This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, I recently submitted apps (was waiting to get my senior fall transcript in order to submit) My GPA is 3.47 so on the lower end for a career changer but major upward trend and got a 4.0 this semester. I’ve applied to a good few schools but am interested in UVM, does anyone have any sense for how good my chances would be? I’m a psych major writing minor from a liberal arts school; I have some research experience, clinical work, clinical volunteering, and other volunteering. 1290 SAT (so fairly low but it’s from 2017). Any comments would help! All the best

Members don't see this ad.

hey! I don’t know about uvm specifically but was in a similar situation with still being in college + lowish gpa + big upward trend (although my act was 34…but I really don’t think they care too much about standardized tests). i had a lot of success with my postbac applications this year and you will too :) good luck!!
Thank you so much for the encouragement! Congrats to you about your acceptances—so awesome! Have you decided where to go?

Hi all, I recently submitted apps (was waiting to get my senior fall transcript in order to submit) My GPA is 3.47 so on the lower end for a career changer but major upward trend and got a 4.0 this semester. I’ve applied to a good few schools but am interested in UVM, does anyone have any sense for how good my chances would be? I’m a psych major writing minor from a liberal arts school; I have some research experience, clinical work, clinical volunteering, and other volunteering. 1290 SAT (so fairly low but it’s from 2017). Any comments would help! All the best
Hi! I heard back from UVM relatively quickly (there's no interview required) so roughly within a week or two of submitting my app-- so I think they accept students ongoing for each semester/cycle whereas other formal postbac programs usually only offer a summer/fall start date.

I met with an advisor to learn more about the program but ended up deciding not to go. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in applying to JHU.
What were your stats?
I am an international student and havent guven GRE .
I have 3.68 GPA from foreign degree.

What do you think would be my chances??
My stats: 3.85 UG GPA, 4.0 master's GPA; 2+ years of research experience, not so much clinical experience. I can't comment too much about your chances since they look at so many different things and I didn't even know my own chances when applying lol. Good luck!

Hey everyone! I’m joining the party late, but congratulations to everyone on their acceptances, and good luck to everyone still applying!

I’m still in the process of applying (RIP) to these schools: WUSTL, Scripps, UVA, JHU, Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, Tufts, NYU, Georgetown, and UVM. I have two questions for you lovely people:

1) Is it too late for me? (LOL, that sounds so dramatic.) I know a lot of y’all have already interviewed/been given decisions, and with the rolling admissions of many of these schools, I’m feeling a little nervous about my chances. I believe I have a strong application, but I played myself by applying so late. Are schools still providing acceptances?

2) To those who applied to UVM: Is the “Personal Statement” they ask for in “Supporting Materials” in PostbacCas the same as the PostbacCas personal statement? Or a completely different one? They have basically the same prompt.

Thanks for your help. :)

Hey everyone! I’m joining the party late, but congratulations to everyone on their acceptances, and good luck to everyone still applying!

I’m still in the process of applying (RIP) to these schools: WUSTL, Scripps, UVA, JHU, Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, Tufts, NYU, Georgetown, and UVM. I have two questions for you lovely people:

1) Is it too late for me? (LOL, that sounds so dramatic.) I know a lot of y’all have already interviewed/been given decisions, and with the rolling admissions of many of these schools, I’m feeling a little nervous about my chances. I believe I have a strong application, but I played myself by applying so late. Are schools still providing acceptances?

2) To those who applied to UVM: Is the “Personal Statement” they ask for in “Supporting Materials” in PostbacCas the same as the PostbacCas personal statement? Or a completely different one? They have basically the same prompt.

Hey! Welcome :)

I'm not an admissions person so feel free to take this with a grain of salt...

1) But I don't think you're too late at all! I've heard that programs know there will be later applicants and fill spots accordingly. I applied to Hopkins last among my other applications and thought I was "late", but ended up being among the first few to be accepted. (Obviously, if it's past the deadline for these programs than you are late in that sense lol, but if not -- don't count yourself out!). If you are still working on apps, I would turn them in sooner or later because PostBacCAS and individual program portals have processing times for transcripts and such, so that can delay your application to be considered complete for weeks. I had difficulty sending transcripts through the postal service with COVID and whatnot, so keep that in mind.

2) I applied to UVM (was accepted); that portion of the application was confusing and I ended up submitting the same personal statement twice. I don't know if that was the best thing to do, but I responded to vague instructions accordingly lol.

Best of luck!

Similar to the other person who responded, I’m not an admissions person so can only speak from my understanding but with that being said:

I’m a current undergrad and asked each of my programs if I should apply early or apply later (but with my most recent transcript fall 2021) and the unanimous answer was to wait and apply after I received my fall transcript which I did (and then applied on Dec 22nd). I say this all to point out two things: 1) Most universities were closed by the time I submitted so they didn’t acknowledge anything until a week ago and 2) some schools don’t send fall transcripts until January so these schools verified that there are definitely spots they save knowing people may choose to apply later for a multitude of reasons! I’m sure they would not have advised me to wait if they intended to fill their spots all (or almost all) within the fall so i’d say go ahead and apply! I’ve gotten only one decision back so far but it was an acceptance! Good luck with the rest of the process and I am routing for you to finish up your apps you’ve got it!

Would people be willing to share what questions were asked during GW interview? I know they may differ but I’d love to get a sense if anyone would share! Thanks!

Would people be willing to share what questions were asked during GW interview? I know they may differ but I’d love to get a sense if anyone would share! Thanks!
Here are some that I remember:

-re: experiences (academic history, current job, clinical experience), what can you take from all of it and apply to your new journey towards medicine?
-do you have any experience being in a team and what was your role in that team?
-what kind of doctor do you want to be?
-why do you want to be a physician (and not PA, NP, etc)?
-why are you interested in the GW program?
-what would you do if you didn’t get into a postbac?
-what do you think the biggest problem in medicine is?
-think of a time you struggled academically, how did you overcome it?
-what is one conflict you had (personal or professional) and how did you resolve it?

Congrats on the interview, and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Here are some that I remember:

-re: experiences (academic history, current job, clinical experience), what can you take from all of it and apply to your new journey towards medicine?
-do you have any experience being in a team and what was your role in that team?
-what kind of doctor do you want to be?
-why do you want to be a physician (and not PA, NP, etc)?
-why are you interested in the GW program?
-what would you do if you didn’t get into a postbac?
-what do you think the biggest problem in medicine is?
-think of a time you struggled academically, how did you overcome it?
-what is one conflict you had (personal or professional) and how did you resolve it?

Congrats on the interview, and good luck!
Yea, these were pretty much the same questions I had. I also was asked how comfortable I am with my math skills.

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what the Bryn Mawr interview was like - thanks!!

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what the Bryn Mawr interview was like - thanks!!
Hi, I interviewed with the new assistant program director. It was a standard interview in terms of asking about my background, why medicine/career-change, and asking me about experience listed on my resume and related follow-up questions. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone apply to Harvard Extension School's Premed Post Bacc Program? I just submitted my app (the application just opened).

Did anyone apply to Harvard Extension School's Premed Post Bacc Program? I just submitted my app (the application just opened).
I applied on Feb 1, the day they opened. I haven't been able to find anything online about what the usual decision timeline is like, but I'm not expecting anything super fast. I know it's rolling, but probably not for another month or so if I had to guess. Good luck to you!

So, it looks like I committed to UVA! :)

If anyone has any questions about things like stats, extracurriculars, or the admissions process, shoot me a DM.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied on Feb 1, the day they opened. I haven't been able to find anything online about what the usual decision timeline is like, but I'm not expecting anything super fast. I know it's rolling, but probably not for another month or so if I had to guess. Good luck to you!
I agree, I'll have to force myself to be patient. I was so late with my other applications that I'm just relieved to be early for once :p Good luck to you as well!

Hi everyone! I finished submitting apps to Wustl, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern and USC last week for summer 2022 admission– I am a senior in undergrad, so I needed to wait until I had access to my fall 2021 transcripts before getting everything finalized and submitted. Super nervous for admissions because I haven't been able to find any admissions rates/class composition info/etc., so everything here been helpful so far! A little worried about rolling admissions because I've never dealt with them before. Background on me:

- 3.7 cumulative GPA as a double economics-philosophy major at an Ivy
- switched gears from finance to medicine after summer analyst program at a bulge bracket bank
- 4.1 GPA in science and math courses (calc I, calc III, calc-stats, science of psych, biopharma dev & reg, biotech dev & reg seminar)
- president of my sorority, lots of volunteer and EC leadership throughout undergrad (student council, tutoring, fundraising)
- volunteered for swabbing at a COVID test site in my hometown this past summer and during winter break
- two strong letters of rec (1 from tenured philosophy prof and another from a university administrator)

Hi everyone! I finished submitting apps to Wustl, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern and USC last week for summer 2022 admission– I am a senior in undergrad, so I needed to wait until I had access to my fall 2021 transcripts before getting everything finalized and submitted. Super nervous for admissions because I haven't been able to find any admissions rates/class composition info/etc., so everything here been helpful so far! A little worried about rolling admissions because I've never dealt with them before. Background on me:

- switched gears from finance to medicine after summer analyst program at a bulge bracket bank
- 4.1 GPA in science and math courses (calc I, calc III, calc-stats, science of psych, biopharma dev & reg, biotech dev & reg seminar)
- president of my sorority, lots of volunteer and EC leadership throughout undergrad (student council, tutoring, fundraising)
- volunteered for swabbing at a COVID test site in my hometown this past summer and during winter break
- two strong letters of rec (1 from tenured philosophy prof and another from a university administrator)
If it helps to ease your mind it sounds like
you are in a good position! Programs will like to see that you have some clinical volunteering and that you are comfortable in science and math! Be confident! Best of luck :)

Welcome to the thread! I'm applying to some of those programs too, and I agree — there is surprisingly little information about them that's easily accessible. I've taken to scouring old Reddit and SDN threads, but many of those are super outdated.

Your stats seem awesome, so I wouldn't be worried — I think adcoms want to see that you'd thrive in an academically rigorous institution, and that you've given the career change some thought. Sounds like you have!

I got into Columbia and Northwestern. Waiting to hear back from UF, GW, UM. I may finish my application for John Hopkins or UVA but what has been stopping me is that I don't have GRE's or SATs. It wasn't required for me to go to college.

I am waiting to hear from scripps still and applied about a month and a half ago. How long did it take for others to hear back from them about interview or rejection?

Was just waitlisted from Bryn Mawr...anyone else in the same boat or know anything about the chances of getting off it?

Found out on Feb. 10th that I was accepted to WashU! Submitted my completed application on the 6th, so the turnaround was insanely fast. I spoke with an advisor on the 8th, and he said I would have a decision within three weeks! I have already confirmed my enrollment and will be starting in May, planning to take advantage of the linkage to UMich!

Hi, what made you apply to HES? In my research I found other forums about how high the attrition rate is and the program isn't structured. Has that changed? Did you speak to anyone in the program or program staff? Genuinely interested, because I have been on the fence about applying.

For me, the interview was very pleasant and felt more like a conversation than anything. The ladies I interviewed with (20 mins with the Assistant Director, then 40 mins with the Director) were very warm and seemed quite familiar with my application and story. I was fully prepared to answer “tell me about yourself” and “why medicine?” but they didn’t bother asking such broad questions. They wanted to know more of the fine details of my app (my duties in my clinical experience, current job, and other extracurriculars from college), so it was also important that I reviewed my resume/activities/PS beforehand. Then Betsy (Director) took some time to explain the structure/schedule of the program, gave a brief overview of their volunteer opportunities and Glide year positions, and answered any questions I had. I’m so blown away by the interview (+class observation & student Q&A) process— everyone seems so genuinely kind, collaborative, and invested in the postbacs’ success. I hope this helps!

And hang in there, I’m sure you will hear back from programs soon! Keep us posted! :)
Hello! I’m also planned for an interview with Goucher next week and am so anxious rn hahah. Goucher is my number one choice and I want to do my very best in the interview to get in!! So far your comment here has been the most helpful one. I understand that it’s been awhile, but if you can recall, could you elaborate a little bit more on what kind of questions they asked during the interview? How specific were they when they asked you about your activities? and do you know anyone who has been rejected after their interview? Idk how much the interview counts towards the final decision (whether anyone who has been invited to interview gets accepted for sure or not) so.. For now I am expecting questions mainly on why medicine, why goucher, and detailed explanation on activities. Any comments on the interview will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Hi, what made you apply to HES? In my research I found other forums about how high the attrition rate is and the program isn't structured. Has that changed? Did you speak to anyone in the program or program staff? Genuinely interested, because I have been on the fence about applying.
Hey! I applied even though the program is unstructured because I heard that the courses are affordable (relatively) and that the evening courses can accommodate students who work, do research, etc. in a way that more intensive structured programs cannot. My investigation into the program was mostly through prior students' experiences on SDN/Reddit + information from the program website. Most of the student accounts I read were favorable -- the program is certainly not as hand-holdy as others, but I got the vibe that if you put in the effort, you'll be able to succeed. There definitely seems to be a solid support network available for students if they are proactive about seeking resources.

I'm curious about the high attrition rate you read about -- could you explain that further? Could be the result of a variety of factors, but I'd love to hear students' perspectives on why that may be.

Hello! I’m also planned for an interview with Goucher next week and am so anxious rn hahah. Goucher is my number one choice and I want to do my very best in the interview to get in!! So far your comment here has been the most helpful one. I understand that it’s been awhile, but if you can recall, could you elaborate a little bit more on what kind of questions they asked during the interview? How specific were they when they asked you about your activities? and do you know anyone who has been rejected after their interview? Idk how much the interview counts towards the final decision (whether anyone who has been invited to interview gets accepted for sure or not) so.. For now I am expecting questions mainly on why medicine, why goucher, and detailed explanation on activities. Any comments on the interview will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Hi there! Congratulations on the interview, I’m sure you will do so great! I’m trying my best to remember, but honestly it was a very personalized interview and they really didn’t ask any cookie-cutter, why medicine why now, questions. They seemed to REALLY know my app (activities, essay, but mostly activities) well to the point where almost all of their questions were probing and they wanted to understand more about them. For example, I work a very specific job in education, and they asked me a lot about that and I explained what I did. They also focused a lot on my clinical experience and asked about my duties, what I did, etc. So I do think you should know your activities pretty well, enough to explain what they entailed and the impact they had on others and yourself. This is not to say you won’t get a different interview experience— you might get a why medicine question if that’s what they decide to ask! But my biggest piece of advice is to go in there with both warmth and confidence, because they obviously find you a great candidate. I think I’ve heard of at least one person being put on a waitlist after the interview, but it doesn’t seem like they would reject anyone after an interview unless they said something out of left field. I hope this helped, and feel free to DM me if you want me to elaborate on something else or if you have other questions :)

Hi there! Congratulations on the interview, I’m sure you will do so great! I’m trying my best to remember, but honestly it was a very personalized interview and they really didn’t ask any cookie-cutter, why medicine why now, questions. They seemed to REALLY know my app (activities, essay, but mostly activities) well to the point where almost all of their questions were probing and they wanted to understand more about them. For example, I work a very specific job in education, and they asked me a lot about that and I explained what I did. They also focused a lot on my clinical experience and asked about my duties, what I did, etc. So I do think you should know your activities pretty well, enough to explain what they entailed and the impact they had on others and yourself. This is not to say you won’t get a different interview experience— you might get a why medicine question if that’s what they decide to ask! But my biggest piece of advice is to go in there with both warmth and confidence, because they obviously find you a great candidate. I think I’ve heard of at least one person being put on a waitlist after the interview, but it doesn’t seem like they would reject anyone after an interview unless they said something out of left field. I hope this helped, and feel free to DM me if you want me to elaborate on something else or if you have other questions :)
Thank you so much! Really appreciated :)

Just got my acceptance to the HES program, very excited. As far as the attrition rate that people above were talking about: from what I understand, the program is really not geared towards GPA boosters or re-applicants. The classes are hard, and they grade accordingly, and the advisors are not particularly interested in helping you boost your GPA or look better the second time around. They are mostly focused on career changers, and the system is built around that. Most students are working either full or part time, and just need to get pre-reqs done and have a high GPA already. The classes are meant to be taken online in the evenings with labs in person on weekends. Because of this I have heard that many GPA boosters drop out rather quickly because the program is not what they expected, or have a hard time with procrastinating on the flexible schedule. That said, it seems as though career changers have a very good shot, especially if you're all-in on this path. Just make sure you don't claim to be a "harvard student", or the undergrads will laugh you out of Cambridge, it's an extension school, and everyone in Boston knows it ;)

Hi all. I've been lurking here for a while, but just finished my application cycle. I joined pretty late in the game because I wasn't sure if I wanted to apply this cycle or next cycle, but ended up deciding to go for it. Here's the schools I applied to and a timeline of each decision/interview invite. Hopes this helps others in future cycles. I accepted my offer from GW so I will be starting there in May.

School NameDate SubmittedPostBacCas VerifiedApplication Acknowledged Interview InviteInterview DateDecision Date
Bryn Mawr1/22/20221/28/20221/28/20221/31/20222/7/20222/22/2022 (R)
Goucher1/22/20221/28/20221/22/2022NANA2/11/2022 (R)
UVA1/22/20221/28/20221/31/2022NANA2/25/2022 (R)
GW1/22/20221/28/20221/31/20222/2/20222/11/20222/17/2022 (A)
UVM1/22/20221/28/20222/17/2022NANA2/25/2022 (A)
Michigan 1/24/2022NA1/24/20222/11/20222/17/20222/25/2022 (A)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, I am so glad to have found this forum. I am a recent college grad who is on a pre dental track and I am applying to postbacc/masters programs. So far, I have applied to Agnes Scott, Temple, Michigan's Oral Health Science program, Midwestern, Nova Southeastern, Chatham, Georgetown and Touro Nevada. I am waiting to hear back from Agnes Scott by next week I should have their decision, and I had an interview with Michigan but has anyone heard from these other places?

I got accepted to Northeastern!

Kind of weird; I found out by getting an email telling me to setup my Northeastern account LOL
Sorry, I know this post is older, but wanted to see if you followed through with Northeastern. How do you like it? Any info you can provide about the program would be great. There doesn't seem to be much info online.

Was just waitlisted from Bryn Mawr...anyone else in the same boat or know anything about the chances of getting off it?
I was accepted off the waitlist late January, and turned down my spot on the waitlist about a week ago since I'll be going to Hopkins. Hope this is good news in that people do get off the waitlist! Wishing you the best.

I am waiting to hear from scripps still and applied about a month and a half ago. How long did it take for others to hear back from them about interview or rejection?
hi, I applied very early on in the cycle, completed the app on 9/21/21 and received the interview email on 10/6/21, so it does take a few weeks. Wouldn't hurt to follow-up?

Congrats!! That's a quick turnaround! How long did it take from submitting your application to be extended an interview invite? I've been accepted to Agnes Scott, but GW is my top choice, and am definitely hoping to get an interview with GWU before having to put a deposit down at Agnes Scott.
Hi, Agnes Scott is one of my top choices, I was wondering if you mind sharing your stats?

hi, I applied very early on in the cycle, completed the app on 9/21/21 and received the interview email on 10/6/21, so it does take a few weeks. Wouldn't hurt to follow-up?
I ended up following up and getting an interview invite! Thanks for the advice :) Any tips for interview?

Just got my acceptance to the HES program, very excited. As far as the attrition rate that people above were talking about: from what I understand, the program is really not geared towards GPA boosters or re-applicants. The classes are hard, and they grade accordingly, and the advisors are not particularly interested in helping you boost your GPA or look better the second time around. They are mostly focused on career changers, and the system is built around that. Most students are working either full or part time, and just need to get pre-reqs done and have a high GPA already. The classes are meant to be taken online in the evenings with labs in person on weekends. Because of this I have heard that many GPA boosters drop out rather quickly because the program is not what they expected, or have a hard time with procrastinating on the flexible schedule. That said, it seems as though career changers have a very good shot, especially if you're all-in on this path. Just make sure you don't claim to be a "harvard student", or the undergrads will laugh you out of Cambridge, it's an extension school, and everyone in Boston knows it ;)
I'm in my first year of the program now and this is spot on. The program definitely does not hold your hand and expects you to behave like an adult. That being said, there is a new director of the program (Dr. Cullinane) and he has been excellent so far regarding advising students and mobilizing the resources of Harvard Medical School to help students out. As far as the classes go, they are very rigorous. Balancing two classes per semester and a full-time job is a substantial time commitment. There have been a decent amount of students who have dropped out; on the other hand, there are a substantial amount of students who get A-/As in the classes. It depends entirely on you and I would not be worried about other students' inability to manager the program when considering whether the program would be a good fit for you.

Sorry, I know this post is older, but wanted to see if you followed through with Northeastern. How do you like it? Any info you can provide about the program would be great. There doesn't seem to be much info online.
I ended up getting into UVA and withdrawing my Northeastern acceptance— so, I don’t have much info about the student experience. I know many people dislike the program because there doesn’t seem to be a lot of guidance to the post-baccs. :(

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.31.54 AM.png

I saw someone else post their stats. I thought I would share in case this is helpful to anyone as far as how my timeline went.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who have been accepted to Jefferson 2022-2023/2024 and are considering the program -- we have a GroupMe if y'all would like to join

I ended up getting into UVA and withdrawing my Northeastern acceptance— so, I don’t have much info about the student experience. I know many people dislike the program because there doesn’t seem to be a lot of guidance to the post-baccs. :(
Hey can you please advise my on the interview for UVA? I am scheduled for march 16th and was wondering if you remember your experience and what they asked?

If you're comparing those two, I will say that I ended up choosing UVA. They have a 95% acceptance rate into medical school and the program/admin honestly seemed incredibly cool to me. The iteration of the US healthcare weekly seminar that I shadowed for my interview convinced me immediately. :)
Hey can you help me with what they ask during UVA's interview and how I can prepare ahead of time please? I only have one interview and that's with UVA so any help is appreciated

So, it looks like I committed to UVA! :)

If anyone has any questions about things like stats, extracurriculars, or the admissions process, shoot me a DM.
First off congrats! Can you please share your interview experience, what did they ask, how to prepare ahead of time etc. I have an interview aligned for march 16th and I'm nervous because this is my only shot