question about 4 year schedule-please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

versicolor1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been using SDN as a resource and over the past few months found a great interest in radiation oncology. I have a question in regards to whether I should do away rotations first or take Step 2. My option is taking step 2 in july and doing aways for the month of August, Sept, and October. Is october too late to do an away? I made a 248 on step 1, have done non-rad onc research but should be starting some beginning of 4th year..not sure if taking step 2 would help improve my application. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I second GFunk. You will not get screened out of any interviews based on your board score, so step 2 is useless for you.

Much more valuable would be to use that time to do a research elective. Work your ACE off during that month & get something submitted for publication. This will not only impress the program where you do the elective, but pay huge dividends come interview season.

Or use that time to do another away rotation. But you could do an away research rotation which may be more valuable. Good luck! Now that you have tasted the forbidden fruit - there is no turning back. The curse of radonc is that nothing else will ever measure up once you have found it :D