4 specialties with decline in applications on ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2CDBB4BE-B469-4DFC-934F-7E7ECA7DBBA1.png

This was posted in the EM forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently what KILLED field per many is GREEDY PP docs!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get psych being one of the 4 honestly. Great demand all over the country, increasing salaries too. Couldn't do it, myself

Reactions: 2 users
The canary is ALWAYS right. No one knows the ins and outs more than gunner Med students

Maybe psych has lost its shine again?

I wonder if remand for rheumatology has gone up with the rise in irAEs? Problem for them is it’s just office visits, doesn’t bill enough?

For psych, it's due to IMG applications going down, but apps from US MDs and DOs continue to increase.

Remember, this is also number of applications recieved per program, which is related to the number of applicants, but more importantly to the number of applications sent by each applicant. This is more a function of perceived competitiveness then overall medical student interest, though the two are related.

I highly doubt that urology applicants increased by 40% (hope not, or it will be a bloodbath). I think it’s likely the number of applicants went up a bit and the rest is more applications per applicant.

Reactions: 6 users
Remember, this is also number of applications recieved per program, which is related to the number of applicants, but more importantly to the number of applications sent by each applicant. This is more a function of perceived competitiveness then overall medical student interest, though the two are related.

I highly doubt that urology applicants increased by 40% (hope not, or it will be a bloodbath). I think it’s likely the number of applicants went up a bit and the rest is more applications per applicant.
Yes! Exactly. This chart isn’t really saying what we are saying in general. Looking at two somewhat related but not exactly the same things

Yes! Exactly. This chart isn’t really saying what we are saying in general. Looking at two somewhat related but not exactly the same things
Agree but the conclusion is reduced interest on the part of US Senior Medical Students

So I’m curious, how much has the number of US seniors increased since 2019? Most specialties have increased and by a decent bit. We are a drop in the bucket so take us off and growth is the predominate thing you see.

So I’m curious, how much has the number of US seniors increased since 2019? Most specialties have increased and by a decent bit. We are a drop in the bucket so take us off and growth is the predominate thing you see.
1300 more USMDs in total in 2022 compared to 2019
Radonc went from 181 US seniors to 121 US seniors in that time; Clearly because programs stopped incorporating into lectures right? Not because both residents and med students that were applying rated the fear of the job market as the most worrisome feature. Just keep replying with bolder-dash about how it's becuase we need to be incorporated more into the medical school diction as a way to pump up your CVs!

The amount of US Seniors for spots in the last 3 years? about 110 for 185 spots on average. If we had 110 spots we'd probably be at a solid equilibrium for years.

People/ programs who are trying to fix it? Kavanagh, that's it. The Ohio and Pennsylvania programs talked about it, but still took as many people as they could. Why act like you want to fix things and then just keep doing the same thing? I don't know. Who else is withholding a significant percentage of their programs spots? No one.

It's literally just Kavanagh (seriously, what a genuinely good person [so much respect for him] everyone should 100% rank his program first if they interview with him), everyone else is squeezing gas and not changing anything

Programs want to make money and get funding, they don't care about the entering generation, it's just about getting what you can while the gettins good.

Imagine if every resident and early attending went to twitter and spoke the truth (Lennon would be proud), spoke what was said behind closed door, change would be so much closer. But nah it's just a rare event of one real person every few weeks making a post about how the youngins are getting taken advantage of and troll accounts saying ridiculous things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Radonc went from 181 US seniors to 121 US seniors in that time; Clearly because programs stopped incorporating into lectures right? Not because both residents and med students that were applying rated the fear of the job market as the most worrisome feature. Just keep replying with bolder-dash about how it's becuase we need to be incorporated more into the medical school diction as a way to pump up your CVs!

The amount of US Seniors for spots in the last 3 years? about 110 for 185 spots on average. If we had 110 spots we'd probably be at a solid equilibrium for years.

People/ programs who are trying to fix it? Kavanagh, that's it. The Ohio and Pennsylvania programs talked about it, but still took as many people as they could. Why act like you want to fix things and then just keep doing the same thing? I don't know. Who else is withholding a significant percentage of their programs spots? No one.

It's literally just Kavanagh (seriously, what a genuinely good person [so much respect for him] everyone should 100% rank his program first if they interview with him), everyone else is squeezing gas and not changing anything

Programs want to make money and get funding, they don't care about the entering generation, it's just about getting what you can while the gettins good.

Imagine if every resident and early attending went to twitter and spoke the truth (Lennon would be proud), spoke what was said behind closed door, change would be so much closer. But nah it's just a rare event of one real person every few weeks making a post about how the youngins are getting taken advantage of and troll accounts saying ridiculous things.
Emma fields has been too. Mdacc reduced a spot last year iirc

troll accounts saying ridiculous things.
Lemmi, MROGA and Marie have sounded a lot more rational to me overall than the gaslighting coming from the radoncrocks crew over there

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Yup MDACC via their PD has been taking one fewer resident then they could the past two years. I'm not aware of any other programs who have publicly stated this though.

Other places have said they won't soap. But as the data shows, that doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day. As these no soap programs ultimately find a way to fill their full resident complement either outside of the match or bumping the unfilled spot to the next year's match cycle.

Last edited:
Some programs also increased their residency numbers- case western, Jeff, duke, Columbia?

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if remand for rheumatology has gone up with the rise in irAEs? Problem for them is it’s just office visits, doesn’t bill enough?
Rheum here. We don't really see many irAEs to be honest unless you're in a big academic center. Private rheumatologists make most of their money on infusions and fortunately clinic visit billing went up significantly in 2021.

Emma fields has been too. Mdacc reduced a spot last year iirc

Lemmi, MROGA and Marie have sounded a lot more rational to me overall than the gaslighting coming from the radoncrocks crew over there
I have been ranting for years about price gouging at 5 x cms rates, and probably came off as a wack job until Jan of this year when some depts posted prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have been ranting for years about price gouging at 5 x cms rates, and probably came off as a wack job until Jan of this year when some depts posted prices.
And on twitter, many dip sh— like KO several years ago spouted trash like “jobs will not be a problem. Hypofract won’t affect jobs” I remember Percy lee saying something to the effect of “hypofract is great for the specialty and if it doesn’t prompt more people to apply, I don’t know what will”. Various Astro presidents saying future is so bright. The crazy sh—t on twitter last few years has been coming from the establishment.

Reactions: 3 users