Question about Caribbean Med School Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmyd1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is a big 3 or 4 for the Caribbean schools and they talk about their 92% USMLE pass rates. My question is, say Ross starts with a class of 400 kids, what percent of those students graduate in 4 years, pass step 1 on their first try, and match? Ive noticed these schools are very deceptive with their stats.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there is a big 3 or 4 for the Caribbean schools and they talk about their 92% USMLE pass rates. My question is, say Ross starts with a class of 400 kids, what percent of those students graduate in 4 years, pass step 1 on their first try, and match? Ive noticed these schools are very deceptive with their stats.
Just assume you won't be on the good side of the percentages and don't go there.

Reactions: 2 users
Goddamn it.. not another one of these.

Listen up bro bro, DON'T even THINK about the caribbean.

They are FOR PROFIT SCHOOLS. They take money upfront... accept 400-500 kids for a starting term... and continuously drop them off one by one.

At the end of 4 years... or 5 once they decel a lot of the IMG students... there are maybe 200 or so left that MAYBE move onto into family medicine, internal medicine, or surgery prelims in ****ty locations and hospitals.

Go to the SOAP thread and see how many IMGs lucked out or didn't luck out at all and are applying for residency again.

As far as their STEP 1 scores go, yeah many of them end up doing well... but so would you if you had 4-5 months to study for it.

DONT DO IT.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rough numbers for Ross are: 600 enrollment each semester. 3 cohorts admitted in a year (january, may, september). That's 1800 new students each year.

Their match list has 770 listed.

770/1800 = 42%

Edit: but that's mainly because they let everyone in. If you specifically look at the students that passed all classes and passed all boards on first attempt, they have a match rate of >80%

Rough numbers for Ross are: 600 enrollment each semester. 3 cohorts admitted in a year (january, may, september). That's 1800 new students each year.

Their match list has 770 listed.

770/1800 = 42%

Edit: but that's mainly because they let everyone in. If you specifically look at the students that passed all classes and passed all boards on first attempt, they have a match rate of >80%

cmon now... you know you cannot trust their match lists for jack **** bro.

I am an SGU MS4 applying for the 2017 match.

Failing the Step exams is a feat. It takes hard work to do awesome but passing really isn't hard at all so don't doubt those statistics. I would say around 15% of people don't make it to MS3 and once an MS3 very few don't finish. The vast majority that don't make it drop out early in the basic sciences with most probably after the first term. I was worried when I started and had the same worries you do but the bottom line is ... if you study and work hard you will make it no problem if you have average intelligence.

The match list isn't a lie. If you don't trust it simply go to the residency website and often you can see a list of residents and their alma mater. Thats really where people are getting in and many of my friends are interns. Plenty of carib hate on SDN and obvoiusly carib is not an ideal situation but work hard at Ross / SGU and you will make it through and land a decent residency.

I am an SGU MS4 applying for the 2017 match.

Failing the Step exams is a feat. It takes hard work to do awesome but passing really isn't hard at all so don't doubt those statistics. I would say around 15% of people don't make it to MS3 and once an MS3 very few don't finish. The vast majority that don't make it drop out early in the basic sciences with most probably after the first term. I was worried when I started and had the same worries you do but the bottom line is ... if you study and work hard you will make it no problem if you have average intelligence.

The match list isn't a lie. If you don't trust it simply go to the residency website and often you can see a list of residents and their alma mater. Thats really where people are getting in and many of my friends are interns. Plenty of carib hate on SDN and obvoiusly carib is not an ideal situation but work hard at Ross / SGU and you will make it through and land a decent residency.

I'm happy you have made it through so far but knowing what you know now... the question is would you have gone to the carib if you could do it all over again?

Also, did you go in KNOWING what residency you wanted to enter?

I honestly feel that the amount of effort you guys put in to land an IM or FM spot would have somebody in the US land something more "competitive"... like rads, EM, hell... even general surgery. Not saying IM and FM are cakewalks by any means but it is what it is.

I've seen the board scores you guys can put up... as the fifth semester scene gives you guys A LOT of material and time to prepare than an average US student here gets.

Glad it is working out for you so far.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm happy you have made it through so far but knowing what you know now... the question is would you have gone to the carib if you could do it all over again?

Also, did you go in KNOWING what residency you wanted to enter?

I honestly feel that the amount of effort you guys put in to land an IM or FM spot would have somebody in the US land something more "competitive"... like rads, EM, hell... even general surgery. Not saying IM and FM are cakewalks by any means but it is what it is.

I've seen the board scores you guys can put up... as the fifth semester scene gives you guys A LOT of material and time to prepare than an average US student here gets.

Glad it is working out for you so far.

Thanks man. I think it is common knowledge that those who are looking into carib are doing so as a last resort. Obviously I would rather be in a US school but unfortunately my college performance prevented that. Yes I would do it over again 100x and I wasn't sure what I wanted when I started.

Regarding the step study period. I don't really think what you are saying regarding step 1/2 is entirely accurate. It isn't that the school gives us so much time / etc for the steps but rather that the tests are much more important for us so many do whatever it takes to get the best possible score. There really isn't any "info" that the school gives us that helps. I mean for step 1 its all FA / uworld and step 2 is all Uworld... no secrets there. My friends in the august class had around 3 weeks of dedicated study time for step 2ck which isn't all that different from most US schools. And in 5th (final) term of 2nd year it really is just like any other. Many people simply sacrifice their basic science grades to focus on studying for the step which I didn't do. I had a long time for step 2 ck and I took 6 weeks which isn't really that crazy. And studying longer honestly doesn't = better grade beyond a certain point. I don't think more time would have helped me for step 1 or 2.

Regarding matching. If you look at the SGU match list you will see many people matching in things other than FM/IM. IM is the most popular but that is because it is the most popular field from any medical school. Rads is less competitive than its been in the past and demand is lower thanks to all the work being done overseas. Plenty of people match EM. You are right IMG's < AMG's but what you match into right away isn't everything. Urology is very tough but work hard and you can get Gen surgery and switch during your residency. So yes you have to invest more effort but ultimately the reward is becoming a better doctor in whatever field you choose. If you have your heart set on opthalmo than yes it will be very difficult and unless you are in the top 10% than it probably isn't all that realistic.

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding the step study period. I don't really think what you are saying regarding step 1/2 is entirely accurate. It isn't that the school gives us so much time / etc for the steps but rather that the tests are much more important for us so many do whatever it takes to get the best possible score. There really isn't any "info" that the school gives us that helps. I mean for step 1 its all FA / uworld and step 2 is all Uworld... no secrets there. My friends in the august class had around 3 weeks of dedicated study time for step 2ck which isn't all that different from most US schools. And in 5th (final) term of 2nd year it really is just like any other. Many people simply sacrifice their basic science grades to focus on studying for the step which I didn't do. I had a long time for step 2 ck and I took 6 weeks which isn't really that crazy. And studying longer honestly doesn't = better grade beyond a certain point. I don't think more time would have helped me for step 1 or 2.

Are there US schools that give time off for studying for Step 2CK? Mine certainly didn't.

Reactions: 1 user