One thing about Caribbean schools…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think that would certainly deal a blow to their entire business model and academic practices, I think it's absolutely necessary to ensure proper education from the very beginning. Right now, Caribbean education is painted to be lax and not as stringent as the states. Which is true in certain aspects. So then, all PDs have to base their decision from that frame of mind and look at their exam scores and superficial qualities as the only deciding factor. Having a regulatory body would certainly be against the interest of a for-profit institution but it would remove the question of the illegitimacy of a Caribbean education. It would be properly certified and therefore raise no questions as to the quality of education or admissions requirements or anything of that nature.

For the people who are statistically likely to fail boards, there are things like SMPs or alternate careers in medicine. That is a whole other topic of conversation, on how undergraduate advisors and institutions should recommend these things to below average applicants. But I think overall, having a more strict oversight would improve the quality of education and sort of bring in the last unincorporated piece of the residency picture. (i.e. actual IMGs from Europe and beyond do not tend to come to the U.S. for practice, while Carib students do). The patterns of migration are there, and it seems like no one is doing anything about it.
Pray tell, why did you go to a Carib school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like OP is a Carib student (possibly 2nd year) who is experiencing buyer’s remorse. Wants psychiatry, which is tough from the islands but I know someone who did it.

OP:
It’s a bitter pill to swallow, but you need to be more open minded that your emotion is clouding logic on this topic.

More importantly, if you can take a SCORED step 1 and kill it, that is the best thing you can do for your odds of matching psychiatry, if that is what you still want to do. You’re about to have a MUCH harder fight once step 1 is pass/fail. The step 2 average is sky high at baseline already, so standing out with that is highly unlikely.

I’m trying to be kind and helpful; plenty are going to dogpile on you for advocating for greedy companies that take advantage of people. I understand that you are trying to advocate for yourself, but I believe your opinion on this is incorrect.

Also, females can be dudes. Didnt you see GoodBurger?!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Looks like OP is a Carib student (possibly 2nd year) who is experiencing buyer’s remorse. Wants psychiatry, which is tough from the islands but I know someone who did it.
OP can apply to LECOM's MMS program, get a 497, drop out and go chase that DO bag to secure psych if they truly want it

Members don't see this ad :)
Bringing it back one more time. So how did these money farms get permission to send their graduates to practice in the U.S. in the first place? Should have never happened to begin with. Fine, we can't change what happened in the past. Alright. So put an end to these money farms sending their graduates to the states. Ban anyone with a fake offshore education from practicing in the United States. Like I said, it would be the solution to the problem and you wouldn't have people like me coming on here.

The only explanation as to why it's still happening is that US med students feed off of feeling superior to someone else. If it was just MD and DO students in competition (both of which are equal in academic standing and accomplishments), y'all would eat each other up. The fact that Caribs still exist is the product of classist (and maybe a little racist) behavior from the elite medical professionals who run the show. They need someone to marginalize and belittle. So instead of noticing the migration patterns of islands to US going on for the past 25+ years, they kept Caribs at bay and didn't do much to certify the education they were getting was legit. It keeps us quiet and keeps you stateside medical people from being hyper-competitive with each other and really ruining the assessment process.
Firstly, not a dude.

Second, the whole point of my initial post was to touch on the very point you seem to be missing. Oxford, Cambridge, and some top South Asian medical school are rightfully qualified and accredited by their local and possibly international bodies and clearly recognized to the point that a U.S. residency program will take them. Why can't Caribbean schools benefit from something like that? Clearly the demand for Caribbean schools isn't going away so why not subject them to proper qualification measures? The quality of professors, rotations, education, etc. will all follow.
For the six or seventh or eighth time, it's because the Carib schools are businesses that are dependent upon their current model. Making adhere to even COCA standards, much less LCME would mean every freaking one, every one would be shut down in a heartbeat. hey don't care about turning out a quality product; they just care about fleecing the suckers.
The only explanation as to why it's still happening is that US med students feed off of feeling superior to someone else. If it was just MD and DO students in competition (both of which are equal in academic standing and accomplishments), y'all would eat each other up. The fact that Caribs still exist is the product of classist (and maybe a little racist) behavior from the elite medical professionals who run the show. They need someone to marginalize and belittle. So instead of noticing the migration patterns of islands to US going on for the past 25+ years, they kept Caribs at bay and didn't do much to certify the education they were getting was legit. It keeps us quiet and keeps you stateside medical people from being hyper-competitive with each other and really ruining the assessment process.
Ah, now it's classism and racism, eh? Let me give you a warning. People are kicked out of residency for being unteachable. You are displaying this trait in spades.

I ask again, why did you go to a Carib school?

Lastly, here is the data I promised. Note that even DOs are more likely to be favored b y PDs than IMGs.
1636246741085.png

Bringing it back one more time. So how did these money farms get permission to send their graduates to practice in the U.S. in the first place? Should have never happened to begin with. Fine, we can't change what happened in the past. Alright. So put an end to these money farms sending their graduates to the states. Ban anyone with a fake offshore education from practicing in the United States. Like I said, it would be the solution to the problem and you wouldn't have people like me coming on here.

Idk how I missed this post earlier but holy hell dudette. You made this thread asking questions and you didn't like the answers, so it's no longer seeking info or trying to engage discussion. Now it's about pointing out how The United States of America and their Prestigious Medical Schools won't let any Caribbean student play in their sandbox because of classism and, hold up.... wait, you actually did say "a little" racism!

• Love
Pray tell, why did you go to a Carib school?
Idk how I missed this post earlier but holy hell dudette. You made this thread asking questions and you didn't like the answers, so it's no longer seeking info or trying to engage discussion. Now it's about pointing out how The United States of America and their Prestigious Medical Schools won't let any Caribbean student play in their sandbox because of classism and, hold up.... wait, you actually did say "a little" racism!

The reason I'm no longer engaging in discussion is that I was actually busy. With academic related work. I'm not a complete failure at my academics (which might come as a surprise to you all). I know how to balance my time instead of monitoring this site for an opportunity to give a biased opinion. Kind of alarming that some users are Attending Physicians have this much time on their hands and end up make some pretty blunt statements behind the disguise of a computer screen. I would never want any one of you to be my physician. Especially to the one that outright said "Equity doesn't matter". I'm assuming they're ones to turn away applicants based on socioeconomic status or even skin color. Guess we'll never find out though! But just like you have made inferences about my character and lack of teachability in the following comment, I can say whatever I want also-

Ah, now it's classism and racism, eh? Let me give you a warning. People are kicked out of residency for being unteachable. You are displaying this trait in spades.

I don't have to disclose the reasons why I ended up where I did. Especially not to you all. I think you all have formed an opinion of me from the beginning which is totally fine. So you all can discuss amongst yourselves about how I ended up here. You might very well run across the reason. But I don't seek validation from anyone here nor do I care to give anyone the satisfaction of knowing my personal life (which I never alluded to at any point during these threads). If I wanted to write a sob story I would have done that a long time ago.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
People often make their own beds but refuse to lie in them, which begs the question: why did you make your bed in the first place?

Edit: I went to a DO school, but you won't see me complaining here about why I currently only have 9 neuro interviews compared to MDs with the same stats as me having 14-15. I knew from the get go what being a DO entails, like I would never dream of applying to any surgery subspecialties, and I was comfortable with it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
The reason I'm no longer engaging in discussion is that I was actually busy. With academic related work. I'm not a complete failure at my academics (which might come as a surprise to you all). I know how to balance my time instead of monitoring this site for an opportunity to give a biased opinion. Kind of alarming that some users are Attending Physicians have this much time on their hands and end up make some pretty blunt statements behind the disguise of a computer screen. I would never want any one of you to be my physician. Especially to the one that outright said "Equity doesn't matter". I'm assuming they're ones to turn away applicants based on socioeconomic status or even skin color. Guess we'll never find out though! But just like you have made inferences about my character and lack of teachability in the following comment, I can say whatever I want also-

I don't have to disclose the reasons why I ended up where I did. Especially not to you all. I think you all have formed an opinion of me from the beginning which is totally fine. So you all can discuss amongst yourselves about how I ended up here. You might very well run across the reason. But I don't seek validation from anyone here nor do I care to give anyone the satisfaction of knowing my personal life (which I never alluded to at any point during these threads). If I wanted to write a sob story I would have done that a long time ago.
And Burnett's Law has been checked

This is now a classic SDN thread

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

With your attitude and close minded thinking to other people’s opinion that don’t agree with yours, trust me no one here wants you as their physician either.
Learn how to take negative feedback/criticism , as a IMG in rotations in the US, sadly it will come your way a lot.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
This thread is pretty pointless. If you want to make any of these changes then you can become a PD that equally values IMGs and US grads, or even Carib grads higher than US grads if you want. Until then it’s not realistic. Why would it be? There’s no reason for it to be completely equal.

Reactions: 5 users

I did my best to be kind and helpful in your endeavor to match psychiatry.

But this post is kind of… WILDLY IRONIC. You are proving the point of every poster arguing with you by showing the exact traits PDs would want to avoid matching.

Big yikes. I’m out, y’all.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.