Caribbean worth it for US MD dropout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piskaupf

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got kicked out of med school after 2 years. No step score, no prospects to transfer. Kicked out for professionalism (wrongfully, but that’s irrelevant). Retook the MCAT and have a US MD competitive score.

Current plan was to apply Caribbean. Will a strong background in the content be enough to get good grades and have time of not studying to push out enough pubs and do well enough on step 2 to make matching likely?

Especially taking into consideration step 1 will be p/f by the time I take it

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is an awful idea. Don't do it. Far too risky and likely just impractical.

Reactions: 2 users
Got kicked out of med school after 2 years. No step score, no prospects to transfer. Kicked out for professionalism (wrongfully, but that’s irrelevant). Retook the MCAT and have a US MD competitive score.

Current plan was to apply Caribbean. Will a strong background in the content be enough to get good grades and have time of not studying to push out enough pubs and do well enough on step 2 to make matching likely?

Your potential career as a physician in the US is over

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Even without a glaring red flag as yours, it wouldn't be likely. With a previous medical school dismissal, chances are pretty much zilch. A Carib program might take you but only because they want your tuition money, not due to any confidence that you would be able to match.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Even without a glaring red flag as yours, it wouldn't be likely. With a previous medical school dismissal, chances are pretty much zilch. A Carib program might take you but only because they want your tuition money, not due to any confidence that you would be able to match.
red flag for what exactly? Admission to Caribbean school or matching? I’ve spoken with admissions at some of the big name carribbean schools who said that they would absolutely consider me. At that point it becomes a question of matching with a foreign degree and I probably won’t reveal a former dismissal to residencies if not necessary

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
red flag for what exactly? Admission to Caribbean school or matching? I’ve spoken with admissions at some of the big name carribbean schools who said that they would absolutely consider me. At that point it becomes a question of matching with a foreign degree and I probably won’t reveal a former dismissal to residencies if not necessary
I don't think the issue is getting into a Caribbean program as they are for profit it is in their interest to enroll students to make money for their share holders. I agree that the issue is matching and honestly I don't think it will be about your step 2 scores or publications, even if they are stellar. I think the bigger problem is they are going to see 2 years at US MD program, dismissed for cause, 4 years at Caribbean program. Thats a huge red flag for any program director. You are going to need to list the medical schools you have attended. There are plenty of Caribbean graduates who will complete their programs, earn strong letters of recommendation, have publications, strong step 2 scores, and still struggle to match without having a prior dismissal from a US MD program in their history.

I would not gamble hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt to pursue this route.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Admission to Caribbean school or matching?
Both, though as noted above an unscrupulous Caribbean program may accept you knowing you'll pay 4 years of tuition and likely not match.

It doesn't matter how strong of a resume you create, residency programs won't even see it because when they see from your ERAS basic info that you were dismissed from medical school for professionalism reasons (whatever they may be) they'll stop reading and delete your application.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

As noted above, being dismissed from a medical school for professionalism is a glaring red flag more than anything else. You're not going to be able to conceal your previous matriculation assuming you don't intend to commit fraud. From ERAS guide page 21, "Applicants must complete information regarding the institution, degree, and dates of attendance for each medical school attended" and from ERAS page 25 "Applicants must indicate if their medical education/training was extended or interrupted and provide details when Yes is selected."

You're not going to be able to conceal your previous matriculation assuming you don't intend to commit fraud
I don’t understand. By this, do you mean “concealing previous matriculation is fraud” or “you have to commit fraud in order to subsequently conceal previous matriculation” referring to getting a legal name change or something

I don’t understand. By this, do you mean “concealing previous matriculation is fraud” or “you have to commit fraud in order to subsequently conceal previous matriculation” referring to getting a legal name change or something
Concealing a previous matriculation is fraud. You said that you "won’t reveal a former dismissal to residencies if not necessary." It is necessary. ERAS requires you list all medical schools you attended.

I don’t understand, if you got kicked out wrongfully, it sounds like the best, cheapest, and easiest route to getting back on track is hiring a lawyer and challenging the decision. If it truly is a wrongful dismissal the school has a lot more legally to lose than you do.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t understand, if you got kicked out wrongfully, it sounds like the best, cheapest, and easiest route to getting back on track is hiring a lawyer and challenging the decision. If it truly is a wrongful dismissal the school has a lot more legally to lose than you do.
The school has a lot more resources too. Legal action will never hurt an institution more than an individual in these cases.

I agree this is the most logical step but since OP has already retaken the MCAT maybe the dismissal happened long enough ago that it’s no longer feasible.

OP going to the Caribbean is a bad idea. You’ll get accepted to the school but won’t ever get a residency.

You’d think it would be as easy as it sounds.
There’s so few lawyers that work in the niche of education in each state that they all know each other. Some of them work for the school that dismissed me, some of them are unwilling to take my case because $ wont be good enough, the rest say even though i have a case they don’t have time. Believe me ive talked to most of them.

And not taking that into account, there’s so much more that has to go into proving that the decision to dismiss someone was wrongful it’s not as cut and dry as you’d think. Schools really have a lot of power. If i were to post the transcript of my hearing, you would be absolutely mindblown though. Wont though, for the moment need privacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’d think it would be as easy as it sounds.
There’s so few lawyers that work in the niche of education in each state that they all know each other. Some of them work for the school that dismissed me, some of them are unwilling to take my case because $ wont be good enough, the rest say even though i have a case they don’t have time. Believe me ive talked to most of them.

And not taking that into account, there’s so much more that has to go into proving that the decision to dismiss someone was wrongful it’s not as cut and dry as you’d think. Schools really have a lot of power. If i were to post the transcript of my hearing, you would be absolutely mindblown though. Wont though, for the moment need privacy.
What about going to law school and specializing in education law? It would be less years and you could do something to make a difference about this issue on a larger scale. Maybe even get into government an intact a law that protects students.

Spending 4 years and borrowing a lot more money to most likely end up with a degree that can’t get you a job, is not a good plan.

What about going to law school and specializing in education law? It would be less years and you could do something to make a difference about this issue on a larger scale. Maybe even get into government an intact a law that protects students.

Spending 4 years and borrowing a lot more money to most likely end up with a degree that can’t get you a job, is not a good plan.
Also something I’ve considered. Med school was a calling for me since day 1 though and i really want to ensure I’ve exhausted all my options before I forfeit that dream that i sank 10+ years of my life and 200k+ money into. Law simply doesnt catch my passion like medicine

If you can pull a high MCAT score and get a USMD admission, you can probably be successful in other areas of life. It might be worth seriously considering alternatives given that (rightly or wrongly) you may have serious difficulty matching in the future

If you can pull a high MCAT score and get a USMD admission, you can probably be successful in other areas of life. It might be worth seriously considering alternatives given that (rightly or wrongly) you may have serious difficulty matching in the future
It’s easy to try to convince a faceless person of this on the internet. Everything will only ever be a compromise though. Something I had to settle for because my life goal was derailed. couldn’t ever feel good when I’m 50 and looking back on things. But thanks for the encouragement

I'll say that I agree on the idea of a lawyer--almost certainly a waste of money. The bottom line is that courts have generally ruled that schools have broad discretion in defining professionalism and academic causes for dismissal and they are going to defer to the school's judgement in all but the most clear-cut of scenarios (essentially, that a school didn't follow their own policy for dismissal, and there is usually a catch-all clause for "professionalism issues" that is really hard to fight).

I also agree that it's time to accept that the dream is over. I have absolutely no doubt that you could find a predatory Caribbean school to accept you, and they will be very happy to take your money. But even if you make it through their curriculum, pass your steps, and apply, then once your prior US MD dismissal comes out either via your disclosure or via them checking National Student Clearinghouse, you're going to be DOA for residency. There are simply plenty of applicants who will be seen as much less of a risk than you.

This may indeed be a difficult pill to swallow and something that you will look back on as having had to "settle." But that doesn't mean you should fall for the sunken cost fallacy.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
That dismissal is your main issue. As others have said, you'll have to disclose this on on any app for residency. If you would go to the Caribbean there may be some residency programs that either somehow miss it on the app or bypass it and not care about it as much, but I doubt it.

Maybe your chance is zero. It's hard to say that absolutely. However, what you propose is a huge gamble with that dismissal...one not worth taking imo.

I don't know if it's too late, and maybe you already explored this, but is there a possibility that the school would let you designate it as a withdrawal rather than a dismissal?

I'll say that I agree on the idea of a lawyer--almost certainly a waste of money. The bottom line is that courts have generally ruled that schools have broad discretion in defining professionalism and academic causes for dismissal and they are going to defer to the school's judgement in all but the most clear-cut of scenarios (essentially, that a school didn't follow their own policy for dismissal, and there is usually a catch-all clause for "professionalism issues" that is really hard to fight).

I also agree that it's time to accept that the dream is over. I have absolutely no doubt that you could find a predatory Caribbean school to accept you, and they will be very happy to take your money. But even if you make it through their curriculum, pass your steps, and apply, then once your prior US MD dismissal comes out either via your disclosure or via them checking National Student Clearinghouse, you're going to be DOA for residency. There are simply plenty of applicants who will be seen as much less of a risk than you.

This may indeed be a difficult pill to swallow and something that you will look back on as having had to "settle." But that doesn't mean you should fall for the sunken cost fallacy.
That dismissal is your main issue. As others have said, you'll have to disclose this on on any app for residency. If you would go to the Caribbean there may be some residency programs that either somehow miss it on the app or bypass it and not care about it as much, but I doubt it.

Maybe your chance is zero. It's hard to say that absolutely. However, what you propose is a huge gamble with that dismissal...one not worth taking imo.

I don't know if it's too late, and maybe you already explored this, but is there a possibility that the school would let you designate it as a withdrawal rather than a dismissal?
Do you think programs in noncompetitive specialties regularly struggling to fill will pass OP over?

Contact a few DO schools that have an SMP ("audition for medical school") and see if you would qualify for the *guaranteed* admission if you meet the requirements. For schools like LECOM they require a 497 and 3.3 in the master's for *guaranteed* admissions. VCOM is anywhere from 494-501 and 3.2-3.7 IIRC (higher GPA/lower MCAT and vice-versa).

I'm going to go against the grain here and say If you were smart enough to make it into an allopathic medical school and didn't flunk out due to academics, then you can likely succeed in a Caribbean school. What that means is you won't get weeded out in the first two years, and then you'll have to bust your butt off and be content with some no name community IM program in the middle of nowhere.

• Dislike
  • Angry
Contact a few DO schools that have an SMP ("audition for medical school") and see if you would qualify for the *guaranteed* admission if you meet the requirements. For schools like LECOM they require a 497 and 3.3 in the master's for *guaranteed* admissions. VCOM is anywhere from 494-501 and 3.2-3.7 IIRC (higher GPA/lower MCAT and vice-versa).

I'm going to go against the grain here and say If you were smart enough to make it into an allopathic medical school and didn't flunk out due to academics, then you can likely succeed in a Caribbean school. What that means is you won't get weeded out in the first two years, and then you'll have to bust your butt off and be content with some no name community IM program in the middle of nowhere.
If thats the case… I’d honestly take 4 years doing FM in Nebraska over changing career paths

If thats the case… I’d honestly take 4 years doing FM in Nebraska over changing career paths
There's a lot of uncertainties and sometimes you gotta take the "crazy, wild, and stupid" decision in life if you can't see yourself doing anything else. I remember reading a humans of NY (HONY) IG post about an FMG who lived in the US and applied 10 years straight to residency. On his 10th application there was a storm on the east coast so no one showed up/interviews were cancelled but he made the long drive from Chicago (flights were cancelled) and was given the job.

There was another article about a DO who failed to match radiology. Soaped into IM, finished it, then reapplied and matched into radiology.

I am not sure your prospects are quite as dismal as others have suggested, but a lot of it depends on specifics of your case.

Part of this is going to involve exactly what you were charged with. If you were dismissed for academic dishonesty like cheating on an exam, that is going to be a lot worse than if you were late a few times to a required lecture or forgot about the dress code for a standardized patient encounter or something. Given that they expelled you, my guess is that it was something more like the former, but considering the stories we’ve seen here, I can’t necessarily rule out that the offense was something stupid to begin with.

I do agree, though, that this is a big gamble. It’s kind of impossible to know how severely this will impact your application, particularly if you do a good job explaining the situation to the institutions you apply to. I suspect that several places would at least consider someone in your situation, assuming you did well and did not have any further professionalism issues, but it’s impossible to say whether you would be able to match.

It’s easy to try to convince a faceless person of this on the internet. Everything will only ever be a compromise though. Something I had to settle for because my life goal was derailed. couldn’t ever feel good when I’m 50 and looking back on things. But thanks for the encouragement
The only caveat here to think about is what resources you currently have, IMO.

If you have rich parents and are set up to inherit a lot of money or something, I think you could maybe attempt this path because it's not going to hurt you too badly other than your ego when/if you fail. But if you're doing this on your own, and you're talking about taking out $200k for your previous MD attempt plus another $400k for this one, plus accumulated interest and you will have to pay everything back alone whether you can match or not, it's a horrible idea.

Self actualization is great and all, but it's at the very tip top of Maslow's pyramid for a reason. If you do this and fail, and you don't have rich family or an alternate career plan that pays six plus figures, you're going to be in a really nasty spot when at 50 you still have more than half of the debt over your head. You'll be in an even worse place at 65 when you retire if you have health problems that cost a lot of money without the savings to cover them because you've spent your lifetime earnings trying to get out from under your loans.

I don't know if you can even get federal loans going to Carib schools, but I sure wouldn't try it at all if you have to take private loans, because at least you can get income-based payment plans for federal loans.

Hate to break this to you but he's DOA for DO, once they know he was kicked out of USMD, its over. There is no realistic way of hiding this, if OP took out loans. Carib maybe an option but DO no way, they might not even let him/her into these "linked" programs. No reason for them to take a chance on OP when there's plenty of 3.4-3.5 gpa and 505 mcat people...

I am not sure your prospects are quite as dismal as others have suggested, but a lot of it depends on specifics of your case.

Part of this is going to involve exactly what you were charged with. If you were dismissed for academic dishonesty like cheating on an exam, that is going to be a lot worse than if you were late a few times to a required lecture or forgot about the dress code for a standardized patient encounter or something. Given that they expelled you, my guess is that it was something more like the former, but considering the stories we’ve seen here, I can’t necessarily rule out that the offense was something stupid to begin with.

I do agree, though, that this is a big gamble. It’s kind of impossible to know how severely this will impact your application, particularly if you do a good job explaining the situation to the institutions you apply to. I suspect that several places would at least consider someone in your situation, assuming you did well and did not have any further professionalism issues, but it’s impossible to say whether you would be able to match.
The thing is i don't know if programs struggling to fill will pass OP over even with a glaring red flag.

I don’t mean to make light of your situation. I want to point out that you’re probably talented enough to be successful in other areas of life. Sometimes things are just out of our control; you’ll only waste your life energy trying to change things the that you can’t.

(I’m not sure if this is one of those in unchangeable situations, but it’s worth keeping an open mind to the possibility)

Given that they expelled you, my guess is that it was something more like the former, but considering the stories we’ve seen here, I can’t necessarily rule out that the offense was something stupid to begin with.
Nothing close to that. Let’s just say faculty that disliked me for personal reasons and wanted to have me dismissed reached for absolutely whatever they could and dressed it up as a “breach of professionalism”. Can’t go inti details but anyone who’s seen the transcript of the hearing was mindblown.

Nothing close to that. Let’s just say faculty that disliked me for personal reasons and wanted to have me dismissed reached for absolutely whatever they could and dressed it up as a “breach of professionalism”
Hmm, unless you really enraged the deans or something, being expelled for being personally disliked is a stretch. It takes a lot to be kicked out of US MD, and clearly something went wrong to justify expulsion.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hmm, unless you really enraged the deans or something, being expelled for being personally disliked is a stretch. It takes a lot to be kicked out of US MD, and clearly something went wrong to justify expulsion.
You would think. I would think too before I experienced it. If I knew you in person I could show you and you’d be just as shocked. I had been pre empting this dismissal for months before my “professionalism event” even happened with the way the faculty were positioning themselves

Last edited:
The thing is i don't know if programs struggling to fill will pass OP over even with a glaring red flag.
My point is that we just don’t know. I have no idea how programs would handle this information. On the one hand, places obviously want to be fully staffed. On the other, professionalism issues are obviously markers for other serious problems down the line. Sure, you might fill a slot, but you might wind up with a resident who hides mistakes in patient care, winds up in a malpractice case, or catches criminal charges in a few years. I, personally, would view taking somebody with a history of professionalism violations as a serious risk.

I just don’t know how programs balance filling spots with such risks. Like I said, a lot of it probably depends on what the charges actually were and how the OP explains the situation. In any case, it is all pretty uncertain.

You have two red flags and will be jumping right back into the fire after being burned. Caribbean acceptance is guaranteed but matching will be a struggle. You already wasted two years.

Sorry to say but your best bet is to move on.

Medicine is a very rigid career path and unforgiving of mistakes or sticking out like a sore thumb. It doesn't matter whose right or wrong they want you to fly under the radar.

Do you think programs in noncompetitive specialties regularly struggling to fill will pass OP over?
Honestly, do such programs exist? Every year there are many, many US-IMGs who are unable to get a residency spot. By the end of SOAP basically all programs are full except for the ones that choose not to fill.

But as @sloop said, there is no way to know how he would be perceived. Let's be extremely generous and say he gets a 240 on step 2 and gets strong letters from his US clinical rotations. Many PDs would say that professionalism issues are worse than academic problems. Maybe he was dismissed for a bogus reason, but you're relying on a program to buy the OP's story over his old school, who presumably annotated something in the transcript. And even then keep in mind that the "success" scenario is spending 4-5 years on an island/in random rural clinical sites away from any family support, then 3 years in another likely rural program, then facing a job search to presumably move back to a more favorable location. Sure, the OP would be a doctor, but that's probably not what he envisioned when he set out for med school, and that is a lot of years of delayed gratification.

Most importantly, it's many years of delayed gratification without a guarantee of success. In addition to programs just deciding they won't take him with the prior dismissal, there are so many other landmines along the way. He could fail step 1. He could get a 210 on Step 2, which per charting outcomes results in only a ~60% FM match rate WITHOUT a prior dismissal. His Carrib school could be watching him like a hawk due to his prior dismissal and be similarly overaggressive in dismissing him. He could run into a clinical preceptor who hates med students and just decides to fail him for no reason. Finally, quite simply step 1 going P/F may make the playing field even more uneven for US-IMGs that are impossible to predict at this time. Any one of these "fail" scenarios results in a crushing amount of debt and multiple years wasted.

No matter how you slice it, the "fail" scenarios are just way more likely than the success one. Everyone who goes to the Caribbean to "bet on themselves" thinks that they are going to be the success story, but a very small percentage wind up being correct. If he thinks the medical education system was crooked in the States, just wait until you see what happens at a Carib school. Ultimately it's the OP's money and time and career, but it would be crazy in my mind to pursue that path for anyone, let alone someone with the added albatross of a prior academic dismissal.

It's really not.
Lol i know u just want to hear some tea ;) sadly cant spill tho

Believe me i wish i could just to gain the support of u anonymous internet people, but for now my anonymity is paramount and my case is so unique I would be instantly giving myself away if i wrote details

Yes. The OP will have a tough time getting licensed depending on the nature of the professionalism issue. Just being dismissed is a red flag for licensing, let alone a professionalism strike. What program is going to take a chance on someone who may not even be able to be licensed and/or could very well still have the professionalism issue?

A lot of times in these cases, students have no insight into their problems and so they frame everything as "the school was out to get me" with no basis in reality. Schools don't just dismiss students. It just doesn't happen, as proven by the countless cases that went before the courts in which the student or resident said they were unfairly scapegoated and the real truth comes out. Anyone remember the psych resident who was fired "for having cancer"?

• Love
Lol i know u just want to hear some tea ;) sadly cant spill tho

Believe me i wish i could just to gain the support of u anonymous internet people, but for now my anonymity is paramount and my case is so unique I would be instantly giving myself away if i wrote details

That's fair enough. Might I suggest then that you privately contact @Goro or @NotAProgDirector and get their take with a little more detail? They're in a much better position to know and you won't be airing your dirty laundry on an anonymous forum.

Reactions: 7 users
Yes. The OP will have a tough time getting licensed depending on the nature of the professionalism issue. Just being dismissed is a red flag for licensing, let alone a professionalism strike. What program is going to take a chance on someone who may not even be able to be licensed and/or could very well still have the professionalism issue?

A lot of times in these cases, students have no insight into their problems and so they frame everything as "the school was out to get me" with no basis in reality. Schools don't just dismiss students. It just doesn't happen, as proven by the countless cases that went before the courts in which the student or resident said they were unfairly scapegoated and the real truth comes out. Anyone remember the psych resident who was fired "for having cancer"?
Could you point me at this story about the psych resident who got dropped for having cancer? It sounds like a wild ride, and I'm having trouble finding it.

My school's SMP would reject the OP.

You're just suggesting that the OP prolong their agony. They may make it through the SMP, but no MD or DO school will touch the OP after that dismissal.

Umm what the hell? DO schools might be more forgiving academically but their professionalism standards are exactly the same as MD.

• Love
Nothing close to that. Let’s just say faculty that disliked me for personal reasons and wanted to have me dismissed reached for absolutely whatever they could and dressed it up as a “breach of professionalism”. Can’t go inti details but anyone who’s seen the transcript of the hearing was mindblown.
You went on trial? What happened?

Could you point me at this story about the psych resident who got dropped for having cancer? It sounds like a wild ride, and I'm having trouble finding it.

Now go to post #65 by Operaman in this thread to read the court documents for the real story:

• Wow
You went on trial? What happened
Not actual legal trial, just some kangaroo court dog and pony show the school puts on to give the impression of validity to whatever decision they’ve already decided on

Not actual legal trial, just some kangaroo court dog and pony show the school puts on to give the impression of validity to whatever decision they’ve already decided on
If it's still within SOL, you should go to court, preferably federal court, if you can establish that you are from a different state.

Now go to post #65 by Operaman in this thread to read the court documents for the real story:

Had to dig around in the archives, but there was another fun one from a few years back: the Canadian med student kicked out for professionalism after “a few absences”, per his SDN retelling. So unfair of administration to ruin his medical career over something so trivial! But the news story that came out later revealed he was actually expelled for forging physician signatures on his attendance forms.

If it's still within SOL, you should go to court, preferably federal court, if you can establish that you are from a different state.
I addressed my difficulties with this route. It’s still something I’m pursuing though.

I addressed my difficulties with this route. It’s still something I’m pursuing though.
then, you shouldn't start med school at a different place, because then you are going to foreclose yourself on damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.