One thing about Caribbean schools…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This just proves my point about select people out there feeling entitled to certain positions and recognitions. Sure they passed Step 2 and all other requirements, but so did a Caribbean student. And a DO student. They're going to be a physician at the end of the day. Adding something else on top of that is to ensure the best of the best are being recruited for their proficiency in the field of interest. Up until now, a prospective Anesthesiology resident was assessed based on Step 1 where they had to know the difference between Schizophrenia and Schizophreniform disorders and the genetic mutation behind a rare lymphoma. Why not give them a chance to show their proficiency in Anesthesiology by administering an assessment centered around Anesthesiology basic science and clinical knowledge? (EDIT: and evaluating their performance in Anesthesiology related shelf exams and rotations MORE SO than their standardized USMLE scores?)

Most physicians I talk to have pride in the fact that they are lifelong leaners and have survived all these exams, so one more shouldn't hurt. Having one more layer of insurance would ensure the best of the best get recruited. And that's what you all want at the end of the day, right?

For the record, I'm not upset about my own shortcomings. I have pride in all that I've accomplished and I certainly don't need anyone here to validate or invalidate that for me. Not sure if you've noticed but the several posts leading up to this one I never once expressed my feelings toward my own accomplishments. I provided my opinion and suggestion, like most of you already do. I think if anyone is slightly offended that a random medical student attempted to equate Caribs with US MDs, it's you. And good for you that most of your M3s are functioning like interns. Nothing to brag about, it's what's expected of them as medical professionals in training.

The performance on Step 1 and Step 2 (along with clinical evaluations and LORs) is by PDs to make an educated inference on how well that applicant will perform in the program. Doing well on multiple standardized tests + having positive review = "This student will do well in this field, they've applied themselves every step of the way, so I won't think differently."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The use of the phrase diploma mills implies that 100% of the people that enter are leaving with an MD in hand. If someone fails in M1, then they're out. If they fail a USMLE (fun fact: it's made by the United States), they have to take it again. If they fail at a shelf exam, they have to take it again. And so, at the end of the day, the people that made it through completed the requirements they had to. I think if you're so adamant on not counting offshore schools in the mix then you should lobby that anyone that goes outside of the US for medical school should NOT be allowed to take the USMLE or even practice in the US at all. Why is it that Carib residents are still matching in the US then? Put an end to that nonsense and completely bar them from practicing in the US. After all, we of course have to prioritize people who didn't cheat the system and stayed in the states. I'm sure plenty of people will sign that petition gladly. And I'm sure that'll be enacted overnight. Is there a reason that a policy like that hasn't been enforced yet?
This is not a good argument for the Carib. And not a refutation that these schools are diploma mills.

Reactions: 3 users
Well I think that I’d like to see schools accredited by a US entity for sure. Just like large undergraduate institutions have study abroad or certified international branches of their school in different countries, I envision Caribbean schools doing something similar in the sense of benefiting from a US accreditation entity while still being an independent unit. It’s not a mystery that students who go to the islands have intentions of practicing back in the US, so having entities extend their oversight to select schools in the Caribbean would strengthen the legitimacy and accessibility of these places.

Theoretically, I’m in full support of stricter oversight of predatory institutions, especially those which target the poor and/or unsophisticated. So again, I don’t disagree with this suggestion in principle, but I still don’t understand why you think this will work or why any Caribbean school (or their investors) would go for it. Aren’t the low standards of the island schools kind of the whole point?

I have always viewed the Caribbean as medicine’s equivalent of institutions like ITT Tech and Everest College. Before they were shuttered, they defended their model as offering the “educational have-nots” access to higher education, which is the same argument its defenders make about the Carib: “We give these marginal students, so cruelly shut out by US MD/DO, a chance to achieve their dreams.”

The Caribbean thrives because it fills a market gap, but stricter oversight by any accrediting body would result fundamental changes to their recruitment, business model, and academic practices. No way would they be allowed to continue enrolling 800+ M1s. No way would they be allowed to charge students thousands of dollars to access far-flung clinical rotation sites with limited oversight. No way would they be allowed to fail out 60% of their class by M3. They would be forced to reinvest their profits in facilities, faculty/staff, infrastructure, student wellness. They would be forced to shut out the marginal applicants who are statistically likely to fail boards.

More stringent standards would result in the Caribbean... no longer being the Caribbean.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is not a good argument for the Carib. And not a refutation that these schools are diploma mills.

Still haven't answered the main question I posed. How did offshore Caribbean medical students have permission to practice in the United States in the first place? Which regulatory body allowed that? Don't you think it's due time to stop that and ban them from practicing in the United States? There are a lot of Caribbean grads roaming around and having physicians with a foreign education is a liability according to this-
I didn't read most of the thread, but my 2 cents is that it makes sense for a country to prioritize employing their own graduates in order to protect their schools and patients.

So the answer here is to ban future Caribbean grads and those with a current license that are from the Caribbean should be removed from their posting. Seems to be the only solution here.

Still haven't answered the main question I posed. How did offshore Caribbean medical students have permission to practice in the United States in the first place? Which regulatory body allowed that? Don't you think it's due time to stop that and ban them from practicing in the United States? There are a lot of Caribbean grads roaming around and having physicians with a foreign education is a liability according to this-

So the answer here is to ban future Caribbean grads and those with a current license that are from the Caribbean should be removed from their posting. Seems to be the only solution here.
Caribbean grads that practice in the states were fortunate that they matched into a residency program in the states. They got their residency training here. That's why they can practice here.

So do you think all Carib students should be guaranteed residency in the states?

Reactions: 2 users
  1. The quality of basic science and clinical education is subpar to what US students have.
Not gonna read the entire thread because this has been discussed ad nauseum. However, this is the answer. Even if a Caribbean student can cram for weeks and do well on the USMLEs (a big if, as a large proportion of any Carrib class gets weeded out by the steps), there is just no arguing that the clinical training you receive at a Caribbean school is not equivalent to what a US MD or DO student receives. Prospective PDs just have no way of knowing the quality of the clinical training that these students received and how they will perform compared to US MD and DO students.

Adding an extra test as you propose doesn't fix that problem, and the absolute last thing that is needed is adding yet another exam to the medical training process. Doesn't mean that a Caribbean grad CAN'T outperform a US grad, but this does explain why the bar for a Carib grad to match is much higher in terms of the objective measures such as USMLE scores--there is just much more uncertainty when a PD decides to accept a Carib grad. If you want to be on equal footing, you should take the time that is necessary to get into an equal school in the first place. If one chooses to go to the Caribbean, then you should go in knowing that you need to clear a much higher bar to match than a US grad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
The use of the phrase diploma mills implies that 100% of the people that enter are leaving with an MD in hand. If someone fails in M1, then they're out. If they fail a USMLE (fun fact: it's made by the United States), they have to take it again. If they fail at a shelf exam, they have to take it again. And so, at the end of the day, the people that made it through completed the requirements they had to. I think if you're so adamant on not counting offshore schools in the mix then you should lobby that anyone that goes outside of the US for medical school should NOT be allowed to take the USMLE or even practice in the US at all. Why is it that Carib residents are still matching in the US then? Put an end to that nonsense and completely bar them from practicing in the US. After all, we of course have to prioritize people who didn't cheat the system and stayed in the states. I'm sure plenty of people will sign that petition gladly. And I'm sure that'll be enacted overnight. Is there a reason that a policy like that hasn't been enforced yet?
Most Caribbean med students didn't have a choice and went there because they couldn't get into a USMD school and in many cases even a DO school, and Caribbean was a last resort. And for those that do graduate and apply to residency, they are often seen as a last resort to fill residency spots often in less desirable programs that would otherwise go unfilled. So while they are not actively being banned, but for a U.S. residency program, the obvious and logical choice is to fill with U.S. based grads first.

Caribbean schools are somewhat in an interesting position since while they are foreign schools and thus can't be accredited in the same way as U.S. MD and DO schools, they still have significant ties to the U.S. such as doing clinical rotations in the U.S. and their students being able to take out loans from the U.S. Government.

Considering that the annual acceptance rate for USMD schools each year has consistently hovered around 40-41% for the past decade, and there are far many more residency spots than USMD (and even DO) grads, the obvious solution would be into significantly increase the number of U.S. med school spots and add new med schools until the number of U.S. based grads each year more closely Matches the number of residency spots While that has been going on already, it's been going up roughly in proportion with the number of applicants to USMD schools so the acceptance hasn't really changed.

I don’t have a problem with Carib grads coming here. I have a problem with people suggesting we shouldn’t prioritize US grads in the match.

Reactions: 7 users
Caribbean grads that practice in the states were fortunate that they matched into a residency program in the states. They got their residency training here. That's why they can practice here.

So do you think all Carib students should be guaranteed residency in the states?
Guaranteeing all Carib students a U.S. residency spot would require turning down U.S.-based grads since there aren't enough residency spots to accommodate all USMD, DO, and Caribbean grads.

Theoretically, I’m in full support of stricter oversight of predatory institutions, especially those which target the poor and/or unsophisticated. So again, I don’t disagree with this suggestion in principle, but I still don’t understand why you think this will work or why any Caribbean school (or their investors) would go for it. Aren’t the low standards of the island schools kind of the whole point?

I have always viewed the Caribbean as medicine’s equivalent of institutions like ITT Tech and Everest College. Before they were shuttered, they defended their model as offering the “educational have-nots” access to higher education, which is the same argument its defenders make about the Carib: “We give these marginal students, so cruelly shut out by US MD/DO, a chance to achieve their dreams.”

The Caribbean thrives because it fills a market gap, but stricter oversight by any accrediting body would result fundamental changes to their recruitment, business model, and academic practices. No way would they be allowed to continue enrolling 800+ M1s. No way would they be allowed to charge students thousands of dollars to access far-flung clinical rotation sites with limited oversight. No way would they be allowed to fail out 60% of their class by M3. They would be forced to reinvest their profits in facilities, faculty/staff, infrastructure, student wellness. They would be forced to shut out the marginal applicants who are statistically likely to fail boards.

More stringent standards would result in the Caribbean... no longer being the Caribbean.
While I think that would certainly deal a blow to their entire business model and academic practices, I think it's absolutely necessary to ensure proper education from the very beginning. Right now, Caribbean education is painted to be lax and not as stringent as the states. Which is true in certain aspects. So then, all PDs have to base their decision from that frame of mind and look at their exam scores and superficial qualities as the only deciding factor. Having a regulatory body would certainly be against the interest of a for-profit institution but it would remove the question of the illegitimacy of a Caribbean education. It would be properly certified and therefore raise no questions as to the quality of education or admissions requirements or anything of that nature.

For the people who are statistically likely to fail boards, there are things like SMPs or alternate careers in medicine. That is a whole other topic of conversation, on how undergraduate advisors and institutions should recommend these things to below average applicants. But I think overall, having a more strict oversight would improve the quality of education and sort of bring in the last unincorporated piece of the residency picture. (i.e. actual IMGs from Europe and beyond do not tend to come to the U.S. for practice, while Carib students do). The patterns of migration are there, and it seems like no one is doing anything about it.

Dude just stop it. I have relatives and friends who attended "non top 4" Caribbean schools and are highly respected attendings in our community but even they told me to take as many gap years as possible and get into a US program. 1/3 of matched residents each year are IMG/FMG and this country does need them but there is also nothing wrong with prioritizing our US grads.

Now if that FMG is some Oxford/Cambridge/Insert top Indian/Pakistani med school, with tons of research, ECs, good scores then they usually always match relatively well. If its some diploma mill where anyone can memorize enough material to pass the boards then there's also nothing wrong with just doing IM/FM. They're not entitled to anything more.

I don’t have a problem with Carib grads coming here. I have a problem with people suggesting we shouldn’t prioritize US grads in the match.

Caribbean students shouldn't be recruited and hired for residency programs out of pity or just to meet a quota, like "Oh yeah we need to hire at least one Carib so we don't completely exclude them". They should be equally assessed along with every other applicant.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
While I think that would certainly deal a blow to their entire business model and academic practices, I think it's absolutely necessary to ensure proper education from the very beginning. Right now, Caribbean education is painted to be lax and not as stringent as the states. Which is true in certain aspects. So then, all PDs have to base their decision from that frame of mind and look at their exam scores and superficial qualities as the only deciding factor. Having a regulatory body would certainly be against the interest of a for-profit institution but it would remove the question of the illegitimacy of a Caribbean education. It would be properly certified and therefore raise no questions as to the quality of education or admissions requirements or anything of that nature.

For the people who are statistically likely to fail boards, there are things like SMPs or alternate careers in medicine. That is a whole other topic of conversation, on how undergraduate advisors and institutions should recommend these things to below average applicants. But I think overall, having a more strict oversight would improve the quality of education and sort of bring in the last unincorporated piece of the residency picture. (i.e. actual IMGs from Europe and beyond do not tend to come to the U.S. for practice, while Carib students do). The patterns of migration are there, and it seems like no one is doing anything about it.
This line of reasoning is sound, and this is what needs to happen if Carib students want to be viewed in better light. The original topic of this thread is very different from that, more in the lines of "Waaahhh we are equivalent despite our non-equivalencies!" I say that jokingly (mostly), but students that go to these Carib schools should (1) Know about the for-profit status (2) the very high risk because of the lax education standards for admission and (3) education standards set forth during clinical rotations

If a student goes there despite those - that is what brings PDs to question why they would take that risk in the first place, causing PDs to take the far far far less risky US MD/DO student

Members don't see this ad :)
Caribbean students shouldn't be recruited and hired for residency programs out of pity or just to meet a quota, like "Oh yeah we need to hire at least one Carib so we don't completely exclude them". They should be equally assessed along with every other applicant.
And they are equally assessed - the assessment outcome is simply poorer than any US medical graduate for all reasons discussed

But they have no incentive to create a regulatory body when they currently have no difficulty filling their classes. As you have pointed out, their primary goal is making money.

They are. You just don't like to accept that their clinical training is subpar outside of the objective exam measures.

• Love
Dude just stop it. I have relatives and friends who attended "non top 4" Caribbean schools and are highly respected attendings in our community but even they told me to take as many gap years as possible and get into a US program. 1/3 of matched residents each year are IMG/FMG and this country does need them but there is also nothing wrong with prioritizing our US grads.

Now if that FMG is some Oxford/Cambridge/Insert top Indian/Pakistani med school, with tons of research, ECs, good scores then they usually always match relatively well. If its some diploma mill where anyone can memorize enough material to pass the boards then there's also nothing wrong with just doing IM/FM. They're not entitled to anything more.

Firstly, not a dude.

Second, the whole point of my initial post was to touch on the very point you seem to be missing. Oxford, Cambridge, and some top South Asian medical school are rightfully qualified and accredited by their local and possibly international bodies and clearly recognized to the point that a U.S. residency program will take them. Why can't Caribbean schools benefit from something like that? Clearly the demand for Caribbean schools isn't going away so why not subject them to proper qualification measures? The quality of professors, rotations, education, etc. will all follow.

Firstly, not a dude.

Second, the whole point of my initial post was to touch on the very point you seem to be missing. Oxford, Cambridge, and some top South Asian medical school are rightfully qualified and accredited by their local and possibly international bodies and clearly recognized to the point that a U.S. residency program will take them. Why can't Caribbean schools benefit from something like that? Clearly the demand for Caribbean schools isn't going away so why not subject them to proper qualification measures? The quality of professors, rotations, education, etc. will all follow.

Lolol. SGU is not Oxford.

We already do that. You seem to lack in critical thinking.

Caribbean students on average have lower USMLE scores (SGU is the highest with 220 while literally, every USMD school is 228-240) and many DOs have to score just as high (if not higher) to match while studying for two tests and wasting time on OMM. Anything below SGU and you have students barely scraping by. They also have little to no research (and not high quality if they do). Little to no ECs. More time/focus on Step 1 (leaving less time for other things that make a well-rounded resident) yet still fall short with their scores.

Let me put it in simpler terms.

Have you ever seen ANY girl's tinder account? They can literally match 100+ guys within 30 minutes. What you would consider an 8 usually just have a tinder to gain IG/Snapchat followers and might only date 1-2 guys out of 1000s of matches.

Residency programs are the hot girl on tinder. They get 300+ matches in a day and might only have an hour of free time so they'll only take to the top 3-4 guys they find attractive.

Last edited:
This is a weird thread. Caribbean grads aren't owed anything and should be treated the lowest priority after US grads (MDs and DOs, who actually went to accredited and respected schools in US, which aren't easy to get into) and non-US IMGs (many of whom are truly excellent).

Firstly, not a dude.

Do Oxford and Cambridge students rotate in better places (i.e. hospitals) than Carib students? It's rhetorical because we all know the answer

• Love
There are problems in residency process (like the DO filter which shouldn't exist). But can't really sympathize with the notion that those who willingly went to Carib should be prioritized as much (or absurdly, more) as US grads.

We already do that. You seem to lack in critical thinking.

Caribbean students on average have lower USMLE scores (SGU is the highest with 220 while literally, every USMD school is 228-240) and many DOs have to score just as high (if not higher) to match while studying for two tests and wasting time on OMM. They also have little to no research (and not high quality if they do). Little to no ECs. More time/focus on Step 1 (leaving less time for other things that make a well-rounded resident) yet still fall short.

Fine. So if they don't have all those things, then why isn't anyone willing to change that? Do we not want more qualified doctors in the workforce?

Do Oxford and Cambridge students rotate in better places (i.e. hospitals) than Carib students? It's rhetorical because we all know the answer

Again, this is a consequence of the very stigma people like you have strengthened over time. Stop the stigma and they'd get better rotation sites. It's literally not that hard.

I can also assure you people coming from prestigious institutions like Oxford and Cambridge don't want to come to America to be overworked and underpaid. They have a much better life in their respective countries and work far less than we do. I don't romanticize the struggles of medical school and residency so I'm sure that's something you don't want to hear and probably won't believe. But I've traveled before and I've seen doctors in other well developed countries that would never purposely pick up and move to America. Thinking that non-US IMGs would ever come here is a very American way of thinking. We're not the center of the world lol.

Listen, the key is that those carib programs are for-profit money making machines (they don't even care about their own students) and if you want to take a chance to go to a place that's perceived to be "subpar" (whether it is so or not is really not relevant.) you have to bear the cost. It's the same as why a Mercedes can command a higher price than a Honda (even though I think in actuality the quality of both brands is comparable). Perception is reality. You just can't argue against reality.

Again, this is a consequence of the very stigma people like you have strengthened over time. Stop the stigma and they'd get better rotation sites. It's literally not that hard.
False comparison. Oxford was already a prestigious university and a quality school. The Carib schools were designed to be money farms preying on people who couldn’t get into med school in the US. Their lack of quality education has nothing to do with the stigma. The stigma exists because they built an educational system without prioritizing their students’ education.

• Love
Listen, the key is that those carib programs are for-profit money making machines (they don't even care about their own students) and if you want to take a chance to go to a place that's perceived to be "subpar" (whether it is so or not is really not relevant.) you have to bear the cost. It's the same as why a Mercedes can command a higher price than a Honda (even though I think in actuality the quality of both brands is comparable). Perception is reality. You just can't argue against reality.
The difference is that Carib schools actually are subpar. A Honda and Mercedes might be comparable in quality (not sure that’s actually true, but we’ll accept that for the sake of argument), but a Carib grad on average is going to be of poorer quality than a US grad because the manufacturer is subpar.

Fine. So if they don't have all those things, then why isn't anyone willing to change that? Do we not want more qualified doctors in the workforce?

I can also assure you people coming from prestigious institutions like Oxford and Cambridge don't want to come to America to be overworked and underpaid. They have a much better life in their respective countries and work far less than we do. I don't romanticize the struggles of medical school and residency so I'm sure that's something you don't want to hear and probably won't believe. But I've traveled before and I've seen doctors in other well developed countries that would never purposely pick up and move to America. Thinking that non-US IMGs would ever come here is a very American way of thinking. We're not the center of the world lol.
Let me ask you. Did you know all the struggles you would face as a carib graduate before you decided to go there?

The difference is that Carib schools actually are subpar. A Honda and Mercedes might be comparable in quality (not sure that’s actually true, but we’ll accept that for the sake of argument), but a Carib grad on average is going to be of poorer quality than a US grad because the manufacturer is subpar.
Yeah, I agree. I just said that for the sake of the argument.

False comparison. Oxford was already a prestigious university and a quality school. The Carib schools were designed to be money farms preying on people who couldn’t get into med school in the US. Their lack of quality education has nothing to do with the stigma. The stigma exists because they built an educational system without prioritizing their students’ education.

Bringing it back one more time. So how did these money farms get permission to send their graduates to practice in the U.S. in the first place? Should have never happened to begin with. Fine, we can't change what happened in the past. Alright. So put an end to these money farms sending their graduates to the states. Ban anyone with a fake offshore education from practicing in the United States. Like I said, it would be the solution to the problem and you wouldn't have people like me coming on here.

The only explanation as to why it's still happening is that US med students feed off of feeling superior to someone else. If it was just MD and DO students in competition (both of which are equal in academic standing and accomplishments), y'all would eat each other up. The fact that Caribs still exist is the product of classist (and maybe a little racist) behavior from the elite medical professionals who run the show. They need someone to marginalize and belittle. So instead of noticing the migration patterns of islands to US going on for the past 25+ years, they kept Caribs at bay and didn't do much to certify the education they were getting was legit. It keeps us quiet and keeps you stateside medical people from being hyper-competitive with each other and really ruining the assessment process.

• Dislike
Bringing it back one more time. So how did these money farms get permission to send their graduates to practice in the U.S. in the first place? Should have never happened to begin with. Fine, we can't change what happened in the past. Alright. So put an end to these money farms sending their graduates to the states. Ban anyone with a fake offshore education from practicing in the United States. Like I said, it would be the solution to the problem and you wouldn't have people like me coming on here.

The only explanation as to why it's still happening is that US med students feed off of feeling superior to someone else. If it was just MD and DO students in competition (both of which are equal in academic standing and accomplishments), y'all would eat each other up. The fact that Caribs still exist is the product of classist (and maybe a little racist) behavior from the elite medical professionals who run the show. They need someone to marginalize and belittle. So instead of noticing the migration patterns of islands to US going on for the past 25+ years, they kept Caribs at bay and didn't do much to certify the education they were getting was legit. It keeps us quiet and keeps you stateside medical people from being hyper-competitive with each other and really ruining the assessment process.

Wow you are bitter and full of logical fallacies.

Reactions: 7 users
Let me ask you. Did you know all the struggles you would face as a carib graduate before you decided to go there?

Yes I did. And I accepted that for a variety of different reasons. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be like the majority and sit quiet. If I see room for improvement I'll say something. I know what I have to do for my degree and career goals and the purpose of my initial post wasn't to receive validation for that.

Yes I did. And I accepted that for a variety of different reasons. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be like the majority and sit quiet. If I see room for improvement I'll say something. I know what I have to do for my degree and career goals and the purpose of my initial post wasn't to receive validation for that.
did you choose to go because you want to improve the situation or because that's the only option you got to become a doctor?

Firstly, not a dude.

Because the Carib schools are predatory and not interested in the quality of the education. Again, they aren’t going to do something that hurts their bottom line out of the goodness of their heart. Also, your argument that a school could just throw money at the problem and create a better set of rotations is unrealistic—even some US DO schools are having trouble getting their students appropriate clinical rotation sites, so where exactly do you think these “better rotations” are going to come from?

The only people with a problem with the current arrangement is Caribbean grads who have trouble matching. So there is no reason for you to expect some external factor to improve your lot. Now that you have decided to go to the Caribbean, your only path forward is to do as well as you can to overcome the hurdles you have put in your own way.

A lot of them DO actually want to come here. The NHS is bleeding doctors each year because why go through so much schooling and only barely make a little more than an engineer? Even the famous UK doctor youtuber Ali Abdaal considered residency here (plus can make more content) and others that I follow.

You can be the worst doctor and graduate from the worst FM program in the US and STILL make 250k/year after residency. You can't do that in most countries. A lot of UK/French/Italian docs move to australia for the salary/lifestyle as well.

Wow you are bitter and full of logical fallacies.

Thank you! Still haven't received concrete answers for my main questions but that's something I can work on looking up later. Everyone on here seems to be an expert in how recruiters and professionals think so I figured I'd receive some insight. Guess not!

Thank you! Still haven't received concrete answers for my main questions but that's something I can work on looking up later. Everyone on here seems to be an expert in how recruiters and professionals think so I figured I'd receive some insight. Guess not!
You have, you’re just completely ignoring them and moving goal posts around.

LOL this thread is popping off so fast, I cannot keep up.

So I think you, and I, and everyone else agree that the Caribbean standards are too lax, and they should only admit students who have a reasonable chance of passing boards and earning their MD. Not hard to see that.

But Caribbean schools have exactly zero incentive to do this. None. They’re doing just fine with their current setup. Because they will never consider tightening up their operations absent pressure from the US DoE, doesn’t everything else you’re positing and everything else we’re discussing become entirely irrelevant? You’re barking up the wrong tree, here. Don’t make your case to us because we can’t do anything about this; you need to make your case to the US government - the only entity that holds any leverage over Caribbean medical schools.

The fact that Caribs still exist is the product of classist (and maybe a little racist) behavior from the elite medical professionals who run the show.

Au contraire, my friend. It is the Caribbean schools (that actively prey on minority, marginalized, and/or first generation college students) that are engaging in classist and racist behavior. Bilking unsophisticated kids/their families out of hundreds of thousands of dollars to fatten the wallets of venture capitalists is the literal height of racism and classism. Don’t point your finger at US-trained doctors and program directors; they never asked to be a part of this conversation in the first place.

• Love
This is one of the most bizarre pro-Caribbean posts i have seen on SDN

• Love
Except there is no room for improvement. If US residencies were to accept more Caribbean grads, US grads would see a big dip in their match numbers. ~50% match rate for Caribbean grads is already a huge accomplishment for the way everything already is.

Last edited:
Instead of wasting your time trying to convince us that Carib med schools are not subpar , because they are. You should try to get some research, or EC's so you could match and stop being petty in this thread.

The reality is Carib Medical School are diploma mills and all of them have subpar average candidates compared to the average US/DO students.

So, let me recap your thread for you.

You start from the premise that Caribbean students should be on equal footing with US students. You receive feedback that the level of training is subpar. Your suggestion to remedy the situation is to have a bunch of for-profit schools spend money to establish some nebulous “regulatory body” to raise the level of training received at Carib schools to the level of Oxford and Cambridge.

If it isn’t readily apparent how this is not a realistic possibility… then I’m not sure what to tell you. Beyond the fact that again, there is no incentive for a for-profit school to care about the level of education beyond the minimum which will allow them to fill their classes, if it was so easy to raise a school to the level of one of the best institutions in the world then everyone would do it. The reality is that some schools will always be objectively worse than others, and anyone who chooses to attend those schools accepts the risk associated with that decision.

Last edited:
Is there actual evidence and/or research based proof as to why Caribbean students are considered less desirable and less competent than their US counterparts? I’ve seen a lot of the opinions surrounding it come from 4 general “buckets”:

1. Admissions committees are more lax and some don’t even consider MCAT scores or GPAs, which attracts a certain “undesirable” population of students.
  2. The quality of basic science and clinical education is subpar to what US students have.
  3. The institutions themselves are for-profit degree mills (the for-profit part is right, but the degree mill part isn’t).
  4. Match rates are lower compared to US programs.

I’m genuinely wondering why the medical community can’t accept the fact that students who successfully completed a Caribbean education are just as good as any other graduate. Considering most residency directors filter applicants based on Step 1 score regardless of the medical school you came from, I find it hard to believe that Caribbean students that make it past the initial cut are then unfairly judged based on personal opinion and industry-wide assumptions. Everyone takes the exact same Step 1/Step 2/Step 3/board certification exams, so there doesn’t seem to be any objective reason for Caribbean students to be considered inferior to their US counterparts.

The problem of those schools being considered offshore for-profit degree mills can be easily solved if US regulatory and government bodies work to properly accredit and certify the program, thus removing the question of illegitimacy.

If “subpar students” attending an “offshore for-profit degree mill” is a red flag for PDs then of course there will be a low match rate. Creating a stigma surrounding a group and then using the consequences of that as ammunition against them is a pretty low blow, if you ask me.

There’s plenty of solutions to this problem and it doesn’t take much effort to enact them. At the end of the day, what’s the harm in including more qualified and competent students in the clinical workforce? Why are they actively being pushed away?
Personally I have utmost respect for people who make it through Caribbean programs. I’ve worked with several and been very impressed. From my understanding, students have to pass all exams with little guidance. And in fact with the school looking for reasons to hold students back (more tuition) and eventually fail them (enter class size > available rotation spots).

Within the population of students, even at the least worrisome schools, something like 50% of them won’t match anywhere between dropping out, failing out and being considered less desirable by PDs. Those 50% are chumps, whether arrogant about their ability to succeed or ignorant about the outcomes for Caribbean medical students. So in my opinion Caribbean students are “unproven” until matched.

I for one am looking forward to OP’s Reddit and Twitter mega-threads about how “toxic” and “racist” SDN is about Carib grads.

Equity is not that important. Fairness isn’t important either. We all want the best residents we can get, period. The worst US grad is more likely to be a good resident than the best Carib grad. If that screws over some people dumb enough to go south of the border, I’m okay with that.

Much of clinical medicine is making major decisions based on your own experience and judgement knowing that you’re going to be wrong from time to time. Caribbean students make terrible residents and tend to come with a ton of baggage and mental health issues. I’m always going to play the odds and go with US grads. The only time I will interview a Caribbean grad is when the day comes that no US students apply.

Does that mean they should be banned from the US? Of course not - we have plenty of terrible doctors in this country, I just don’t want to train them or work with them. But someone has to staff the jobs nobody else wants. And even a terrible doc can refer someone to a good doc.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yes, I agree that glaring personality issues in any applicant should be a cause of concern but purely based off the fact that your two examples were students from established US MD programs goes to show that those red flags can be in anyone.

You asserted that with residency interviews it should be based solely on academic merit at that point. I was merely pointing out that, that is just a small piece of the overall picture and character factors are a big component of what is also being assessed for a number of important reasons. Hence why I ended that post with the following:

"Granted the individuals in the two examples above were a graduate and soon be graduate of established US MD programs, given the factors that commonly lead individuals to pursue the Carib route it’s much more likely to run into potential scenarios like those above with that pool of applicants."

Excluding significant academic issues (which removes the bulk of Carib applicants), when I filter applicants in ERAS by school and look just at Carib applicants there is a much higher prevalence of applicants with IAs, prior dismissals for professionalism, misdemeanors, felonies, etc. compared to US students. Also, given the inherent risk associated with attending Caribbean schools, it puts into question an applicants' judgement. I realize you take issue with why these risks exist in the first place, but nonetheless it's reality and something people have to seriously consider when considering the Carib route. I legitimately cannot think of a sound, reasonable explanation to attend a Caribbean school. All of these are highly associated with problematic character traits, which as I stated above, are indicative of broader and pervasive issues (i.e., ongoing) and not just isolated incidents in a vacuum. Yes, sometimes these are isolated incidents and individuals grow and learn from them. There are US med schools which reward demonstrating someone has changed and learned from their mistakes, and clearly demonstrating this can provide some reassurance for some residency programs when evaluating applicants with red flags. However, given the lax admission standards for Carib schools, this route offers no such reassurance.

Hopefully this analogy helps illustrate the issue:

I'm not big candy/sweets person (which is beside the point) but I do like Runts. My favorite flavor is strawberry, closely followed by lime, and then orange. I don't mind banana every now and then, but I absolutely fuking despise cherry with a passion. There are two bins of Runts in front of me and I'm allowed to pick ten pieces of candy from either bin. Bin one (US applicants) is filled with a mix of all 5 flavors, but slightly more strawberry, lime, and orange. Bin two (Carib applicants) is filled with a bunch of cherries, some bananas, just a smattering of orange and lime, and even fewer strawberries. Which bin am I most likely to pick my ten pieces from?

Last time I checked, they get paid and are expected to interview every qualified student regardless of the school they came from. If they're excluding well qualified students purely based on the school or program they went to then there's something seriously wrong with this field that attempts to value diversity and equity. So they're not going out of their way to interview another 100 Caribbean students that have stellar LORs, great USMLE scores, and a decent personality. It's their job. It's the decisions that come after that which bother me. It should be an objective decision and not based on personal opinion or assumptions of the applicant's character.

Lol, no. Residency selection committees are not compensated for doing so and it is a very time intensive process. It is physically impossible to review and interview every single applicant thus filters (which vary amongst specialties and programs depending on individual priorities) are used to narrow the pool. My program received over 3000 applications for 6 spots. ~40% of those got a somewhat closer look to narrow it down to ~140 applicants we can accommodate interviewing. Even amongst those ~140, applicants start to blur together and we have no issues with diversity within that pool. Of those applicants ~110 will end up on our rank list. Going back to the Runt analogy, we want to filter those 3000+ Runts such that we maximize the potential number of strawberries and limes in our final bin of ~110 Runts; and we have limited time and resources in being able to do so. US schools are a known commodity in terms admissions, academic, and professionalism standards and based on that and past experience we have greater confidence in the number of strawberries and limes we'll get, being okay that we may end up with an orange or even banana, and have low odds of getting a cherry.

I have to bring it back to character unfortunately because that seems to be the main reason as to why people have an aversion to Caribbean students. Judgement of their character then has downstream effects of PDs being more inclined to take people who "played by the rules". That shouldn't have to be the case.

As stated previously by others and myself, character is very important because it can have very significant negative (and positive) effects on coresidents, the program and department as whole, the relationship of the program/department with other departments in the system, and the broader reputation of the program/department. Yeah, we can't predict everything but we use the available information with the available resources to evaluate and minimize potential risk.

When Caribbean students reach the point of applying to residencies, it's safe to say that they're in good academic standing, have passed their exams, have been proficient enough to complete clinical rotations and electives.

No. When I filter applicants by school and look just at Carib applicants the prevalence of prior dismissals, academic issues, taking more than 4 years to complete med school for reasons other than research or additional degrees, Step failures, low Step scores, etc. is MUCH, MUCH higher. Also, as previously stated, the clinical rotations of Carib students are not comparable to those of US students. I personally know people who have gone the Carib route and also know physicians who take payments from Carib school to take students for clinical rotations and then either just have the students shadow for a few days or just take the payment, complete an eval, and/or write a LOR without offering any clinical experience.

-Personality? That's through an interview that is sometimes not even offered strictly because of their standing as a Caribbean student.

Interviews, LORs, PS, overall application, MSPE. And again, it is absolutely impossible to interview every single applicant. It's not a perfect system and there certainly are subjective factors, but it's the best we have. The only reasonable way I can think to improve this aspect is to incorporate IO psychologists on both the program and applicant side of the process, but there is no practical or feasible way of doing this and it wouldn't completely eliminate unknown factors and subjectivity.

-LORs? If the feedback is positive and meaningful then there's no reason why the doctor's legitimacy or standing should come into play. They're not the ones applying to residency. They're a licensed and board certified doctor and that should be enough.

LORs are HIGHLY subjective, largely generic and interchangeable between applicants, and often taken with a large grain of salt. If a LOR author is known to a residency selection committee member and the letter is personal and genuine we're likely to give it more credence. Otherwise, it's like reading tea leaves. We know some people use generic templates and never turn down students when they ask for LORs regardless of the extent or quality of their experience with the student. We know it's not uncommon for attendings to just tell students to write a letter that they then throw in their signature and a statement claiming the student waived their right to read the letter. One the physicians I know who took Carib students collected the money from the school, gave the students the entire rotation to just study for shelf without any clinical exposure, and offered to write a "glowing" eval and LOR. As an aside, this physician had a decades long history of numerous board complaints for professionalism issues with sanctions placed on his licenses and ultimately lost his licenses about 2 years ago.

If the fear is saturating the residency market and overwhelming PDs with applicants, then that shouldn't be any of our concern as students/residents.

Yeah, it should be of concern. It dilutes the profession and puts medicine into a similar predicament as law (which we are progressively nearing).

AAMC has forecasted a physician shortage by 2034.

This is a much more nuanced issue, with maldistribution v. a sheer shortage being a significant and often overlooked factor.

I for one am looking forward to OP’s Reddit and Twitter mega-threads about how “toxic” and “racist” SDN is about Carib grads.

Equity is not that important. Fairness isn’t important either. We all want the best residents we can get, period. The worst US grad is more likely to be a good resident than the best Carib grad. If that screws over some people dumb enough to go south of the border, I’m okay with that.

Much of clinical medicine is making major decisions based on your own experience and judgement knowing that you’re going to be wrong from time to time. Caribbean students make terrible residents and tend to come with a ton of baggage and mental health issues. I’m always going to play the odds and go with US grads. The only time I will interview a Caribbean grad is when the day comes that no US students apply.

Does that mean they should be banned from the US? Of course not - we have plenty of terrible doctors in this country, I just don’t want to train them or work with them. But someone has to staff the jobs nobody else wants. And even a terrible doc can refer someone to a good doc.
MEDTWITTER will burn you for this :rofl: IMG have a big presence there but I am looking forward to the mega thread

I think residency spots should be for the best applicants and period. The reality is that 98% of US MD/DO seniors are better than the best Carib grad

AAMC has forecasted a physician shortage by 2034. Narrowing the playing field and dealing with the fallout of burnout students and physicians isn't the way it's going to be fixed.
the physician shortage is not as big as it seems. In big cities, there is actually an oversupply of many specialties. Physicians are redistributed incorrectly because no one wanna live in rural Montana

OP, I'm sure everyone on here can share some of your frustration. Why are Harvard/Hopkins/Penn students chosen over students with better resumes from mid-tier programs? Why are MD students chosen over DO? It happens in every field, not just medicine. It's simply a matter of perceptions and outcomes. However, I think both you and many of the people answering on this thread are overlooking the core reason for this discrimination.

To put it simply, most criteria that residency programs are looking for is simply a box to check. Are you likable enough? Are you clinically competent enough? Above that, they want future leaders who will serve as future donors and as a good advertisement for the program. Caribbean students are highly unlikely to fit this bill. They are highly unlikely to be elected as a leader of a major organization. They are highly unlikely to become a Chief or Chair. They're even less likely to become a partner at a highly profitable private practice clinic who donates a nice chunk to the school/program later. It may be a viscous cycle, but again that doesn't matter. No one is going to individually try to break the cycle with their low- or middle-tier residency program.

I feel fairly certain that the top 10% of basically every medical school, from the top to the bottom, likely outshines middle-of-the-pack students from schools ranked far above in terms of bedside manner, clinical acumen, research ability, and general competency. To residency programs that hardly matters. You can't bill for bedside manner, and being a better physician rarely, if ever, results in better pay for a hospital or physician. When you apply for NIH grants, you can't prove you are actually a world-class researcher who was simply held back by your inferior program's opportunities. Inherent ability simply doesn't matter to the individual players, and you are making the mistake of assuming it does. You need deliverables. One of those deliverables is a well-regarded degree.

No. When I filter applicants by school and look just at Carib applicants the prevalence of prior dismissals, academic issues, taking more than 4 years to complete med school for reasons other than research or additional degrees, Step failures, low Step scores, etc. is MUCH, MUCH higher. Also, as previously stated, the clinical rotations of Carib students are not comparable to those of US students. I personally know people who have gone the Carib route and also know physicians who take payments from Carib school to take students for clinical rotations and then either just have the students shadow for a few days or just take the payment, complete an eval, and/or write a LOR without offering any clinical experience.

I really want to emphasize this point. I've seen this time and time again by IG "medfluencers" even one attending in her 40s ranting about how an IMG/FMG needs a 260 "just to match a low-tier IM program" which is definitely not true. IMGs/FMGs latch onto these few anecdotes and then assume that every IMG/FMG is this genius who pulled a 260 out of their ass. In reality, the USMLE average is brought down by IMG/FMG/DO which is why most USMD median is higher than the overall median score.

This is a much more nuanced issue, with maldistribution v. a sheer shortage being a significant and often overlooked factor.
the physician shortage is not as big as it seems. In big cities, there is actually an oversupply of many specialties. Physicians are redistributed incorrectly because no one wanna live in rural Montana
Yes, and it's an important distinction. We have the same physician density as Canada, Italy, and Spain, and we are a little bit short of the UK. A lot of groups are trying to decrease the physician shortage by training more providers or expanding scope of practice for providers, but that does no good when these new providers just set up yet another specialty clinic in the Bay Area or Boston. An NP opening a med spa isn't helping the physician shortage one bit.

What we likely actually need is likely a tightening of residency/fellowship spots for specialist physicians and a broadening of primary care. Then we need to focus on training people who are okay living and working in a rural area. Idk about you, but the greatest underrepresented group in my medical school is probably students from truly rural areas, even more than traditional URMs.

It's a very challenging problem, because a lot of the people who have values compatible with medicine (and exhibit that on an application) are also the type that are likely to want to live and practice near a liberal, metropolitan area. Couple that with the fact that most people marry in their income bracket these days, so their spouse will likely take a pay cut or have limited career opportunities in some flyover state. Personally, almost everyone I've dated for the past 5 years since I started med school will have better career opportunities in SF, NYC, Boston, Seattle, DC, Chicago, etc... I've even thought about favoring broad specialties with lower pay over some more narrow ones with limited markets (e.g., IM subspecialty vs. surg subspecialty) because I value location so much. So if we want to solve this problem, more people like me are not really the answer.

Sorry to contribute to this derailing of the thread. I just thought these were important points to make while the subject was up.

Status
Not open for further replies.