with my interviews so far.

hopkins rejection today...didn't hurt as much as I had anticipated...:oops:

hopkins rejection today...didn't hurt as much as I had anticipated...:oops:
...well i have to admit that this one did hurt a bit, but it is nice to have an answer. i am hoping for another invite to help balance this one out.

...well i have to admit that this one did hurt a bit, but it is nice to have an answer. i am hoping for another invite to help balance this one out.

Still haven't heard from Hopkins :( but Loyola rejected me today

I too have been subjected to the "thanks, but no thanks" letter from UNC. I also got the "record number of applications from an unusually highly qualified pool of applicants" letter from UW-Madison. It wasn't an outright rejection, but rather of the "you're our second choice" variety saying that another candidate may cancel their interview. :confused:
I say keep the faith though because two days after I got that letter they offered me an interview!

For those of you who got invites from Brown, when were you notified?

If anybody has gotten a rejection from Brown, when did that happen?

Thanks

rejected today....nice short and sweet email.

don't know anybody here, but am joining your club here :) ... make me number 7!

i haven't logged on in a while, but i've been rejected by university of florida and university of washington.

NYU Me 8!! it did not even have my name on it just the rejection...:mad:

For some reason it doesn't really hurt at all....maybe all the prior rejections softened the blow.

Had this one in the inbox today .... first rejection since the MSPE were released and 2nd rejection so far !!

...purely a reach school. so this was expected. :D

Add me to the Northwestern reject pile :D

Northwestern, Hopkins, and UCSF today... haha! Oh well, just thankful with what i have so far :)

Northwestern for me, too. Having these rejections come in a row is not conducive to my self-esteem. Only three more programs to hear back from!

Northwester. It kind of stung.

has anyone else been put on the waitlist or gotten a spot off the waitlist for univ wash? I got an email from them a while ago saying that they may or may not add another date for interviewing, but if not, then I would be on the waitlist. Well, I have since found out that they decided not to add more dates... guess I should hope for someone to cancel!

has anyone else been put on the waitlist or gotten a spot off the waitlist for univ wash? I got an email from them a while ago saying that they may or may not add another date for interviewing, but if not, then I would be on the waitlist. Well, I have since found out that they decided not to add more dates... guess I should hope for someone to cancel!
hey i just recently cancelled so maybe it will go your way! good luck
:luck:

thanks for the heads up, genome!