Rejections!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYNapplicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
please list programs that you have rejections from...

As for me:
Mayo Clinic- Minn.

Members don't see this ad.

University of Washington Seattle
Mayo Clinic
University of Michigan

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Washington
Baylor
U of Michigan
UNC
Vanderbuilt

You win some and you lose some!

penn hospital
albert einstein PA:(

:( I got rejected from:

U of Michigan
UNC

I'm sure there will be more to come...

NYU

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU (And I did an away rotation there. I thought they gave interviews to people that do electives there. Has anyone heard about that?)

I quite admit that I did not think pre-interview rejections were part of the landscape in OB/GYN. That they exist kinda freaks me out because I've been interested in this area (have added psych to the list as well) for several years now.

Just what are these programs looking for (UNC, Mich, etc.) that you guys didn't have? Like so many other fields, is it essentially a numbers game, the step 1 score being the primary figure in play?

Judd

For those who received rejections, which places have offered interviews so far?

NYU....*sigh*

Sorry about that rejection from NYU, JZZZZZZ. That's rough....

rejection from BIDMC. oh well.

Got one from BIDMC as well. I am actually happy about it, as I never thought I would match in Boston and it saves me time and stress of having to interview there :)

Well, I'm joining the BIDMC crew. Oh well. I sent my application in on November 1 as an afterthought. My USMLE score didn't arrive until the 2nd, so maybe they decided to be sticklers about it. Either that or they just didn't want me. ;) At this point, I'm starting to be relieved to have some of the decisions taken out of my hands.

i'm going to join the BWH/MGH crowd--got their rejection email this morning. i was also waitlisted at Michigan... and life goes on :)

Vandy
UNC - At least I'm not the only one.......sniff, sniff (seems like we could start a club!):oops:

Add UPENN, BIDMA, Brigham, NYU...
what a terrible day :(

I got the ax from UPENN as well. Oh well, I don't know that I am really the ivy personality anyway. I am just bummed that it is one less program that I can match at in Philly.

add me to the list of people who got a rejection from UPENN today.

UPenn here too! The email was short and sweet. They didn't waste too much time consoling. ha :oops:

BTW Missylee, thanks for the sympathy on NYU. It's surprising to see so many of us SDNers being rejected by them. ARG!

rejected: uwash-seattle, stanford.

i still haven't heard from, oh, 14 programs. what to think of this? i mean, i have 11 interviews so i'm not super nervous, but i'm not sure what to think. these are all programs out west (i'm a midwesterner), but still. why the delay?

add bwh, upenn, and upitt.

this blows. still 9 schools to hear from...hopefully they are not all "regretfully we can not interview you" e-mails...

Newest rejections: UPenn, UPitt, Georgetown

Add that to:
U of Wash
U of Mich
U of NC
U of Virginia
Baylor
BWH-MGH
Vanderbilt

BU--what the heck?

Hi all. I am a 3rd year med student hoping to go into OB/Gyn. I am just curious about what kind of board scores you all have and if you are AOA. Seems like you are all getting interviews at awesome schools. Congrats and Good luck! And thanks for any advice.

Hi all. I am a 3rd year med student hoping to go into OB/Gyn. I am just curious about what kind of board scores you all have and if you are AOA. Seems like you are all getting interviews at awesome schools. Congrats and Good luck! And thanks for any advice.

I am starting to feel bad about myself...nothing but rejections: UPitt
I also got a might as well be reject from St. Peter's in NJ that they would not evaluate my application without Step 2 completed, which just sucks. I never remember seeing that on their websight and not everyone can get it written by Nov. I for one had a baby and can't finish it until Dec. Oh well...Jersey was looking less appealing anyway as of late.

got the :thumbdown: from Johns Hopkins today.

Hi! I am definitely not AOA, and my board scores were "ok" for my class - 226Step 1, 220 Step 2 (class average for both was 230+); I'm also 8 away from the middle third as far as class rank(yes, I know, it means I'm in the bottom, but it feels better to say it that way!). With that being said . . . I got interviews at all 20 schools I applied to, which includes some of the more competitive University programs in the southeast (Duke, UNC). From the feedback I've gotten from interviewers and the PD at my home school, they look for an overall picture, not just numbers; other things they care about are volunteer and research experience, good letters of rec, and a strong interest in Ob-Gyn (which means a solid personal statement) - i.e. someone who won't drop their program halfway through to go be a pediatrician, and a half-decent human being. I have no way of proving any of this, it's just an opinion based on my personal experience, but I thought I'd share ;)

Got my second regrets today: UCSF. C'est la vie. I was leaning toward no on them, too... but they got to do the rejecting first.

Rejection city! Two today! Stanford and UCSF. I didn't want to go there anyway.