RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did she look at the eclipse?!?
Yeah but with actual eclipse glasses and welding helmets! But that was weeks ago!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was an industrial one at their work.
"Industrial" doesn't really mean anything here. Welders helmets have different shade numbers that are used for different types of welding, and not all shades are appropriate for looking at an eclipse. Only shade 14 is safe.

Reactions: 1 user
"Industrial" doesn't really mean anything here. Welders helmets have different shade numbers that are used for different types of welding, and not all shades are appropriate for looking at an eclipse. Only shade 14 is safe.
Should clarify- my dad owns an industrial pump repair company and they do a lot of welding. I don't know what shade exactly they used, but I know that my dad was planning and preparing for the eclipse for 4 months prior. I know he got the right stuff.

NASA website said shade 12 is the minimum but some people still find that shade too bright. Most welding helmets are 10 or 11, but if her dad was preparing for months, he more than likely ordered the correct shade for his helmets if that's not what they were already using.

Got a message from my mom saying that she had to go to the ER this morning and just got out of surgery to repair a hole in her retina... so yeah...
Rather late, sorry, but I'm glad to hear that it sounds like she's doing ok!

They've changed how this looks on mobile for me again. I DONT LIKE CHANGE SDN!

Reactions: 1 users
WAIT WHAT IS/WAS CHANGED
It's like they surprised someone with Windows 10.
It was pretty nice that there was a tab to change the skin back to "normal" at the bottom of the page though

Members don't see this ad :)
It's like they surprised someone with Windows 10.
It was pretty nice that there was a tab to change the skin back to "normal" at the bottom of the page though
**** windows 10 and the forced updates. It keeps causing our radiology computer to crash and every update means that our PACS doesn't work again

I also preferred coffee. Now I use Blue 2017. 2013 is good too...sometimes 2017 is glitchy and I revert back to 2013. I like the way the alerts and inbox thing scrolls with the content in Blue 2017.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a news article from my local news station getting a lot of hits right now. A local horse has been laterally recumbent for almost a year, has pressure sores, overgrown hooves, and is emaciated/dehydrated. Owner claims the horse is under vet care despite that this animal supposedly hasn't moved in months (per the neighbors).

What do the comments say? "Wow, of course the vet is trying to drag out treatment to get more money!" "WOW, this vet needs an investigation." And so on. Do people not realize that an owner can refuse treatment/euthanasia?

Unless I'm thinking of something else, some people are more prone to it than others. I had an eye exam this year and the Dr mentioned something like 'and I'm sure you know about this, but your left eye is prone to retinal detachment . . .' NOPE NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THIS. It only makes me like 1% more likely to get a tear, but it's possible. Maybe your mom had the same issue with her eye? It sounds like she had it addressed quickly and that's the most important thing. It's highly treatable as long as you have surgery right away, from what my Dr told me.

I'm glad she's doing well and enjoying California!

One of our <surgeons> just had a retinal detachment a month ago. Sent a chill down my spine to think about being in his position.

Treatment (if I recall?) is lasering it back down in several spots and giving it time to heal. Grain of salt, etc. Oh. And I'm pretty sure they created a very mild glaucoma, as well. High enough to help hold the retina in place, not too high to impede blood flow.

His did heal. Not sure his vision is 100%, but it's good 'nuff that he's back cutting.

Bought raspberries yesterday. Accidentally left them out last night and they're all covered in mold today. Reminded me of exactly why I do not buy raspberries even though I love them.

My 2 year old agility dog has had 2 vagal/syncopal episodes in the past 2 months. I'm legit freaking out here after the second one and the cardiologist isn't open until tomorrow. Pup is bright alert and her usual obnoxious self but my brain is focusing on the horrible things that could be causing this. It's probably nothing but a large part of me is convinced it's going to be a long term issue and now I can't relax because my brain won't stop.

My 2 year old agility dog has had 2 vagal/syncopal episodes in the past 2 months. I'm legit freaking out here after the second one and the cardiologist isn't open until tomorrow. Pup is bright alert and her usual obnoxious self but my brain is focusing on the horrible things that could be causing this. It's probably nothing but a large part of me is convinced it's going to be a long term issue and now I can't relax because my brain won't stop.
Were you able to see the cardiologist today?

Hey guys. I noticed we don't have a rant it here in the dental fourm, but it's better to rant here anyway lol.

I am sick of postponing my DAT lol. I have already postponed it 5 times and looking at the 6th time.

Meanwhile, a prometric company is getting rich over my re-scheduling fees lol.

Echo scheduled for next Friday. Rads show possible right sided enlargement. Auscultation and blood pressure normal. Blood work and ACTH results should be back tomorrow. So I'm just going to freak out for the next 9 days. Ugh.
:( I keep all my digits crossed for her!

Spent some time learning hand throws about 2 weeks and got good at them. But they just posted a new set of videos where the throws are done differently, and the instructor moves too fast to see what her hands are doing, so now I'm annoyed that I have to relearn how to do it and do one left handed that I learned right handed the first time. That's what I get for listening when they told us to start practicing early instead of waiting until a few days before lab.

So I go to a small D2 school maybe 5000 students. Our largest class sizes are 100-150 in the base classes then all advanced courses are like 10-20 people. Tuition for 15crh is about $6000. Person teaching only has a master's degree and at the beginning of the course stated we will have a quiz every weekend and it's stated in the syllabus. With that in mind this happened today in my anatomy course.
Me:How did you do the on quiz?
Friend:Shoot I forgot!
Random dude in snarky attitude: It's ok I forgot the other day too. This guy gets paid $100,000/year and he can't bother to tell us about the quiz?
Me&friend are both astounded...first of all you are in college and he said at the beginning of the semester we have a quiz every weekend so that's on you. His job isn't to baby sit us. He must also think prof lives in a mansion and drives a Maserati :whistle:

Pretty sure I caught the flu from my friend and it's the week of our anatomy exam. I need to study but feel like complete crap. :(

I'm so sorry :(. Is it likely the vandals will be found?
in all likelihood, no. We have cameras and all, but in a lot of cases like this it’s easier to just have insurance pay for repairs. The last thing we really want to do is further piss anyone off... I can only imagine that if the vandals were actually found and punished that they’d find retribution and it’d be a lot worse. :(
thanks cowgirl92. It’s just really frustrating. My mom went up there yesterday and apparently it’s pretty bad.

I'm sorry @cdoconn that makes my blood boil and my heart hurt!