Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part 9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread, part 9!! This is just a fun thread for random conversations and is frequented by some pretty awesome folks! :D Everyone is welcome!

lol%20keyboard.jpg

Final tally from part 8:
beary 1,307
Nikki2002 1,060
Anastasis 962
jlw9698 879
WilliamsF1 584
Arsenic 584
megboo 467
mshheaddoc 458
lilithny 379
Dr Durden 376
TypeA 357
oxeye 346
Mr. Tee 338
scentimint 322
UMP 296
BrettBatchelor 228
R.P. McMurphy 208
Crazy Canuck 177
supernova33418 168
gujuDoc 114
Hernandez 83
MollyMalone 81
QofQuimica 62
RAD11 53
Pemberley 24
Celina 13
Penny2004 12
gradu8in2003 12
R.P.McMurphy 8
EvoDevo 8
baylormed 6
rcd 4
Bismuth 4
BeatrixKiddo 3
Cozmosis 3
DRKUBA 3
corbis11 2
DrKnowItAll 2
Four 2
da_donut 1
physiclas87 1
smuwillobrien 1
polarbingbear 1
simpleman 1
sweetstuff25 1
supafield 1
icey 1
Darlaa 1

Members don't see this ad.

Totally looking forward to having fun with the Canuckleheads up north ;)

Naw - we'll be in Ottawa and I hear it's really nice in the summer.

Ottawa is a gorgeous city...lots to do in the summer. I would like to go up this winter to skate on the canal, but the weather hasn't been cooperating lately :(

No kidding! The dreams during finals (when you're super stressed) are always the most vivid in my opinion. I remember having a really vivid dream where I was hanging out with beary once... I think we were killing cockroaches or something... but huge monster cockroaches. I don't really remember the details.

Boy, really want to hang out with you, but no cockroaches please. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, I'm not the only one! :laugh:

Yeah my most vivid one was when I was really stressed out. Like somebody else said, I always have vivid dreams but they get nightmare-ish when I'm stressed. In this dream I went out to Vegas, whipped out a machine gun, and just started blasting away random people. :eek:

Yeah my most vivid one was when I was really stressed out. Like somebody else said, I always have vivid dreams but they get nightmare-ish when I'm stressed. In this dream I went out to Vegas, whipped out a machine gun, and just started blasting away random people. :eek:
:eek: to clarify- "random people" or "Random people"

<slowly backs away from beary>

Members don't see this ad :)
don't lie!!!

SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA TONIGHT. CURRENT
INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE PRECIPITATION WILL BE PRIMARILY FREEZING
RAIN...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SLEET OR SNOW. TOTAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS
MAY EXCEED A QUARTER INCH WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF MINOR SLEET
ACCUMULATIONS.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

oh crap--be careful!! in my area, they have cancelled the freezing rain warning, but overnight is a different story....either we'll wake up to a bunch of ice or there will just be a lot of rain..they can't tell if the temp will stay above freezing

that storm seems to have bypassed my house.. will have to see how things are when I go into work in a few minutes...

oxeye- you're not missing much by not having ice storms. they're worse than snow b/c the ice weighs down power lines and tree branches so much that they just snap. not cool. :thumbdown:

That's crazy beary! I've never seen an ice storm.

ok can i tell you something....one time we had this ice storm where it turned our house into a huge ice cube. we were frozen inside of our house for a whole day. our cars had a thick layer of solid ice on them..our sidewalk and driveway were frozen for over a week. we had to lay bath towels down on top of the ice just so we could walk outside. i almost fell and killed myself about a million times--it was a nightmare.

You could so have a baby now. You're applying for 2008 right? The kid would be a whole year old by the time you started. ;)

Now if I had another baby right now, my plans would be totally messed up!

I'm totally with you on that, but my husband's not on board for that. Unless I was guaranteed admission to CCOM and knew that's where I was going, we'd have to be apart during med school and it would be too hard to raise a kiddo like that.

His insurance and seniority (pay) in his company is too good for him to move to a less populated area, too.

It wouldn't be impossible if there were an oops moment, but the worst case scenario would be Joe keeping the baby with him while I'm at school. It's just too uncertain.

I wish there was a way to compromise, though. My husband is firm on his feelings about this though.

yea, they are really crazy.

Before jlw moved to STL there was a REALLY bad ice storm. I think I was about 10-11. It snowed 4-6 inches, THEN 3-4 inches of ice on top of that!

At the time, we lived in a house with a circle drive, and the yard pretty much sloped at a 30 degree angle from the road about 300 yards down to the woods.

After the storm, my dad was trying to get out of the driveway in our 1984 Mazda 626. I remember him putting down ashes from our woodburner and gunning it for the top of the driveway, but the car started slipping, my dad bailed out, and it ended up sliding backwards ALL the way down to the woods (which, save for saplings, had a ravine about 20 yards in). By the grace of God, the car was stopped right as it entered the woods by an oak sapling about 3 inches in diameter, and it left a perfect dent right in the middle of the bumper.

Eventually a tow truck with chains on the tires pulled it up after we secured the wheels with boards and stuff. It had enough momentum that if that tree hadn't been there, the car would have been totaled down the ravine!

So ice can be really scary!

sounds like that movie scarface.

I'm totally with you on that, but my husband's not on board for that. Unless I was guaranteed admission to CCOM and knew that's where I was going, we'd have to be apart during med school and it would be too hard to raise a kiddo like that.

His insurance and seniority (pay) in his company is too good for him to move to a less populated area, too.

It wouldn't be impossible if there were an oops moment, but the worst case scenario would be Joe keeping the baby with him while I'm at school. It's just too uncertain.

I wish there was a way to compromise, though. My husband is firm on his feelings about this though.
oh I can totally understand that. I played around with the idea of applying other places and living apart from my husband during medical school, but when it really came down to it, neither of us were willing to be apart from the kids.

If I hadn't been accepted EDP to the school right here, I probably would have just kept reapplying to the one school. :laugh:

SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA TONIGHT. CURRENT
INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE PRECIPITATION WILL BE PRIMARILY FREEZING
RAIN...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SLEET OR SNOW. TOTAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS
MAY EXCEED A QUARTER INCH WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF MINOR SLEET
ACCUMULATIONS.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
that is crazy.

good thing you are a bear. we are really good with bad weather apparently

Man, before that I really felt the hawks deserved it more. Grossman f'd up, and the defense was lazy.

Bears need to keep Grossman as a backup and look for a starting QB, or at least someone who can be consistent.
i think i'll rather take rex grossman right now over eli manning being that I am a giants fan

oh I can totally understand that. I played around with the idea of applying other places and living apart from my husband during medical school, but when it really came down to it, neither of us were willing to be apart from the kids.

If I hadn't been accepted EDP to the school right here, I probably would have just kept reapplying to the one school. :laugh:

I'm really ready to have kids tho. It kind of sucks to be in a limbo situation like this. I think if my MCAT score is really good we might think about it some more. It's not like it's a sure thing, but it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.