RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes that is very true haha. And I agree. I don't think I'm better than them I just thought my knowledge might be helpful but I guess it's ok if people don't want it :). I know I'm far from the most knowledgeable
Welcome to the life of a vet whose services are declined when the pet really needs them :laugh:

Although I guess it's not really 'okay' in that situation...but you get it, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes that is very true haha. And I agree. I don't think I'm better than them I just thought my knowledge might be helpful but I guess it's ok if people don't want it :). I know I'm far from the most knowledgeable

My own sister asked me for advice on school loans. Told me should could afford to pay for her community college classes out of pocket but she really wanted to get student loans. I told her don't, she did it anyway. A few year later now, she says she shouldn't have taken out the student loans. Don't worry, they eventually realize you were being helpful at some point. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Please don't take this as me bragging/gloating about my tuition; I just thought it was valuable in response to the financial concerns. I would have a really hard time justifying that cost myself, especially after undergrad.
Gosh BBC, stop gloating. We all know you're a weird Canadian. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the life of a vet whose services are declined when the pet really needs them :laugh:

Although I guess it's not really 'okay' in that situation...but you get it, lol.

Oh my goodness I soooo can't wait for those situations!!! :rolleyes:

Please don't take this as me bragging/gloating about my tuition; I just thought it was valuable in response to the financial concerns. I would have a really hard time justifying that cost myself, especially after undergrad.
This is me being legitimacy happy for you! I'm glad other countries don't have to do deal with this s***storm.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone ever get annoyed at the wide eyed pre-vet volunteers who come in to vet clinics and clearly know nothing about vet med? Then they ask you for advice etc and you explain what it's really like and they just blow you off or don't even listen :mad:.

One of the girls is also just way too awake for me in the morning. Like please give me some space until I've had more coffee
Everything I wanted to say has been said already, but I was definitely that wide eyed, too cheerful person when I started out. Hahahaha it was bad. Aka I had the impression that a good vet would never have to let an animal die because they were smart enough to fix them-granted I was innocent/ 16 at the time, but still. Once upon a time I had hopes and dreams. :laugh:

I'm definitely the person who is wide awake and way too cheerful at 5:30am. :laugh:
That's me for the first month of starting a new job but then I get tired of doing that and think of having to do that for the rest of my life and cry a little. But I still keep an outwardly positive personality.

And no, I've never told anyone point blank that they won't make it, I wouldn't do that. But I've been very honest with people about this profession and what thoughts go on in my head as I care for patients. And I do take the time to teach new people the cool things we can do and the things we see... as a number of the pre-vets have seen. :)
While some people berate you for being openly honest with pre-vetties, I didn't realize that needed a person/vet like you until last year. The clinic I work for hired a new vet, and we talked about the hard stuff that I had no idea was an actual problem. I still had a slight disillusion that once you make it to vet school everything will be better, but she was fresh out. She talked to me about being IS and still having $160,000 in loans with a 6% interest rate, how some of her classmates had to leave school because they had mental breakdowns, how just draining in general vet school was, and that she wouldn't do it again if she had a choice. At the time I thought she just didn't want me to be a vet, but I realize she was wanting to warn me of the things she wasn't warned of. So in my perspective, you should stay bitter and cynical. It suits you. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Doctor-S is throwing medical information at us like:
tumblr_ny2isy46EM1t5arjco1_500.gif

But I'm in luck because
giphy.gif

:laugh::biglove:
These pictures made me smile big time - great choices @cdoconn! :)

So update on my pup who has lymphoma.

We've been doing chemo and it seemed to be working. Then last week she started slowing down a bit and her abdomen became distended along with her lymph nodes going back up. We decided to do X-rays. Thankfully nothing related to the lymphoma was suspected and she was constipated but we saw that her heart was very enlarged along with her liver and she also has a gall stone. The doctor recommended we do an ultrasound but I just don't think I can shell out any more cash along with chemo.

Her hematocrit was also too low to do chemo this week and my regular vet said the chemo might make her heart worse. So now I have to talk to the oncologist to see if continuing chemo is the right thing to do :(. But I guess first things first is to see if her numbers are up this next week

We've been doing chemo and it seemed to be working. Then last week she started slowing down a bit and her abdomen became distended along with her lymph nodes going back up. We decided to do X-rays. Thankfully nothing related to the lymphoma was suspected and she was constipated but we saw that her heart was very enlarged along with her liver and she also has a gall stone. The doctor recommended we do an ultrasound but I just don't think I can shell out any more cash along with chemo.

Her hematocrit was also too low to do chemo this week and my regular vet said the chemo might make her heart worse. So now I have to talk to the oncologist to see if continuing chemo is the right thing to do :(. But I guess first things first is to see if her numbers are up this next week
@Momokeen sorry your pup is ailing. Hope you get some good numbers next week.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's rough. :( I hope she has some improvement next week! I've never had an animal go through this, but having a pet get sick is really one of the worst things. I hope you're doing okay.

Spent about an hour outside around 130 AM last night due to the carbon monoxide detector going off. Fire department couldn't find an obvious cause but were getting mild elevations in readings. They unhooked our oven/stove to be on the safe side.

That's rough. :( I hope she has some improvement next week! I've never had an animal go through this, but having a pet get sick is really one of the worst things. I hope you're doing okay.

Thank you I hope so too! It really does suck. She's such a sweet girl and I'm not ready to lose her but I might have to be. I'm doing ok though :)

Roommate's bf has been here for at least the past 4 days, which isn't the part I care about. The part I care about is that he's been sick like the whole time and she's starting to think it may be the flu. He's a nice enough guy so far but please go infect your own place. Some of us can't afford to get sick.

Roommate's bf has been here for at least the past 4 days, which isn't the part I care about. The part I care about is that he's been sick like the whole time and she's starting to think it may be the flu. He's a nice enough guy so far but please go infect your own place. Some of us can't afford to get sick.
I hated it when my roommate in the dorms would insist her boyfriend stay with her while he was sick so she could "take care of him." Like, our room is the size of a shoebox, all you're going to do is make him microwavable noodles, and he's gross anyways. I think I got one of the worst cases of the flu I've ever had when she made him stay over for a few days :mad:

Guess who's currently in the ER because she couldn't breathe and got hypoxic! (Oxygen level down to 82)

Spoiler alert: it's me

On the bright side, I can really see myself specializing in ECC after vet school!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Guess who's currently in the ER because she couldn't breathe and got hypoxic! (Oxygen level down to 82)

Spoiler alert: it's me

On the bright side, I can really see myself specializing in ECC after vet school!
Oh eggy:cryi:
I'm glad you're at the hospital. Tell them to get the elephant out of there and to get your bucket men working again.

Oh eggy:cryi:
I'm glad you're at the hospital. Tell them to get the elephant out of there and to get your bucket men working again.
I took a selfie for SDN feat my 82 pulse ox and my IV catheter but it was very very blurry. Now I'll share the cuter one feat the hospital bed.

*poof*
IMG_0428.JPG

Last edited:
I took a selfie for SDN feat my 82 pulse ox and my IV catheter but it was very very blurry. Now I'll share the cuter one feat the hospital bed.

(No quotes please, will be taking down eventually)
@cdoconn I wish I was there to be supportive. 82 pulse oxygen and the "elephant" in your chest merits further evaluation - especially given that you've already been diagnosed with pneumonia, and have already received three different medications.

If your medical team doesn't provide you with the very best medical care and treatment - and get you on the road to full recovery - they're gonna have to answer to ME ... and I ain't no passive pussycat when it comes to patient care!

Here is a gentle hug for you ...

( ( ( cdoconn ) ) )

Hope you feel better! :love:

[Please keep us posted.]

Reactions: 10 users
Glad you're going home eggy:love:
You look cute, especially for someone who is so sick, egg!

And feel better :( glad you're at the hospital!!!
Adorbs as ever, Eggy. I hope you feel better soon!! :biglove:
I'm sorry egg, feel better damn it :rage:
I hope they finally figure out what is wrong with you and you get the appropriate treatment!
Feel better cdoc!

Awww y'all are so sweet!!! Thank you so much! I'm already feeling soooo much better. I just woke up from a post-ER/ post- IV benadryl nap, and I'm still feeling much better. I definitely think that it was exactly what I needed (but omg so many tests! I felt like a celebrity- I was either a 2 or a 3 on ESI and I had multiple people working on me simultaneously. It was incredibly efficient)!

Reactions: 7 users
@cdoconn I wish I was there to be supportive. 82 pulse oxygen and the "elephant" in your chest merits further evaluation - especially given that you've already been diagnosed with pneumonia, and have already received three different medications.

If your medical team doesn't provide you with the very best medical care and treatment - and get you on the road to full recovery - they're gonna have to answer to ME ... and I ain't no passive pussycat when it comes to patient care!

Here is a gentle hug for you ...

( ( ( cdoconn ) ) )

Hope you feel better! :love:

[Please keep us posted.]
I responded to this one separately because it's a longer one haha! A chest X ray confirmed that the pneumonia either went away or was misdiagnosed! :biglove: Doesn't explain the 82 pulse ox upon arrival, but by the time I had left I was stable at 100 for an hour! Apparently the underlying acute bronchitis is still around and was heavily exasperated by my asthma. Chest X rays, complete blood panels, EKG, saline fluids, Benadryl IV, levalbuterol, lorazepam. I don't even feel the elephant anymore!

Thanks to everyone on SDN for being super supportive, including you @Doctor-S !!! You're super sweet and the mental picture of you coming down here to yell at my doctors makes me smile! :laugh:

Reactions: 10 users
Awww y'all are so sweet!!! Thank you so much! I'm already feeling soooo much better. I just woke up from a post-ER/ post- IV benadryl nap, and I'm still feeling much better. I definitely think that it was exactly what I needed (but omg so many tests! I felt like a celebrity- I was either a 2 or a 3 on ESI and I had multiple people working on me simultaneously. It was incredibly efficient)!
Of course they treated you like a celebrity, they've probably never had an egg as a patient before. ;)

Reactions: 9 users
Of course they treated you like a celebrity, they've probably never had an egg as a patient before. ;)
they were actually just standing around "eeeeerrrrrrr do we call a vet? Or what?" They obviously didn't call a vet because everyone knows that veterinarians aren't real doctors and they were better off letting the actual doctors treat the egg. :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
they were actually just standing around "eeeeerrrrrrr do we call a vet? Or what?" They obviously didn't call a vet because everyone knows that veterinarians aren't real doctors and they were better off letting the actual doctors treat the egg. :laugh:
Well duh, they only treat everything but humans, and therefore, aren't real Dohctours. (Said in a heavy French accent.)

I responded to this one separately because it's a longer one haha! A chest X ray confirmed that the pneumonia either went away or was misdiagnosed! :biglove: Doesn't explain the 82 pulse ox upon arrival, but by the time I had left I was stable at 100 for an hour! Apparently the underlying acute bronchitis is still around and was heavily exasperated by my asthma. Chest X rays, complete blood panels, EKG, saline fluids, Benadryl IV, levalbuterol, lorazepam. I don't even feel the elephant anymore!

Thanks to everyone on SDN for being super supportive, including you @Doctor-S !!! You're super sweet and the mental picture of you coming down here to yell at my doctors makes me smile! :laugh:
:biglove::biglove::biglove:Glad they could do the elephantectomy and get that elephant gone! Are the bucket men back from their lunch break now?

:biglove::biglove::biglove:Glad they could do the elephantectomy and get that elephant gone! Are the bucket men back from their lunch break now?
Yes! The elepahantectomy was a success! The bucket men are back from lunch break and are having to work over time to make up for their week of slacking off, but things seem to be getting better!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Minor rant:

Parked my truck (complete with >2 yards of compost in the bed) in the backyard yesterday while I was unloading and doing garden chores. Didn't have time to finish shoveling it all out since I got called out on an emergency.

Didn't think to check the weather, left the truck parked there.

Now it's pouring rain, and supposed to continue pouring for a few days aka my yard is a mud pit. I have 4WD but dang it's going to tear up the grass with all that extra weight in the back :( I've got an acre of land and the truck is as far from the driveway as you can get so it's going to leave a mess.

Bigger rant.
Someone peed on my bed. WTF dogs?
Nothing like sitting on your bed, in the dark only to be in a giant cold wet spot. I'm horrified. Especially considering neither of my dogs are allowed on the furniture. And I'm guessing it was my "good" dog since the pup is confined when I'm not home. Ugh talk about spite for being on energy restrictions and being forced to tolerate twice daily pills, warm packs and stretches. Said dog is not supposed to be jumping up and down but I figured I didn't need to crate her all day because hey, my dogs don't go on the furniture.

Said dog is now going to be on crate rest until I can get the waterproof mattress protector washed and put back on.

Bigger rant.
Someone peed on my bed. WTF dogs?
Nothing like sitting on your bed, in the dark only to be in a giant cold wet spot. I'm horrified. Especially considering neither of my dogs are allowed on the furniture. And I'm guessing it was my "good" dog since the pup is confined when I'm not home. Ugh talk about spite for being on energy restrictions and being forced to tolerate twice daily pills, warm packs and stretches. Said dog is not supposed to be jumping up and down but I figured I didn't need to crate her all day because hey, my dogs don't go on the furniture.

Said dog is now going to be on crate rest until I can get the waterproof mattress protector washed and put back on.
Ug. I'm sorry. My cat peed on my bed when I got home from my Memphis trip, and I found it just as I was starting to fall asleep. Not fun at all.

@cdoconn I am very happy to hear you're feeling better! :)

I was also delighted to learn you were surrounded by an eggscellent team of medical professionals (see picture below) and treated eggsquisitely!

happyeggscarton.jpg

Luckily for them, I didn't have to do any yelling or crack any shells!

Hope you feel even better by tomorrow! Lots of people care about you!
grouphug.gif

Reactions: 5 users
@cdoconn I am very happy to hear you're feeling better! :)

I was also delighted to learn you were surrounded by an eggscellent team of medical professionals (see picture below) and treated eggsquisitely!

View attachment 217394

Luckily for them, I didn't have to do any yelling or crack any shells!

Hope you feel even better by tomorrow! Lots of people care about you! View attachment 217398
Hahaahha oh Doctor-S, you crack me up! :laugh::laugh: Thank you for being so sweet!:biglove:

Woke up this morning trembling and with fever, headache, and nausea. Ugh. I really can't afford to miss class as I am already behind behind but at the same time I don't want to have to leave in the middle of anatomy lab to go hurl after whiffing all the formalin, either... this sucks.

I am just hoping that I feel better tomorrow as we've got a pathology exam. I'm not nearly as worried about that particular class as I am for anatomy at this point, but still.

Woke up this morning trembling and with fever, headache, and nausea. Ugh. I really can't afford to miss class as I am already behind behind but at the same time I don't want to have to leave in the middle of anatomy lab to go hurl after whiffing all the formalin, either... this sucks.

I am just hoping that I feel better tomorrow as we've got a pathology exam. I'm not nearly as worried about that particular class as I am for anatomy at this point, but still.
Being sick during exams SUCKS. Feel better soon!!

This. I'm not a declaw fan either, and really try to get people to go for other methods first.
But, for the declaws I do - they get mu opioids (bigger/older cats get CRIs), nsaids, local blocks with bupivicaine/buprenorphine, nsaids/gabapentin/buprenex SR to go home. I keep them two nights in the clinic and they tend to do nicely. Most are trying to bat you through the cage door by the morning post op and playing.
Can I bring mine to you? I keep getting slashed on a regular basis. I even looked at buying xxx-small dog boots for it.

Can I bring mine to you? I keep getting slashed on a regular basis. I even looked at buying xxx-small dog boots for it.
Have you tried the nail covers?

I just trim my cats, but they got used to putting up with my crazy a long time ago and just give me "I can be patient with the insane human" looks when I pull out the clippers now.

It seems this is going to be the year of sadness, death and blisters. Blisters are dumb. It seemed like a reasonable sequela to walking 80 miles in hawaii, but not for just normal everyday stuff here at home :mad:

@SandstormDVM oh, no ... you're ailing, too.

Hope you feel better and do well on your path exam! :cat:

When one of your teachers sends out an angry email to the class about finding something done wrong, but as you read the description, you slowly realize...wait...that was ME. oh. my. god.

I felt so bad and embarrassed that I replied basically saying sorry it was my fault, the whole class shouldn't be reprimanded for my forgetfulness. But she responded that vet med is still a team and it wasn't just one person's responsibility to carry out a task. Ugh, I hope it doesn't get brought up again in tomorrow's lab. I don't think she'd put me on blast in front of the whole class but it's also not exactly hard for anyone to narrow down who did it, out of me and the few other people who handled those instruments.

Big hugs and love to everybody going through tough times ❤ ❤ ❤