RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty sure I caught the flu from my friend and it's the week of our anatomy exam. I need to study but feel like complete crap. :(
Sorry ... hope you feel better.

[If you don't begin to feel better, are you able to ask your prof for a make-up exam due to your (contagious) illness?]

Members don't see this ad.

Dear douchey teammate who constantly mansplains our softball games to me...SHUT UP! I've played since I was ten, and if I make running or fielding errors? Who cares? It's a coed recreational league specifically designed for everyone, from brand new players to highly skilled ones. Stfu and stop ruining the fun! :mad:

Dear douchey teammate who constantly mansplains our softball games to me...SHUT UP! I've played since I was ten, and if I make running or fielding errors? Who cares? It's a coed recreational league specifically designed for everyone, from brand new players to highly skilled ones. Stfu and stop ruining the fun! :mad:
Throw a softball at him. Then say oops and act all innocent. Maybe he'll learn. If not, at least you got to nail him with a ball.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently on what is known as a... stressful rotation at my school. I am trekking on through as I can... but dang, it would be nice to not have my heart rate be above 90 all the time or not have stress dreams every night...

You can do anything for two weeks, you can do anything for two weeks, you can do anything for two weeks....

Reactions: 4 users
We're going out of town for a few days next week. My sister normally watches my dog, but she just told me she won't be able to this time. I asked her a while ago so I'm a little bit miffed but it's an understandable reason.

So I'm stuck with what to do with my dog. We have boarding at work but it kind of sucks. My coworkers all have various reasons I assume they couldn't watch him, which again, totally understandable and I don't want to be an imposition. There's a pet resort nearby that looks nice but will be super pricey. I just found a small local company that I'm hoping can work us in for home visits but ugh.

We're going out of town for a few days next week. My sister normally watches my dog, but she just told me she won't be able to this time. I asked her a while ago so I'm a little bit miffed but it's an understandable reason.

So I'm stuck with what to do with my dog. We have boarding at work but it kind of sucks. My coworkers all have various reasons I assume they couldn't watch him, which again, totally understandable and I don't want to be an imposition. There's a pet resort nearby that looks nice but will be super pricey. I just found a small local company that I'm hoping can work us in for home visits but ugh.
Is he good with other dogs? I have a good friend that does boarding in her home. Not sure what her availability is but I can get you her contact info. She's the only one I trust to watch mine lol

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently on what is known as a... stressful rotation at my school. I am trekking on through as I can... but dang, it would be nice to not have my heart rate be above 90 all the time or not have stress dreams every night...

You can do anything for two weeks, you can do anything for two weeks, you can do anything for two weeks....
I'm sure the last couple of days have had emotions running particularly high on that service, hang in there! It's almost over!

I'm sure the last couple of days have had emotions running particularly high on that service, hang in there! It's almost over!
That's very true! Though, in general, it is definitely one of those rotations that everyone hears stories about...

And thanks! Day 7/10 we are almost there!

More of a comedic fail than a true rant...

But today I had a stress dream that I failed this rotation so miserably that I was sent back to high school :laugh:

Is Aquaphor lotion doggy crack? I have to use it at night during my radiation treatments, and then I have to almost fight Gracie--she tries to lick all off! She will sneak up, and the next thing I know, slurp.....yuck!!! nevermind, then I have to put a new coat of lotion on...

Is Aquaphor lotion doggy crack? I have to use it at night during my radiation treatments, and then I have to almost fight Gracie--she tries to lick all off! She will sneak up, and the next thing I know, slurp.....yuck!!! nevermind, then I have to put a new coat of lotion on...
My dog tries to lick regular lotion off my hands. Maybe she's just a weirdo, or maybe your dog is related to her. ;)

I just got a text message that one of my favorite frequent flyer patients from my internship is being euthanized this afternoon. He was a cute little Pom with GME. He came for a three day stay every 3-4 weeks for chemotherapy for over three years, plus a visit in between for bloodwork. He was spunky...this 3 kg dog demanded to be put in a Labrador-sized run rather than a small kennel. He'd apparently been having trouble with his kidneys and mobility, and his owners wanted to let him go on a good day rather than when he's in a crisis. It'll be a sad day for a lot of the staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dog tries to lick regular lotion off my hands. Maybe she's just a weirdo, or maybe your dog is related to her. ;)
You probably taste like yummy sheep. Lanolin. :)

You probably taste like yummy sheep. Lanolin. :)

O <insert bad words here>I had not thought to look for lanolin in this for some stupid reason. that would explain Max's sudden skin weirdness--it never dawned on me about the lotion. He has an intolerance to lanolin, and he has to sleep curled up next to my neck and shoulders. ( I really think chinese cresteds are part cat) I hate sleeping in a tshirt, but I guess I will for a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Being sick is a lot more fun when you're in high school and get to miss gym class. It's less fun when you're a time slip employee and you're losing a significant chunk of your pay check. :hungover:

Cardiologist confirmed cardiac enlargement, a murmur, and found regurgitation at two different valves and thickening of the mitral valve :( :( Said it's too mild to start any medications or change activity, which is good, but we have to recheck in a few months. Not sure if congenital (that four different DVMs missed hearing a murmur) or the start of something degenerative. I'm so glad I kept the pet insurance on her, because I couldn't afford this otherwise.

Cardiologist confirmed cardiac enlargement, a murmur, and found regurgitation at two different valves and thickening of the mitral valve :( :( Said it's too mild to start any medications or change activity, which is good, but we have to recheck in a few months. Not sure if congenital (that four different DVMs missed hearing a murmur) or the start of something degenerative. I'm so glad I kept the pet insurance on her, because I couldn't afford this otherwise.
:( Blergh. I am sorry to hear that.

:( Blergh. I am sorry to hear that.
Yeah. I was really hoping I was just being paranoid.
Her breeder is so awesome though - taking full sister to have screening echos done before she is bred in the spring, just in case it something congenital. She'll likely take the mother too. She was screened by OFA cardiac but no echo was done.

Sorry to hear but glad you've got the insurance to cover her.

As a vet student, I probably shouldn't be second guessing your cardiologist, but this goes against what our cardiology prof has taught us. He was one of the authors to publish a study in 2016 that showed that dogs with mitral valve disease and signs of cardiac enlargement greatly benefit from treatment with pimobendan. It was shown to prolong the pre-clinical period by ~15 months and increase lifespan. Again, I'm still a student and by no means a cardiologist, but it might be something to look into.

Here's the article:
Effect of Pimobendan in Dogs with Preclinical Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease and Cardiomegaly: The EPIC Study-A Randomized Clinical Trial. - PubMed - NCBI

As a vet student, I probably shouldn't be second guessing your cardiologist, but this goes against what our cardiology prof has taught us. He was one of the authors to publish a study in 2016 that showed that dogs with mitral valve disease and signs of cardiac enlargement greatly benefit from treatment with pimobendan. It was shown to prolong the pre-clinical period by ~15 months and increase lifespan. Again, I'm still a student and by no means a cardiologist, but it might be something to look into.

Here's the article:
Effect of Pimobendan in Dogs with Preclinical Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease and Cardiomegaly: The EPIC Study-A Randomized Clinical Trial. - PubMed - NCBI
I'm familiar with the study, and we talked about it. It's more complicated than that though. There aren't enough long term studies in young dogs pr performance dogs, and there a few older/smaller studies where long term pimo use -caused- cardiac hypertrophy. EPIC study dogs were all >6 years old with worse measurements than mine, and the study duration was only for 3 years with an additional 2 years of follow up. My dog just turned 2 last month, and the mitral valve isn't her main problem area.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm familiar with the study, and we talked about it. It's more complicated than that though. There aren't enough long term studies in young dogs pr performance dogs, and there a few older/smaller studies where long term pimo use -caused- cardiac hypertrophy. EPIC study dogs were all >6 years old with worse measurements than mine, and the study duration was only for 3 years with an additional 2 years of follow up. My dog just turned 2 last month, and the mitral valve isn't her main problem area.

Yup. I've seen that study cited inappropriately many times.

It really would be a great example to use in teaching vet students how to evaluate the limits of any particular focused research study. It's dangerous to extrapolate too much.

(Not meant as criticism of @Staffie .... kudos for looking to evidence-based medicine for direction! Just be cautious about the limits of what you're using.)

Yup. I've seen that study cited inappropriately many times.

It really would be a great example to use in teaching vet students how to evaluate the limits of any particular focused research study. It's dangerous to extrapolate too much.

(Not meant as criticism of @Staffie .... kudos for looking to evidence-based medicine for direction! Just be cautious about the limits of what you're using.)

My PI said that I will have wasted two years if I don't finish, but I told her I learned how to evaluate science, so the time was extremely valuable.

Reactions: 7 users
i'm so sorry that your dog has heart disease so young, cowgirla. i'm so paranoid about my dog having any joint issues since he's also meant to be a performance dog, i can't imagine dealing with something that's so much more life-limiting at a young age. :(

The irony of being threatened ("I will fight you for this" and not in a joking way) for the first spay in surgery/being **** talked about to anyone who will listen (because I missed the first castration to go to AAZV with approval from the surgery coordinator) by someone who is involved in the 'wellness' stuff for our school is not lost on me.

Hi everyone! I've never posted on this thread before but I'm so frustrated with myself and I hope it okay if I whine about my choices for a sec.

I am from the US and in school the UK and I kinda hate it here. I've been here almost a month and the culture is not for me. Therenis a VERY big drinking culture here and I feel immature and out of place if I participate and lonely if I don't. I also don't care for the school itself because it is so incredibly unorganized and not at all like I thought it would be from all my other interactions with them. To top all this off, I've been sick for the better part of a week so the constant sickness is wearing on me. I used to be an actual adult with a job, a car, an apartment, and a dog. Now I feel like a grown person trying to fit into a world made for young college students.

I'm thinking about trying to transfer, or at least investigating my options because I realize that English culture and I are probably never going to mesh. It's so much different living here than as a tourist (Duh! I know...) and I miss my dogs and family and not feeling so incredibly out of place! It seems like everyone else loves it here and I'm regretting choosing here. Btw, if anyone has any advice on transfers or adjusting to the UK, I would be grateful.

Hi everyone! I've never posted on this thread before but I'm so frustrated with myself and I hope it okay if I whine about my choices for a sec.

I am from the US and in school the UK and I kinda hate it here. I've been here almost a month and the culture is not for me. Therenis a VERY big drinking culture here and I feel immature and out of place if I participate and lonely if I don't. I also don't care for the school itself because it is so incredibly unorganized and not at all like I thought it would be from all my other interactions with them. To top all this off, I've been sick for the better part of a week so the constant sickness is wearing on me. I used to be an actual adult with a job, a car, an apartment, and a dog. Now I feel like a grown person trying to fit into a world made for young college students.

I'm thinking about trying to transfer, or at least investigating my options because I realize that English culture and I are probably never going to mesh. It's so much different living here than as a tourist (Duh! I know...) and I miss my dogs and family and not feeling so incredibly out of place! It seems like everyone else loves it here and I'm regretting choosing here. Btw, if anyone has any advice on transfers or adjusting to the UK, I would be grateful.
Paging @DVMDream!

Just ignore them for an hour or so... ;) :p
Haha. You pitchforkers are just gonna have to cackle gleefully as you melt some ice cubes who have declared you poor excuses for veterinarians since you waste all your time answering poorly worded questions for those in need on a forum.
mob.gif

Haha. You pitchforkers are just gonna have to cackle gleefully as you melt some ice cubes who have declared you poor excuses for veterinarians since you waste all your time answering poorly worded questions for those in need on a forum.
mob.gif
I was confused for a solid two minutes because I was trying to think why we were talking about using ice cubes again. But that was several months ago, so I realized you meant it differently hahaha

I was confused for a solid two minutes because I was trying to think why we were talking about using ice cubes again. But that was several months ago, so I realized you meant it differently hahaha
Try not to get excited at every mention of ice

Reactions: 5 users
I'm mad because we got our first legit troll in YEARS and @Lupin21 had to be a party pooper and close the thread.

sigh

I know! My ****ty vet feelings didn't even get to reply. Typical Lupin, keeping the crappy vets from getting a chance to express THEIR feelings.

Last edited:
mob.gif

I mean, we're all joking around, but I will say (and I've pretty much said parts of this before): it's always the most challenging wherever you're at. As a pre-vet you think it's the hardest thing in the world. Then admissions are just the Worst Thing Ever. Then as a vet student - omg, this is even tougher. Then real life practicing medicine - just discouraging as all hell on way too many days. Good days, but too many "wow, people suck" days. And school starts to look not so bad. And too many things vying for your attention. And too many people wanting volunteer help from you and they magically never really seem to be grateful - whether it's that long-lost friend on Facebook who suddenly has a question and then ignores your advice and doesn't thank you, to the vet student who asks to shadow, who you let shadow, who you give your teaching time to, who then vanishes without so much as a "thx for your time!"

Which is a long, convoluted way of saying: I find it harder and harder to find a reason to answer pre-vet and vet-student questions. Too high a percentage of "yeah well, that's, just, like, just your opinion, man" or "you don't know MY story" or other special snowflake type of responses. I don't expect to be put on a pedestal or anything, and I sure as hell am not right all the time, but ... if you ask a question that I have a better perspective on than you do, I do expect you to at least consider my reply seriously and respectfully. And I'm not impressed with the percentage of pre-vets who do that. Lots of super amazing pre-vets who do, but a surprising number of people who make me think Internet anonymity is the worst thing that ever happened.

It <really> struck me when I was doing interviews last year. Was my first year interviewing, and I sorta expected that it would be a pile of generally good candidates. Like, not a ton of extremes. I thought there'd be some amazing candidates, and then a pile of adequate candidates. What I found out was that there are an astonishing number of people that you interview and you're like "omg, no, please go find another career" and you wonder how they got to the interview table.

Anyway. Rambling. Night. Gotta go make sushi.

Reactions: 6 users