2011-2012 Interview Rejections!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveSparkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While this is the dreaded email for many of us :mad:, I thought it might be a good way to gauge what was going on this interview season! Interview invites in a separate thread!

Not all programs send out official rejections:confused:... but for those that do, post away!

Members don't see this ad.

New Jersey
Monmouth Medical Center: LoveSparkle (9/15)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi LoveSparkle, I have two IVs and two rejections. Both rejections from Buffalo: Sisters of Charity and Univ Buffalo. I'm an IMG, old grad so I expect a list of my rejections will be enough to fill up a page of this thread by themselves, so I'll refrain from posting. I just wanted you to know that you're not alone!

I didn't actually realize programs would send rejection letters...i thought you just wouldn't hear anything but i got my first one yesterday...

Methodist Hospital in Houston (9/26)

Seton- Austin, TX (9/26)
Maine Medical Center- Portland, ME (9/26)

yeah, i think some programs actually send out rejections.. others just ignore you.

i think i prefer the actual rejection though, as sad as that day usually is. otherwise i'm holding out hope for a program thats "internally" rejected me!

California
Stanford: OncoBound (10/4)
Maine
Maine Medical Center: medmom (9/26)
New Jersey
Texas
Seton: medmom (9/26)

Applied to 35 OBGYN programs scattered across the midwest and the south. Have received 4 interviews, 1 rejection and 30 deafening silences. Heck, some programs have not even downloaded my application in over a month! Generally not feeling good about this :(

Applied to 35 OBGYN programs scattered across the midwest and the south. Have received 4 interviews, 1 rejection and 30 deafening silences. Heck, some programs have not even downloaded my application in over a month! Generally not feeling good about this :(

that's not bad. i am on a similar boat. i think there are some pretty impressive people on this board. the only person in my program with interviews at some of these top notch programs is a total stud.

Just out of curiosity, are you MD, DO, IMG?

I'm actually starting to be a little concerned, I applied to 30+ programs (a little excessive), but have only heard back from 4, 1 rejection. Should I be hearing back from more places?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually starting to be a little concerned, I applied to 30+ programs (a little excessive), but have only heard back from 4, 1 rejection. Should I be hearing back from more places?

I feel you. Similar boat. I'm also very nervous about the programs to which I applied, yet have given out interviews according to the Interview board. I'm wondering if these are students at their home institution, or those that did electives at those places, and they'll let the rest of us peons know after Nov 1st? Remember, Dean's letters haven't even gone out.

Last edited:
That's true, it could be a Nov. 1st thing. I guess I'm worried because of the Interview Invite thread (there are multiple people who are invited to multiple programs-- they have to be hearing back from more than just their respective home programs), and other people in my med school class seem to have Nov/December pretty booked up already with interviews.

Arizona
Banner Good Samaritan
California
Stanford: OncoBound (10/4)
Maine
Maine Medical Center: medmom (9/26)
New Jersey
Texas
Seton: medmom (9/26)

I applied to a lot more than 30 programs, but your response rate is close to mine. If you've received 4 replies that's about 13% and my response rate so far is 14%. I'm an MD, US-IMG with an ancient grad date. Good luck!

Sorry...my iPad won't let me copy and paste the whole list for some reason.

Check out the latest Director's Survey on the NRMP site. Many programs only offer a certain percentage of interviews before the Dean's Letters (MSPE's) are sent on November 1st.

I applied to 20 programs and got 6 interviews within the first couple of weeks (mostly from the smaller programs to which I applied). The interview train has come to a grinding halt since then but I suspect it will pick up after programs have had time to look over the MSPE.

If you're not getting interviews, check and make sure your application is complete. Also, different programs have different Letter of Recommendation requirements. If they want a letter from the department chair and you haven't supplied that, well, you probably won't get an interview. Check every program's website for their application requirements.

Check out the latest Director's Survey on the NRMP site. Many programs only offer a certain percentage of interviews before the Dean's Letters (MSPE's) are sent on November 1st.

I applied to 20 programs and got 6 interviews within the first couple of weeks (mostly from the smaller programs to which I applied). The interview train has come to a grinding halt since then but I suspect it will pick up after programs have had time to look over the MSPE.

If you're not getting interviews, check and make sure your application is complete. Also, different programs have different Letter of Recommendation requirements. If they want a letter from the department chair and you haven't supplied that, well, you probably won't get an interview. Check every program's website for their application requirements.

Does anybody know if there's a way to get around the department chair's letter? I did all my rotations out of state but attempted to contact the department chair multiple times during the end of second year, with no response. I don't think many of the programs I applied to require it, but is there some way I can contact those programs to discuss it? Or am I pretty much out for those places?

Does anybody know if there's a way to get around the department chair's letter? I did all my rotations out of state but attempted to contact the department chair multiple times during the end of second year, with no response. I don't think many of the programs I applied to require it, but is there some way I can contact those programs to discuss it? Or am I pretty much out for those places?

I find it pretty atrocious that the Chair's office would not get back to you regarding a meeting. With that said, I don't know if I would even want a letter from him/her. Have any other students had the same problem? If the Chair is not meeting with any students then I would contact an Assoc. Dean or another administrator in the medical school. Maybe they could contact the Chair to see what the issue is. If you cannot get a Chair letter, then I would contact the programs that you applied to that requested a Chair letter and explain the situation to them.

It may not be too late. Does your dean have any sway or ability to help? I think most programs that require a dean's letter don't require it until Nov 1st. In medicine at my shool, for instance, the chairman's letter goes out with the MSPE on November 1st.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure they call it a requirement for a reason...

penn, ucsf

anyone else hear back?

How many programs did all of you apply to? I'm applying next year and want to gauge.

Thanks folks. How did you guys whittle your list down to 25? I've found over 60 university and university-affiliated programs within 5 hours of 'home'. The ability to get home easily is one of my biggest factor but my list is still clearly too long...

Thanks folks. How did you guys whittle your list down to 25? I've found over 60 university and university-affiliated programs within 5 hours of 'home'. The ability to get home easily is one of my biggest factor but my list is still clearly too long...

Research v. Community priority is a good place to start. Something tells me you don't live in Montana.

You have all of summer and next year to decide on this. Why is it taking priority over enjoying life post step 1? :)

Research v. Community priority is a good place to start. Something tells me you don't live in Montana.

You have all of summer and next year to decide on this. Why is it taking priority over enjoying life post step 1? :)

I'm actually post step 2 now :banana:. I finished 3rd year and I'm on a year long research fellowship. Not surprisingly I'm interested in programs that have research opportunities. Watching the threads on here and seeing my classmates go through the process brings it all to the forefront in my mind.